Click on an option to vote

Yes

No

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#95664 Jan 17, 2014
KiMare wrote:
Clearly most people IN ALL OF HISTORY agree with me.
Smile.
Is that how you gauge morality? What most people in history have believed?

Are you sure that is your final answer?

“Runner John Green disqualified”

Since: Aug 12

4 Bible Scripture on headband

#95665 Jan 17, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Why is homosexuality wrong? What's the rationale?
As for what the Bible says, eating shellfish is an abomination
The Bible refers to homosexual practice as an abomination, unnatural and informs us that those who practice such things shall not enter into the Kingdom of God.

As far as the word "abomination" in reference to homosexuality, a lot of times people will then counter by also referring the Bible's account that abomination is also "eating shellfish".

Please bear in mind that the Hebrew (in some places, Chaldean) in which the Old Testament was originally written in, the Hebrew use for "abomination" when referring to shellfish and the like is the Hebrew word "shequet" (a destestable thing, it can refer to an idol, and also unclean) while the other Hebrew use for "abomination" that is used for the two passages in Leviticus which refers to homosexuality, is "tow'ebah" (that is, a disgusting thing, and from an ethical sense ---> wickedness. Depending on other passages, it can also refer to something else in a ritualistic sense).

So, the abomination used for shellfish and the abomination used for homosexual practice are two different connotations in the original language.

Is wickedness... sin? You betcha.

San Francisco

#95666 Jan 17, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Your assumption is flawed. Since Jesus did not address homosexuality does not mean acceptance or indifference. He did not have to since it was 1st century Palestine. Homosexuality far more an issue in Pagan nations. It may have been practiced by the Roman occupation force [who knows?] but was rejected by the Hebrews. Philo addressed it from Egypt.(1st century Jew)
http://marepacificumpublishing.com/2013/04/14...
Logically if Jesus did not mention it specifically then at the very least it indicates indifference.

San Francisco

#95667 Jan 17, 2014
bassbaby wrote:
Didn't Christ hang out with "whores, thieves, crazy people and the TAXMAN!!!!" Who was treated like a second cousin to Satan? How could a peaceful and loving man turn away homosexuals? With the Christ I was raised with, I can't believe he would be so hateful towards gays. We sure man didn't put that gay tidbit in the Bible? "Love ye one another as I have loved you" Don't remember it saying "Hate gays and treat them as badly as you can. Judge them, persecute them as often as you can." Live and let live.
In fact, the only people Jesus had scorn for were the judgmental Pharisees who idolized laws rather than God. Hopefully modern day Pharisees see that obvious point before it's too late for them.

San Francisco

#95668 Jan 17, 2014
chief22 wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus didn't need to mention it by name, sexual immorality was already forbidden, Jesus never spoke of pedophillia or beastiality either but we don't talk about these sins.
You are still putting words in Jesus' mouth.

Matthew 22:36-40 - "Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

Jesus replied:“‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it:‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

That is clear and simple. Are you, as a self-described Christian, following this greatest commandment by the God you claim to worship? Or isn't what this God says really important to you?

San Francisco

#95669 Jan 17, 2014
Qu_innocence wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
I'm glad that you already understand the Bible condemns homosexuality. One has to be seriously blind, completely dazed or walking in serious stubborness to think that the Bible says otherwise.
The short of it is it is more of a process of undergoing sanctification. God says that He is holy and asks His people to be holy. That's not to say that God's people don't fall, slip or make mistakes in regards to sin but we don't make a habit of it nor do we enjoy doing so... and when we do slip up we repent, with genuine sorrow, and we get back on track.
But fornication is sin and unholy in God's eyes.... and homosexuality happens to fall within that category.
"It is God's will that you should be sanctified: that you should avoid sexual immorality."
I Thessalonians 4:3
You still haven't addressed what the rationale is. You are just making a circular argument: homosexuality is a sin because it is sinful. Why is it sinful? Why is sex between two heterosexuals not fornication, but change the gender of one of them and it turns into fornication? How does that work?

San Francisco

#95670 Jan 17, 2014
Qu_innocence wrote:
<quoted text>The Bible refers to homosexual practice as an abomination, unnatural and informs us that those who practice such things shall not enter into the Kingdom of God.
As far as the word "abomination" in reference to homosexuality, a lot of times people will then counter by also referring the Bible's account that abomination is also "eating shellfish".
Please bear in mind that the Hebrew (in some places, Chaldean) in which the Old Testament was originally written in, the Hebrew use for "abomination" when referring to shellfish and the like is the Hebrew word "shequet" (a destestable thing, it can refer to an idol, and also unclean) while the other Hebrew use for "abomination" that is used for the two passages in Leviticus which refers to homosexuality, is "tow'ebah" (that is, a disgusting thing, and from an ethical sense ---> wickedness. Depending on other passages, it can also refer to something else in a ritualistic sense).
So, the abomination used for shellfish and the abomination used for homosexual practice are two different connotations in the original language.
Is wickedness... sin? You betcha.
If you can't reason why homosexuality is an abomination, then why is eating shellfish an abomination? Is the Bible a rational document? Is God irrational?

Since: Nov 12

Elk Grove, CA

#95673 Jan 17, 2014
Jay wrote:
<quoted text>
No slander involved. Sexual immorality involves not only fornication but also homosexuality.
The verse is about divorce, why do you relate most of the warnings from the Bible as related to homosexuality? Is it to make you seem prouder and above the rest? I'm not gay but am willing to let God judge and not look for every other word in the Book to slander a gay person and point my finger at them. Jesus said to love your neighbor. Not get in their sex life.

Since: Nov 12

Elk Grove, CA

#95674 Jan 17, 2014
Jay wrote:
<quoted text>
God determines what is sin and sin is harmful to us. Sex between 2 unmarried heterosexuals is fornication.
You just countered yourself in 2 sentences. How funny.

San Francisco

#95675 Jan 17, 2014
Jay wrote:
<quoted text>
Not using circular reasoning. The definition of sexual immorality includes homosexuality. This is taken from a scholarly source on NT words. What is sin is to say that something that God condemns is good and not sin. That is a very serious sin to do that.
You don't see this as circular reasoning? If you believe that the bible says that homosexuality is immoral, I'm asking you why. You keep saying it's a sin because it is a sin.

San Francisco

#95676 Jan 17, 2014
Jay wrote:
<quoted text>
God determines what is sin and sin is harmful to us. Sex between 2 unmarried heterosexuals is fornication.
Is God irrational in how it determines what is sinful? Aren't there reasons?

#95677 Jan 17, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
You still haven't addressed what the rationale is. You are just making a circular argument: homosexuality is a sin because it is sinful. Why is it sinful? Why is sex between two heterosexuals not fornication, but change the gender of one of them and it turns into fornication? How does that work?
Can I ask you a question and get an honest answer?

San Francisco

#95678 Jan 17, 2014
Qu_innocence wrote:
<quoted text>Can I ask you a question and get an honest answer?
Of course, just as no doubt you answer my questions honestly.

#95679 Jan 17, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course, just as no doubt you answer my questions honestly.
In the future.... and I'm not sure how near or distant... certain groups are going to make a push to marry their pets and/or have sex with animals as long as they believe the animals aren't harmed. Do you believe that it is wrong for human beings to have sex with animals.. if not, what is the rationale and what is your personal, initial feeling you get when you hear about these groups who want to commit zoophilia with animals outside our own species?

San Francisco

#95680 Jan 17, 2014
Qu_innocence wrote:
<quoted text>
In the future.... and I'm not sure how near or distant... certain groups are going to make a push to marry their pets and/or have sex with animals as long as they believe the animals aren't harmed. Do you believe that it is wrong for human beings to have sex with animals.. if not, what is the rationale and what is your personal, initial feeling you get when you hear about these groups who want to commit zoophilia with animals outside our own species?
Human adults can give consent, animals can't. Beyond that, I don't see why bestiality has any more to do with homosexuality than heterosexuality.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#95682 Jan 17, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
If you can't reason why homosexuality is an abomination, then why is eating shellfish an abomination? Is the Bible a rational document? Is God irrational?
Christians interpret Scripture from the New to the Old. The Old is viewed through the lens of the New. Your exegesis focuses on the Old exclusively as indicated above. Dietary restrictions updated in the New. So you are making a false comparison based on eisegesis or reading bias into Scripture. In other words you do not know what you are talking about. Your method is abusive. Don't blame God or the Bible for your irrational interpretations. The fault is not with the stars.

#95683 Jan 17, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Human adults can give consent, animals can't. Beyond that, I don't see why bestiality has any more to do with homosexuality than heterosexuality.
In the question, I didn't say anything about hetero/homo relations.... I asked you very specifically do you think that it is wrong for people to have sex with animals, to explain your rational and what was your personal, initial feeling that you have regarding bestiality.

You didn't fully answer the question at hand.

#95684 Jan 17, 2014
Ten Questions & Answers For a Parent of a Homosexual Child

QUESTION ONE: WHY DID THIS HAPPEN TO MY CHILD?

ANSWER: The good news is that your child was born, like all children, to develop into a heterosexual; the bad news is that your child suffered emotional wounds in his/her childhood that blocked his/her innate capacity to grow into heterosexuality. The specific issues for each individual will depend on the totality of his/her environment

As Richard Cohen tells us in his book, Coming Out Straight, same-sex attractions (SSA) are symptoms of underlying wounds. They represent an inappropriate response to conflicts in the present, a way to medicate pain and discomfort, unresolved childhood trauma, archaic emotions, frozen feelings, wounds that never healed. They also represent a reparative drive to fulfill unmet homo-emotional love needs of the past – an unconscious drive for greater bonding with the same-sex parent.

Very briefly, homosexuality is not about sex, but is rather an emotionally-based condition consisting of the following three subconscious drives:

Need for greater attachment to the same-sex parent and less attachment to the
opposite sex parent

Need for stronger gender identification

Fear of sexual or emotional intimacy with the opposite sex.

http://jonahweb.org/sections.php...

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#95685 Jan 17, 2014
Jay wrote:
<quoted text>
Your comment is " meaningless drivel." The fact is the Bible condemns homosexuality. It never affirms it.
You failed to prove that opinion. You quoted Romans which was about some kind of idol worshiping ritual. This post is simply an ad hominem fallacy.

I also proved that this type of post is contrary to what the Bible teaches about busybody's. You obviously live in open rebellion to the Bible's wisdom. Why should anyone take you seriously?

Looks like insults are easier for you.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#95686 Jan 17, 2014
Doctor REALITY wrote:
God will never allow homosexuality, or any other sin, to be practice in heaven .
What an idiotic post. You don't know anything of God.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 4 min Brian_G 618,560
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 5 min Steve III 44,644
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 15 min Steve III 646,384
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 31 min It aint necessari... 48,235
topix drops human sexuality forum.......this be... 1 hr Brian_G 15
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 2 hr USA-1 38,746
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 hr Brian_G 971,603
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 4 hr bad bob 182,627
More from around the web