bless the jews
daily christian quotes

Seri Kembangan, Malaysia

#4580 Jan 12, 2013
A sinful act involves worship of the wrong kind, submitting ourselves at that moment to serve the appetites of our pride or lust, and so repentance is literally a transfer of our worship back to the One who rightfully owns it..... Worship has been misunderstood as something that arises from a feeling which "comes upon you," but it is vital that we understand that it is rooted in a conscious act of the will, to serve and obey the Lord Jesus Christ. The feelings, the joy of having been forgiven, follow on as a consequence of our reunion with him.

The gospel is for the salvation of the world, and we are sometimes in danger of locking ourselves inside the rescue-shop and plundering the stock of blessings for the sole purpose of spiritual self-gratification, while millions stream empty- handed past the closed doors into eternal darkness, hearing the joyful sounds and seeing the advertisements, but never being given a chance to test the goods.

It is far too easy, within the current upsurge of creative input in the realm of worship, to find ourselves chasing spiritual or aesthetic experiences, as if the highest achievement of our whole pilgrimage on earth were to enter some kind of praise-induced ecstasy! I am, in fact, all in favour of spiritual experiences when they are genuine, and welcome ecstasies that are the gifts of God and not artificially induced, but if such things become the AIM of our gatherings for worship, then we have turned the gospel upside down.

If...we know Him by the revelation of the Holy Spirit and in our daily experience of Him as a personal loving heavenly Father, and are acquainted with both His gentleness and His awesome holiness, we will run to Him as children with open arms and yet deepest respect. The most important Person who ever existed loves you and me! The Creator of the universe has revealed Himself as having the tender heart of loving Father, and has by his Spirit made us His true-born children. He knows your name, He knows my name, He laughs and weeps with us! In Him we have discovered that we are valued infinitely far above our worth. How can we keep quiet about such a God?

Our approach to God is conditioned by our concept of Him, whether accurate or distorted. If we suspect that He is too busy with more important matters, as if we think there is a great queue in front of us, we won't want to bother Him. If we see Him as a tyrant, watching sternly for any false moves, ready with a big stick to wallop us, we will come very warily! If, on the other had, we see Him as a soft and indulgent "super-daddy," we may come presumptuously, blundering carelessly onto holy ground.

Graham Kendrick
Website

Sin and disease are evil, definite evil, not imperfect good; they do not call for improvement, they call for destruction.

G. Geoffrey Studdert Kennedy
Sermon Series - Online

The Psychologist: He takes the saints to pieces And labels all their parts, He tabulates the secrets Of loyal, loving hearts. His reasoning is perfect, His proofs are plain as paint. He has but one small weakness, He cannot make a saint.

Sermon Series - Online
daily christian quotes

Seri Kembangan, Malaysia

#4582 Jan 12, 2013
Religion [christianity] leaves a million questions unanswered and apparently unanswerable. Its purpose and object is not to make a man certain and cocksure about everything but to make him certain about those things of which he must be certain if he is to live a human life at all. Religion [christianity] does not relieve us from the duty of thought; it makes it possible for a man to begin thinking. It does not put an end to research and enquiry, it gives a basis from which real research is made possible and fruitful of results; a basis without which thinking only means wandering round in circles, and getting nowhere in the end, and research means battering at a brass door that bruises our knuckles, and does not yield by the millionth part of an inch.

God created us with an overwhelming desire to soar. Our desire to develop and use every ounce of potential He's placed in us is not egotistical. He designed us to be tremendously productive and "to mount up with wings like eagles," realistically dreaming of what He can do with our potential.

Carol Kent
Speak Up

Growth takes time. God knows that. I know that. And to my surprise, His abundance is mine in the process -- not as a prize at the end.

The sins against hope are despair, as anticipated failure, and presumption, as anticipated fulfilment. In both these cases man seeks to break out of his pilgrim existence and have his life otherwise than from the hand of God.

Ferdinand Kerstiens

"Yes, Lord! Jesus, I give all of this to you. Jesus," I just started out a dream for my neighbourhood. "I didn't ask you to make me a messenger to the world. I just wanted to love neighbours. But Jesus, here it is. Here's my future, here's my loneliness, here are all the pressures, here are the criticisms", and I gave Him everything. And I told Him to take me again and I would try to make "Yes, Lord" the continuing motto of my life.

Ann Kiemel Anderson

Never cease loving a person, and never give up hope for him, for even the prodigal son who had fallen most low, could still be saved; the bitterest enemy and also he who was your friend could again be your friend; love that has grown cold can kindle again.

Soren Kierkegaard
Kierkegaard on the Web

I cannot pray in the name of Jesus to have my own will; the name of Jesus is not a signature of no importance, but the decisive factor. The fact that the name of Jesus comes at the beginning does not make it a prayer in the name of Jesus; but this means to pray in such a manner that I dare name Jesus in it, that is to say, dare to think of Him, think His holy will together with whatever I am praying for.

Soren Kierkegaard
Kierkegaard on the Web
daily christian quotes

Seri Kembangan, Malaysia

#4583 Jan 12, 2013
People are often unreasonable, illogical, and self-centered; Forgive them anyway. If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives; Be kind anyway. If you are successful, you will win some false friends and some true enemies; Succeedanyway. If you are honest and frank, people may cheat you; Be honest and frank anyway. What you spend years building, someone could destroy overnight; Build anyway. If you find serenity and happiness, they may be jealous; Be happy anyway. The good you do today, people will often forget tomorrow; Do good anyway. Give the world the best you have,and it may never be enough; Give the world the best you've got anyway. You see, in the final analysis, it is between you and God; It was never between you and them anyway.

Kent M. Keith

Deep within there is a glorious and terrible empty space - loneliness. It is out of sight, pushing us to our best and to our worst. Behind every effort to make a friend - Behind ambition - Behind pride - Behind gossip - Behind memories of your mother's kitchen - Loneliness. We were created with the space carefully planted in our hearts. God created us with the loneliness that moves the heart to others, the loneliness that moves the heart at last to God. Is it what moves us to become whole.

David Kidd

God is there to meet you in the center of all your trials, and to whisper His secrets, which will make you come forth with a shining face and an indomitable faith that all the demons of hell shall never afterwards cause to waver.

E. A. Kilbourne
Oriental Missionary Society (OMS International)

God is there to meet you in the centre of all your trials, and to whisper His secrets, which will make you come forth with a shining face and an indomitable faith that all the demons of hell shall never afterwards cause to waver.

E. A. Kilbourne
Oriental Missionary Society (OMS International)

Repentance was perhaps best defined by a small girl: It's to be sorry enough to quit.

C. H. Kilmer

Slowly, slowly, if we plug ourselves into the socket of God's way, God's truth and God's life, we will begin to see God's plan for our lives and for the world. If we are attentive to God, and make ourselves present to him, we will begin to know what to pray for in our intercessory prayer. As we begin to plug ourselves into God, we will start to ask for the right things, and our prayers will start to be answered. As Jesus says in the Gospel, "Whatever you ask in my name, I will do it, that the Father may be glorified in the Son; if you ask anything in my name, I will do it." But to ask for anything in Jesus's name means we must first be plugged into God's way, his truth and his life.

Benjamin J King

The very possibility of friendship with God transfigures life. This tends inevitably to deepen every human friendship, to make it vastly more significant.

Harry King

Cowardice asks the question: is it safe? Expediency asks the question: is it politic? Vanity asks the question: is it popular? But conscience asks the question: is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular - but one must take it simply because it is right.

Martin Luther King Jr.
daily christian quotes

Seri Kembangan, Malaysia

#4584 Jan 12, 2013
Everybody can be great...because anybody can serve. You don't have to have a college degree to serve. You don't have to make your subject and verb agree to serve. you only need a heart full of grace. a soul generated by love. We will have to repent in this generation not merely for the hateful words and actions of the bad people, but for the appalling silence of the good people.

Martin Luther King, Jr.
Biography

Make it a rule, and pray to God to help you to keep it, never, if possible, to lie down at night without being able to say: "I have made one human being at least a little wiser, or a little happier, or at least a little better this day." One good man, one man who does not put on his religion once a week with his Sunday coat, but wears it for his working dress, and lets the thought of God grow into him, and through and through him, till everything he says and does becomes religious, that man is worth a thousand sermons -- he is a living Gospel -- he comes in the spirit and power of Elias -- he is the image of God. And men see his good works, and admire them in spite of themselves, and see that they are God-like, and that God's grace is no dream, but that the Holy Spirit is still among men, and that all nobleness and manliness is His gift, His stamp, His picture: and so they get a glimpse of God again in His saints and heroes, and glorify their Father who is in heaven. Thank God every morning when you get up that you have something to do that day which must be done, whether you like it or not. Being forced to work, and forced to do your best, will breed in you temperance and self-control, diligence and strength of will, cheerfulness and content, and a hundred virtues which the idle never know. If you, your heart, your will, are enlisted on the good side, if you are wishing and trying that the good in you should conquer the bad, then you are on the side of God Himself, and God is on your side; and "if God be for us, who shall be against us?" Take courage, then. If thou dislikest thy sins, so does God. If thou art fighting against thy worst feelings, so is God. On thy side is God who made all, and Christ who died for all, and the Holy Spirit who alone gives wisdom purity, nobleness. How canst thou fail when He is on thy side? On thy side are all spirits of just men made perfect, all wise and good souls in earth and heaven, all good and wholesome influences, whether of nature or of grace, of matter or of mind. How canst thou fail if they are on thy side?

Charles Kingsley

When we learn to say a deep, passionate yes to the things that really matter... then peace begins to settle onto our lives like golden sunlight sifting to a forest floor.

Thomas Kinkade
daily christian quotes

Seri Kembangan, Malaysia

#4585 Jan 12, 2013
The entrance into Jerusalem [on Palm Sunday] has all the elements of theatre of the absurd: the poor king; truth comes riding on a donkey; symbolic actions -- even parading without a permit! Also, when Jesus "set his face to go to Jerusalem," what was involved was direct action, an open confrontation and public demonstration of the incompatibility of evil with the Kingdom of God.

David Kirk

Before I can have any joy in being alone with God I must have learned not to fear being alone with myself. Shrinking from any deep self-scrutiny is by no means an uncommon thing, and often goes far to explain the feverish restlessness with which a world-loving heart plunges into perpetual rounds of gaieties and dissipations; they serve as an escape from troublesome questions about the soul, and help to get rid of the clamours of conscience.

G. H. Knight

[In a] natural fear of lowering the Divine dignity of Christ, we often forget His true humanity. We think of His earthly life as moving on a plane so different from ours that no parallel can be drawn between them. What we forget is, that He too needed to walk by faith, needed to be filled with the Holy Spirit, needed the sympathy of loving friends, needed the strengthening that is gained by private prayer. His strong and beautiful, serene and holy life so fills the eye that we lose sight of His secret intimacy with the Father, out of which came all its beauty, all its power.

G. H. Knight

You are in your own houses bishops and kings...let there be worship of God morning and evening...and let no day slip over without some comfort received of the word of God. When I think of those who have influenced my life the most, I think not of the great but of the good.

John Knox

The real conflict is inner conflict. Beyond armies of occupation and the catacombs of concentration camps, there are two irreconcilable enemies in the depth of every soul: good and evil, sin and love. And what use are victories on the battle-field if we ourselves are defeated in our innermost personal selves?

Maximilian Kolbe
Biography and Tribute
daily christian quotes

Seri Kembangan, Malaysia

#4586 Jan 12, 2013
When you stand before His gate, knock loudly and boldly. Do not knock as a beggar knocks, but as one who belongs to the house. Not as a vagabond, who is afraid of the police, but as a friend and an intimate acquaintance. Not as one who is apprehensive of being troublesome, or of coming at an improper time, but as a guest who may rest assured of a hearty welcome.

Dr. F. W. Krummacher

I surrendered unto Him all there was of me; everything! Then for the first time I realized what it meant to have real power.

Kathryn Kuhlman
Foundation

I swell with pride when I can face the whole world and say, "I belong to Him. The mighty God of this universe is my heavenly Father. I'm His by adoption. I'm a joint-heir with His wonderful Son' In that moment when you're prone to be depressed, when you find yourself in the spirit of bondage, look up. just pause and remember to whom you belong.

Kathryn Kuhlman
Foundation

It is wonderful how the exercise of one's will in a matter like this will eventuate in the correct emotions. Determining to wish that person's good; deliberately trying to do something loving for him; and praying for him - all this will some day bring about the emotion of love itself. But love, as the Bible interprets it, is an affair of the will, not necessarily of the emotions. If this obstacle is from Thee, Lord, I accept it; but if it is from Satan, I refuse him and all his works in the name of Calvary.

Isobel Kuhn
Wheaton College Articles

We should preach the Gospel in a way suitable to the enquirer ... Is it really becoming to urge people who know nothing about the being of God to believe in the Lord Jesus Christ?

W. Kuhrt

To have faith is to rely upon Christ, the Person, with the whole heart. It is not the understanding of the mind, not theological opinion, not creed, not organization, not ritual. It is the koinonia of the whole personality with God and Christ,... This experience of communion with Christ is itself the continual attitude of dependence on the Saviour which we call faith.

Kokichi Kurosaki
daily christian quotes

Seri Kembangan, Malaysia

#4587 Jan 12, 2013
Fellowship between God and man, interrupted by the sin of the first Adam, was reopened by redemption bought with the blood of the last Adam. Now anyone can have direct koinonia with God and share His very life --anyone can live a life of love and unity with Christ. This is really the centre of Christianity, and "faith" is nothing other than the state of having this life union with God. To be justified by faith means that God has access to repentant sinners through Christ and is thus able to enjoy this koinonia with them.

Kokichi Kurosaki

In the total expanse of human life there is not a single square inch of which the Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, That is mine!

Abraham Kuyper

Satan knows that he can undermine the structure of the church by slyly removing just one fundamental doctrine at a time. He frequently loosens a large foundation gradually, chiseling it away bit by bit. That is why tolerance for the sake of peace may be dangerous. One step by giving in will lead to a next step, and will not God visit us with blindness if we deliberately darken the truth He has graciously entrusted to us. How shall we justify ourselves if we permit even a little of the truth to be laid aside? Is that ours to do? When peace is injurious to the truth, peace must give way. Peace with God is of greater value than peace with men.

Abraham Kuyper
daily christian quotes

Seri Kembangan, Malaysia

#4588 Jan 12, 2013
To know Christ is the way to grow in holiness. Christianity is not a religion of rules. It is the religion of the divine example. Try to follow the blessed steps of the most holy life. Take His advice. Ask yourself, in the moment of perplexity or temptation, what would He do if He were here? Nothing else will so surely lead us into the way of holy living.

George Hodges

Never tolerate through sympathy with yourself or with others any practice that is not in keeping with a holy God. Holiness means unsullied walking with the feet, unsullied talking with the tongue, unsullied thinking with the mind - every detail of the life under the scrutiny of God. Holiness is not only what God gives me, but what I manifest that God has given me.

Oswald Chambers
My Utmost for His Highest

What gives us conviction of sin is not the number of sins we have committed; it is the sight of the holiness of God.

Martyn Lloyd-Jones
Martyn Lloyd-Jones Website

People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord.

D.A. Carson
Biography

If there is not at least a yearning in our hearts to live a holy life pleasing to God, we need to seriously question whether our faith in Christ is genuine.

Jerry Bridges
Navigators

I believe the holier a man becomes, the more he mourns over the unholiness which remains in him.

Charles Haddon Spurgeon
The Spurgeon Archive

In the final analysis our great problem with holiness is not that our concepts of holiness are feeble, but that our hearts are rebellious. We are selfish, that's our problem. And the fact that we often won't admit our selfishness shows how deep the pride goes.

Floyd McClung

Common experience declares how momentary and how useless are those violent fits and gusts of endeavours which proceed from fear and uncertainty, both in things spiritual and things temporal, or civil. Whilst men are under the power of actual impressions from such fears, they will convert to God, yea, they will turn in a moment, and perfect their holiness in an instant; but so soon as that impression wears off (as it will do on every occasion, and upon none at all) such persons are as dead and cold towards God as the lead or iron, which but now ran in a fiery stream, is now when the heat is departed from it.

John Owen
Biography-Website

He who has learned to pray has learned the greatest secret of a holy and happy life.

William Law
Biography and Works
daily christian quotes

Seri Kembangan, Malaysia

#4589 Jan 12, 2013
Holiness has never been the driving force of the majority. It is, however, mandatory for anyone who wants to enter the kingdom.

Elisabeth Elliot
Elisabeth Elliot's Website

If we do not abide in prayer, we will abide in temptation. Let this be one aspect of our daily intercession: "God, preserve my soul, and keep my heart and all its ways so that I will not be entangled." When this is true in our lives, a passing temptation will not overcome us. We will remain free while others lie in bondage.

John Owen
Biography-Website

Give up the struggle and the fight; relax in the omnipotence of the Lord Jesus; look up into His lovely face and as you behold Him, He will transform you into His likeness. You do the beholding - He does the transforming. There is no short-cut to holiness.

Alan Redpath
Brief Biography And List Of Works

The pursuit of holiness is a joint venture between God and the Christian. No one can attain any degree of holiness without God working in his life, but just as surely no one will attain it without effort on his own part. God has made it possible for us to walk in holiness. But He has given to us the responsibility of doing the walking; He does not do that for us.

Jerry Bridges
Navigators

Some Christians spend the first six days of each week sowing their wild oats, then they go to church on Sunday and pray for a crop failure.

Anonymous

I've discovered I cannot fight the demons of busyness directly. I cannot continuously say "No" to this or "No" to that, unless there is something ten times more attractive to choose. Saying "No" to my lust, my greed, my needs, and the world's powers takes an enormous amount of energy. The only hope is to find something so obviously real and attractive that I can devote all my energies to saying "Yes." In effect, I don't have time to pay any attention to the distractions.

Henri J. M. Nouwen
Nouwen Centre

If you want to be holy, be kind.

Frederick Buechner
Short Biography
daily christian quotes

Seri Kembangan, Malaysia

#4590 Jan 12, 2013
In the final analysis our greatest problem with holiness is not that our concepts of holiness are feeble, but that our hearts are rebellious. We are selfish, that's our problem. And the fact that we often won't admit our selfishness shows how deep the pride goes.

Floyd McClung

The strong hands of God twisted the crown of thorns into a crown of glory; and in such hands we are safe.

Charles Williams

Fretting springs from a determination to get our own way!

Oswald Chambers
My Utmost for His Highest

Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow; it empties today of its strength.

Corrie Ten Boom
Corrie Ten Boom Museum

Suggestions for Fasting and Feasting: Fast from discontent; feast on thankfulness. Fast from worry; feast on trust. Fast from anger; feast on patience. Fast from self-concern; feast on compassion for others. Fast from unrelenting pressures; feast on unceasing prayers . Fast from bitterness; feast on forgiveness. Fast from discouragement, feast on hope. Fast from media hype, feast on the honesty of the Bible. Fast from idle gossip; feast on purposeful silence. Fast from problems that overwhelm; feast on prayer that undergirds.

Anonymous

We often think of great faith as something that happens spontaneously so that we can be used for a miracle or healing. However, the greatest faith of all, and the most effective, is to live day by day trusting Him. It is trusting Him so much that we look at every problem as an opportunity to see His work in our life. It is not worrying, but rather trusting and abiding in the peace of God that will crush anything that Satan tries to do to us. If the Lord created the world out of chaos, He can easily deal with any problem that we have.

Rick Joyner
MorningStar Ministries

We sometimes fear to bring our troubles to God, because they must seem small to Him who sitteth on the circle of the earth. But if they are large enough to vex and endanger our welfare, they are large enough to touch His heart of love. For love does not measure by a merchant's scales, not with a surveyor's chain. It hath a delicacy... unknown in any handling of material substance.

(Reuben Archer) R. A. Torrey
Biography and Works

We are not necessarily doubting that God will do the best for us; we are wondering how painful the best will turn out to be.

(Clive Staples) C. S. Lewis
Into The Wardrobe

Do not scrutinize so closely whether you are doing much or little, ill or well, so long as what you do is not sinful and that you are heartily seeking to do everything for God. Try as far as you can to do everything well, but when it is done, do not think about it. Try, rather, to think of what is to be done next. Go on simply in the Lord's way, and do not torment yourself. We ought to hate our faults, but with a quiet, calm hatred; not pettishly and anxiously.

Francis de Sales
Biography and Works
daily christian quotes

Seri Kembangan, Malaysia

#4591 Jan 12, 2013
It is of no use to say to men, "Let not your heart be troubled," unless you finish the verse and say, "Believe in God, believe also in Christ."

Alexander MacLaren
Biography and Online Library

On days when life is difficult and I feel overwhelmed, as I do fairly often, it helps to remember in my prayers that all God requires of me is to trust Him and be His friend. I find I can do that.

Bruce Larson

I was regretting the past and fearing the future. Suddenly God was speaking: "My name is I am." I waited and God continued: "When you live in the past, with its mistakes and regrets, it is hard. I am not there. My name is not I was. When you live in the future, with its problems and fears, it is hard. I am not there. My name is not I will be. When you live in this moment, it is not hard. I am here. My name is I AM."

Helen Mellincost

Our lives are full of supposes. Suppose this should happen, or suppose that should happen; what could we do; how could we bear it? But, if we are living in the high tower of the dwelling place of God, all these supposes will drop out of our lives. We shall be quiet from the fear of evil, for no threatenings of evil can penetrate into the high tower of God. Even when walking through the valley of the shadow of death, the psalmist could say, will fear no evil; and, if we are dwelling in God, we can say so too.

Hannah Whitall Smith
Online Books

I had feelings of fear about the future...The devil kept on whispering, "It's all right now, but what about afterward? You are going to be very lonely"....And I turned to my God in a kind of desperation and said "Lord, what can I do? How can I go on to the end?" And He said, "None of them that trust in Me shall be desolate." That word has been with me ever since.

Amy Carmichael
Biography And Bibliography
On 'weighing the cost' of full time missionary work

Be not miserable about what may happen tomorrow. The same everlasting Father, who cares for you today, will care for you tomorrow.

Francis de Sales
Biography and Works

Anything big enough to occupy our minds is big enough to hang a prayer on.

George Macdonald
The Golden Key Website
daily christian quotes

Seri Kembangan, Malaysia

#4592 Jan 12, 2013
Peace does not dwell in outward things, but within the soul; we may preserve it in the midst of bitterest pain, if our will remains firm and submissive. Peace in this life springs from acquiescence to, not in exemption from, suffering.

Francois Fenelon
Francois Fenelon Biography

Neither go back in fear and misgiving to the past, nor in anxiety and forecasting to the future, but lie quiet under His hand, having no will but His.

H. E. Manning
Online Article

We yield to discouragement it is usually because we give too much thought to the past and to the future.

Anonymous

Every tomorrow has two handles. We can take hold of it by the handle of anxiety, or by the handle of faith.

Henry Ward Beecher
Archives

Anxiety is not only a pain which we must ask God to assuage but also a weakness we must ask Him to pardon; for He's told us to take no care for the morrow.

Into The Wardrobe

When a mother saw a thunderstorm forming in mid-afternoon, she worried about her seven-year-old daughter who would be walking the three blocks from school to home. Deciding to meet her, the mother saw her walking nonchalantly along, stopping to smile whenever lightning flashed. Seeing her mother, the little girl ran to her, explaining happily, "All the way home, God's been taking my picture!" Fear is often caused by our perspective.

Anonymous

Because God is my sovereign Lord, I was not worried. He manages perfectly, day and night, year in and year out, the movements of the stars, the wheeling of the planets, the staggering coordination of events that goes on the molecular level in order to hold things together. There is no doubt that he can manage the timing of my days and weeks.

Elisabeth Elliot

The beginning of anxiety is the end of faith; and the beginning of true faith is the end of anxiety.

George Muller
George Muller Foundation

Anxiety is the natural result when our hopes are centred in anything short of God and His will for us.

Billy Graham
Billy Graham Organization

Neither go back in fear and misgiving to the past, nor in anxiety and forecasting to the future, but lie quiet under His hand, having no will but His.

H. E. Manning
Online Article
daily christian quotes

Seri Kembangan, Malaysia

#4593 Jan 12, 2013
Perhaps God has been speaking to you and you wonder why you have troubles. Maybe you have suffered a financial loss and you find it very difficult to understand. Is God speaking to you in an effort to bring you back to Himself? You need to face these matters squarely and be honest with God as He deals with you.

Theodore Epp
Biography and Devotionals

Every evening I turn my troubles over to God - He's going to be up all night anyway.

Donald J. Morgan

It has been well said that no man ever sank under the burden of the day. It is when tomorrow's burden is added to the burden of today that the weight is more than a man can bear. Never load yourselves so, my friends. If you find yourselves so loaded, at least remember this: it is your own doing, not God's. He begs you to leave the future to Him, and mind the present.

George Macdonald
The Golden Key Website

If you are feeling cluttered in your spirit, ask yourself. "Is there clutter in my life? Do I have a closet full of closed and sealed boxes that have been untouched in years without being used?" So it can be in our spiritual life. Do you have spiritual gifts, treasures, insights and lessons learned that you have put away into storage and are not using? Give them away! Utilize them in your life today! Clear the closet!

Katherine Walden
I Lift My Eyes Web Ministries
daily christian quotes

Seri Kembangan, Malaysia

#4594 Jan 12, 2013
Lord, often have I thought to myself, I will sin but this one sin more, and then I will repent of it, and of all the rest of my sins together. So foolish was I, and ignorant. As if I should be more able to pay my debts when I owe more: or as if I should say, I will wound my friend once again, and then I will lovingly shake hands with him - but what if my friend will not shake hands with me?

Thomas Fuller
Thomas Fuller

True repentance will entirely change you; the bias of your souls will be changed, then you will delight in God, in Christ, in His Law, and in His people.

Sermons of George Whitefield

Conscience comes to us in lonely hours; it wakens us in the night; it stands at the side of the bed and says, Come, wake up and listen to me! And there it holds us with its remorseless eye; and our buried sins rise out of the grave of the past; they march by in melancholy procession; and we lie in terror looking at them. Nobody knows but ourselves. Next morning we go forth to business with a smiling face; but conscience has had its revenge.

James Stalker
Writings

Look upon your chastening as God's chariots sent to carry your soul into the high places of spiritual achievement.

Hannah Whitall Smith
Online Books

God is none other than the Saviour of our wretchedness. So we can only know God well by knowing our iniquities... Those who have known God without knowing their wretchedness have not glorified him, but have glorified themselves.

Blaise Pascal
Biography

Evangelical repentance is repentance of sin as sin: not of this sin nor of that, but of the whole mass. We repent of the sin of our nature as well as the sin of our practice. We bemoan sin within us and without us. We repent of sin itself as being an insult to God. Anything short of this is a mere surface repentance, and not a repentance which reaches to the bottom of the mischief. Repentance of the evil act, and not of the evil heart, is like men pumping water out of a leaky vessel, but forgetting to stop the leak. Some would dam up the stream, but leave the fountain still flowing; they would remove the eruption from the skin, but leave the disease in the flesh.

Charles Haddon Spurgeon
The Spurgeon Archive

Not until we have become humble and teachable, standing in awe of God's holiness and sovereignty... acknowledging our own littleness, distrusting our own thoughts, and willing to have our minds turned upside down, can divine wisdom become ours.

James I (J. I.) Packer
Brief Online Interview

The 7 Modern Sins:
Politics without principles
Pleasures without conscience
Wealth without work
Knowledge without character
Industry without morality
Science without humanity
Worship without sacrifice.
Canon Frederic Donaldson
daily christian quotes

Seri Kembangan, Malaysia

#4595 Jan 12, 2013
When we won't let ourselves be held in the midst of our messes by God who loves us and made us, we miss the unspeakable joy of knowing that we are truly His beloved.

Deborah Newman
Tea Time For Your Soul

There is one vice of which no man in the world is free; which every one in the world loathes when he sees it in someone else; and of which hardly any people, except Christians ever imagine that they are guilty themselves....The essential vice, the utmost evil, is Pride. Unchastity, anger, greed, drunkenness, and all that, are mere fleabites in comparison: it was through Pride that the devil became the devil; Pride leads to every other vice: it is the complete anti-God state of mind... As long as you are proud you cannot know God. A proud man is always looking down on things and people; and, of course, as long as you are looking down, you cannot see something that is above you.

Into The Wardrobe

The only way you can be delivered from that sin is to have your false expectations destroyed, once and for all. And that is precisely what happened between Palm Sunday and Good Friday . Jesus drew the false, sinful expectations of the world unto himself, absorbed them, and bore them on the cross. His death was the death of all of our false expectations, and therefore his death was the death of sin itself. The false piety of Palm Sunday is crucified on Good Friday and buried that night, in order that true faith in God might be created on Easter through the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Edwin Peterman

When old companions, old lusts, and sins crowd in upon you, and when you feel that you are ready to sink, what can save you, sinking sinner? This alone - I have a high priest in heaven, and he can support in the hour of affliction. This alone can give you peace - I have a high priest in heaven. When you are dying - when friends can do you no good - when sins rise up like spectres around your bed - what can give you peace? This - "I have a high priest in heaven"

Robert Murray M'Cheyne
Online Information

Do not scrutinize so closely whether you are doing much or little, ill or well, so long as what you do is not sinful and that you are heartily seeking to do everything for God. Try as far as you can to do everything well, but when it is done, do not think about it. Try, rather, to think of what is to be done next. Go on simply in the Lord's way, and do not torment yourself. We ought to hate our faults, but with a quiet, calm hatred; not pettishly and anxiously.

Francis de Sales
Biography and Works

If I am walking along the street with a very disfiguring hole in the back of my dress, of which I am in ignorance, it is certainly a very great comfort to me to have a kind friend who will tell me of it. And similarly it is indeed a comfort to know that there is always abiding with me a divine, all-seeing Comforter, who will reprove me for all my faults, and will not let me go on in a fatal unconsciousness of them.

Hannah Whitall Smith
Online Books

Lord, reform Thy world, beginning with me.

Anonymous

If we put off repentance another day, we have a day more to repent of, and a day less to repent in.

Mason

Do not be afraid to allow the Holy Spirit to reveal any unforgiveness or bitterness. The longer you hide it, the stronger it will become and the harder your heart will grow. Stay tenderhearted.

John Bevere
Website

It is impossible for a man to be freed from the habit of sin before he hates it, just as it is impossible to receive forgiveness before confessing his trespasses...

Ignatius
Biography
daily christian quotes

Seri Kembangan, Malaysia

#4596 Jan 12, 2013
Either sin is with you, lying on your shoulders, or it is lying on Christ, the Lamb of God. Now if it is lying on your back, you are lost; but if it is resting on Christ, you are free, and you will be saved. Now choose what you want.

Martin Luther
Biography and Information

Man's good opinion of himself makes him think it quite possible to win God's favour by his own religious performances; his bad opinion of God makes him unwilling and afraid to put his case wholly into His hands. The object of the Holy Spirit's work (in convincing of sin) is to alter the man's (sinner's) opinion of himself and so to reduce his estimate of his own character that he should think of himself as God does, and so cease to suppose it possible that he can be justified by any excellency of his own. The Spirit then alters his evil opinion of God, so as to make him see that the God with whom he has to do is really the God of all grace.

Horatius Bonar

To every toiling, heavy-laden sinner, Jesus says, "Come to me and rest". But there are many toiling, heavy-laden believers, too. For them this same invitation is meant. Note well the words of Jesus, if you are heavy-laden with your service, and do not mistake it. It is not, "Go, labour on," as perhaps you imagine. On the contrary, it is stop, turn back, "Come to me and rest." Never, never did Christ send a heavy laden one to work; never, never did He send a hungry one, a weary one, a sick or sorrowing one, away on any service. For such the Bible only says, "Come, come, come."

James Hudson Taylor
James Hudson Taylor Biography

Repentance is a school from which we should never graduate.

Pete Scazzero

It is one thing to have sin alarmed only by convictions, and another to have it crucified by converting grace. Many, because they have been troubled in conscience for their sins, think well of their case, miserably mistaking conviction for conversion.
daily christian quotes

Seri Kembangan, Malaysia

#4597 Jan 12, 2013
When you resort to shouting in conflict, you are reacting in the flesh. You have lost control of the only person you can control: yourself.

Neil T. Anderson
Freedom in Christ Ministries

A happy marriage is the union of two good forgivers.

Robert Quillen

No husband is so undying and everlasting a husband as Christ is; death separates all other relations, but the soul's union with Christ is not dissolved in the grave. Indeed, the day of a believer's death is his marriage day, the day of his fullest enjoyment of Christ. No husband can say to his wife, what Christ says to the believer, "I will never leave you, nor forsake you"

John Flavel
Biography and Online Works

What you are as a single person, you will be as a married person, only to a greater degree. Any negative character trait will be intensified in a marriage relationship, because you will feel free to let your guard down -- that person has committed himself to you and you no longer have to worry about scaring him off.

Josh McDowell
Website

Part of being a good spouse is to help keep your home in order, putting everything in its place. However, it is not your duty to put your spouse in their place.

Anonymous

It is impossible for two people to live together without being a source of mutual suffering, and as we cause others to suffer, it is but just that we should bear with their failings also and such a burden is light since Jesus Christ helps us to carry it. Do not therefore be so lacking in sense, so unreasonable and so unchristian as to pretend that you should not have to suffer anything from your Brothers and Sisters. This would be truly asking a most unheard of and extraordinary miracle. Do not expect to see such a thing during the whole of your life.

John Baptist de La Salle
Biography

The love of a wife to her husband may begin from the supply of her necessities, but afterwards she may love him also for the sweetness of his person; so the soul first loves Christ for salvation but when she is brought to Him and finds what sweetness there is in Him then she loves Him for Himself.

Richard Sibbes
Brief Biography and Article

The proof that you love someone is not that you have warm affectionate feelings toward them. The proof is in your actions, your words and your sacrifice, your willingness to give the best of yourself and your willingness to get nothing in return.

Katherine Walden

Christ's life unfolds, in part, as we learn to appreciate the gifts He has given us. How easy it is to blame others for our unhappiness, but we are only unhappy when something other than Christ has become our life.(For example) The husband or wife who has Christ as their life, comes to their spousal relationship already satisfied. They do not come continually looking to made happy by another person's attention; they bring Christ's life to their spouse.

Francis Frangipane
Ministries of Francis Frangipane
daily christian quotes

Seri Kembangan, Malaysia

#4598 Jan 12, 2013
Marriage is not finding the right person, it is being the right person.

Anonymous

The single most important element in any human relationship is honesty - with oneself, with God, and with others.

Catherine Marshall
Biography

Romantic love is blind to everything except what is lovable and lovely, but Christ's love sees us with terrible clarity and sees us whole. Christ's love so wishes our joy that it is ruthless against everything in us that diminishes our joy. The worst sentence Love can pass is that we behold the suffering which Love has endured for our sake, and that is also our acquittal. The justice and mercy of the judge are ultimately one.

Frederick Buechner
Short Biography
quotes

Seri Kembangan, Malaysia

#4599 Jan 12, 2013
Tell me how it is that in this room there are three candles and but one light, and I will explain to you the mode of the divine existence.

John Wesley
Wesley Centre

Lorica

I arise today
Through a mighty strength, the invocation of the Trinity,
Through a belief in the Threeness,
Through confession of the Oneness
Of the Creator of creation.

I arise today
Through the strength of Christ's birth and His baptism,
Through the strength of His crucifixion and His burial,
Through the strength of His resurrection and His ascension,
Through the strength of His descent for the judgement of doom.

..... I arise today
Through God's strength to pilot me;
God's might to uphold me,
God's wisdom to guide me,
God's eye to look before me,
God's ear to hear me,
God's word to speak for me,
God's hand to guard me,
God's way to lie before me,
God's shield to protect me,
God's hosts to save me
From snares of the devil,
From temptations of vices,
From every one who desires me ill,
Afar and anear,
Alone or in a multitude.

Patrick of Ireland

Patrick of Ireland

Bring me a worm that can comprehend a man, and then I will show you a man that can comprehend the Triune God.

John Wesley
Wesley Centre

Many, who often hear the gospel of Christ, are yet but little affected, because they are void of the Spirit of Christ. But whosoever would fully and feelingly understand the words of Christ, must endeavour to make all his life like in its beauty unto His. What will it avail thee to dispute profoundly of the Trinity, if thou be void of humility, and art thereby displeasing to the Trinity?.... If thou didst know the whole Bible by heart, and the sayings of all the philosophers, what would all that profit thee without the love of God and without grace.

Thomas a Kempis
quotes

Seri Kembangan, Malaysia

#4601 Jan 12, 2013
While I was in Tibet I saw a Buddhist, a monk, who had lived for five or six years in a cave. When he went into the cave he had good eyesight. But because he stayed so long in the darkness his eyes grew weaker and weaker, and at last he became quite blind. It is just the same with us. If we do not use the blessings which we have received from God for His Glory, we are in danger of losing them for ever.

Sadhu Sundar Singh

A Short Biography

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 2 min DENG 38,047
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 3 min Rosa_Winkel 30,091
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 min truth 638,058
REPORT: Prince's red blood cell count was EXTRE... 8 min Doctor REALITY 1
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 10 min good advice 617,978
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 12 min onemale 280,525
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 17 min pusherman 968,905
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 22 min good advice 43,922
More from around the web