Here is a site that gives the basic info;

http://www.letusreason.org/
Biblexp185.htm

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#92406 Sep 4, 2013
KiMare wrote:
I care not where someone goes, the ultimate source is what matters.
Yes dear, the ultimate source is what matters and the Bible is laughing at you. Nowhere is polygamy prohibited in the Old Testament, in fact it commands it. The New Testament works don't expressly prohibit it either, but those works were written for populations that didn't practice it. Thanks for playing, but once again you are sadly mistaken in what you know.
Toby

Portland, OR

#92407 Sep 4, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>According to Deuteronomy, if your brother dies, you are to marry his widow.
I still don't understand the Exodus 21:10 verse, it says that if a man takes another wife, he still must adequately cloth and feed his first wife, he certainly can't do that if she is dead, and the verse doesn't mention any divorce at all.
Toby

Portland, OR

#92408 Sep 4, 2013
That verse I mentioned is in the context and guidelines on how to sell ones daughter

Exodus 21:7 And if a man sell his daughter to be a maidservant, she shall not go out as the menservants do.

Why didn't Sky-God just say " absolutely no polygamy " in no uncertain terms? Situational ethics God

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#92409 Sep 4, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>Yes dear, the ultimate source is what matters and the Bible is laughing at you. Nowhere is polygamy prohibited in the Old Testament, in fact it commands it. The New Testament works don't expressly prohibit it either, but those works were written for populations that didn't practice it. Thanks for playing, but once again you are sadly mistaken in what you know.
Oh please, tell me where it is commanded.

Smile.

Location hidden

#92410 Sep 4, 2013
Toby wrote:
That verse I mentioned is in the context and guidelines on how to sell ones daughter
Exodus 21:7 And if a man sell his daughter to be a maidservant, she shall not go out as the menservants do.
Why didn't Sky-God just say " absolutely no polygamy " in no uncertain terms? Situational ethics God
If you remember, the Pharisees asked Jesus why Moses permitted divorce. His answer? Because of the hardness of your hearts.

In other words, God addressed situations that we get ourselves into, and gave us guides to deal with them. Slavery would be another one.

this one

#92411 Sep 4, 2013
Toby wrote:
I still don't understand the Exodus 21:10 verse, it says that if a man takes another wife, he still must adequately cloth and feed his first wife, he certainly can't do that if she is dead, and the verse doesn't mention any divorce at all.
Exodus 21:2-11 deals with the treatment of Hebrews sold as servants/slaves. Verse 10 is in reference to daughters sold as servants/concubines. Under Jewish law they are considered his wife.

this one

#92412 Sep 4, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh please, tell me where it is commanded.
Smile.
Deuteronomy 25:

5 If brothers are living together and one of them dies without a son, his widow must not marry outside the family. Her husband’s brother shall take her and marry her and fulfill the duty of a brother-in-law to her. 6 The first son she bears shall carry on the name of the dead brother so that his name will not be blotted out from Israel.

7 However, if a man does not want to marry his brother’s wife, she shall go to the elders at the town gate and say,“My husband’s brother refuses to carry on his brother’s name in Israel. He will not fulfill the duty of a brother-in-law to me.” 8 Then the elders of his town shall summon him and talk to him. If he persists in saying,“I do not want to marry her,” 9 his brother’s widow shall go up to him in the presence of the elders, take off one of his sandals, spit in his face and say,“This is what is done to the man who will not build up his brother’s family line.” 10 That man’s line shall be known in Israel as The Family of the Unsandaled.

You were saying, sweetie?

Location hidden

#92413 Sep 4, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>Deuteronomy 25:
5 If brothers are living together and one of them dies without a son, his widow must not marry outside the family. Her husband’s brother shall take her and marry her and fulfill the duty of a brother-in-law to her. 6 The first son she bears shall carry on the name of the dead brother so that his name will not be blotted out from Israel.
7 However, if a man does not want to marry his brother’s wife, she shall go to the elders at the town gate and say,“My husband’s brother refuses to carry on his brother’s name in Israel. He will not fulfill the duty of a brother-in-law to me.” 8 Then the elders of his town shall summon him and talk to him. If he persists in saying,“I do not want to marry her,” 9 his brother’s widow shall go up to him in the presence of the elders, take off one of his sandals, spit in his face and say,“This is what is done to the man who will not build up his brother’s family line.” 10 That man’s line shall be known in Israel as The Family of the Unsandaled.
You were saying, sweetie?
Where does it say the other brother is married?

Sweetie?

Since: Nov 12

Fremont, CA

#92414 Sep 4, 2013
Toby wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't believe there was any assumption that evolution was in any way (all of a sudden), it took hundreds of millions of years for humans to evolve. If you referring to the origin of our planet I believe that is over 4 billion years.
no intelligent person believes intelligent life formed from rock and chemicals in any amount of time.

“True Blue”

Since: Jun 13

Opal-Hearted Land

#92415 Sep 4, 2013
atheist wrote:
<quoted text>Allah didn't create universe.
Universe created itself.
Bible are Quran are fakes.
Shukryah.

“True Blue”

Since: Jun 13

Opal-Hearted Land

#92416 Sep 4, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>Yes dear, the ultimate source is what matters and the Bible is laughing at you. Nowhere is polygamy prohibited in the Old Testament, in fact it commands it. The New Testament works don't expressly prohibit it either, but those works were written for populations that didn't practice it. Thanks for playing, but once again you are sadly mistaken in what you know.
Indeed. Our tradition of monogamous marriages originates more with the Greeks and Romans.

They also had some form of same-sex partnerships.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#92417 Sep 4, 2013
RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>no intelligent person believes intelligent life formed from rock and chemicals in any amount of time.
Why not? With God all things are possible right? Maybe that's how God really does it.
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#92418 Sep 4, 2013
atheist wrote:
<quoted text>Allah didn't create universe.
Universe created itself.
Bible are Quran are fakes.
Why dont you create yourself and do not die?

I did not know that bloody fools are also present on this thread!!

Since: Nov 12

Sacramento, CA

#92419 Sep 4, 2013
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Why not? With God all things are possible right? Maybe that's how God really does it.
LOL

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#92420 Sep 4, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Why dont you create yourself and do not die?
I did not know that bloody fools are also present on this thread!!
Learned something new about yourself today?

“Trolls are Clueless”

Since: Dec 07

Aptos, California

#92421 Sep 4, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>According to Deuteronomy, if your brother dies, you are to marry his widow.
That's right, even if you are already married.
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#92422 Sep 5, 2013
RF wrote:
WWMD?(what would mo do?) Marry his daughter-in-law? Own slaves? Require women to cover their faces? Have sex with a 9-year-old girl? Advocate beheading? Approve of prostitution? Recommend wife-beating? Kill prisoners of war? Tell sick persons to heal them-selves by drinking camel urine? Have eleven wives?
(at one time) Have boys as young as
13-years-old beheaded? Approve of Sex with Minors? Enslave women and children? Stone adulterers to death? Torture a man out of greed? Kill someone for insulting him? Keep women as sex slaves? Capture a woman and rape her? Encourage the rape of women
in front of their husbands? Oh, and don't forget that according to Allah himself (speaking through Muhammad, of course) Muhammad is the most "beautiful pattern of conduct" and "example" for mankind to follow!(Quran 33:21), as well as the "exalted standard of character" (Quran 68:4).
Ans.

I think your record has a slight crocking sound.

You should take pause before you speak in such a large sentence!!

Take rest and a good sleep, may be in morning you will feel better.!!
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#92423 Sep 5, 2013
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Learned something new about yourself today?
Yeah, and that is you do not have to go far to meet perfect idiots, if you are surfing Topix threads!!

Location hidden

#92424 Sep 5, 2013
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed. Our tradition of monogamous marriages originates more with the Greeks and Romans.
They also had some form of same-sex partnerships.
No.

And, no.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 min Phooey 646,364
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 4 min here 281,225
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 4 min Truth Buster 48,048
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 15 min Peace_Warrior 618,556
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 22 min andet1987 2,015
dried poppy pods (Mar '13) 25 min BobbyReal 33
How do I own a forum? 39 min Norm 2
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr VIKING 971,581
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 2 hr RiccardoFire 44,641
More from around the web