Should the US have universal healthcare?

Should the US have universal healthcare?

Created by Ajaxspank on Oct 5, 2007

51,273 votes

Click on an option to vote

Yes

No

I'm not sure

jkl

Green Bay, WI

#28613 Aug 9, 2008
yes. a universal, single payer US style health care system.

i goes without saying...
that the most dire emergencies would be higher priority. maybe a broken arm would be treated before glacoma. but you could treat that yourself via the harmless marijuana plant. unfortunately money & prejudice made it illegal in 1937 and keep it illegal today

“May the CEO POWER RULE FOREVER”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#28614 Aug 9, 2008
My Dulcinea needs protection from Obs,the evil knight?
Observer- wrote:
<quoted text>.....
Still trying to steal Tove I see. Cheech, I love you man but you are wasting your time. Need I say more?

Location hidden

#28615 Aug 9, 2008
Nice picture.Watch out for Observer.He is an old wolf!
Tailkinker wrote:
I don't want the gov, or the insurance companies to decide what treatment I get. I don't like the government haveing control of healthcare just because they really aren't doing wonders anywhere were they have total control.

Phil Gray

“Honor All Vets”

Location hidden

#28616 Aug 9, 2008
takion1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I am a single-payer advocate and find the information in your post very helpful in pointing out the fact that changes in the current health care delivery system must be made.
I found this following part of the information very interesting.
In Massachusetts, she said, the state’s effort to overhaul its health insurance system to cover more residents is costing much more than expected and has not led to universal coverage because policy makers assumed that more people would be healthy.“The state experiments have all failed because of cost,” she said.
The study describes harsh consequences for neglecting easily treatable diseases in so many people.“For some of the 11.4 million uninsured Americans with serious chronic conditions, access to care seems to be unobtainable; many may face early disability and death as a result,” the study’s authors said.
Everything points to the cost of health care as the major reason why so many people do not have health care today.
Health care has become unaffordable for a growing number of people everyday.
On it's present course without change, it is just a matter of time before the current system implodes upon itself as the number who can afford it dwindles.
I pointed that out before. However it was the initial goal for MA to have UHC as a mandatory, insurance directive which was signed into law By Romney.

This was one of the rebuttals of the proposal if you remember. The system is not set up to be applied fairly as there were no rules to guide acceptance for those with pre existing conditions. only to the fact that it would be a state controlled policy somewhat like medicaid. It also doesn't Tell you of the hoops you must jump through in order to gain the government full policy.

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#28617 Aug 9, 2008
Cheech the Conservative wrote:
My Dulcinea needs protection from Obs,the evil knight?<quoted text>

Evil Knight.........that's a great moniker for me. Thanks Cheech......you know how these ladies love the "bad boy" image.

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#28618 Aug 9, 2008
jkl wrote:
yes. a universal, single payer US style health care system.
i goes without saying...
that the most dire emergencies would be higher priority. maybe a broken arm would be treated before glacoma. but you could treat that yourself via the harmless marijuana plant. unfortunately money & prejudice made it illegal in 1937 and keep it illegal today

Now here is an exact example of why there should be a law that you must take a mental competency test to use the Internet. It would weed out the stoners who have smoked off what little intelligence they once might have owned.

Phil Gray

“Honor All Vets”

Location hidden

#28619 Aug 9, 2008
Observer- wrote:
<quoted text>.....
Still trying to steal Tove I see. Cheech, I love you man but you are wasting your time. Need I say more?
Come on Obs. let him have that dream after all it has to be better than riding that Donkey this November, LOL

takion1

“FIGHT THE POWER!”

Since: Feb 08

LOUISVILLE

#28620 Aug 9, 2008
Cheech the Conservative wrote:
Good.Then please answer the one question I have been asking all along.Just because I am successful,why should I be taxed to pay for someone elses healthcare just because they NEED it?Sounds more like something everyone should handle on a personal level.<quoted text>
There is bargaining strength in numbers and with the cost of health care ever increasing, it is just a matter of time before the costs cripple the Govt, much like it has industry already.

The Govt is already the largest provider of health care now.

While your taxes may indeed increase with a single-payer plan, your health care costs overall will be less.
In all likelyhood your tax increase will be less than your current health care costs now.

Location hidden

#28621 Aug 9, 2008
I would rather my costs double than have my taxes increase one cent.It is a matter of principle.
takion1 wrote:
<quoted text>
There is bargaining strength in numbers and with the cost of health care ever increasing, it is just a matter of time before the costs cripple the Govt, much like it has industry already.
The Govt is already the largest provider of health care now.
While your taxes may indeed increase with a single-payer plan, your health care costs overall will be less.
In all likelyhood your tax increase will be less than your current health care costs now.

takion1

“FIGHT THE POWER!”

Since: Feb 08

LOUISVILLE

#28623 Aug 9, 2008
Observer- wrote:
<quoted text>......
I've responded to others on this thread who supported a "single-payer" system in the past. So, let me again make a few points on this idea.
First, please allow me to give you some historical information. Back in the 90's Mr. Clinton and the Rebuplican Congress disagreed on a federal budget. During the time discussion time, the federal government had a "shut down" to pressure eachother to give in. While the shut down was happening, no "unnecessary" government programs were funded, Medicare and Medicaid being just two of them. Thankfully, most physician offices including mine has a percentage of commercial insurance covered patients because we received no Medicare reimbursement during that time. However, some doctors were not so lucky.
Second, a single-payer system also has most physicians in fear despite these websites and small groups who say otherwise and here is why:
READ THIS CAREFULLY......ALL COMMERCIAL HEALTH INSURANCE CARRIERS AND ALL 50 STATE MEDICAID PROGRAMS ESTABLISH THEIR CPT CODE AND ICD-9 CODE REIMBURSEMENT AS A PERCENTAGE OF MEDICARE'S PHYSICIAN FEE SCHEDULE. In other words, if Medicare lowers their fees to physicians, we get lower reimbursement from commercial insurance and medicaid. Therefore, how Medicare sets their Physician Fee Schedule is critically important to all physicians and hospitals. You often hear that we can negotitate with commercial carriers.....hogwash......thei r idea of negotitation is take it or leave it losers.
Anyway, we, in the medical community, see the handwriting on the wall. Medicare is one skip and a hop from total melt down mainly because of 2 main issues, no accountability/fraud/illegals and the huge increase of Medicare recipients due to get Medicare in the next two decades. As a result, we know that reimbursement must go down in Medicare ridiculously. But, no matter how low it goes, we will have our commercial carriers. Yes, they will lower too as stated above but we will still have other income.
A one-payer system set up by the government gives them a complete monopoly on reimbursement and who can be a doctor and where you can practice as well as every other aspect of medicine and medical care. Medicare, thru the single-payer system can pay whatever they like to whomever they want and as a physician, you will have no choice. TAKE IT OR RETIRE. And would you like to guess who might attend medical school if your future includes being a defacto government employee making the same salary as say a mailman, an FBI agent, or a DMV employee........single-payer system will cause a mass retirement of experienced, gifted physicians......personally, when my ticker starts to flutter, I want my trusted cariologist at my side not some defacto government employee who might be upset that he didn't get his government raise that year!!
Observer, just a few quick questions for you.

As health care costs contine to increase, outpacing both wages and inflation, and here recently increasing by almost double digits each year, with more and more people not able to afford to maintain health care coverage, where will your customer base come from when more than 50% of the nation cannot afford to maintain health care coverage?

With less than 50% of the population able to afford your services, will you still be able to earn a living and afford to keep your office open too?
Can you see that you may make less money overall because of this?

With less than 50% of Americans able to afford health care, do you think that the brightest college students will continue to seek education to become doctors, knowing that they may not be able to maintain a health practice and earn a living?
What would be the use of training in a field where you will have less customers every year?

Can you see the day coming, that since the majority of people can no longer afford health care, that doctors will be forced to close offices and hospitals will close as well?

Since: Jul 08

woodbridge

#28624 Aug 9, 2008
some insurance companies tell you which doctors you can see. if we had universal health care other programs would become obsolete, freeing up more money for the health care system, they should have it be a choice, after all this is a capitalism and we love choice, so on our w4 before we start a job, you can allocate how much you want to go to your heath, 10% and you get bottom fed docs and an "at your own risk" health system, if you want better pay 24% or pay nothing and go with private sector. make it a choice, if it dosent work it wont last, i believe the american worker should be taken care of and if you dont work you cant reap the benefits. we should be given the choice, you can have part of your check or hours worked to go to health/food/entertainment or you can just have your money and do it yourself.
Trisha

Mineral Wells, TX

#28625 Aug 9, 2008
What doctors get paid is not the problem. It is what they get paid for. Doctor get paid whether they do a good or bad job. Unlike any other profession I know, they can murder a patient while drunk or on drugs and it will take years before they are actually judged by a medical board (not the police), then they only lose their licence and/or paid a fine. Think about what happens when a teacher makes a racist remake or when a police office hits a person. They get immediately suppended from their jobs, while the doctor continues to treat patients and collect his fees.
Think about it!
Alex wrote:
Doctors in the U.S. get paid WAY too much money. Medication also costs too much. The government solves problems by throwing money at it. This of course drives up the cost and lowers the efficiency of anything that is government ran. At the state level a universal healthcare program might work, but at the federal level there is no way. You must realize the countries with universal healthcare in Europe are much smaller than the U.S. and such a program can be better organized.
BTW. Sweden is your correct location right? How much money goes towards your healthcare system? We pay about 1.45% of our income towards medicare.
jkl

Green Bay, WI

#28626 Aug 9, 2008
Observer- wrote:
<quoted text>........
Now here is an exact example of why there should be a law that you must take a mental competency test to use the Internet. It would weed out the stoners who have smoked off what little intelligence they once might have owned.
Because I disagree with "you", I call "you" unintelligent. So, do you disagree with universal single payer US-style health care?
Or that marijuana has uses and is less harmful than alcohol or cigarettes.

I know,
that is not what I said about MJ.
Any time you inhale smoke,
be it from a cig, camp fire, over a stove,
or in a house fire, it is not harmless.
So technically what I typed is incorrect.

But there have been ZERO
marijuana related deaths in medical history.
ZERO.
That is a fact.

Location hidden

#28627 Aug 9, 2008
According to Hillarybitch,the number was 47 million.That is less than 20%.And THAT number has been debunked many times.12 million are illegal.20 million CAN afford and just choose NOT to buy.The rest DO qualify(unfortunately) for medicaid,but just haven't signed up.Now where in HELL does this 50% come from?And why would anybody in their right mind choose medicine if the goal was to become a friggin Gov't employee?You could make just as much working? at DMV.And you see how THEY bust their asses.Well,you are going to get your way.The libs are goin' to be runnin' things for the next 4 years.$8 a gallon,anyone?The bet is out there.After 4 Carter-like years,this generation will wise up.
takion1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Observer, just a few quick questions for you.
As health care costs contine to increase, outpacing both wages and inflation, and here recently increasing by almost double digits each year, with more and more people not able to afford to maintain health care coverage, where will your customer base come from when more than 50% of the nation cannot afford to maintain health care coverage?
With less than 50% of the population able to afford your services, will you still be able to earn a living and afford to keep your office open too?
Can you see that you may make less money overall because of this?
With less than 50% of Americans able to afford health care, do you think that the brightest college students will continue to seek education to become doctors, knowing that they may not be able to maintain a health practice and earn a living?
What would be the use of training in a field where you will have less customers every year?
Can you see the day coming, that since the majority of people can no longer afford health care, that doctors will be forced to close offices and hospitals will close as well?

Location hidden

#28628 Aug 9, 2008
Car accidents?But I'm not against it for chemo patients.It is the only medication that works.I am against Gov't unicare because they will F--- it up.Just like every other social program they have tried.
jkl wrote:
<quoted text>
Because I disagree with "you", I call "you" unintelligent. So, do you disagree with universal single payer US-style health care?
Or that marijuana has uses and is less harmful than alcohol or cigarettes.
I know,
that is not what I said about MJ.
Any time you inhale smoke,
be it from a cig, camp fire, over a stove,
or in a house fire, it is not harmless.
So technically what I typed is incorrect.
But there have been ZERO
marijuana related deaths in medical history.
ZERO.
That is a fact.

Phil Gray

“Honor All Vets”

Location hidden

#28629 Aug 9, 2008
For those of you who reside in Maryland, I have sent copies of our proposal out to the following people today.

Maryland Health Care Commission

Rex W. Cowdry, M.D., Executive Director
Stallings, Nicole - Government Relations & Special Projects

Executive Direction
Bridget Zombro, Deputy Director

Legal Services
Suellen Wideman, Assistant Attorney General,
Mel Franklin, Assistant Attorney General

Center for Health Care Financing and Policy
Center for Long-Term Care and Community Based Services
Bruce Kozlowski, Director,

Small Group Market
Janet Ennis, Chief,

Health Plan Quality & Performance
Joyce Burton, Chief

Health Care Disparities
Rod Taylor, Chief,

Long-Term Care Quality Initiative
Carol Christmyer,

Long-Term Care Policy & Planning
Linda Cole, Chief,

Center for Hospital Services
Pamela Barclay, Director

Hospital Quality Initiative
Theressa Lee, Chief

Specialized Services Policy & Planning
Dolores Sands, Chief,

Hospital Services Policy & Planning
Certificate of Need
Paul Parker , Chief,

Center for Information Services & Analysis
Ben Steffen, Director,

Cost & Quality Analysis
Linda Bartnyska, Chief,
goodguy

United States

#28630 Aug 9, 2008
Alex wrote:
<quoted text>
Because nobody wants 50% of their income to go the government. Thats why.
Well true if we spent money on healthcare where would the money come from to go to war...you know Americans love war...it's romantic and makes for great tv. Americans don't care about healthcare, the truth is they care about money in their pockects and making the rest of the world kneel and respect us...now that's is America.

Since: Apr 07

Canada

#28631 Aug 9, 2008
I watched a story on PBS Bill Moyers Journal last night.

It was about a mother and daughter in who are trying to pay off their hospital debt. The husband had died 2 yrs ago, so both were left with no health insurance. The daughter has diabetes and both have low paying jobs, trying to make ends meet.

They have been hard working and honest. They are slowly paying off the hospital bill but it's a major struggle.

Big surprise for them...the hospital "outsourced" their financial debt department. Mother and daughter now answered to a new finacial consulting firm who has a much higher interest rate etc...and there's nothing that the mother/daughter can do etc..

My country has universal public healthcare and there is a FEW probs with the system in the last little while. No matter how many or how bad those few probs are, I am VERY happy that I don't have to worry about such things.

Since: Apr 07

Canada

#28632 Aug 9, 2008
By the way, I've asked on this thread long ago and no one answered....

How much is health insurance monthly in the US?

I know it depends on how much coverage you want/type of coverage or the amount of people(family dependents) etc....but can anyone give me an average cost?

Phil Gray

“Honor All Vets”

Location hidden

#28633 Aug 9, 2008
Nightflyer wrote:
By the way, I've asked on this thread long ago and no one answered....
How much is health insurance monthly in the US?
I know it depends on how much coverage you want/type of coverage or the amount of people(family dependents) etc....but can anyone give me an average cost?
here is the best answer however this is tained because the stats include care paidfor by hte taxpayer for the illegals within this country when it comes to the average annual cost per capita in the U.S. So you would be better finding computation of the average by state in which you reside

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 28 min Bongo 100,536
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 49 min Sky Writer 31 184,288
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 hr guest 670,351
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 hr another viewer 980,168
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 3 hr Jehowa Witness 46,179
Treating others with respect 5 hr UnderstandPeople 14
Do any attractive cougars or milfs want to trad... (Dec '11) 6 hr Seejay 4
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 19 hr Pegasus 286,455
More from around the web