Created by Travis Morgan on Oct 27, 2007

59,181 votes

Click on an option to vote

Yes

No

Toby

Eugene, OR

#102152 Jun 26, 2014
"Baron and Ransberger (1978) argue that civil violence increases as temperature rises into the mid 80s, and then decreases as temperatures rise further. Two experiments test this hypothesis using data on temperature and the incidence of crime for summer months in two midwestern cities. The crime data were divided into violent and nonviolent crimes, and then correlated with the maximum, minimum, and average temperatures, and several humidity measures. Violent crime correlated significantly with temperature; nonviolent crime did not."

Source - Baron and Ransberger (1978) Ambient Temperature and the Occurrence of Collective Violence

Since: Nov 12

Sacramento, CA

#102153 Jun 26, 2014
Le_le wrote:
<quoted text>
I asked because of your ignorance to what is right and just.
I want no one silenced. Not even you.
Keep spreading your hatred and bigotry in the name of your god.
And I'll keep calling you on it..
Fair enough?
Ps. I care. I find homophobia unexceptable.
How did explaining people's right to protest get this silly fit of calling that hatred and bigotry? IF there was something I wrote that you don't agree with, why don't you focus on that instead of being a coward and resorting to name calling? I never mentioned God in that post, you are the bigot.

Sacramento, CA

#102154 Jun 26, 2014
Toby wrote:
<quoted text>
If you research the connection between hotter weather and an increase in violent crime you will quickly discover that is not some kind of far fetched liberal invention only reported on Mother Jones.Studies on a causal connection between hotter weather and an increase in crime go back almost forty years ago. Similar results were reported by University of Iowa professor Craig Anderson in an article titled "Heat and Violence" that article was released in 2001.
Journalist Julia Dahl- " Eugene O'Donnell, a former New York City police officer and current lecturer at John Jay College of Criminal Justice, says that when he was on the beat, the saying was "Jack Frost is the best policeman."
In a paper published by the Journal Science in 2013 it stated that sixty studies on the causal relationship between increased heat and violence found that the higher the temperature the more the incident of violent crimes.ce. "Baron and Ransberger's (1978) examination of archival data of serious civil disorders in America between 1967 and 1971 found results that sug-gest 'a curvilinear relationship between ambient temperature and the incidence of col- lective violence." source- "WEATHER AND CRIME - UBC Department of Geography"
From the Harvard Kennedy School - Crime, Weather, and Climate Change- By Matthew Ranson- " This paper estimates the impact of climate change on the prevalence of criminal activity in the United States. The analysis is based on a panel of monthly crime, temperature, and precipitation data for 2,972 U.S. counties over the 50-year period from 1960 to 2009. I identify the effect of weather on monthly crime by using a semi-parametric bin estimator and control ling for county-by-month and county-by-year fixed effects. The results show that temperature has a strong positive effect on criminal behavior, with little evidence of lagged impacts."
So as you can see a connection between higher temperatures and an increase in crime was linked nearly forty years ago, it's not something new that liberals invented.
I don't care when it was stated, that has nothing to do with it. It's a bunch of LIberal BS

“Busting Kimare's”

Since: Feb 13

Clitty

#102155 Jun 26, 2014
KiMare should enjoy this one:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/formerlyfundie/w...

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#102156 Jun 26, 2014
Dusty Mangina wrote:
KiMare should enjoy this one:
How interesting.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#102157 Jun 26, 2014
The word Jesus uses in Greek is &#947;&#941;&#949; &#957;&#957;&#945; (Gehenna), which actually means “The Valley of the Son of Hinnom”. An over simplified description of Gehenna would be that it was the garbage dump outside of Jerusalem; this was the place where both garbage and dead bodies would be discarded and consumed by a fire that was likely always burning. The location goes all the way back to the book of Joshua, and was a place where bad things happened– child sacrifice, bodies were cremated, etc. Basically, imagine a dump where garbage is burned– add into that the vision of burning bodies and a historical connotation of child sacrifice, and you’ll see that it wasn’t a very desirable place. However, it was a very literal place and the original audience of Jesus would have understood it as such. They would not have heard the word “Gahenna” and thought of our concept of hell– they would have realized Jesus was talking about an actual place outside the city.

Read more: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/formerlyfundie/w...

EXACTLY

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

#102158 Jun 26, 2014
RiccardoFire wrote:
dissenters? from all around the world we have this evil plot......really? Prove it.
Prove... what? You're the one making the claim. Prove your own claim. If there's an evil plot all around the world, then there ought to be at least ONE person who feels conflicted from being duplicitous, coming forward to admit their hoax, even equipped with paperwork to prove it.

According to your logic, this has been going on for DECADES, yet not a SINGLE, SOLITARY climate scientist is ethical enough to step forward and admit the hidden guilt of thousands.

It's one thing to be skeptical, but this is beyond plausible. This many people from this many countries working over this much time would simply NOT be able to keep this quiet. I'm sure you already have a dim view of the kinds of people who would claim that virgins don't get pregnant or that the anteaters would eat all the ants on the ark, but you can't possibly believe that THIS many human beings are THAT willingly, guiltlessly dishonest. That is not a realistic view of humanity.

It would be more plausible that our atmosphere would spontaneously turn to molasses, than that a conspiracy this large could be this well organized for this many years.
RiccardoFire wrote:
the nobel prize is a joke these days. wake up.
LOL, why is it a joke? Because they gave OBAMA one? Oh sure, wake up! The most prestigious award organization on the planet is SUDDENLY discredited, because they gave a prize to someone that the Republicans hate!

"Skeptical" indeed. You are ready to discard ANY well-supported system the moment ONE data point appears which supports your own cherished position. You aren't "skeptical", you're "contrarian", LOOKING for the weakest excuse to accuse good people of the most heinous crimes if they don't use magic to reach their conclusions.

Sacramento, CA

#102159 Jun 26, 2014
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
How interesting.
http://im41.com/archives/43865#sthash.OoJxmYi...

Sacramento, CA

#102160 Jun 26, 2014
EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove... what? You're the one making the claim. Prove your own claim. If there's an evil plot all around the world, then there ought to be at least ONE person who feels conflicted from being duplicitous, coming forward to admit their hoax, even equipped with paperwork to prove it.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new s/article-1229740/Hackers-expo se-global-warming-Claims-leake d-emails-reveal-research-centr e-massaged-temperature-data.ht ml Please dont attack the source, many news outlets have covered this. There is evidence of data manipulation and collusion to control the peer review process in order to manipulate "accepted" science. The emails are proof of scientific fraud on a massive scale.

Glad it wasn't Lois Lerner's emails, she is good at making them vanish. Are you ashamed of her?

Sacramento, CA

#102161 Jun 26, 2014
WasteWater wrote:
The word Jesus uses in Greek is &#947;&#941;&#949; &#957;&#957;&#945;
EXACTLY
should I pray to a number?

Sacramento, CA

#102162 Jun 26, 2014
Hilarious Absurdity: Global Warming Scientists Stuck in Antarctic Ice - See more at: http://im41.com/archives/43865#sthash.OoJxmYi...

“Unconvinced”

Seattle, WA

#102163 Jun 26, 2014
RiccardoFire wrote:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new s/article-1229740/Hackers-expo se-global-warming-Claims-leake d-emails-reveal-research-centr e-massaged-temperature-data.ht ml Please dont attack the source, many news outlets have covered this.
Oh yeah? Did they cover the ENTIRE story, from beginning to end, as you don't?

From Wikipedia: Six committees investigated the allegations and published reports, finding no evidence of fraud or scientific misconduct. The Muir Russell report, however, stated, "We do find that there has been a consistent pattern of failing to display the proper degree of openness, both on the part of CRU scientists and on the part of the UEA." The scientific consensus that global warming is occurring as a result of human activity remained unchanged by the end of the investigations.

Wikipedia provides citations for every sentence in that paragraph.

This was not a case of someone coming forward to say "we've been lying". Someone else BROKE IN and STOLE this data, and then made their own claims about it, which SIX different investigative committees could not support.

You are NOT exercising skepticism. If you WERE, then you would be just as convinced of the falsehood of Christianity by the endless parade of raping, lying priests. You have chosen your preferred target, and you willingly swallow the tiniest indictment against them to fulfill your confirmation bias, ignoring the final outcomes of the event.
RiccardoFire wrote:
There is evidence of data manipulation and collusion to control the peer review process in order to manipulate "accepted" science. The emails are proof of scientific fraud on a massive scale.
Six investigative committees disagree with you. And if you can't level this same kind of "skepticism" against the religious community for THEIR infractions, then true skepticism escapes you.
RiccardoFire wrote:
Glad it wasn't Lois Lerner's emails, she is good at making them vanish. Are you ashamed of her?
No idea who you're talking about. Please don't assume (I know you hate assumptions) that all liberals care about all the same things.

Are you ashamed of pedophile priests? Do they represent you in the same way that you hope Phil Jones or Lois Lerner represent me?

Sacramento, CA

#102164 Jun 26, 2014
EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>

LOL, why is it a joke? Because they gave OBAMA one?
Obama won that prize for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between people. They should have waited for him to actually do something, look at the mess he has created in the middle east all his scandals........There is nothing that puts him in the same category with Mother Teresa, Nelson Mandela, Martin Luther King Jr., and the majority of people on that list. Was it letting in a poor countries kids? 2009 prize to President Barack Obama, who, while not even a year into his first term, nonetheless impressed the Norwegians by not being President George W. Bush, despite extending large chunks of his foreign policy. Of course, wars continue, drones fall, Guantanamo is still in business, embassies are attacked, and American troops continue to fight a futile war in Afghanistan. So even by the measure of hopefulness, the Norwegians have been colossally wrong.- Russian President Vladimir Putin has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize, CBS News reports. It's been a joke for quite a while — ever since it was won by President Obama for having accomplished exactly nothing.

Sacramento, CA

#102165 Jun 26, 2014
EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>

Are you ashamed of pedophile priests? Do they represent you in the same way that you hope Phil Jones or Lois Lerner represent me?
Don't get so defensive, didn't say anyone represents you. It's been the top story for the past few days, just wondering your thoughts. relax

Sacramento, CA

#102166 Jun 26, 2014
A new batch of 5,000 emails among scientists central to the assertion that humans are causing a global warming crisis were anonymously released to the public yesterday, igniting a new firestorm of controversy nearly two years to the day after similar emails ignited the Climategate scandal.

Three themes are emerging from the newly released emails:(1) prominent scientists central to the global warming debate are taking measures to conceal rather than disseminate underlying data and discussions; (2) these scientists view global warming as a political “cause” rather than a balanced scientific inquiry and (3) many of these scientists frankly admit to each other that much of the science is weak and dependent on deliberate manipulation of facts and data. http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamestaylor/2011/... The original Climategate emails contained similar evidence of destroying information and data that the public would naturally assume would be available according to freedom of information principles.“Mike, can you delete any emails you may have had with Keith [Briffa] re AR4 [UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change 4th Assessment]?” Jones wrote to Penn State University scientist Michael Mann in an email released in Climategate 1.0.“Keith will do likewise.… We will be getting Caspar [Ammann] to do likewise. I see that CA [the Climate Audit Web site] claim they discovered the 1945 problem in the Nature paper!!”

The new emails also reveal the scientists’ attempts to politicize the debate and advance predetermined outcomes.

“Unconvinced”

Seattle, WA

#102167 Jun 26, 2014
RiccardoFire wrote:
Obama won that prize for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between people. They should have waited for him to actually do something, look at the mess he has created in the middle east all his scandals........There is nothing that puts him in the same category with Mother Teresa, Nelson Mandela, Martin Luther King Jr., and the majority of people on that list.
So the ENTIRE Nobel Prize system is a "joke" because of Obama? LOL! You shouldn't WANT anyone else to be on that list, if it's a joke!

Mother Teresa was an awful person, who prized suffering for the poor. I liked Mandela, but I've spoken with Christians who despise him, because of his violent past. This is not a consistent list you've compiled.
RiccardoFire wrote:
Was it letting in a poor countries kids? 2009 prize to President Barack Obama, who, while not even a year into his first term, nonetheless impressed the Norwegians by not being President George W. Bush, despite extending large chunks of his foreign policy. Of course, wars continue, drones fall, Guantanamo is still in business, embassies are attacked, and American troops continue to fight a futile war in Afghanistan. So even by the measure of hopefulness, the Norwegians have been colossally wrong.- Russian President Vladimir Putin has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize, CBS News reports. It's been a joke for quite a while — ever since it was won by President Obama for having accomplished exactly nothing.
You see? It's not a "joke" to you when it goes to your personal heroes. It lost credibility with you the MOMENT you disagreed with the choice of a winner.

Sacramento, CA

#102168 Jun 26, 2014
Today, by a vote of 9-0, the U.S. Supreme Court struck down Obama’s unconstitutional overreach in National Labor Relations Board v. Noel Canning. “In our view,” declared the majority opinion of Justice Stephen Breyer, “the pro forma sessions count as sessions, not as periods of recess.” Therefore, “We hold that, for purposes of the Recess Appointments Clause, the Senate is in session when it says it is.”.................9 to 0 the prize winner Lost.

“Unconvinced”

Seattle, WA

#102169 Jun 26, 2014
RiccardoFire wrote:
Don't get so defensive, didn't say anyone represents you. It's been the top story for the past few days, just wondering your thoughts. relax
What is this "defensive" you keep talking about? That makes no sense.

You asked what I thought about some email something, which I guess must be because we were talking about emails and that's sort of similar.

So, I asked a very similar question. I asked how you felt about the deceitful practices of people among your OWN ranks, since that can be seen as similar to deceitful practices among people who I trust.

But it would appear that you are allowed to ask questions which I'm not. You can make these comparisons, but I am suddenly "defensive" if I do exactly what you did. Whatever.

Sacramento, CA

#102170 Jun 26, 2014
EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>
What is this "defensive" you keep talking about? That makes no sense.
You asked what I thought about some email something, which I guess must be because we were talking about emails and that's sort of similar.
So, I asked a very similar question. I asked how you felt about the deceitful practices of people among your OWN ranks, since that can be seen as similar to deceitful practices among people who I trust.
But it would appear that you are allowed to ask questions which I'm not. You can make these comparisons, but I am suddenly "defensive" if I do exactly what you did. Whatever.
didn't say anyone represents you, you seemed to miss that.

Sacramento, CA

#102171 Jun 26, 2014
EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>
So the ENTIRE Nobel Prize system is a "joke" because of Obama?.
obama was the icing on the cake. putin is a nominee, and in 1939, Hitler. castro, stalin also were nominees. and just recently, the EU.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 4 min RiversideRedneck 64,635
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 16 min mpetershat 654,425
Jessica Fellers in Clinton TN 23 min Newport30 1
Mencari teman seks wanita yang gersang (Sep '15) 37 min Hyunkle 21
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 37 min MUQ2 45,288
Israel End is Near (Feb '15) 43 min MUQ2 504
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 1 hr WasteWater 2,601
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 4 hr MUQ2 281,954
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 6 hr X Pendable 183,219
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 6 hr Gabriel 973,952
More from around the web