Yes

No

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#103590 Jul 31, 2014
RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>I suggest if you don't like the topic, don't respond. What are you adding to the gay sin topic anyways?
I see the pot meets kettle convention has started to arrive.

glad you all got my e-mail/tweet

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#103591 Jul 31, 2014
Being an Atheist is O.K.
Shaming Religions and intellectualizing spirituality as false or stupid is NOT okay.
Being a Christian is O.K.
Being Homophobic, Misogynistic, Racist, or behaving in a hateful manner in the name of Christianity is NOT okay
Being a Reindeer is O.K.
Bullying and excluding another reindeer because he has a shiny nose is NOT okay.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#103592 Jul 31, 2014
DNF wrote:
Being an Atheist is O.K.
Shaming Religions and intellectualizing spirituality as false or stupid is NOT okay.
Being Homophobic, Misogynistic, Racist, or behaving in a hateful manner in the name of Christianity is NOT okay
Being a Reindeer is O.K.
Bullying and excluding another reindeer because he has a shiny nose is NOT okay.
Why not? How could Rudolph become famous otherwise?

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

#103593 Jul 31, 2014
RiccardoFire wrote:
You are the expert that claimed you were eating GMOs in Japan, which is not true, YOU were wrong. What part of that pisses you off ? Admit you are a fool, then we can move on.
No, I never said anything about eating GMO's in Japan. I've never been to Japan. You asked if I ever eat soy, and I explained the circumstances of how I eat it. I live in a Japanese household, and I eat a lot of soy products there. Soy sauce, soy milk, tofu, edamame, etc. I don't know if these things are GMO's, I don't CARE if they're GMO's, and I have no interest in talking about GMO's.

Stop using GMO's (and a million other subjects) as a distraction to avoid the subject at hand. I understand that theological concepts can be difficult to discuss, but you only appear to be dodging when you obsess on unrelated subjects.

Why are you unwilling to discuss homosexuality or sin, on a thread called "Is homosexuality a sin"? Why aren't you able to describe and defend your theological beliefs? Why are you so reluctant to explore or explain what biblical doctrine means to you? You come to a site ABOUT homosexuality and sin, yet you refuse to discuss this very subject. Why?

You give the STRONG impression that the average Christian has no real knowledge about the faith that they claim to believe. It appears that you are content to poorly understand what your clergy feeds you, and content to allow others to misunderstand it due to your own stunted understanding.

I know why you won't discuss this subject. It's because the "justice" of the Bible is no justice at all. The idea of a "place of eternal punishment" is not defensible. The idea of punishing people for private matters that are not crimes is a moral dereliction. If we WERE to explore the Christian concepts of justice and morality in depth, you'd eventually be forced to admit that they are barbaric, unjust and immoral.

Deny it. Go ahead. Tell me how wonderful God is for sending people to hell. Tell me how moral it truly is to punish people forever and ever and ever. Try to defend this deplorable supernatural villainy with an OUNCE of logic, reason, or compassion.

You won't. You can't. In-depth analysis is anathema to religious doctrine. It crumbles under the lens of scrutiny. I know it and you know.

So, go back to your GMO's, or whatever your pet cause is for the day. I got my answers. Christians don't know what the hell they're talking about when it comes to morality. Or even their own religion.

Since: Nov 12

Sacramento, CA

#103595 Jul 31, 2014
EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>

Why are you unwilling to discuss homosexuality or sin, on a thread called "Is homosexuality a sin"? Why aren't you able to describe and defend your theological beliefs? Why are you so reluctant to explore or explain what biblical doctrine means to you? You come to a site ABOUT homosexuality and sin, yet you refuse to discuss this very subject. Why?
Are you done ranting? I stated my thoughts on that, you even asked me. Did you miss that post? What more do I need to answer for you? I have described my beliefs, it doesn't matter in this topic, when I keep repeating them, it makes others mad like waste and the bacon hater saying I just come here to push my religion.

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

#103596 Jul 31, 2014
RiccardoFire wrote:
Are you done ranting? I stated my thoughts on that, you even asked me. Did you miss that post? What more do I need to answer for you?
All you've said is that you believe in "a place of eternal punishment". Do you think this vague statement says it all? That only opens 1000 more questions. Where is this place? How big is it? How hot is it? How old is it? How many humans can it hold? What kind of details do you have about it? How do you know anything about it? What makes you believe in it? What scientific principles have you applied to researching its existence?

How is JUSTICE served by punishing people forever for things which are not even crimes? Does justice even factor in? Does this God character care about things like justice or morality? Or did he simply create a hundred billion human souls once upon a time, with the intent of throwing most them into the fire, where they'll writhe in agony forever?

If the Bible is true, and God's system of punishment and justice make total sense, then there should be EASY answers to all these questions. But instead, the concept of Christian justice could not be cloudier. God is "mysterious", we're told. Yet, morals and ethics should NOT be mysterious. Christians beg off answering, because they're not "experts", yet they live their lives in obedience to doctrines they don't understand.

How is Christianity to be trusted, when this is the state of things? Why should it be tolerated, when they want to legislate according to beliefs they cannot even explain?

Why should anyone be punished FOREVER, for innocuous things like sex and belief? Why do people willingly support and champion this barbarity, while calling it "moral"?
RiccardoFire wrote:
I have described my beliefs, it doesn't matter in this topic, when I keep repeating them, it makes others mad like waste and the bacon hater saying I just come here to push my religion.
You're not "pushing" your religion if I'm ASKING you about it. I'm sure if you explain that to them, they will understand. But I can't really help you with your conversations with other people. I can only ask about what I'm curious about. I think everyone here would at least prefer that you stick to the topic rather than rant endlessly about completely unrelated political issues.

“Comfort the afflicted”

Since: May 13

Afflict the comfortable

#103597 Jul 31, 2014
DNF wrote:
Being an Atheist is O.K.
Being a Reindeer is O.K.
How can you say that it is "OK" to be a member of a group that, at least, funds and adds legitimacy to criminals? And, at worst, rapes and tortures children?

I used to think it was fine too. I thought a personal belief was benign, provided the people were rational in how they applied it to their lives.

I was wrong.

There's nothing OK about people who support and add legitimacy to criminals. It is immoral and deplorable.

“Comfort the afflicted”

Afflict the comfortable

#103598 Jul 31, 2014
RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>Are you done ranting? I stated my thoughts on that, you even asked me. Did you miss that post? What more do I need to answer for you? I have described my beliefs, it doesn't matter in this topic, when I keep repeating them, it makes others mad like waste and the bacon hater saying I just come here to push my religion.
I've never said you come here to push your religion. You're lying again.

I said you're a delusional idiot who contributes to some of the greatest atrocities ever committed in the history of man.

“Mercury bubbles blast!”

Since: Mar 11

Mercury

#103599 Jul 31, 2014
RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>Is that freaking out explaining how many countries around the world don't agree with you, even your homeland? Is it too difficult to understand why most of the civilized world doesn't allow GMOs? Here is something in your field: http://www.realclearscience.com/journal_club/... Why did the Neanderthals die out? The humans run faster?
Ah, that's a comlex problem. It's a bit out of my field, to be honest, I'm not a paleoanthropologist. Here's what we know:

- humans had throwing weapons like spears, neanderthals relied more on grappling weapons
- humans have better developed vocal cords, such that we can make a greater variety of fine distinctions between sounds - like the minimal pairs /r/ and /l/ and can differentiate more vowels, like /a/ and /i/. That means that humans had somewhat greater ability to communicate (more information in a shorter period of time).
- humans created more art, and a greater variety of art
- neanderthals needed more calories per day, b/c their muscle mass was higher (mind you, human muscle and bone mass was much higher then, too, nearly as high as neanderthals)
- humans and neanderthals interbred. Europeans have roughly 1-4% DNA that is also found in neadnerthal DNA.

So it's not as simple as "they went extinct." It's more like, small human groups migrated around, neanderthals migrated around, they ran into each other and interbred, with the human genes ("modern" genes) out-competing the "archaic" genes. This process happened over a fairly large period of time, with archaic genes mostly being replaced.

To be honest, I've been working on my own stuff and haven't kept up with paleoanthropology, so my description above is around 4 years out of date. It's possible neanderthal throwing weapons and art have been found - and, if so, then it's more like one of admixing then extinction.

The thing is, we see them as a distinct population of homo, but there were other populations of homo around, too - the Devisonian in Asian, H. erectus groups, also in Asia, and H. floresiensis in Indonesia. So they may not have noted the differences we do, since our scientists are all caught up in demarking "species" - but that's a paper I'm working on :p

“Mercury bubbles blast!”

Mercury

#103600 Jul 31, 2014
RiccardoFire wrote:
Thinking of your field, I find it interesting that the Ancestor of Native Americans in Asia was 30%“Western Eurasian”, Did you realize that early Siberian people and present-day Native Americans both have strong roots in Europe, only secondarily in Asia.- See more at: http://www.dnaconsultants.com/_blog/DNA_Consu...
Yeah. That kind of stuff was noted a fairly long time ago in science - the genetic studies were done in the 90's:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1...

http://www.cell.com/ajhg/abstract/S0002-9297 (07)61769-8

http://www.pnas.org/content/94/26/14542.full

A lot of older archaeologists still cling to the "they walked across the land bridge" hypothesis, but younger ones find it more compelling that they used boats.

“Mercury bubbles blast!”

Mercury

#103601 Jul 31, 2014
RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>You are the expert that claimed you were eating GMOs in Japan, which is not true, YOU were wrong. What part of that pisses you off ? Admit you are a fool, then we can move on.
As I wrote, I'm pretty sure it's an economic strategy to avoid WTO sanctions about subsidizing Japanese farmers. Our farming system works totally different than yours does.

Sacramento, CA

#103602 Jul 31, 2014
EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>
All you've said is that you believe in "a place of eternal punishment". Do you think this vague statement says it all? That only opens 1000 more questions. Where is this place? How big is it? How hot is it? How old is it? How many humans can it hold? What kind of details do you have about it? How do you know anything about it? What makes you believe in it? What scientific principles have you applied to researching its existence?.
Matthew 25:46 says "Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life." It doesn't explain all your questions. Does it matter to you?

Rom 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Note the wages for sin is death, not eternal punishing and torment in some place called Hell. That's why I believe eternal punishment is eternal death vs. eternal life.

I don't live by science as my religion as some of you seem to, it would be hard to keep up with the changes. Like where humans came from, first it was Africa, then others are saying Middle East, while some are saying Asia. Science says Native Americans are from Asia, now they are saying both Asia and Western Europe. Where will we be from next week?

“Comfort the afflicted”

Afflict the comfortable

#103603 Jul 31, 2014
RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>Matthew 25:46 says "Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life." It doesn't explain all your questions. Does it matter to you?
Rom 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Note the wages for sin is death, not eternal punishing and torment in some place called Hell. That's why I believe eternal punishment is eternal death vs. eternal life.
I don't live by science as my religion as some of you seem to, it would be hard to keep up with the changes. Like where humans came from, first it was Africa, then others are saying Middle East, while some are saying Asia. Science says Native Americans are from Asia, now they are saying both Asia and Western Europe. Where will we be from next week?
Hey Ric, can your god make a rock so heavy he cannot lift it?

Sacramento, CA

#103604 Jul 31, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
As I wrote, I'm pretty sure it's an economic strategy to avoid WTO sanctions about subsidizing Japanese farmers. Our farming system works totally different than yours does.
Edward: I agree science is driven by money. I agree Japanese agriculture is uncompetitive. Here in this country we pay farmers not to farm.

Sacramento, CA

#103605 Jul 31, 2014
bacon hater wrote:
<quoted text>
I've never said you come here to push your religion. You're lying again.
I said you're a delusional idiot who contributes to some of the greatest atrocities ever committed in the history of man.
Sorry, I agree you are a bigot. How did I contribute? Are you talking about the taxes I pay that went to bombs and drone attacks? How could something I have done contribute to the past? Yes you are delusional.

Sacramento, CA

#103606 Jul 31, 2014
bacon hater wrote:
<quoted text>
How can you say that it is "OK" to be a member of a group that, at least, funds and adds legitimacy to criminals? And, at worst, rapes and tortures children?
I used to think it was fine too. I thought a personal belief was benign, provided the people were rational in how they applied it to their lives.
I was wrong.
There's nothing OK about people who support and add legitimacy to criminals. It is immoral and deplorable.
Whine, whine whine.....what group is raping and torturing children? so you were raped as a child?

Sacramento, CA

#103607 Jul 31, 2014
EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>
the concept of Christian justice could not be cloudier. God is "mysterious", we're told. Yet, morals and ethics should NOT be mysterious. Christians beg off answering, because they're not "experts", yet they live their lives in obedience to doctrines they don't understand.
How is Christianity to be trusted, when this is the state of things? Why should it be tolerated, when they want to legislate according to beliefs they cannot even explain?
Why should anyone be punished FOREVER, for innocuous things like sex and belief? Why do people willingly support and champion this barbarity, while calling it "moral"?
<quoted text>
You're not "pushing" your religion if I'm ASKING you about it. I'm sure if you explain that to them, they will understand. But I can't really help you with your conversations with other people. I can only ask about what I'm curious about. I think everyone here would at least prefer that you stick to the topic rather than rant endlessly about completely unrelated political issues.
You say that you want to understand how I believe but when I post it, you actually just want to argue about it and put it down. I don't ask and ask about why atheist don't have all the answers when I don't really want an answer, I just want to whine. You still haven't mentioned why you came off as an environmentalist so concerned about the climate but then say you could care less about water pollution.

Sacramento, CA

#103608 Jul 31, 2014
EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>
All you've said is that you believe in "a place of eternal punishment"..
What I do notice is that the longer I defend the Bible, the more fervent will be the attacks on it And the mockery and ridicule. I'll be told you’re stupid, an idiot, and that you believe in mythology. Like you got it all figured out. atheists make it impossible to prove God exists when they have their eyes closed, their fingers in their ears, and they’re asking questions that they know are impossible. But I expect it from an atheist.“God is opposed to the proud, but gives grace to the humble.”(James 4:6).

Sacramento, CA

#103609 Jul 31, 2014
bacon hater wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Ric, can your god make a rock so heavy he cannot lift it?
.And a Liberal/Marxist Atheist who feels Religion is the Opiate of the masses and a tool of malicious capitalistic oppression.

Atheists become 'rude' when they believe Religion is evil.

“Mercury bubbles blast!”

Mercury

#103610 Jul 31, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>Edward: I agree science is driven by money. I agree Japanese agriculture is uncompetitive. Here in this country we pay farmers not to farm.
Why mischaracterize what I wrote?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 6 min RiccardoFire 8,331
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 7 min Buck Crick 880,675
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 7 min Liam 603,561
The Christian Atheist debate 14 min Stilgar Fifrawi 4,056
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 17 min andet1987 6,407
Convert DVD to MP4 - Guides of ripping DVD to MP4 (Jul '10) 27 min maryannie 3
Anti-Gay Marriage Celebs Who Turned Up Gay :) 46 min andet1987 1
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 5 hr waaasssuuup 7,653
More from around the web