Click on an option to vote

Yes

No

Since: Nov 12

Sacramento, CA

#103465 Jul 26, 2014
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Eternal punishment contradicts Christianity for it would be unjust. Such a God is unworthy of worship.
That would be the argument for those not worthy. I could go in further detail, but the point is that is my belief.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#103466 Jul 26, 2014
RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>That would be the argument for those not worthy. I could go in further detail, but the point is that is my belief.
Not at all. What crime done in one's puny life is equal too eternal punishment?

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#103467 Jul 26, 2014
RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>I posted an article about how it has not reduced pesticide use. Even though I don't eat corn or soy which are the major GMO foods, I care about our water and share Miss Wastewater's concerns. enjoy your soy filled GMO crap.
That article used no references whatsoever and did not produce any scientific citations to back up its claims. I refuted it very easily by posting to the scienctific articles it purposefully and dishonestly misrepresented.

So, no, you did not provide evidence to back your claims. You just sort of made fun of yourself.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#103468 Jul 26, 2014
RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>Not all science is in agreement that GMO's are bad for you. Not all science says humans are driving climate change. Please tell us: what is science saying about diet and nutrition?
Not a single scientific paper shows that GMO foods are bad for you. Eating GMO is exactly like eating regular food. If you knew what genes, protein, carbohydrates and fats were, you'd know this. But you aren't that educated.

GMO could be dangerous to ecosystems, but not to the digestive system.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#103469 Jul 26, 2014
RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>That would be the argument for those not worthy. I could go in further detail, but the point is that is my belief.
~oooooohhhh, scary~

Sacramento, CA

#103470 Jul 26, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Not a single scientific paper shows that GMO foods are bad for you. Eating GMO is exactly like eating regular food. If you knew what genes, protein, carbohydrates and fats were, you'd know this. But you aren't that educated.
GMO could be dangerous to ecosystems, but not to the digestive system.
Do you eat corn or soy products?

Sacramento, CA

#103471 Jul 26, 2014
The American Academy of Environmental Medicine (AAEM) urges doctors to prescribe non-GMO diets for all patients. They cite animal studies showing organ damage, gastrointestinal and immune system disorders, accelerated aging, and infertility. Human studies show how genetically modified (GM) food can leave material behind inside us, possibly causing long-term problems. Genes inserted into GM soy, for example, can transfer into the DNA of bacteria living inside us, and that the toxic insecticide produced by GM corn was found in the blood of pregnant women and their unborn fetuses.

Numerous health problems increased after GMOs were introduced in 1996. The percentage of Americans with three or more chronic illnesses jumped from 7% to 13% in just 9 years; food allergies skyrocketed, and disorders such as autism, reproductive disorders, digestive problems, and others are on the rise. Although there is not sufficient research to confirm that GMOs are a contributing factor, doctors groups such as the AAEM tell us not to wait before we start protecting ourselves, and especially our children who are most at risk.

The American Public Health Association and American Nurses Association are among many medical groups that condemn the use of GM bovine growth hormone, because the milk from treated cows has more of the hormone IGF-1 (insulin-like growth factor 1)&#8213;which is linked to cancer.

what will the GMO eater say? Will common sense kick in?

Sacramento, CA

#103472 Jul 26, 2014

Sacramento, CA

#103473 Jul 26, 2014
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Not at all. What crime done in one's puny life is equal too eternal punishment?
Why does it make you so pissy that many people believe in eternal punishment considering you don't believe in God?

Sacramento, CA

#103474 Jul 26, 2014
GMOs increase herbicide use.
Most GM crops are engineered to be "herbicide tolerant"&#8213;they deadly weed killer. Monsanto, for example, sells Roundup Ready crops, designed to survive applications of their Roundup herbicide.

Between 1996 and 2008, US farmers sprayed an extra 383 million pounds of herbicide on GMOs. Overuse of Roundup results in "superweeds," resistant to the herbicide. This is causing farmers to use even more toxic herbicides every year. Not only does this create environmental harm, GM foods contain higher residues of toxic herbicides. Roundup, for example, is linked with sterility, hormone disruption, birth defects, and cancer.

From the same link as above. I trust the common sense, putting Roundup in people's food products doesn't pass the test. Maybe in your lab, but not the real world.

Sacramento, CA

#103475 Jul 26, 2014
GMOs harm the environment.
GM crops and their associated herbicides can harm birds, insects, amphibians, marine ecosystems, and soil organisms. They reduce bio-diversity, pollute water resources, and are unsustainable. For example, GM crops are eliminating habitat for monarch butterflies, whose populations are down 50% in the US. Roundup herbicide has been shown to cause birth defects in amphibians, embryonic deaths and endocrine disruptions, and organ damage in animals even at very low doses. GM canola has been found growing wild in North Dakota and California, threatening to pass on its herbicide tolerant genes on to weeds. And the funny thing is you claim to be so concerned about the environment. LOL

Sacramento, CA

#103477 Jul 26, 2014
The studies commissioned by Monsanto understandably come to the conclusion that genetically modified foods and crops are both safe for the environment and safe for people. They are commissioned by the people who want that outcome. Studies from objective researchers, however, often come to very different conclusions.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#103478 Jul 26, 2014
RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>Do you eat corn or soy products?
I'm not in your country. My country doesn't actually allow many GMO products, but that's more of an economic struggle than the product of medical concerns. See, if Japan refuses to accept GMO, they can continue to subsidize Japanese farmers - which is not otherwise allowed under the WTO.

So, yes, I eat popcorn, stay the hell away from corn syrup aka corn sugar (not b/c it's GMO), and soy made here (tofu, shoyu, curd, all kinds of stuff - it's pretty much a staple of the cuisine).

“Comfort the afflicted”

Since: May 13

Afflict the comfortable

#103479 Jul 26, 2014
RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>You just dodged a question on your reply about science, diet and nutrition.
You asked what "science says about diet and nutrition." That's like asking what science says about space. Please, narrow the scope of your question or clarify its intent.

But mine still remains unanswered. Why do you believe the science regarding GMO's negative effects over the science regarding AGW, when you know the evidence as well as the consensus regarding the latter is considerably stronger than in the case of the former?

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#103481 Jul 27, 2014
RiccardoFire wrote:
Will common sense kick in?
Ok, here's the scientific paper I found that possibly supports your claims:

http://somloquesembrem.org/wp-content/uploads...

First, it's a fascinating study. Very well worth reading through.

Second, I have one issue with their study about stats - I'm not qualified to critique the actual science, but the stats, yes. Simply put, their sample size is tiny. They compared 10 GMO mice to 10 controls. Normal sample sizes for stats is 30. Further, their in depth analyses were only carried out on 3 of each group. That's a tiny, tiny sample and potentially introduces statistical flaws.

Third, they make this observation: "The macroscopic analysis did not reveal evidence differences between control and GM-fed mice; moreover, no significant difference in the mortality rate was observed between the two animal groups." (which makes sense, since the authors themselves killed all the animals at the same time).

Fourth, they found a "differential expression of a number of proteins mostly related to metabolic pathways (i.e. lipid and carbohydrate) and t othe urea cycle." That's really interesting. Unfortunately, they are unable to conclusively demonstrate that their findings are the result of the genetic modification or the treatment by roundup. I'm guessing it's the roundup - either way, their findings aren't positive for the combination of GMO + roundup.

Last, I don't know what the response is from other scientists since I haven't done a lot of reading in this area. The study came from 2008, so it has likely been reviewed and similar studies carried out - it may also have been reinterpreted. I'll see if I can find out.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#103482 Jul 27, 2014
RiccardoFire wrote:
http://www.responsibletechnolo gy.org/10-Reasons-to-Avoid-GMO s
- again, not a science based source.
- their first statement has not been demonstrated
- their second statement demonstrates a lack of understanding of evolution
- their third statement is accurate and a good reason to worry
- their fourth statement is a profound claim with no supporting evidence
- 5 is true
- 6, I don' t know
- I hope 7 is not true
- 8 again is a massive claim with no support, while their mention of herbicide issues is simply an elaboration of their third statement
- 9 is quote mining. Yes, the UNEP released this document: http://www.unep.org/dewa/agassessment/reports... (English).pdf

and yes, they said that paragraph, but they also said a lot more, including that GM foods will be necessary in the future to feed the planet. After the paragraph in question, they said that a lot more R&D has to go into GMO foods, along with a larger public discussion.

- 10 is accurate for his purposes.

So, it's a mix of dishonestly, intellectual dishonesty, stupidity and ideology. It's not a science source, it's misleading you. However, you are a believer of that ideology, so this kind of writing appeals to you.

I'd recommend you attempt to do your own thinking and look more diligently into the issues. That website is not being honest with you.

Here is the full report by the UN on agriculture:

http://www.unep.org/dewa/agassessment/reports... (English).pdf

And the Global Summery for world leaders:

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#103483 Jul 27, 2014
Wow. None of my links went through:

http://www.unep.org/dewa/agassessment/reports...

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#103484 Jul 27, 2014
trying one more time...

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#103485 Jul 27, 2014
Ok, couldn't get them to take. Here is the homepage where I got all the above documents:

http://www.unep.org/dewa/assessments/ecosyste...

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#103486 Jul 27, 2014
RiccardoFire wrote:
The studies commissioned by Monsanto understandably come to the conclusion that genetically modified foods and crops are both safe for the environment and safe for people. They are commissioned by the people who want that outcome. Studies from objective researchers, however, often come to very different conclusions.
Totally. Now just list some "objective" researcher's data, please. Not the trash websites that you list above, but real science.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 3 min dollarsbill 3,755
Why Iím no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 6 min hiwaychristian 443,015
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 17 min Hidingfromyou 831,708
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 32 min Just Think 586,639
No one should blaspheme Prophet Mohammad, peace... 45 min MUQ2 293
News Israel's end is near, Ahmadinejad says (Jun '07) 48 min MUQ2 38,119
EMIRGAN PROFILO Servis +( 212 299 15 34 )+ PROF... 1 hr profilo1 1
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 5 hr mike 611,976
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 8 hr Neelakaran 6,454
More from around the web