Click on an option to vote

Yes

No

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#103650 Aug 5, 2014
RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>Are you now saying GMOs are bad?
After reviewing the 2 scientific studies on them, I'm starting to worry about them.

The most troubling is the Monsanto insertion of herbicide-detoxifying genes. Those don't stop producing proteins when turned into food, and those proteins are bad for us to eat (as far as the one study suggests). Yet if they can keep the gene from being in the edible part of the plant, we'd be fine. Not sure if that's possible.

The other one would be more insidious since the damage was to mitochondria and liver function. It's basically the same issue: the gene transplanted produces a protein that isn't a normal part of a mammalian diet, so it could cause us damage.

More science studies if you have them!

“Comfort the afflicted”

Since: May 13

Afflict the comfortable

#103652 Aug 5, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
After reviewing the 2 scientific studies on them, I'm starting to worry about them.
The most troubling is the Monsanto insertion of herbicide-detoxifying genes. Those don't stop producing proteins when turned into food, and those proteins are bad for us to eat (as far as the one study suggests). Yet if they can keep the gene from being in the edible part of the plant, we'd be fine. Not sure if that's possible.
The other one would be more insidious since the damage was to mitochondria and liver function. It's basically the same issue: the gene transplanted produces a protein that isn't a normal part of a mammalian diet, so it could cause us damage.
More science studies if you have them!
Science on AGW - solid as a rock.
Science on GMO effects - research phase only.
Religious nutbag opinion on the two - totally inverted.

Now, let us pray...

Some stable somewhere

#103653 Aug 5, 2014
bacon hater wrote:
<quoted text>
Science on AGW - solid as a rock.
Science on GMO effects - research phase only.
Religious nutbag opinion on the two - totally inverted.
Now, let us pray...
What is AGW?

Yeah, the two scientific studies people produced for me - one was preliminary, with only 10 rodents in each control group. The other was pretty solid, having carried out the study for quite a while. It's on that thread I started.

The reality is that it's not the GMO that is the issue, it's the gene being transplanted. If its products are not those that humans have evolved to digest/detoxify, it's going to cause us issues. If it is one we evolved to digest/detoxify, we're fine.

So the gene that protects plants from herbicides is worrisome, especially since chemicals that do so are hormone mimics (antagonists or agonists) and those cause issues in mammalian bodies.

But if they just took a tomato gene, for ex., and moved it into a fish, no worries.

“Comfort the afflicted”

Since: May 13

Afflict the comfortable

#103654 Aug 5, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
What is AGW?
Yeah, the two scientific studies people produced for me - one was preliminary, with only 10 rodents in each control group. The other was pretty solid, having carried out the study for quite a while. It's on that thread I started.
The reality is that it's not the GMO that is the issue, it's the gene being transplanted. If its products are not those that humans have evolved to digest/detoxify, it's going to cause us issues. If it is one we evolved to digest/detoxify, we're fine.
So the gene that protects plants from herbicides is worrisome, especially since chemicals that do so are hormone mimics (antagonists or agonists) and those cause issues in mammalian bodies.
But if they just took a tomato gene, for ex., and moved it into a fish, no worries.
Anthropogenic Global Warming. The point is that a guy who rejects science when it's in a state of certainty accepts it when it's in a state of research.

You gotta believe in imaginary celestial dictators to think like that.

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

#103655 Aug 5, 2014
RiccardoFire wrote:
Are you now saying GMOs are bad?
If I did, would you shut the hell up about them?

Maybe I should just assume that you have concentration problems, and are simply not capable of keeping a conversation on track. That would at least be a kinder assumption than thinking that you're deliberately turning the conversation away from the topic in order to avoid it.

Some stable somewhere

#103656 Aug 5, 2014
bacon hater wrote:
<quoted text>
Anthropogenic Global Warming. The point is that a guy who rejects science when it's in a state of certainty accepts it when it's in a state of research.
It's pretty hard to deny that.
Bwian Nipoles

Houston, TX

#103657 Aug 5, 2014
Is homosexuality a sin?

Catholic priest say no, pass the little boys please....

Since: Nov 12

Sacramento, CA

#103658 Aug 6, 2014
bacon hater wrote:
<quoted text>
Or do you reject science outside of the State paid climatologists? Are they done studying the climate? It's not in a state of research?, it's conclusive man caused the earth to melt?

Sacramento, CA

#103659 Aug 6, 2014
Bwian Nipoles wrote:
Is homosexuality a sin?
Catholic priest say no, pass the little boys please....
I'm glad that I'm not into that, be careful, they are cracking down on Priests.

Sacramento, CA

#103660 Aug 6, 2014
EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>
If I did, would you shut the hell up about them?
Maybe I should just assume that you have concentration problems, and are simply not capable of keeping a conversation on track. That would at least be a kinder assumption than thinking that you're deliberately turning the conversation away from the topic in order to avoid it.
Or could it be you didn't get the point, maybe you didn't realize the pollution aspect from your GMOs in the water.

“Unconvinced”

Seattle, WA

#103661 Aug 6, 2014
RiccardoFire wrote:
Or could it be you didn't get the point, maybe you didn't realize the pollution aspect from your GMOs in the water.
Or it could be that you didn't see the title of this thread. GMO's are bait, to lure people AWAY from discussion of the topic. I'm not biting. I want to know whether it's moral to eternally punish people for being unrepentantly gay, or even to eternally punish anyone for anything.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#103662 Aug 6, 2014
EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>
Or it could be that you didn't see the title of this thread. GMO's are bait, to lure people AWAY from discussion of the topic. I'm not biting. I want to know whether it's moral to eternally punish people for being unrepentantly gay, or even to eternally punish anyone for anything.
Do you think people will get eternal punishment for being stupid?
Kermodgeon

Buffalo, NY

#103663 Aug 6, 2014
Yes, homosexuality is a sin; perverse, a disease. I don't know why it was ever taken out of the Psychiatric Disease Manual (DSM).

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#103664 Aug 6, 2014
Kermodgeon wrote:
Yes, homosexuality is a sin; perverse, a disease. I don't know why it was ever taken out of the Psychiatric Disease Manual (DSM).
It's also a sin to be stupid.

Repent moron.

“Unconvinced”

Seattle, WA

#103665 Aug 6, 2014
Kermodgeon wrote:
How can something be both a sin AND a disease? Does God punish people for diseases? Is that moral?

And if you trust the DSM as a scientific reference, then maybe you can trust the people who create, edit and update it. Their medical training, degrees, and research almost certainly surpasses your own.

Try to imagine yourself at 14 years old. You and all of your friends are in a period of physiological development. They speak often, and excitedly, about the opposite sex. But for some reason, you're just not feeling what they feel. Instead, through no choice or action of your own, you feel those feelings for your own gender. Nothing you do seems to make those feeling go away, or make opposite-sex attraction appear.

This was me 30 years ago. Was I "evil" for feeling this way? Should I be punished? Should I feel shame, and guilt, and worthlessness? Do you want ALL teens who find themselves in this situation to feel that way? Is it better if they feel suicidal? Is it good when their parents turn them out of their homes to live on the streets?

Your supernatural beliefs are not helping you think this through logically, and they are not helping you show any compassion for your fellow human. I think you need to take another look at the morals you've adopted.

“Unconvinced”

Seattle, WA

#103666 Aug 6, 2014
WasteWater wrote:
Do you think people will get eternal punishment for being stupid?
Unfortunately, ignorance is rewarded with bliss. Stupidity punishes everyone ELSE.

Sacramento, CA

#103667 Aug 6, 2014
EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>
maybe you talking about gay sex a sin is boring so it seems since whenever a topic is brought up, many here seem to enjoy engaging into it, most would agree there is nothing new to talk about on the topic, maybe it should be closed. How would that make you feel?

Sacramento, CA

#103668 Aug 6, 2014
Kermodgeon wrote:
if it's a disease, my question is: Are all diseases a sin? Are we cast into the fire for a disease that we somehow got or even was born with it. are you asking why you ever got released from Psychiatric Care?

“Unconvinced”

Seattle, WA

#103669 Aug 6, 2014
RiccardoFire wrote:
maybe you talking about gay sex a sin is boring so it seems since whenever a topic is brought up, many here seem to enjoy engaging into it, most would agree there is nothing new to talk about on the topic, maybe it should be closed. How would that make you feel?
Like opening up a NEW thread under a title like "Are GMO's bad?" and holding that conversation there.

If you are bored by the topic of gay sex being a sin, it's curious why you ever came to a thread titled "Is homosexuality a sin?" in the first place. The very title should have alerted you that the subject would be boring to you.

I find sports to be interminably boring. But if I saw a discussion thread titled "Should the NFL reinstate the Tuck Rule?", my first thought would NOT be "This looks like a good place to discuss whether Kirk or Picard was the better captain".

Would I find people on that thread who would be willing and interested in a sci-fi discussion? Probably. But if someone came to me and said "But what do you think about the Tuck Rule?" and my answer was "The NFL repealed it, everything has been said. I'm here to talk about space captains", then I think that person would be justified in pressuring me to contribute to the topic.

I don't begrudge you holding a conversation here on any subject with anyone who is interested. But it seems that if someone wants to discuss the ACTUAL subject, then you should be willing to contribute. A continued presence on this thread would seem to indicate such a willingness. There are better places for discussing GMO's, where you'll be able to speak with people who are deeply educated and invested in that subject. Your conversations would be much richer for it.

Meanwhile, I'm left wondering about your opinion on eternal punishment for non-crimes, and I'm made to feel as if I'M the one asking unwanted questions in an inappropriate forum, which is ridiculous. I don't think everything has been said on the subject, not if it's inspired 4700 pages worth of discussion. Not with the 6th Circuit Court deliberating on the subject as we speak. There's still PLENTY to say, and plenty to try to understand about how anyone can justify or defend eternal punishment. Or how they can justify relying on the Scientific Method for reaching conclusions about GMO's or AGW, yet abandon this method for reaching conclusions about the supernatural.

“Unconvinced”

Seattle, WA

#103670 Aug 6, 2014
RiccardoFire wrote:
if it's a disease, my question is: Are all diseases a sin? Are we cast into the fire for a disease that we somehow got or even was born with it. are you asking why you ever got released from Psychiatric Care?
See? There IS more to say. You even threw in some fun snark.

Tell me more about this "fire".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 2 min Ex Lesbian 38,000
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 min Patrick Daniels 641,348
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 7 min LAWEST100 618,366
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 8 min Student 44,315
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 12 min ffj 969,937
my name is lorna and morrcan cock is biggest 45 min uncute 3
Queen Cleopatra was clearly Black. White people... (Aug '10) 56 min Johnny 744
More from around the web