Click on an option to vote

Yes

No

Since: Nov 12

Sacramento, CA

#103032 Jul 15, 2014
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
The story doesn't add up for so many reasons.
1. It is physically impossible.
2. Nobody in Noah's time could have made such a vessel.
3. There is insufficient water in the world to cover Mt. Ararat.
4. The world is much older than Mt. Ararat.
5. Noah could not collect all the animals in the world, much less take care of them.
6. There is no evidence of such a flood given the fact Mt. Ararat is not very old.
the ancient Greeks built vessels at least this size 2,000 years earlier. If one or two men today can erect a large house in just 12 weeks, how much more could three or four men do in a few years? Even what is now Mt. Everest was once covered with water and uplifted afterward.

Since: Nov 12

Sacramento, CA

#103033 Jul 15, 2014
ohjuststop wrote:
I am gay, and i also practice Catholicism and christian teachings and i know that what i am is a sin, i also know that it is in our nature to sin ever since we bit the apple. mostly evrrything you and i do is a sin, but in a moral prospective love is love and it is not a sin to love.
True we all sinners and fall short of the glory of God. A lot of Churches today are changing their attitude towards gay people. Letting God judge instead of those old hell and fire sermons. I agree we are to love.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#103034 Jul 15, 2014
ohjuststop wrote:
<quoted text>
Not stupid, just vague, just like right and wrong. we all live in our own worlds ruled by our own definition, what is considered reality to one is fake to another.
How very true. Sin is a most arbitrary concept with many definitions.

Location hidden

#103035 Jul 15, 2014
RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>the ancient Greeks built vessels at least this size 2,000 years earlier. If one or two men today can erect a large house in just 12 weeks, how much more could three or four men do in a few years? Even what is now Mt. Everest was once covered with water and uplifted afterward.
Nope. 400' vessels of wood were not possible without iron fasteners.

A large house is no comparison.

Mt. Everest is much older than the myth of Noah. Mt. Ararat erupted into a mountain in the Holocene period (10,000 years ago)

The Global Volcanism Program database currently contains 1559 volcanoes with eruptions during the Holocene period (approximately the last 10,000 years) or exhibiting current unrest. Primary names are sorted below in alphabetical order. Please use the volcano search page to find other names and create a list with synonyms and subfeatures.
http://www.volcano.si.edu/list_volcano_holoce...

The story of Noah's ark, as it is told in the Bible, is a reworking of an earlier Babylonian myth recorded in the Gilgamesh Epic. The hero of the earlier version is one Utnapishtim, the favorite of Ea, the god of wisdom. It seems probable that the Babylonian story was based on an unusually devastating flood in the Euphrates (Firat) River basin, and that the ark in it grounded on the slopes of one of the Zagros mountains. The biblical word that we read as "Ararat" could as well be read "Urartu"; the text has merely "rrt" and the proper vowels must be supplied.

http://www.allaboutturkey.com/ararat.htm

The earliest obvious historical reference to the geography surrounding Noah's Ark landing on Mount Ararat is by the early church historian Philostorgius's account around A.D. 425. Philip R. Amidon edited the 2007 translation of Philostorgius, originally from Joseph Bidez, except for the extracts from the Syriac chronicles. Amidon emphasizes how Philostorgius made great use of the immense library resources of Constantinople in his writings, which should give us more confidence in his geography.
How it is that Philostorgius even knows that the Ark landed on the Armenian Mount Ararat in ca. 425 AD if supposedly (as Bailey et al. contend) no one came up with that idea until medieval times and no one ever made such identification until then?
Amidon states the following in the introduction about Philostorgius: "The learned and fervently Eunomian layman Philostorgius, born in Cappadocia around 368, heartily detested such historiography as may be imagined [this reference is to the Council of Nicaea's Nicene Creed supporters like Rufinus who translated and extended/massaged Eusebius of Caesarea writings into Latin to show support for Nicene Christianity]. The remnants of his writing show a lively intellectual curiosity encouraged by his sectarian creed, whose God is not the hidden deity of Gnosticism but one whose very substance can be known by human reason directed aright. He obviously drank deeply.... Gnosticism is always the silent partner in the debates between Nicene and Eunomian Christians, the real foe against whom Aetius fought the battle that nearly led to his death. And there is some evidence that this view comes from Eunomius himself. This being the tenor of Philostorgius's history, it is not surprising that the government that championed the Nicene faith would seek to suppress it, seeing that it had previously ordered the burning of the works of Eunomius, one of the great heroes of his tale... He followed Herodotus's lead in historiography, embroidering his narrative with learned excursions into geography and natural history and in general cultivating style that would recommend him to his readers. The style was no empty show. His immersion in the scholarly resources offered by Constantinople has preserved for us, even in the abridgement of its original work, traditions

http://www.araratexpedition.com/info/mount-ar...

Location hidden

#103036 Jul 15, 2014
RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>the ancient Greeks built vessels at least this size 2,000 years earlier. If one or two men today can erect a large house in just 12 weeks, how much more could three or four men do in a few years? Even what is now Mt. Everest was once covered with water and uplifted afterward.
Greeks had iron. Greeks came a long time after Noah.

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#103037 Jul 15, 2014
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
My question exactly. Why?
Somehow we have to get to the bottom of this question, you and I.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#103038 Jul 15, 2014
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Unless Noah was very good at shoveling shit.*:o)
hahaha!

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#103039 Jul 15, 2014
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Have God send a huge flood and drown everyone.
No more hunger right?
And it would benefit us all from proving God existed!

Nice.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#103040 Jul 15, 2014
RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>Your point is nothing more then your opinion which seems like an attack, Here it is in reverse: My point is that Atheism has a long way to go and it's clearly the product of human assumptions with nothing more then the believer has. Is this fun?
Well, you're right. I have no issues what you just said above. Should I?

All belief systems are human creations. I'm not sure that atheism counts as a belief system - it is a belief, absolutely, but not an entire way of thinking about reality like religion is.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#103041 Jul 15, 2014
RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>Evidence Noah's Biblical Flood Happened, Says Robert Ballard http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/evidence-sug... http://www.messagetoeagle.com/greatflood.php#...
Oh, there have been lots of floods throughout geological history. You can read about them on the wikipedia page here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outburst_flood#G...

But the Biblical flood is a myth. The world was never covered entirely by oceans at the time the bible makes this claim, Noah did not take 2 of every animal on his ship - if you seriously believe Noah did this, you are laughably ignorant of contemporary science.

First of all, if that were true, all land animal's genes would have reset to 2 breeding individuals. We do not make this observation - the closest any species comes is the cheetah, b/c they suffered a near extinction event several thousand years ago.

Second, all fish would have gone extinct - almost all water life, period.

Third, the geology doesn't support a worldwide flood. You probably don't know your history here, but there used to be a science called "Catastrophism." It was based entirely on the myth of the Biblical flood. Anyways, it made testable, disprovable predictions and, guess what, they are all disproved. Hence we have modern geology now. Catastrophism failed and is no longer considered science.

Anyways, there's more evidence than I can write down here, but suffice it to say, only the utterly ignorant believe such fairy tales.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#103042 Jul 15, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
It's just based on ppl's great fear of water. Not hard to see why: with the tsunami u had, then the terrible flooding here a couple of years ago.
Maybe. A lot of these OT myths are directly traceable to the religion of Mesopotamia. They made it into Jewish mythology through cultural diffusion - Mesopotamia was, after all, the center of the civilized world for thousands of years before collapse.

Anyways, "the land between two rivers" used to flood every year. That's why they had such great crops. So their mythology revolved around flooding.

The Jews borrowed this myth and adopted it for their own. It's that simple.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#103043 Jul 15, 2014
ohjuststop wrote:
I am gay, and i also practice Catholicism and christian teachings and i know that what i am is a sin, i also know that it is in our nature to sin ever since we bit the apple. mostly evrrything you and i do is a sin, but in a moral prospective love is love and it is not a sin to love.
Sin is a cultural construct. It's just the way Christianity attaches meaning to behavior. "sin" is not a human universal and does not exist in non-Christian cultures. We actually think it's quite silly to attach personal guilt to private actions.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#103044 Jul 15, 2014
RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>True we all sinners and fall short of the glory of God. A lot of Churches today are changing their attitude towards gay people. Letting God judge instead of those old hell and fire sermons. I agree we are to love.
Yeah, only a believer could have come up with the above. But whatever, at least you're heading into the right direction.

Location hidden

#103045 Jul 15, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Somehow we have to get to the bottom of this question, you and I.
Why?

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#103046 Jul 15, 2014
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Greeks had iron. Greeks came a long time after Noah.
Polynesians were crossing the Pacific ocean around 2000 years ago. In fact, the Pacific was a highway of transport to them.

Funny their cultures make no mention of a world wide flood. You know, the people who would be most affected by one.

Location hidden

#103047 Jul 15, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
And it would benefit us all from proving God existed!
Nice.
Somebody needs to survive to tell about it, otherwise, what is the point?

Location hidden

#103048 Jul 15, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, you're right. I have no issues what you just said above. Should I?
All belief systems are human creations. I'm not sure that atheism counts as a belief system - it is a belief, absolutely, but not an entire way of thinking about reality like religion is.
What about a pain based belief system?

Location hidden

#103049 Jul 15, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Polynesians were crossing the Pacific ocean around 2000 years ago. In fact, the Pacific was a highway of transport to them.
Funny their cultures make no mention of a world wide flood. You know, the people who would be most affected by one.
I thought it interesting that Babylonian myth became Biblical myth.

The story of Noah's ark, as it is told in the Bible, is a reworking of an earlier Babylonian myth recorded in the Gilgamesh Epic. The hero of the earlier version is one Utnapishtim, the favorite of Ea, the god of wisdom. It seems probable that the Babylonian story was based on an unusually devastating flood in the Euphrates (Firat) River basin, and that the ark in it grounded on the slopes of one of the Zagros mountains. The biblical word that we read as "Ararat" could as well be read "Urartu"; the text has merely "rrt" and the proper vowels must be supplied.

http://www.allaboutturkey.com/ararat.htm

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#103050 Jul 15, 2014
bacon hater wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. If you think that snakes really talked, that a man lived to be 900 years old and that a virgin gave birth, you are, by definition, delusional.
I never said I believed those things.

Who's delusional?

If you want to understand my spiritual beliefs, then ask me, don't assume please.

Location hidden

#103051 Jul 15, 2014
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Somebody needs to survive to tell about it, otherwise, what is the point?
Or perhaps we shouldn't worship God because he can just squish us like a bug for no good reason at all.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 7 min Seentheotherside 609,983
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 7 min who 270,214
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 11 min Christina La Vey 579,441
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 11 min RiccardoFire 39,987
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 11 min BenAdam 818,421
magi chudbo 27 min rajevas 3
Sex with Mom (May '12) 32 min rajevas 14
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 2 hr Rosa_Winkel 2,051
More from around the web