Click on an option to vote

Yes

No

Since: Nov 12

Sacramento, CA

#103742 Aug 8, 2014
EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>

In any case, people do NOT choose to be gay or straight, so I'm curious why you tacked this question onto the end of a posting about punishment..
Some do. Please don't read too much into the simple question since it's not related to punishment. My curiosity that now is making you curious is from the fact that I've heard many homosexuals say "if it was a choice, why would I pick gay?"

Sacramento, CA

#103743 Aug 8, 2014
Cute_N_Horny wrote:
You poor, gullible, saps; The bible is a work of fiction, there is no proof to support any claims of a "God". I hate to break it to you, but, Catholicism and Christianity are lies just like all other "religions". If homosexuality is a sin, so is breathing.(Therefore we should all be smitten).
It must have been a great plan with historians and a lot of people in on it, it's amazing that none of these people faking the religion ever admitted what they were doing. And if they could pull that off, what else in history and science is faked?

Sacramento, CA

#103744 Aug 8, 2014
HarshDaddy wrote:
The Holy Bible says God will judge all sin. We know homosexual behavior has already been judged. That is what he did to Sodom. The blood on Christ Jesus will not take the judgment away. I wish I was wrong since my middle daughter is gay. I will always love her.
Since it's been proven people are born gay or straight or bi or asexual, and we are told that we are all sinners, How can a person be judged for being born a certain way? God creates life, right? And now you are saying God is judging that life he created? You need to study your bible, Sodom was more about a punishment to unwelcoming guests to the town. And you say that your daughter will be judged. What a shame. Judge Not and you won't be Judged. http://liveyourtheology.wordpress.com/2010/03...

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

#103745 Aug 8, 2014
RiccardoFire wrote:
Some do.
I have never seen any evidence that people can willfully control their sexual orientation, choosing to turn attractions off and on like a switch.

Some may have a more "fluid" sexuality, but this is typically described as bisexuality. But bisexuals cannot choose to stop being bisexuals, and shut down one set of attractions in favor of another. The attraction to either gender will always be a potentiality for them.

And in light of that, maybe I would change my answer. Maybe I would choose to be bisexual. More options.
RiccardoFire wrote:
Please don't read too much into the simple question since it's not related to punishment.
I can do that, but you DID preface your question by saying "With all that said," referring to my previous post about eternal punishment. That made it seem as if there was a possibility they were related. If not, that's fine. The placement made it look like a follow-up to what I had said.
RiccardoFire wrote:
My curiosity that now is making you curious is from the fact that I've heard many homosexuals say "if it was a choice, why would I pick gay?"
Being gay is at the lowest level of social repression in history, right at this moment. "Why would I pick gay" has been a long-standing argument, because of the equally long-standing ostracism against us. Choosing to be gay would have always meant deliberately picking a sexual orientation which could lead to greater exposure to dangerous diseases, rejection from family and friends, eviction from one's home or termination from one's job, disqualification from military service, and of course, prevention from marrying the love of one's life. In some countries, it could mean a loss of freedom, or even life. The point is, why choose ALL THIS, when heterosexuality is an equally readily available "choice"?

But never has this all been LESS true than in today's world. These social exclusions are falling away. It's easier to be a gay person today than it ever has been in the past.

Still, there's a kernel of truth to the question. Why choose one over the other?

Let's assume that someone lives in an environment where there is NO social repression of gay people. This hypothetical person experiences none of the common taboos against homosexuality. All things therefore being equal, what WOULD be their motivation between choosing one orientation over another? What would be the draw of homosexuality over heterosexuality? What would make a person who is attracted to the opposite sex, simply DECIDE to become attracted to the same sex? Not to be too crude, but, what would make a person come to the sudden conclusion that enjoying penis would be more beneficial to their lives than enjoying vagina, so much so that they would (somehow) rearrange their attractions to facilitate this decision?

The whole idea is just too strange. Sexual attraction is not formed this way. It develops in puberty, and people simply... "discover" what their orientation is. Their physiology imposes it on them. There is no choosing involved.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#103746 Aug 8, 2014
EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>
Challenges like what? The kooky stuff you've said about Moses and radiation and aliens? Tell poster HarshDaddy about your Alien, see if the two of you agree. Find me some other Christians who share your beliefs. Christians aren't one giant bloc of agreed-upon beliefs, you know. You people are as varied as the rest of us. Just because I don't believe YOUR claims, doesn't mean I couldn't believe HIS. They're apt to be very different.
And don't act as if I'm the only person on the planet who hasn't bought your magical stories, like you're just shocked that there's still a disbeliever out there. There are hundreds of millions of disbelievers out there in the world, and the vast majority of humans are NOT Christians. Do they ALL want to not believe you? Are they ALL dishonest?
The honest truth is, Christianity has convinced many, but not all. And not most. And most people who do adhere to a religion simply follow the one they were raised in. No religion has demonstrated any special capacity to "prove" itself. Religions are just taught in childhood, and that early indoctrination tends to stick. But not always. Plenty of religious people, who were once deeply convinced of their religions, have changed their minds and walked away.
Belief is not a foregone conclusion, and it is not based on evidence. That's why it's called "faith". It involves a level of trust which surpasses the normal expectations of reality. It's what storytellers call "suspension of disbelief". But for many people, that is not enough to call something a "belief". We need a good demonstration of proof, not just philosophical possibilities, or vague fables written by fishermen at the dawn of civilization.
Cough up some magic and then we'll talk. Let's see a talking snake or donkey. A CNN breaking report on the resurrected dead. A sample of tree fruit with the knowledge of good and evil inside. The ancient remains of koalas, kangaroos and dingoes, showing the long trek they made from Mt Ararat to Australia. Anything?
Most recent?

Hama fires thousands of rockets at Israel, kills a Palestinian in Israel and numerous Gazans. They caused MORE damage in Gaza than they did in Israel.

The spend years digging tunnels to attack women and children. Days before they are to be used, they are destroyed.

There is no rational explanation for such a complete failure in TWO major focuses.

The Alien said He would protect His people. You have no explanation for their existence and success in the face of centuries of persecution and irrational hate.

Smile.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#103747 Aug 8, 2014
EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>
Still, there's a kernel of truth to the question. Why choose one over the other?
Let's assume that someone lives in an environment where there is NO social repression of gay people. This hypothetical person experiences none of the common taboos against homosexuality. All things therefore being equal, what WOULD be their motivation between choosing one orientation over another? What would be the draw of homosexuality over heterosexuality? What would make a person who is attracted to the opposite sex, simply DECIDE to become attracted to the same sex? Not to be too crude, but, what would make a person come to the sudden conclusion that enjoying penis would be more beneficial to their lives than enjoying vagina, so much so that they would (somehow) rearrange their attractions to facilitate this decision?
The whole idea is just too strange. Sexual attraction is not formed this way. It develops in puberty, and people simply... "discover" what their orientation is. Their physiology imposes it on them. There is no choosing involved.
Do you understand that you have made a case that homosexuality is a sexual defect on so many levels?

Sacramento, CA

#103748 Aug 8, 2014
EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>
I have never seen any evidence that people can willfully control their sexual orientation, choosing to turn attractions off and on like a switch.
Some may have a more "fluid" sexuality, but this is typically described as bisexuality. But bisexuals cannot choose to stop being bisexuals.
I've heard it said Chaz is a real drag for the gay community. Jennifer Elia has revealed that she prefers her ... intimate relationship as a now 'straight couple, can we conclude that a sex change to Chaz made Jennifer change from a Lesbian or bi-sexual to a happy straight person? Some people can change from straight to gay, and you ought to acknowledge that. Your comments hurt people that do change. Just because you can't, doesn't mean others can't. Last time I googled Gay, your photo doesn't appear, you are not the gay model.

Sacramento, CA

#103749 Aug 8, 2014
EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no choosing involved.
You are mean. There are many that have chosen and it's there right to do so. Is it your business if a person decides to be straight or gay? I do agree though that it is a sexual defect, but with that said, we should not treat anyone bad.

Sacramento, CA

#103750 Aug 8, 2014
Toby wrote:
<quoted text>
Homosexuality is neither a sexual defect or an abuse, it's a sexual orientation, not a choice, just as being left handed is not a choice. Also if we (really) want to discuss stupid, we should concentrate on your useless vacuous drivel.
It does lead to greater exposure to dangerous diseases. As stated in post 103745

Sacramento, CA

#103751 Aug 8, 2014
EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>
We're already where you are. You share the world with us. It's doubtless that there are some actors and actresses you enjoy, or authors you read, or historical figures you've admired who are gay. You probably have someone gay in your family or among your friends, even if you're not aware of it. You certainly rely on the services of gay doctors, nurses, police, firefighters, bank tellers, grocers, school teachers and civil engineers in your community. Heck, you've even willingly chosen to visit a website discussing a gay topic, and you're engaging in conversation with the gay people there. None of this has given you AIDS, or turned you gay, or made your life unlivable in any way.
And as a secular humanist, it should occur to you that no one is "going" anywhere, not in an eternal, spiritual sense. You're not going to have to worry about an afterlife filled with the problems you're not even having today.
You probably have someone Christian in your family or among your friends, even if you're not aware of it. You certainly rely on the services of Christian doctors, nurses, police, firefighters, bank tellers, grocers, school teachers and civil engineers in your community. Heck, you've even willingly chosen to visit a website discussing a religion topic, and you're engaging in conversation with the Christian people there. None of this has made you violent, or turned you into a Believer, or made your life unlivable in any way.
Says It All

Santa Cruz, CA

#103752 Aug 8, 2014
Is homosexuality a sin?

No 41,776 73%
Yes 15,088 26%

Current Total 56,864

“True Blue”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#103753 Aug 8, 2014
Kermudgeon wrote:
I don't care how anyone likes their sex. I just personally find homosexuality gross.
Nobody's forcing you to watch. And I bet you wouldn't consider that such a terrible hardship, if it was two girls.

“True Blue”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#103754 Aug 8, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you understand that you have made a case that homosexuality is a sexual defect on so many levels?
No, only according to a blathering maggot and failed preacher called Greg Kirschmann. Can't stay away from this forum, hey? Probably because you don't have a life.

The only time I will bother to acknowledge you this time, is to give you this. Who better to put you in your place than a blonde drag queen.

“Unconvinced”

Seattle, WA

#103755 Aug 8, 2014
KiMare wrote:
Most recent?
Hama fires thousands of rockets at Israel, kills a Palestinian in Israel and numerous Gazans. They caused MORE damage in Gaza than they did in Israel.
The spend years digging tunnels to attack women and children. Days before they are to be used, they are destroyed.
There is no rational explanation for such a complete failure in TWO major focuses.
... huh?

WHAT does this prove, again? The successes and failures of two peoples at war? Is there magic involved? Do I NEED a rational explanation why a God would pit one group of humans against another? You're right, I have no rational explanation for that. If your God is real, then he's a bloodthirsty gladiator fan.

Is a talking animal coming soon? The dead rising from their graves, a la Matthew 27:52?

Your standards for proof are FAR too low.
KiMare wrote:
The Alien said He would protect His people. You have no explanation for their existence and success in the face of centuries of persecution and irrational hate.
You're right, I have no explanation for this Alien. I wonder what other Christians would say about it. You are the only Christian I've ever met who describes their supernatural Holy Father in terms of Sigourney Weaver. I guess the Protestants and Lutherans and Methodists and Buddhists and Shinto and Shiites and everybody but you just don't WAN'T to believe.

I'm sure RiccardoFire would agree with you perfectly that God should be characterized as an alien, right?

I also don't understand why this Alien WOULD choose one group of people over another, and then send them to war against each other. The thrill of violence, I guess, which is a common thrill for many people today, just as it was for those living in the Bronze Age. It makes sense that their stories would reflect gods (or aliens) which behave the same way. It's no different today.

“Unconvinced”

Seattle, WA

#103756 Aug 8, 2014
KiMare wrote:
No, I've only argued that homosexuality is a point along a spectrum, like all human sexuality. That's how people work.

But if homosexuality WERE a defect, what would that say about how you want to treat people with physiological defects?

I suppose it would be in line with Leviticus 21:18. Handed down by the Righteous Alien.

“Unconvinced”

Seattle, WA

#103757 Aug 8, 2014
RiccardoFire wrote:
I've heard it said Chaz is a real drag for the gay community.
No, I like him. He's a brave example against unnecessarily rigid gender roles.
RiccardoFire wrote:
Jennifer Elia has revealed that she prefers her ... intimate relationship as a now 'straight couple, can we conclude that a sex change to Chaz made Jennifer change from a Lesbian or bi-sexual to a happy straight person?
No. She was in love with a PERSON, regardless of their gender. She, and Chaz, and EVERYONE, should be free to choose the person they want to join their lives with, regardless of their gender.
RiccardoFire wrote:
Some people can change from straight to gay, and you ought to acknowledge that.
They can't. They are capable of attraction to EITHER gender, or to one or to the other. But whatever they feel, it isn't anyone ELSE'S duty to impose an expectation upon them. They should be celebrated for finding love AT ALL, a difficult enough task, rather than being condemned for finding the "wrong" love.
RiccardoFire wrote:
Your comments hurt people that do change.
Oh, you just let THEM come and make that argument. You don't speak for them. All I see are "ex-gay" people admitting that they still feel same-sex feelings, and that they're desperately sorry for all the harm they've caused by pretending to be changed.
RiccardoFire wrote:
Just because you can't, doesn't mean others can't. Last time I googled Gay, your photo doesn't appear, you are not the gay model.
Google Bisexual, also. You won't find me there, either. I'm not TRYING to be anyone's model. I'm not telling people that their choice of spouse is not good enough by my personal standards.

“Unconvinced”

Seattle, WA

#103758 Aug 8, 2014
RiccardoFire wrote:
You are mean.
I'm sure you'd like to think so. Let a bisexual come and tell me that.
RiccardoFire wrote:
There are many that have chosen and it's there right to do so. Is it your business if a person decides to be straight or gay?
How does that work? Can you do it? Can anyone? Is there a muscle to flex, or a spell to cast? I've known gay people who spent their lives praying to God to not be gay. Why didn't this work? Why didn't they simply CHOOSE to be straight? What is the mechanism which makes this possible? Where is your scientific research which shows how you reached your conclusion?
RiccardoFire wrote:
I do agree though that it is a sexual defect, but with that said, we should not treat anyone bad.
Including allowing them to choose who they legally bond their life to? People with Down syndrome are not prevented from marrying. Surely the same right can be extended to gay people.

“Unconvinced”

Seattle, WA

#103759 Aug 8, 2014
RiccardoFire wrote:
You probably have someone Christian in your family or among your friends, even if you're not aware of it. You certainly rely on the services of Christian doctors, nurses, police, firefighters, bank tellers, grocers, school teachers and civil engineers in your community. Heck, you've even willingly chosen to visit a website discussing a religion topic, and you're engaging in conversation with the Christian people there. None of this has made you violent, or turned you into a Believer, or made your life unlivable in any way.
I DO have many Christian friends and family, but I'm not trying to argue that they can't marry who they want, or say that I don't even want to be around them, like Kermudgeon did.

“Comfort the afflicted”

Since: May 13

Afflict the comfortable

#103760 Aug 8, 2014
Mormons think their god lives on Planet Kolab. That should count as an alien. I guess.

It definitely counts as f_cking crazy.

Sacramento, CA

#103761 Aug 8, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
No, only according to a blathering maggot and failed preacher called Greg Kirschmann. Can't stay away from this forum, hey? Probably because you don't have a life.
The only time I will bother to acknowledge you this time, is to give you this. Who better to put you in your place than a blonde drag queen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =FtVgZrSMSPgXX
If that is his real name, you might be careful slandering a person, many people have been sued.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Watching wife with others 13 min CuriousHubby82 4
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 19 min Regina 654,438
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 20 min Buck Crick 64,661
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 30 min RiccardoFire 45,300
I think I like giving my brother an erection... (Jan '13) 37 min BadMan 9
Israel End is Near (Feb '15) 1 hr Thinking 508
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr The Hangman 973,954
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 3 hr onemale 281,955
More from around the web