Are afghans and turks white?
Jeff

Framingham, MA

#112 Sep 16, 2010
Afghan American wrote:
@Jeff
Since you are well versed in the humane genome then you might as well read teh following NatGeo article about human migration:
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2002/...
After reading the article you could come to the conclusion that your modern day Afgans and Tajiks (Tajikistan and Kalash included) are the ancestors of all Europeans, Middle Easterners and many Asians.
"If Africa was the cradle of mankind, then Central Asia was its nursery," - Geneticist Spencer Wells
This is nothing knew. Scientists have claimed for over a decade now with the advancement of genetics studies that Europeans origins are traced to Western Asia. Most of the Haplogroups and the subclades found in Europeans arose in Asia. But there are certain genetic mutations and alleles that arose in Europeans which aren't found in none Europeans. For example the alleles that produce light skin in none African people arose twice in different and separate evolution periods as well as different alleles in Europeans and non-Europeans after people migrated out of Africa. For example alleles SLC24A5, MATP, and TYR have a predominant role in the evolution of light skin in Europeans, while, ADAM17, ATRN, and DCT played a dominant role in the evolution of light skin in Asians and West Asians.
Brian

United States

#113 Oct 8, 2010
So many misguided and downright clueless posts. I'm Pashtun and my family has lived in Pakistan for generations. Our looks vary, some in my family have dark hair and light brown skin while others have brown/dirty blonde hair and green/blue eyes. Are we fucking Indians? No way, not even a drip of Indian blood in us. BUT some Afghans are denying the fact that we can be confused as Indians and that's not true. White Americans generally don't know the difference between an Indian, Afghan, Pakistani or Iraqi. We're all varying shades of brown to them. I don't consider myself Caucasian even if my DNA says otherwise. I'm a light brown Pashtun and proud of it.

However here's a quick fact for some: There's more Pashtuns in Pakistan than there are in Afghanistan. So if anything, Pakistan is now the homeland of Pashtuns as much as Afghanistan.
Max

Boston, MA

#114 Oct 8, 2010
I am an Afghan and I was thought at school that I am an Aryan. I have dark hair, brown eyes, light skin. I do resemble my dad, but my mom is perfecty white and so my other family members.
retards

Freetown, IN

#115 Oct 8, 2010
..you're not white,you just wish you were.
_pak

Birmingham, UK

#116 Oct 14, 2010
afghans defo don't look white u can tell the difference between an afghan and a white person easily, on the other hand they dont look like indians either.. im living in bham where there is quite a few illegal immigrants here (afghans).. some have light skinned, some have dark and some have tanned.. as for them looking like pakis, only a few do and when i talk about them looking like pakis i dont mean sindhi pakis or southern pakis.. i mean punjabis and kashmiris (northern pakis)... just like afghans, pakis come in different colours etc.. some pakis even have light eyes and light hair.. less frequent than afghans probably, but not totally absent.. I think afghans is more frequent because the russians left their mark during the invasion.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#117 Oct 14, 2010
Afghans and Turks are flesh-colored, as are all humans.
andrew

Geelong, Australia

#118 Oct 22, 2010
I am Australian and went to afghanistan to serve my country, before going to Afghanistan i thought they were either arab or indian looking. But on my visit i realised that Afghans the majority are very light skinned, have very light hair and light eyes. However not like Australians there eye colour is more Intense, there hair colour alot sharper, and there skin has no pinkish white tone.
I resided in a village by the name of (WardaK) and i was suprised, thinking i was in a western country dressed in Afghani clothes.
When i hear people who say Afghans are dark arab looking people i find it amusing. As i have witnessed how wrong i once was myself. They are different looking indeed
Chief

Washington, DC

#119 Oct 22, 2010
Afghans-Pushtons and some Tajiks, Nooristan, are Haplo Group R1A and some R1B (marker of white race) they have the same dna as Germans and Scandinavian and share linguistics of the indo-european languages. They are from the original Aryan civilization which Zoroastriansm, Hinduism and swastika was derived from, found all over Europe. Only 13% of Afghanistan is Mongolian. Caucasion-white race has three catagories Mediterranean, Alpine, Nordic, Afghans are a Caucasion race with Nordic mixture. The Tamir basin in NE afghanistan has a graveyard full of blond hair and lighth hair Caucasions.
Chief

Washington, DC

#120 Oct 22, 2010
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong again. Those Afghan kids have ZERO European admixture, and they don't only show a strong resemblance to Eastern European kids but Western European kids and children from the Balkans too. For Like I said before there are many Greek children who look like those Afghan children, but that doesn't mean anything given those Afghan children have ZERO European admixture, not from the Balkans i.e. Greek, Albanian, Serbian, Turkish, etc., not from Eastern Europe i.e. Russian, Polish, Ukrainians, etc., not from Western Europe, i.e. Spain, Italy, France, etc. and not from Nothern Europe, i.e Uk, Ireland, Germany, etc., those Afghan children have ZERO European admixture. And for the record Haplogroup R1 (Y-DNA), the ancestor of R1a1 and R1b, originated in Central Asia, NOT in Europe.
Let me guess your from India-Dravidian and White people came from India? Following the Anatolian theory Haplo Group R1 migrated into centerl Asia Iranians-Afghans-Ukranians-Eas tern Europeans. Why did you leave this fact out with your pro Hindu propoganda, is it because Afghans-Aryans conquered your nation and gave you cast system and Hinduism that you still clinging on to today? Very small pockets of Aryans exist in northern India the majority of you are Astraloid Bushman like the Aboregenes of Australia...for the record.

The audacity.
Jeff

Framingham, MA

#121 Oct 22, 2010
Chief wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me guess your from India-Dravidian and White people came from India? Following the Anatolian theory Haplo Group R1 migrated into centerl Asia Iranians-Afghans-Ukranians-Eas tern Europeans. Why did you leave this fact out with your pro Hindu propoganda, is it because Afghans-Aryans conquered your nation and gave you cast system and Hinduism that you still clinging on to today? Very small pockets of Aryans exist in northern India the majority of you are Astraloid Bushman like the Aboregenes of Australia...for the record.
The audacity.
Dude, are you delusional? I'm not a freaken Indian and neither am I a goddamn Afghan. And where in my post that you replied to do I mention anything about India-Dravidian types or Hindu people? NOWHERE. Nor did I ever claim white people came from India. Oh and I very clearly do mention that Haplogroup R1 (Y-DNA), the ancestor of R1a1 and R1b, has its origins in Central Asia because guess what, IT DOES. Deal with it. So you can take whatever beef you have with your Hindu India-Dravidian Asian types and stuff them because I and many other Westerners can care less if the India-Dravidian types conquered your asses or if you conquered their asses. To Western people who don't know much about you people, you guys from those regions, be you India-Dravidian types or Hindu people or Afghans or Paki types, you can claim to be as 'blond' as you want you still won't be viewed as white by Westerners and most still won't be able to tell you apart.
James

Calgary, Canada

#122 Nov 2, 2010
I served in Afghanistan, when you say people confuse Afghans with Pakistanis, it is not correct. Pakistani is not a race. Northern Pakistan are historic lands of Greater Iran/Afghansitan where the Pashtun people live. Pashtuns are ethnic Afghans. Like the Persians, the Pashtuns are an Iranian people who conquered the Indian sub continent far back in history and many notable Indians are of Afghan/Iranian origin. Afghans too have many ethnic groups, there are the Pashtuns,Tajiks, Uzbeks, Hazaras, and so on. In Southern Afghanistan where I served I mostly met Pashtuns and some Tajik people. Many of them have sharp facial features with a range of skin colours. Afghanistan's ancient name was also Ariana (like their national airline name) where the real Aryan tribes came from not the Nazi nonsense of the 30s & 40s.

I dont know much about Turks so I can't comment.
Jeff

Framingham, MA

#123 Nov 3, 2010
James wrote:
I served in Afghanistan, when you say people confuse Afghans with Pakistanis, it is not correct. Pakistani is not a race. Northern Pakistan are historic lands of Greater Iran/Afghansitan where the Pashtun people live. Pashtuns are ethnic Afghans. Like the Persians, the Pashtuns are an Iranian people who conquered the Indian sub continent far back in history and many notable Indians are of Afghan/Iranian origin. Afghans too have many ethnic groups, there are the Pashtuns,Tajiks, Uzbeks, Hazaras, and so on. In Southern Afghanistan where I served I mostly met Pashtuns and some Tajik people. Many of them have sharp facial features with a range of skin colours. Afghanistan's ancient name was also Ariana (like their national airline name) where the real Aryan tribes came from not the Nazi nonsense of the 30s & 40s.
I dont know much about Turks so I can't comment.
Modern Turks are a mixture of European as well as Near Eastern types with some Asiatic elements. They cluster closer to Europeans and Near Eastern people then they do to Asiatic Turkic people from Central Asia. Through out history the region of Anatolia has been a migration of many different types of people and modern Turkish people are a reflection of this. Many of them share haplogroups similar to Europeans.

“No i dont cam or pic swap”

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#124 Nov 4, 2010
Lol he thinks caucasian means only white people. Google the history or meaning of it first.
david

Northallerton, UK

#125 Nov 18, 2010
I think Indian poulation are breed of people who have been raped by so many armies, from ancient times thatin one family you have one white and one darkie.
hassan

Manchester, UK

#126 Dec 1, 2010
no both are dark skin. there are some white in both nation but they are not originally turk or afghan.they are mixed. turk are mixed nation. most of them are from balkan and greece origion.
Mahmud

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#127 Dec 12, 2010
Arzo wrote:
Racism is so out-dated. We are all the children of Adam. Pashtuns, the ethnic Afghans, are however Caucasoid. I traveled to Afghanistan many years ago. The people look like they came straight off of a page from the Bible. They look the same as the pictures depicting the ancient Israelites. Afghans and Pakistani Punjabis/Indians do not look alike. Afghans are taller, fairer, with semitic noses, caucasian bone structures, and their eyes have a shine to them (compared with the dravidian eyes which look different). If you happen to travel about in Pakistan's Punjabi dominated areas (the great majority of the country) and then drive up north to Pashtun (Afghan) areas... as soon as you drive into the North West Fronteir provinces and Tribal Areas bordering Afghanistan where ethnic Pashtuns (Afghans) reside...you will immediately see the sharp contrast. Different people, different origin, language, culture, appearance, and dress. We should all appreciate the differences in our heritage and try to embrace it. So Pakistanis shouldn't get mad about it. Everyone is beautiful in their own way because God created us all as unique groups and tribes.:)
You are correct to say Afghans have different appearance to Punjabis of Pakistan and India in that Afghans are generally much lighter and have different looks, but they are not taller. Punjabis are generally taller and more robust compared to Afghans. By the way, Afghans are not Semitic but are an Indo-Aryan people. Even some Pakistani Punjabis have Semitic nose and it does not make them Semitic in origin. Semitic nose is not exclusive to Semites. By the way, some Afghans do look quite Pakistani Punjabi but most look more Iranic.

And we know for a fact through haplotypes there are some genetic commonalities on the paternal lineages between Northern Indian Subcontinent and Iran, Afghanistan, Central Asia, parts of Eastern Europe. There is doubt as to where the R1a marker originated, with some geneticists now believing it to be South Asia as opposed to Central Asia, but this marker is found in significant frequency in that region.
Mahmud

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#128 Dec 12, 2010
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude, are you delusional? I'm not a freaken Indian and neither am I a goddamn Afghan. And where in my post that you replied to do I mention anything about India-Dravidian types or Hindu people? NOWHERE. Nor did I ever claim white people came from India. Oh and I very clearly do mention that Haplogroup R1 (Y-DNA), the ancestor of R1a1 and R1b, has its origins in Central Asia because guess what, IT DOES. Deal with it. So you can take whatever beef you have with your Hindu India-Dravidian Asian types and stuff them because I and many other Westerners can care less if the India-Dravidian types conquered your asses or if you conquered their asses. To Western people who don't know much about you people, you guys from those regions, be you India-Dravidian types or Hindu people or Afghans or Paki types, you can claim to be as 'blond' as you want you still won't be viewed as white by Westerners and most still won't be able to tell you apart.
Agreed. Afghans do not have any European admixture but rather they are an Indo-Aryan people with origins in Central Asia. But some geneticists also suggest the R1a haplotype may have is origins in India (because it even exists in small frequencies in some of the tribals) from where it migrated out to Central Asia.
Mahmud

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#129 Dec 12, 2010
Most Turks look similar to Greeks/Southern Europeans in appearance. I think a few regions may ave Mongoloid look but majority look kind of White.

By the way, geographical proximity is a good indicator of genetic similarity (often but not always). You will find Middle Easterners and Europeans are genetically closer to Africans than Indians or Asians are. Indians are in fact genetic intermediary of Europeans and Asians, with higher castes closer to Europeans and lower castes closer to Asians.
jimtim

Oberhausen, Germany

#130 Dec 13, 2010
afghans look like a less attractive version of europeans.
Mahmud

Peterborough, UK

#131 Dec 13, 2010
jimtim wrote:
afghans look like a less attractive version of europeans.
And thats what you think as a Westerner where the world beauty standard gets defined by what the Western media determines. The fact is most people in the world are not that beautiful and most Afghans do not touch beauty care products that women and even men in the West take for granted.

I have seen some images of Western stars in less flattering images and they look average.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 min Michael 678,720
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 3 min bad bob 2,262
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 12 min RiversideRedneck 118,784
"....I don't want to call them 'monsters'...bec... 24 min Doctor REALITY 1
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 36 min curtjester1 46,209
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 1 hr Buck Crick 445,831
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 hr May2017 NewsGlobal 982,133
More from around the web