Is homosexuality a sin?

Created by Travis Morgan on Oct 27, 2007

57,894 votes

Click on an option to vote

Yes

No

ROCCO

Desert Hot Springs, CA

#37951 May 18, 2011
MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>
The Aryan race?...Don't know much about genetics do you?
Hi, MisterCharrington.

Maybe you can answer a question for me. Some people seem to think that homosexuality is the surest sign that a civilization is about to crumble. And not to mention other things such as that it is also the reason a character called "God" destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah some time back.

I notice you post from London. I also understand that, like a few
states here in the U.S. and some insignificant countries such as
Canada, Sweden, Norway, Netherlands(Belgium), Spain, Portugal, South Africa, and oh yeah! the U.K.(duh!) yada, yada, you live in
a place where marriage between two people of the same sex is legal.

That said, my question is this:

Have you noticed whether your sky has fallen or not? Do you have
any knowledge as to whether the sky is lower over any of those
other countries I have listed?

I hope you will not hold it against me that I have used the word
"insignificant" to describe any of these countries, including
yours; I am merely following the example of one who presumes to be
more knowledgeable than me and some others over here who believe we are of superior status.

I need someone such as you to set me straight on the matter.

Thank you so much for the thoughtful and deliberate response that
you will hopefully provide me somewhat promptly - or at least before I start figuring out how to avoid a falling sky on this
side of the pond.

“some...you just can't reach”

Since: Jun 08

others...you don't want to

#37952 May 18, 2011
foodforthought wrote:
<quoted text>
And do you actual scientific evidence of this? The CDC does not list it as a disease and it is not contagious from one individual to another. And I see not evidence of any actual social ill derived from it. If you are talking about HIV/AIDS, then you are most ill informed regarding that disease.
You are relying on very bad information in making your statements and are nothing more than religious prejudice created by interpretation of an ancient writing of some 2,000 to 5,000 years ago, when they thought the earth was the center of the universe and the earth was flat. This perpetuation of ignorance of the facts continues to harm society.
There is no evidence that any heterosexual marriage every was damaged because their gay neighbors might get married or live together. Yes, I have heard the argument that some men have left their wives for another man. If you understand the background of these cases, the men/husbands, were gay from the beginning and eventually acted on their love for someone else. This is no different than a man/husband leaving for another woman that they have fallen in love with. The gender is the only thing different.
If a religion wants to classify homosexuality as a sin, that is their prerogative.
But public policy in secular governance should not adhere to the prejudices of religion, regardless if it is Christian, Jewish, or Muslim.
The civil liberties of all humans must be equal and just. Otherwise you have ternary against a class or group of citizens for no other reason than they do not conform to a religious doctrine.
Our 14th Amendment to our Constitution guarantees equal protection and rights under the law. Therefore DOMA and other laws passed by various states prohibiting gay marriage, which is a civil act, are in direct violation of this Constitutional Guarantee of homosexual citizens.
Marriage is and has always been a civil act under the law. Those who wish to have their marriage performed and recognized by a religion can do so and as a courtesy accept that act as equal to the civil act, rather than requiring two separate marriage acts. Otherwise, all persons regardless of orientation would have to be married by clergy only. That is not currently the mandate of government, so the argument that all marriages are a sanctified act of God fails.
It is immaterial whether homosexuality is genetic, familial or nurture. It has existed since humans began, in all cultures, all races, all nationalities and on all continents without respect to religion. Therefore, there is no other explanation other than it IS an act of nature and should be recognized as such.
excellent post....however...you know the churchies will dance all over that one.....but you hit the nail right on the head....again...awesome post
Gaybriel

United States

#37953 May 18, 2011
I neglected to mention in post #37948 that the author of that book "Normal gets you nowhere" is by Kelly Cutrone.

“T-Warrior”

Since: Dec 07

El Paso Tx (Rochester NY)

#37954 May 18, 2011
Mike wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh, no those cultures had homosexuality from the beginning. Rome didn't decline until it embraced Christianity.
Rome was well on its way to oblivion, if anything Christianity prolonged the end.

“T-Warrior”

Since: Dec 07

El Paso Tx (Rochester NY)

#37955 May 18, 2011
ROCCO wrote:
<quoted text>
We're not after changing anything that doesn't already exist,
Chief22 - except ignorance, and ensuring that all Americans have the same rights and privileges. If you are witnessing perversion, then you're apparently hanging out in places (and doing things) that some of us (and some of you) don't. Maybe you should focus
on your heterosexual side of the perversion fence.
Make it expensive? Actually, the price we've already paid for the
discrimination and suffering wrought upon us by those like you far
outweighs any possible cost we will bear as the battle continues.
Homosexuality has no adverse affect on civilization; the audacity
of ignorance such as yours undoubtedly does. It cripples the very
foundation of our American way. But, if you like spending your
money on useless causes - I say go for it!
To close, you're a walking, talking contradiction. On one hand
you call us "perversions", etc., and stand in defiance of marriage
of same-sex gender, while on the other pronouncing your support of
civil unions. Once again, you are on both sides of the fence, and
as usual, condemning it either way.
Make up your mind.
I don't intend to compromise my values just so you can feel better about yourself

“T-Warrior”

Since: Dec 07

El Paso Tx (Rochester NY)

#37956 May 18, 2011
ROCCO wrote:
<quoted text>
We're not after changing anything that doesn't already exist,
Chief22 - except ignorance, and ensuring that all Americans have the same rights and privileges. If you are witnessing perversion, then you're apparently hanging out in places (and doing things) that some of us (and some of you) don't. Maybe you should focus
on your heterosexual side of the perversion fence.
Make it expensive? Actually, the price we've already paid for the
discrimination and suffering wrought upon us by those like you far
outweighs any possible cost we will bear as the battle continues.
Homosexuality has no adverse affect on civilization; the audacity
of ignorance such as yours undoubtedly does. It cripples the very
foundation of our American way. But, if you like spending your
money on useless causes - I say go for it!
To close, you're a walking, talking contradiction. On one hand
you call us "perversions", etc., and stand in defiance of marriage
of same-sex gender, while on the other pronouncing your support of
civil unions. Once again, you are on both sides of the fence, and
as usual, condemning it either way.
Make up your mind.
You want to change the purpose function and deffinition of marriage.
Allie

Elk Grove, CA

#37957 May 18, 2011
.... I don't think that anyone should shove their beliefs down another's throat. Honestly.. by you saying that "It's in the Bible.. God created Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve" you're using a group of people's beliefs to tell another group of people that they're wrong. Not everyone is a Christian. Some people don't even believe in God. It's not right for you to tell me that I can't someday marry my girlfriend because the Bible says so. What kind of sh*t is that?!

“meow”

Since: Apr 07

Madison, Wisconsin(The Town )

#37958 May 18, 2011
Hetero Hero wrote:
<quoted text>
Bi Sexuality is related with homosexuality.
I'm aware of that. That's why I mentioned it in the first place!
Brighton John

London, UK

#37959 May 19, 2011
ROCCO wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi, MisterCharrington.
Maybe you can answer a question for me. Some people seem to think that homosexuality is the surest sign that a civilization is about to crumble. And not to mention other things such as that it is also the reason a character called "God" destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah some time back.
I notice you post from London. I also understand that, like a few
states here in the U.S. and some insignificant countries such as
Canada, Sweden, Norway, Netherlands(Belgium), Spain, Portugal, South Africa, and oh yeah! the U.K.(duh!) yada, yada, you live in
a place where marriage between two people of the same sex is legal.
That said, my question is this:
Have you noticed whether your sky has fallen or not? Do you have
any knowledge as to whether the sky is lower over any of those
other countries I have listed?
I hope you will not hold it against me that I have used the word
"insignificant" to describe any of these countries, including
yours; I am merely following the example of one who presumes to be
more knowledgeable than me and some others over here who believe we are of superior status.
I need someone such as you to set me straight on the matter.
Thank you so much for the thoughtful and deliberate response that
you will hopefully provide me somewhat promptly - or at least before I start figuring out how to avoid a falling sky on this
side of the pond.
The old chestnut about civilisations crumbling because of homosexuality had been around a long time. The Roman Empire is usually held up as a typical example. Yet anyone with even the most superficial knowledge of history will know that homosexuality was quite acceptable under the Roman Empire (unless a slave subordinated a free man sexually, i.e. "stuprum") and that only after the Empire became Christian and forbade homosexual practices, under Theodosius and then Justinian, did it begin to crumble.
In fact all major civilisations, including the present-day ones have been based on military expansion, and that has always been largely the field of homosexual or bisexual men, I cite Nebuchadnezzar II, Alexander the Great, Julius Caesar, Richard Lionheart, Frederick the Great of Prussia, Peter the Great of Russia, Suleiman the Great of Turkey, Prince Henry the Navigator of Portugal, Prince Eugene of Savoy, El Gran Capitán Gonzalo de Córdoba, Friedrich Wilhelm, Baron von Steuben, General in the American war of independence, credited with teaching the Continental Army the essentials of military drill and discipline, helping to guide it to victory -(No gay = no USA), Chaka (now called Shaka) founder of the Zulu nation and its armies, Admiral Lord Horatio Nelson (bisexual - his dying words were addressed to a naval officer: "Kiss me, Hardy"), Lord Kitchener (British commander in Chief - most of the British general staff in the heyday of empire were gay), Major-General Charles Gordon (Chinese Gordon) British commander who put down rebellion in China and established British influence there and in Egypt, etc.
Siieg Heil

Rüsselsheim, Germany

#37960 May 19, 2011
MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>
The Aryan race?...Don't know much about genetics do you?
What are you trying to say?
Mike

El Paso, TX

#37962 May 19, 2011
chief22 wrote:
<quoted text>
Rome was well on its way to oblivion, if anything Christianity prolonged the end.
Not at all. Homosexuality had been practiced during the rise and rule of the Roman Empire. It was not until the adoption of christianity as the state religion and the rejection of the values that made Rome strong was its failure sealed. Its truly sad that your position requires such a level of ignorance as to not only not know, but to get things entirely backward.
Sieg Heil

Rüsselsheim, Germany

#37963 May 19, 2011
Mike wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem a little confused -- what deprived you of your manhood, disgraced you and degraded you, as well as destroyed your family life was pedophilia, not homosexuality. It was wrong what they did to you, but you can work out your issues with your father and priest elsewhere.
What should you little bastard know about my family and my personal stand?
Mike

El Paso, TX

#37964 May 19, 2011
chief22 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't intend to compromise my values just so you can feel better about yourself
Good, because we don't intend to compromise our rights and values or the Constitution just so you can feel like you have scored a few points with your invisible sky-god.
White Caucasian

Rüsselsheim, Germany

#37965 May 19, 2011
JDuBB wrote:
<quoted text>
Full of shit as usual..
You're also among the demographic I was targeting, thanks for making yourself visible. Quit posting here, get back to making fuck ugly rims for ricers. You are a disgrace to all who inhabit your continent, even those who proudly admit to being gay activist don't wanna be grouped in with you.
Mike

El Paso, TX

#37966 May 19, 2011
chief22 wrote:
<quoted text>
You want to change the purpose function and deffinition of marriage.
No, you want to define marriage so as to exclude homosexuals -- you try to do this based on purpose and function but can't do it because every definition you have cone up with on that basis would either exclude some heterosexuals or doesn't account for the fact that homosexuals can have children. Because of that its clear it is just a BS argument that you feel the need to make to hide your hatred of homosexuals.
Mike

El Paso, TX

#37967 May 19, 2011
Sieg Heil wrote:
<quoted text>
What should you little bastard know about my family and my personal stand?
I don't know about what I should know, only what I do know. Please work out your daddy issues somewhere else.
White Caucasian

Rüsselsheim, Germany

#37968 May 19, 2011
JDuBB wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not a redskin, although that's what you assume. I'm not even full caucasian idiot.
It is written that it´s a great sin to commit homosexual practices. U are difficult for the concept like I stated many times before.
Who do ye call idiot?
I knew it from the beginning that you are not real bright. Bastard
White Caucasian

Rüsselsheim, Germany

#37969 May 19, 2011
chuck69 wrote:
<quoted text>
excellent post....however...you know the churchies will dance all over that one.....but you hit the nail right on the head....again...awesome post
You mean he/she hit the nail right on your head. Bow down to your master. Chiwawa
White Caucasian

Rüsselsheim, Germany

#37970 May 19, 2011
Allie wrote:
.... I don't think that anyone should shove their beliefs down another's throat. Honestly.. by you saying that "It's in the Bible.. God created Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve" you're using a group of people's beliefs to tell another group of people that they're wrong. Not everyone is a Christian. Some people don't even believe in God. It's not right for you to tell me that I can't someday marry my girlfriend because the Bible says so. What kind of sh*t is that?!
Weak arguement.

Since: May 11

UK

#37971 May 19, 2011
Siieg Heil wrote:
<quoted text>
What are you trying to say?
are you Siieg Heil or Sieg Heil, make up your mind. These cowardly anonymous posters always seem to be the most dense.

I'm not trying to say anything, I'm saying your use of the word "Aryan" shows you know nothing about modern human mitochondrial genetics and you prefer to use archaic definitions.If you are "Aryan" you'd have spent money on being tested and know that your DNA is Haplogroup U5 (mtDNA). Which make up only 20% of Europeans.

Have you decided you're an Aryan for any particular reason, or did you wake up one day and decide you're a viking? Are you going to heaven or valhalla?

It's a shame there's no cure for stupid.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 12 min Insults Are Easier 828,555
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 12 min RoSesz 584,245
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 14 min His Eminency dr S... 40,144
News Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 15 min Gas Woman 121,657
Moving to Oregon? Think again. 21 min Goodby Oregon 2
Sex with Mom (May '12) 1 hr PDXdave 18
Derrick Briggs 1 hr Commander Bunny 5
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 2 hr RiccardoFire 3,459
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 4 hr duststorm 442,869
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 20 hr karvinman 176,528
More from around the web