bless the jews
godly people

Seri Kembangan, Malaysia

#4560 Jan 11, 2013
When Unclothed Is Unfitting :

Thoughts on Selling with Sex

Jonathan Edwards once said that godly people can, as it were, smell the depravity of an act before they can explain why it evil. There is a spiritual sense that something is amiss. It does not fit in a world permeated with God.

Ephesians 5:3 says that some things "are not fitting" among saints." "Fitting-ness" is not always easy to justify with arguments. You discern it before you can defend it. That's good, because we have to make hundreds of choices every day with no time for extended reflection.
But from time to time we need to pause and give rational, biblical expression why something is not fitting. Some years ago I came to that point when, week after week, a local newspaper put scantily clad women on the second page of Section A in order to sell underclothes. I wrote a letter to the paper with nine reasons why they should stop using this kind of advertising.

Perhaps my reflections will help you deal with the hundreds of abuses of God's good gift of sexuality in our culture. Here is what I wrote.

As a 14-year subscriber and reader of the [name of paper omitted], I am writing to express the persuasion that your sexually explicit ads that often turn up in Section A are increasingly offensive and socially irresponsible. I mean that the effectiveness of catching people's attention by picturing a woman in her underclothes does not justify the ads. The detrimental effects of such mercenary misuse of the female body are not insignificant. The harm I have in mind is described in the following nine persuasions.

1. This woman could not go out in public dressed like that without being shamed or being mentally aberrant. Yet you thrust her out, even in front of those of us who feel shame for her.

2. This portrayal of a woman sitting in her underclothes at a table with a cup of tea disposes men to think of women not as persons but mainly in terms of their bodies. It stimulates young boys to dwell on unclothed women's bodies and thus lames their ability to deal with women as dignified persons. I have four sons.

3. The ad stimulates sexual desire which in thousands of men has no legitimate or wholesome outlet through marriage. In other words, it feeds a corporate, community lust that bears no good fruit outside marriage, but in fact many ills.
godly people

Seri Kembangan, Malaysia

#4561 Jan 11, 2013
4. The ad makes sensibilities callous so that fewer and fewer offenses against good taste feel unacceptable, which spells the collapse of precious and delicate aspects of personhood and relationships.

5. The ad makes thousands of women subconsciously measure their attractiveness and worth by the standard of rarefied, unrealistic models, leading to an unhealthy and discouraging preoccupation with outward looks.

6. The ad feeds the prurient fantasies of ordinary men, lodging a sexual image in their minds for the day which can rob them of the ability to think about things greater and nobler than skin.

7. The ad condones the proclivity of males to mentally unclothe women by reminding them what they would see if they did, and by suggesting that there are women who want to be publicly unclothed in this way. This reminder and this suggestion support habits and stereotypes that weaken personal virtue and jeopardize decorous relationships.

8. The ad encourages young girls to put excessive focus on their bodies and how they will be looked at, adding to the epidemic of depression and eating disorders.

9. The ad contributes to dissatisfaction in men whose wives can't produce that body and thus adds to the instability of marriages and homes.

I realize that the bottom line is big bucks for page two, and lots of attention for [name of department store omitted]. But please know that at least one assessment of your standards of fitness for print is that it is part of a tragic loss of modesty and decency that may, for now, feel like mature liberation, but in generations to come will reap a whirlwind of misery for all of us.

From John Piper, A Godward Life, published by Multnomah Books.
the bible

Seri Kembangan, Malaysia

#4562 Jan 12, 2013
November 10, 2003

The Bible is one of the greatest blessings bestowed by God on the children of men. It has God for its Author, salvation for its end, and truth without any mixture for its matter. It is all pure, all sincere; nothing too much; nothing wanting!
daily christian quotes

Seri Kembangan, Malaysia

#4563 Jan 12, 2013
Daily Christian Quotes -

August 5, 2003

World peace will come only when all mankind turns wholeheartedly to God in complete humility and voluntary unconditional surrender. Until human nature is changed, we'll have war.

Robert Page

November 22, 2003

It's bad when you fail morally. It's worse when you don't repent.

Luis Palau
Luis Palau Evangelistic Organization

June 22, 2007

When you face the perils of weariness, carelessness, and confusion, don't pray for an easier life. Pray instead to be a stronger man or woman of God.

Luis Palua
Ministry Site

November 5, 2008

Prayer is like riding a bicycle or swimming. You learn by doing.

Luis Palau

June 28, 2010

God is not disillusioned with us. He never had any illusions to begin with.

Luis Palau

November 19, 2011

Repentance is the biblical, correct response to guilt. The moment we committed our life to Christ, our sins-past, present, and future-were forgiven. God's righteousness was satisfied. But now we must maintain fellowship with, dependence on, and obedience to God. This necessitates confessing our sins to our Lord as we become aware of them. C. S. Lewis said true guilt is an inner alarm system that reveals sin in our lives and shows our loss of fellowship with God. The Holy Spirit uses guilt to prompt us to turn from our sin and back to the Lord.

Luis Palau

June 11, 2012

Repentance is the biblical, correct response to guilt. The moment we committed our life to Christ, our sins-past, present, and future-were forgiven. God's righteousness was satisfied. But now we must maintain fellowship with, dependence on, and obedience to God. This necessitates confessing our sins to our Lord as we become aware of them. C. S. Lewis said true guilt is an inner alarm system that reveals sin in our lives and shows our loss of fellowship with God. The Holy Spirit uses guilt to prompt us to turn from our sin and back to the Lord.

Luis Palau
daily christian quotes

Seri Kembangan, Malaysia

#4564 Jan 12, 2013
Be ye angry, and sin not; therefore all anger is not sinful, because some degree of it, and on some occasions, is inevitable. But it becomes sinful and contradicts the rule of Scripture when it is conceived upon slight and inadequate provocation, and when it continues long.

William Paley
Biography

When you and I want direction for our lives, we may not always be clear about it or certain that the direction has been given - even when we get it. That's not always because of weak faith. That may be just our human inability to know what God knows. God sees our tomorrows; we don't. Years of experience have taught me that God will probably leave me alone if I'm on the right path, but He will give me a good shove in the right direction if I'm not.

Roger C. Palms
Short Article

Humans need Jesus Christ as a necessity and not as a luxury. You may be pleased to have flowers, but you must have bread.... Jesus is not a phenomenon, He is bread: Christ is not a curiosity, He is water. As surely as we cannot live without bread, we cannot live truly without Christ: If we know not Christ we are not living, our movement is a mechanical flutter, our pulse is but the stirring of an animal life.

Joseph Parker

When you felt inclined to pray it was Jesus Christ who moved you in that direction. When you said, I think I see more clearly today; truth seems to be enlarging,- it was Christ who was performing a miracle upon you. Trace all happy impulse, all sacred inspiration, all ennobling influence, to the touch, the glance, the benediction of Christ.

Joseph Parker

We are waiting for help, waiting till we get a little round, waiting till the ship comes in, waiting for sympathy, waiting for a friend without whose presence there seems to be nobody on the face of the earth, waiting: The method which means patience, hope, content, assurance that God will in his own due course and time redeem his promises and make the heart strong; the other method of waiting is a method of fretfulness, and vexation, and impatience, and distrust, and complaining,- and that kind of thing wears the soul out.

Joseph Parker

My deep definition of sovereignty - He is God, and you are not!

Rod Parsley

Lord, for tomorrow and its needs, I do not pray; Keep me, my God, from stain of sin just for today. Let me both diligently work, And duly pray. Let me be kind in word and deed, Just for today. Let me be slow to do my will, Prompt to obey; Help me to sacrifice myself Just for today. And if today my tide of life should ebb away, Give me thy sacraments divine, Sweet Lord today. So for tomorrow and its needs I do not pray, But keep me, guide me, love me, Lord, Just for today.

Sybil F. Partridge
Short Biography

You can be a "Thermometer" Christian or a "Thermostat" Christian. The thermometer registers and reflects the spiritual status around it - in other words "he's not acting holy so I'm not going to". But thermostat sets the temperature for the spiritual status around it. Thermostats walk into a room and go "it's a little cold in here Lord - let's heat it up". Thermostats are change agents and affect others around them. Don't go with the flow-be a thermostat.

Clint Pascal

There are always uncertainties ahead, but there is always one certainty--God's will is good.

Vernon Paterson

John Paton was making a translation of the Scriptures into a language spoken in the country where he was a missionary, and searched long for the world for "Faith". The natives had no word for "believe" One day, while working on his translation, a native entered his room, exhausted and flung himself down on the nearest chair, and placed his feet on the chair across from him. The native remarked how good it was to lean his whole weight into that chair. Dr Paton noted the word he had used for "lean his whole weight." He had his word for "believe".

John G. Paton

Biography
Lorica
daily christian quotes

Seri Kembangan, Malaysia

#4565 Jan 12, 2013
I arise today
Through a mighty strength, the invocation of the Trinity,
Through a belief in the Threeness,
Through confession of the Oneness
Of the Creator of creation.
I arise today
Through confession of the Oneness
Of the Creator of creation.
I arise today
Through the strength of Christ's birth and His baptism,
Through the strength of His crucifixion and His burial,
Through the strength of His resurrection and His ascension,
Through the strength of His descent for the judgment of doom.
I arise today
Through the strength of the love of cherubim,
In obedience of angels,
In service of archangels,
In the hope of resurrection to meet with reward,
In the prayers of patriarchs,
In preachings of the apostles,
In faiths of confessors,
In innocence of virgins,
In deeds of righteous men.
I arise today
Through the strength of heaven;
Light of the sun,
Splendor of fire,
Speed of lightning,
Swiftness of the wind,
Depth of the sea,
Stability of the earth,
Firmness of the rock.
I arise today
Through God's strength to pilot me;
God's might to uphold me,
God's wisdom to guide me,
God's eye to look before me,
God's ear to hear me,
God's word to speak for me,
God's hand to guard me,
God's way to lie before me,
God's shield to protect me,
God's hosts to save me
From snares of the devil,
From temptations of vices,
From every one who desires me ill,
Afar and anear,
Alone or in a multitude.
I summon today all these powers between me and evil
Against every cruel merciless power that opposes my body and soul,
Against incantations of false prophets,
Against black laws of pagandom,
Against false laws of heretics,
Against craft of idolatry,
Against spells of smiths and wizards,
Against every knowledge that corrupts man's body and soul.
Christ shield me today
Against poison, against burning,
Against drowning, against wounding,
So that reward may come to me in abundance.
Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me,
Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ on my right, Christ on my left,
Christ when I lie down, Christ when I sit down,
Christ in the heart of every man who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of every man who speaks of me,
Christ in the eye that sees me,
Christ in the ear that hears me.
I arise today
Through a confession of the Oneness
Of the Creator of creation
If you have a special need today, focus your full attention on the goodness and greatness of your Father rather than on the size of your need. Your need is tiny compared to His ability to meet it.
Bill Patterson
We ought indeed to expect to find the works of God in such things as the advance of knowledge. Knowledge of the physical universe is not to be thought of as irrelevant to Christian faith [simply] because it does not lead to saving knowledge of God. In so far as it is concerned with God's creation, physical science is a fitting study for God's children.

David M. Paton

Paint Jesus Christ upon your canvas, and then hold Him up to the people; but hold Him up so that not even your little finger can be seen.

Edward Payson
Biography
daily christian quotes

Seri Kembangan, Malaysia

#4566 Jan 12, 2013
The Centrality Of The Cross

Never believe anything bad about anybody unless you positively know it to be true; never tell even that unless you feel that it is absolutely necessary - and that God is listening while you tell it.

Biography

It is excellent to seek advice about everything, but only from those with experience. It is dangerous to ask questions of the inexperienced, because they do not possess discrimination. Discrimination knows when the time is ripe, what means to employ, the inner state of the questioner, what level he has reached, his strength, his degree of spiritual knowledge and his intention, as well as God's purpose and the meaning of Holy Scripture.

Peter of Damaskos

If you want to do something good, do it; and if you cannot do it, then resolve to do it, and you will have achieved the resolution even if you do not fulfill the action itself. Thus a habit, whether good or bad, can gradually and spontaneously be overcome. If this were not the case, no criminals would ever be saved, whereas in fact not only have they been saved, but many have become conspicuous for their excellence. Think what a great gulf separates the criminal from the saint ; yet resolution finally overcame habit.

Peter of Damascus

It is a great blessing from God that some parts of the Scriptures are clear while others are not. By means of the first we acquire faith and ardour and do not fall into disbelief and laziness because of our utter inability to grasp what is said. By means of the second we are roused to enquiry and effort, thus both strengthening our understanding and learning humility from the fact that everything is not intelligible to us.

Peter of Damaskos

Despise not thy neighbour, but think thyself as bad a sinner, and that the like defects may befall thee. If thou canst not excuse his doing, excuse his intent which may be good; or if the deed be evil, think it was done of ignorance; if thou canst no way excuse him, think some great temptation befell him, and that thou shouldst be worse if the like temptation befell thee; and give God thanks that the like as yet hath not befallen thee. Despise not a man being a sinner, for though he be evil to-day, he may turn tomorrow.

William Perkins

The only way you can be delivered from that sin is to have your false expectations destroyed, once and for all. And that is precisely what happened between Palm Sunday and Good Friday . Jesus drew the false, sinful expectations of the world unto himself, absorbed them, and bore them on the cross. His death was the death of all of our false expectations, and therefore his death was the death of sin itself. The false piety of Palm Sunday is crucified on Good Friday and buried that night, in order that true faith in God might be created on Easter through the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Edwin Peterman
daily christian quotes

Seri Kembangan, Malaysia

#4567 Jan 12, 2013
The world has a history of denouncing and killing messiahs who don't deliver what it wants. Moreover, the world does not want a God who is God over against the world. Rather, the world wants a lapdog god it can domesticate and control, a sweet god who indulges and blesses the sickness, the selfishness--in other words, the sinfulness of the world. The world does not want a messiah, or for that matter, doctors or lawyers or pastors or parents who give people what they need. The world wants a messiah and doctors and lawyers and pastors and parents who give people what they want.

Edwin Peterman

If we get our information from the biblical material there is no doubt that the Christian life is a dancing, leaping, daring life.

Eugene Peterson
Brief Biography

One of the indignities to which pastors are routinely subjected is to be approached, as a group of people are gathering for a meeting or meal, with the request, "Reverend, get things started for us with a little prayer, will ya?" It would be wonderful if we would counter by bellowing William McNamara's fantasized response: "I will not! There are no LITTLE prayers ! Prayer enters the lion's den, brings us before the holy where it is uncertain whether we will come back alive or sane, for "it is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of a living God.'"

Eugene Peterson
Brief Biography

The word 'christian' means different things to different people. To one person it means a stiff, upright, inflexible way of life, colourless and unbending. To another it means a risky, surprised-filled adventure, lived tiptoe at the edge of expectation...If we get our information from the biblical material, there is no doubt that the Christian life is a dancing, leaping, daring life.
Eugene Peterson
Brief Biography

No literature is more realistic and honest in facing harsh facts of life than the Bible. At no time is there the faintest suggestion that the life of faith exempts us from difficulties. What is promised is preservation from all the evil in them. All the water in the oceans annot sink a ship unless it gets inside. Nor can all the trouble in the world harm us unless it gets within us. That is the promise of Psalms 121. The Lord will keep you from all evil.

Eugene Peterson
Brief Biography

Never put a question mark where God puts a period.

Lyle Petty

It is all too easy for most of us to make a kind of split in our minds whereby one side of us says prayers or sings hymns or worships God in church, or at home, for that matter, while the other side of us remains cold and critical and unloving toward the people whom we meet day by day.

J.B. Phillips
Website
daily christian quotes

Seri Kembangan, Malaysia

#4568 Jan 12, 2013
If New Testament Christianity is to reappear today with its power and joy and courage, men must recapture the basic conviction that this is a Visited planet. It is not enough to express formal belief in the "Incarnation" or in the "Divinity of Christ"; the staggering truth must be accepted afresh -- that in this vast, mysterious universe, of which we are an almost infinitesimal part, the great Mystery, Whom we call God, has visited our planet in Person. It is from this conviction that there springs unconquerable certainty and unquenchable faith and hope. It is not enough to believe theoretically that was both God and Man; not enough to admire, respect, and even worship Him; it is not even enough to try to follow Him. The reason for the insufficiency of these things is that the modern intelligent mind, which has had its horizons widened in dozens of different ways, has got to be shocked afresh by the audacious central Fact -- that, as a sober matter of history, God became one of us.

J.B. Phillips

The Holy Spirit is not just an illumination or inspiration that comes to our minds so we can see truth, He is a person who himself knows the things of God and reveals them to us.

Dr. Fuchsia Pickett
Ministries Website

A man may seem to be silent, but if his heart is condemning others, he is babbling ceaselessly. But there may be another who talks from morning till night and yet he is truly silent, that is, he says nothing that is not profitable.

Pimen

We will open the book. Its pages are blank. We are going to put words on them ourselves. The book is called Opportunity and its first chapter is New Year's Day.

Edith Lovejoy Pierce

Every logical position will eventually lead you into trouble, and heresy, and chaos. Every logical position is consistent, but it is logic which is in the human mind, not God's logic. The human mind is finite and cannot grasp eternity, and therefore the finite mind sees the infinite as not graspable coherently. If we could grasp it all coherently, without contradiction, we would be God. The person who insists on being logical to the end winds up in a mess. I am not saying that we should not be rational. I am not anti-intellectual. I am saying that the intellect by itself is helpless to arrive at total truth.

Kenneth L. Pike
Website
daily christian quotes

Seri Kembangan, Malaysia

#4569 Jan 12, 2013
Probably the number one reason why prayer malfunctions in the hands of believers is that we try to turn a wartime walkie-talkie into a domestic intercom. Until you know that life is war you cannot know what prayer is for. Prayer is for the accomplishment of a wartime mission...But what have millions of Christians done? We have stopped believing that we are in a war. No urgency, no watching, no vigilance. No strategic planning. Just easy peace and prosperity. And what did we do with the walkie talkie? We tried to rig it up as an intercom in our houses and cabins and boats and car - not to call in fire power for conflict with a moral enemy, but to ask for more comforts in the den.

John Piper - Let the Nations be Glad
We have assigned the obligations of our faith to a few while keeping the privileges for us all.

David Platt<

I have cried, says the Psalmist, because thou hast heard me. One would think he should have said contrariwise; thou hast heard me because I have cried; yet, he says, I have cried because thou hast heard me; to show that crying doth not always go before hearing with God, as it doth with us; but that God will not only hear our cry, but also hear us before we cry, and will help us.

Thomas Playfere

God's grasp cannot be broken. None can pluck his chosen out of his hand.

William S. Plumer

We need to be refueled often spiritually. That renewing fuel is found in Bible reading and prayer. Just like a fuel tank on the car, we need frequent filling. Lack of fuel causes spiritual weakness and stunted growth. Unlike the car, we don't have to hunt for a gas station, and the price of fuel doesn't change. This fuel is always available and free for the taking. There is no substitute. Our part is to keep our spiritual tank full.

Verna Pollock

Leave me as I am, the one who gives me strength to endure the fire will also give me strength to stay quite still on the pyre., even without the precaution of your nails.... For eighty and six years I have been his servant, and he has done me no wrong, and how can I blaspheme my King who saved me? Last words, at the time of his martyrdom.(69-155)

God has a way of loving us and blessing us that is so much better than fair. Think of the ways God has blessed us that transcend what we deserve. Every good thing that has ever come to us is a gift of God's grace. If you and I could ever stop being self-centered long enough to be honest, we would have to say that we are not entitled to any good thing. We have no right to demand anything. And the last thing we really want is for God to just be fair with us. What we want and what we need is grace, the love that is better than fair. And grace is exactly what we ultimately receive from the God who is better than fair, even when life is less than fair.

Jesus, like any good fisherman, first catches the fish; then He cleans them.

The only difference in death between a Christian and one who is not is that the Christian is ready to meet Jesus. A Christian is dead already - dead to the world, but alive to Christ. Death for you as a child of God is to fall asleep in His arms and awake in the other world, alive forever beyond the power of pain, safe forever from all sickness and suffering.
daily christian quotes

Seri Kembangan, Malaysia

#4570 Jan 12, 2013
January 27, 2012

If you could once make up your mind in the fear of God never to undertake more work of any sort than you can carry on calmly, quietly, without hurry or flurry, and the instant you feel yourself growing nervous, like one out of breath would stop and take breath, you would find this simple common sense rule doing for you what no prayers or tears could ever accomplish.

Elizabeth Prentiss
Biography

Every Christian has a very personal responsibility to grow in their faith. Yet there are times when we seem to stand still. That is when God touches us like the earth in the springtime, bringing new growth and warmth for the faithful souls dedicated to His service.

Ed Price
The Loving Heart

When you take the claw off the claw hammer to make it lighter, you defeat the purpose of the claw hammer. When you file the teeth off a ripsaw so no one will get cut, the ripsaw no longer works. So proper tools can be rendered useless by "improvements". God's Holy Word is the proper tool for Christians. But a person can grossly misuse the Tool by "improving" it. For instance, you can remove all references to gender so that every character in Scripture -- including God Himself -- is referred to as "it". You can twist its meaning around to make the Word sympathetic to your new age lifestyle. Or you can use Scripture as the tool God intended -- an infallible, Divinely-inspired instruction manual for Christians.

Ed Price
The Loving Heart
February 19, 2012

It is He who held the fibers together in times of trial and stress. It is His Son, Jesus, who cleansed them with His precious blood. And it is God's love that made them strong, even when they were assaulted on all sides by foul circumstance. Our lives are a reflection of those things which influence us the most. Lives influenced by the Word of God stand the test of time, and beyond. God puts into you certain things that reflect His nature and character. No one has the distinctive combination of characteristics that God has placed in you -- carefully combining them to create a unique and beautiful creation.

The Loving Heart
Christ is in all His redeemed, as the soul of their soul, the life of their life. He is the pitying heart and the helping hand of God with every needy, praying spirit in the world. He is the sweet light of the knowledge of God that breaks in upon every penitent heart. He is not only with those who believe in Him and love Him, but also with those who neither believe in Him nor love Him, that He may be to them also Jesus their Saviour. The Christ of God is in thy heart, waiting and aiming to get the consent of thy will, that He may save thee. Wherever man is, there also is Christ, endeavoring to free him from the law of sin and death, by becoming Himself the law of the spirit of his life.

Whoso neglects a thing which he suspects he ought to do, because it seems to him too small a thing, is deceiving himself; it is not too little, but too great for him, that he doeth it not.

Do deeds of love for Him, to Him, following His steps. Believest thou in Christ? Do the works of Christ, that thy faith may live. Thou who sayest thou abidest in Christ, oughtest so to walk as He walked. If thou seekest thine own glory, enviest the prosperous, speakest ill of the absent, renderest evil to him who injureth thee, this did not Christ.

A happy marriage is the union of two good forgivers.

Robert Quillen
daily christian quotes

Seri Kembangan, Malaysia

#4571 Jan 12, 2013
There is nothing we can do to make God love us more, there is nothing we can do to make God love us less.

Philip Yancey

Forgiveness is the only way to break the cycle of blame--and pain--in a relationship...It does not settle all questions of blame and justice and fairness...But it does allow relationships to start over. In that way, said Solzhenitsyn, we differ from all animals. It is not our capacity to think that makes us different, but our capacity to repent, and to forgive.

Philip Yancey

The worst tragedy would be to turn the Sermon on the Mount into another form of legalism; it should rather put an end to all legalism. Legalism like the Pharisees' will always fail, not because it is too strict but because it is not strict enough. Thunderously, inarguably, the Sermon on the Mount proves that before God we all stand on level ground: murderers and temper-throwers, adulterers and lusters, thieves and coveters. We are all desperate, and that is in fact the only state appropriate to a human being who wants to know God. Having fallen from the absolute Ideal, we have nowhere to land but in the safety net of absolute grace.

If a man wants God to hear his prayer quickly, then before he prays for anything else, even his own soul, when he stands and stretches out his hands toward God, he must pray with all his heart for his enemies. Through this action God will hear everything that he asks.
??????????

Abba Zeno
daily christian quotes

Seri Kembangan, Malaysia

#4572 Jan 12, 2013
Many Christians believe in what Christ did for them in the past and will to do for them in the future. But they do not believe He can do anything for them now.

Zig Ziglar
Website

September 3, 2003

Our method of proclaiming salvation is this: to point out to every heart the loving Lamb, who died for us, and although He was the Son of God, offered Himself for our sins... by the preaching of His blood, and of His love unto death, even the death of the cross, never, either in discourse or in argument, to digress even for a quarter of an hour from the loving Lamb: to name no virtue except in Him, and from Him and on His account,-to preach no commandment except faith in Him; no other justification but that He atoned for us; no other sanctification but the privilege to sin no more; no other happiness but to be near Him, to think of Him and do His pleasure; no other self denial but to be deprived of Him and His blessings; no other calamity but to displease Him; no other life but in Him.

Count Zinzendorf
daily christian quotes

Seri Kembangan, Malaysia

#4573 Jan 12, 2013
A man set on fire is an apostle of his age. And the only one who can kindle the spark of light and fire on the hearth where it has died down is He who has revealed Himself as the God of fire, our Lord Jesus Christ.'Our God is a consuming fire'...Tell me, is your ministry a burning and shining light, or a smoking wick, slowly dying out to ashes?...It is a strange custom that we should supply a minister with a glass of water; if only we could supply him with a bonfire in the pulpit, a spiritual bonfire. We need the dynamic of a flaming ministry that will set the Church on fire.

Samuel M. Zwemer
Biography

Prayer is self-discipline. The effort to realize the presence and power of God stretches the sinews of the soul and hardens its muscles. To pray is to grow in grace. To tarry in the presence of the King leads to new loyalty and devotion on the part of the faithful subjects. Christian character grows in the secret-place of prayer.

Samuel M. Zwemer
Biography
daily christian quotes

Seri Kembangan, Malaysia

#4574 Jan 12, 2013
In those early centuries of Christianity, Christianity did not go into the world apologizing. It went to slay the powers of darkness and undo the works of the devil, and it lived in holy triumph.

John G. Lake

July 16, 2002

We have a choice. We can carry the world on our shoulders, or we can say, "I give up, Lord; here's my life. I give you my world, the whole world."

Bruce Larson

On days when life is difficult and I feel overwhelmed, as I do fairly often, it helps to remember in my prayers that all God requires of me is to trust Him and be His friend. I find I can do that.

Bruce Larson

These large birds,[cranes] who fly great distances across continents, have three remarkable qualities. First, they rotate leadership. No one bird stays out in front all the time. Second, they choose leaders who can handle turbulence. And then, all during the time one bird is leading, the rest are honking their affirmation . That's not a bad model for the church. Certainly we need leaders who can handle turbulence and who are aware that leadership ought to be shared. But most of all, we need a church where we are all honking encouragement.

Bruce Larson

As every lord giveth a certain livery (uniform) to his servants, charity is the very livery of Christ. Our Saviour, who is the Lord above all lords, would have his servants known by their badge, which is love.

Latimer

The trouble with nearly everybody who prays is that he says "Amen" and runs away before God has a chance to reply. Listening to God is far more important than giving Him your ideas.

Frank Laubach
Biography

All during the day, in the chinks of time between the things we find ourselves obliged to do, there are the moments when our minds ask:'What next?' In these chinks of time, ask Him:'Lord, think Thy thoughts in my mind. What is on Thy mind for me to do now?' When we ask Christ,'What next?' we tune in and give Him a chance to pour His ideas through our enkindled imagination. If we persist, it becomes a habit.

Frank Laubach
Short Biography
daily christian quotes

Seri Kembangan, Malaysia

#4575 Jan 12, 2013
Not just anything will do when we come before God. He is still honored by what is holy, what is our best, what is sacrificial.

The kingdom to which we have come, says the writer to the Hebrews, requires us to "offer to God acceptable worship with reverence and awe," because "our 'God is a consuming fire'" (Heb. 12:28–29, emphasis added).

A blasé, casual attitude toward worship may indicate that we have failed to grasp this important point, a sign of our being more conformed to this world" than so transformed in our minds that by testing we are able to discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect" (Rom. 12:2, emphasis added).

Worship Attire

And what of our worship attire?

We deceive ourselves when we breezily claim that God does not care what we wear to church.

God cares about our hearts, and what we wear is often an expression of our hearts.

So what does our relaxed worship attire say about us?
daily christian quotes

Seri Kembangan, Malaysia

#4576 Jan 12, 2013
Thanks be to God for his unspeakable Gift— indescribable, inestimable, incomparable inexpressible - precious beyond words.

Lois Lebar

There are things God wants you to do, and you are a split-second decision away from either walking into the will of God or shrinking back in fear.

Cathy Lechner

"If you plant a bean, then you will harvest only beans, not grapes or strawberries." This is an old Korean proverb. God gave us new life through Jesus Christ and planted special seeds of forgiveness and love in our hearts. What fruit will we bear in our daily lives?

Myung Lee

The Bible...Wondrous Book! Book above and beyond all books as a river is beyond a rill in reach, as the sun is above and beyond the tallow dipped in brightness, as Niagara is above and beyond a mill pond in power...Book against which infidelities has thrown its sharpest shafts and strongest spear of scorn and ridicule! Book at which the dissecting knives of modernistic intellectuals have whacked at like butchers...Book against which some snipers from behind some pulpit stands and some college chairs have aimed their ill-grounded propositions, But withal, all its enemies have neither torn one hole in its holy vesture nor stolen one flower from its wondrous garden nor diluted one drop of honey from its abundant hive...nor stayed its triumphant progress so much as one brief hour! It is still the pilgrim's staff, the pilot's compass, the soldier's sword And much more besides!

R. G. Lee

We never test the resources of God until we attempt the impossible. His resources are not a pond drained. Now a well capable of being pumped dry...Not a river that drought can diminish...Not a reservoir that runs dry. And in such faith - a reckless faith - Jesus takes the keenest delight. There is nothing that so pleases Him as the most daring and reckless and romantic faith. He is never so joyed as when we trust Him with a mad abandon.

R. G. Lee

Prayer is an end to isolation. It is living our daily life with someone; with Him who alone can deliver us from solitude.

Georges Lefevre

What are our lame praises in comparison with His love? Nothing, and less than nothing; but love will stammer rather than be dumb.

Robert Leighton
daily christian quotes

Seri Kembangan, Malaysia

#4577 Jan 12, 2013
We do not develop habits of genuine love automatically. We learn by watching effective role models - most specifically by observing how our parents express love for each other day in and day out.

Josh McDowell

The value of persistent prayer is not that he will hear us, but that we will finally hear him.

William McGill

The great paradox of faith is that we find our perfect freedom only when become slaves - slaves to God...In the ancient world, slaves judged their self-worth in relation to the importance of their masters. The greater the social status of a master, the greater the esteem of the slave. Christians are slaves of the greatest and kindest Master of all

Alister McGrath

In some ways, it's those of us who are most familiar with the Spirit's promises who are in the greatest danger. Someone has said that familiarity may not breed contempt, but it takes the edge off of awe. Something like this is true about the rich texts and glory-filled promises that drop the jaws or widen the eyes of newcomers but provoke no more than a raised eyebrow in the old-timers who have ceased to dream.

Jim McGuiggan

Revival is a Divine attack on society.

Ron McIntosh
Victory Bible Institute

Faith tolerates a moderate love of ones fellow man no more than it tolerates a moderate love between God and man.

John McKenzie

Our entire being is fashioned as an instrument of praise. Just as a master violin maker designs an instrument to produce maximum aesthetic results, so God tailor-made our bodies, souls and spirits to work together in consonance to produce pleasing expressions of praise and worship. When we use body language to express praise, that which is internal becomes visible.

Don McMinn

I think God has planned the strength and beauty of youth to be physical. But the strength and beauty of old age is spiritual. We gradually lose the strength and beauty that is temporary so we'll be sure to concentrate on the strength and beauty that is forever. And so we'll be eager to leave the temporary, deteriorating part of us and be truly homesick for our eternal home. If we stayed young and strong and beautiful, we might never want to leave.

J. Robertson McQuilkin
daily christian quotes

Seri Kembangan, Malaysia

#4578 Jan 12, 2013
In our praying, we should speak to God about Himself - that is praise;
Or about His gifts- that is thanksgiving;
Or about other people - that is intercession;
Or about our sins - that is confession and penitence;
Or about our needs - that is petition.
Prayer has five fingers, like a hand, and each in turn must be pointed to God That our prayer may be full and complete.
F. W. Kates
Q. "What do you do when you realize you have been dozing?" (during prayer}
A. "If you doze off, don't give it a second thought. A child in the arms of a parent drops off to sleep occasionally, but the parent isn't disturbed by that as long as the child is happily resting there and opens its eyes once in a while.

Thomas Keating

God has never exploited any person. Not once has He extracted anything from any one for His own ends. There is not even a hint of grasping greed regarding the Good Shepherd who approaches us only with our best interests in mind. He does not use people for some selfish pleasure of his own.

It takes some of us a lifetime to learn that Christ, our Good Shepherd, knows exactly what He is doing with us. He understands us perfectly.

Phillip Keller

Whenever I am afield or outdoors, there steals over me the acute consciousness that I am confronted on every hand by the superb workmanship of my Father. It is as if every tree, rock, river, flower, mountain, bird, or blade of grass had stamped upon it the indelible label, "Made by God." Is it any wonder that in a simple yet sublime sense of devotion, respect, and reverence for all life, Christ longed for His Father's name to be hollowed throughout the earth?

Most of us labor under the delusion that we have every right to our lives; that we have the right to go where we wish, do as we please, live as we choose, and decide our own destiny. We do not. We belong to God. He made us for himself. He chose us in Christ out of love, from before the foundation of the earth to be his own. He has bought us twice over, both through his generous death and also by his amazing resurrection life.
Self-control for the Christian means that my "self," my whole person, my whole being, body, soul, spirit comes under the control of Christ. It means that I am an individual governed by God. My entire life, every aspect of it - whether spiritual, moral or physical - has become subject to the sovereignty of God's Spirit. I am a "man under authority."
daily christian quotes

Seri Kembangan, Malaysia

#4579 Jan 12, 2013
There is an experience of the love of God which, when it comes upon us, and enfolds us, and bathes us, and warms us, is so utterly new that we can hardly identify it with the old phrase, God is love. Can this be the love of God, this burning, tender, wooing, wounding pain of love that pierces the marrow of my bones and burns out old loves and ambitions - God experienced is a vast surprise.

Thomas R. Kelly

Prayer can no more be divorced from worship than life can be divorced from breathing. If we follow his impulse, the Holy Spirit will always lead us to pray. When we allow him to work freely, he will always bring the Church to extensive praying. Conversely, when the Spirit is absent, we will find excuses not to pray. We may say, "God understands. He knows I love him. ButI'm tired... I'm so busy... It's just not convenient now..." When the Spirit is absent, our excuses always seem right, but in the presence of the Spirit our excuses fade away.

The ultimate proof of total forgiveness takes place when we sincerely request of the Father to let those who have hurts us off the hook -- even if they have hurt not only us, but also those close to us.

R. T. Kendall

Everybody worships. Whether if is a hero, possessions, success, pleasure, a political cause, a carved idol or oneself, the way we live and behave makes evident the things we love and give ourselves to. It is in our very nature to worship, and that inner drive is God-given; the disaster is that as part of a fallen race, we have replaced the object of our worship. To be converted to faith in Jesus Christ is to return to the worship of the true God, and to dethrone all rivals to his authority.

Graham Kendrick

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 min Mirrormirorwall 683,440
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 5 min Buck Crick 14,978
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr another viewer 982,979
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 3 hr Here For Now 619,680
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 11 hr USA-1 39,246
AT&T is run by a bunch of crooks who should be ... (Dec '14) 12 hr Doctor REALITY 10
Chinese are dishonest, greedy and cold-blooded. (Jan '14) 15 hr a_visitor 39
More from around the web