Comments
4,201 - 4,220 of 5,361 Comments Last updated Tuesday Aug 26

“Arm the homeless!”

Since: Jul 12

The internet

#4518 Sep 7, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I certainly do accept that someone with the name Jesus did in fact exist at that time and did roam the countryside preaching. In fact I do believe that there was more than one person with that name who was also preaching. I reject the Jesus depicted by Christians, one who was born of a virgin mother, performed miracles, was crucified and resurrected. Since I reject a God figure then I certainly reject one described as his son. And I reject the doctrine of the trinity, God/Jesus/the holy ghost. No one has yet to accurately describe to me with any intelligence or reason exactly how three entities exists as ONE but are somehow SEPARATE.
I know, right?

God condemned me and If I accept the holy spirit...Jesus is going to save me.

... and they are all the same dude?

“Arm the homeless!”

The internet

#4519 Sep 7, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I do enjoy their world-wide conspiracy theory. That somehow ALL of the scientists world-wide have banded together and formulated a plan to feed the general public false information in order to discredit religion. I guess it's their only course of action when faced with overwhelming facts. I do believe that being willfully ignorant is the single worst trait a person can have, and many Theists who reject the fact of evolution have this trait in spades.
Definitely a special group.

Science says that the sun is the center of our solar system and the Earth revolves around it.

The bible says the Earth is fixed on pillars and the Sun revolves around us.

Now, science really only has a theory. We should teach both and let the kids decide what to believe. You know, teach the controversy. We recognize that we have no evidence to support our own theory, but why should that matter? They are both theories right?

Only through the undeserved social licence the church receives here in America could this crap get off the launch pad.

No. Making shit up that could maybe explain something is in NO way, shape, or form equivalent to a scientific theory.

What you have is what we scientist call... a weak hypothesis. In layman's terms... an unverified thought or guess.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#4520 Sep 7, 2013
Scrutiny wrote:
<quoted text>
Definitely a special group.
Science says that the sun is the center of our solar system and the Earth revolves around it.
The bible says the Earth is fixed on pillars and the Sun revolves around us.
Now, science really only has a theory. We should teach both and let the kids decide what to believe. You know, teach the controversy. We recognize that we have no evidence to support our own theory, but why should that matter? They are both theories right?
Only through the undeserved social licence the church receives here in America could this crap get off the launch pad.
No. Making shit up that could maybe explain something is in NO way, shape, or form equivalent to a scientific theory.
What you have is what we scientist call... a weak hypothesis. In layman's terms... an unverified thought or guess.
Sure, or this......."You nave *faith* in science, but they can't even get the weather right. Why trust what science says they are wrong most of the time, they can't even agree if Pluto is a planet or not. Medical science can't cure cancer, and often get the diagnosis wrong, yet you trust science to show that evolution actually happened. No transitional fossils, man coming from monkeys, millions of different species all from one organism, anyone that believes in evolution doesn't understand God."

Dealing with these people is like trying to educate a 4 years old, pathetic.

“Arm the homeless!”

The internet

#4521 Sep 7, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Sure, or this......."You nave *faith* in science, but they can't even get the weather right. Why trust what science says they are wrong most of the time, they can't even agree if Pluto is a planet or not. Medical science can't cure cancer, and often get the diagnosis wrong, yet you trust science to show that evolution actually happened. No transitional fossils, man coming from monkeys, millions of different species all from one organism, anyone that believes in evolution doesn't understand God."
Dealing with these people is like trying to educate a 4 years old, pathetic.
Yeah, the faith in science bit is pretty easy to kill.

I try not to let myself get down on them. I don't think the blame starts with them. Besides, you never know what they are going to say next. That is enough to keep me content.

Not too long ago, I had a guy tell me...(paraphrase for brevity)

"How do you know that God doesn't live on a planet that has circled it's star 10,000 times since creation?"

I had an absolute blast with that one. I figured out how many Earth years were in a God year. Then figured out how long a day was according to the Bible and constructed a God calendar.

I was fascinated to find out that there were many many years in a God day and that one God year was like 300,800,022 dog years. Or something close to that.

Knowing is half the battle.

“Arm the homeless!”

The internet

#4522 Sep 7, 2013
By the way... his question was of coarse grounded firmly in Einstein's theory of relativity.

He told me that how long light takes to get to us is relativity, and then threw that at me.

The kicker is that the guy is not what you would call stupid if you had met him. But when it came to this particular subject... you know the rest.
Tony

Monterey Park, CA

#4523 Sep 17, 2013
Bible Verse Of The Day

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

— Psalm 119:165 —

Great peace have those who love your law,
and nothing can make them stumble.

Modern society longs for peace of mind. Here is clear cut instructions on how to attain this: if we love God and obey his laws, we will have "great peace." Trust in God, who alone stands above the pressures of daily life and gives us full assurance.

http://www.barbaralehrman.com/

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

#4524 Sep 17, 2013
"If you want to assert a truth, first make sure it's not just an opinion that you desperately want to be true." --Neil deGrasse Tyson

“I'll think about it.”

central Florida

#4525 Sep 17, 2013
"America prays to God to destroy our enemies; our enemies pray to God to destroy us.

Someone's gonna be disappointed...

Someone's wasting their f--kin' time.

Could it be .....everyone?

--George Carlin

“I'll think about it.”

central Florida

#4526 Sep 17, 2013
“I can’t believe what you say, because I see what you do.” – James Baldwin
Tony

Lake Forest, CA

#4527 Sep 19, 2013
Bible Verse Of The Day

Thursday, September 19, 2013

— Deuteronomy 20:1 —

When you go to war against your enemies and see horses and chariots and an army greater than yours, do not be afraid of them, because the Lord your God, who brought you up out of Egypt, will be with you.

Just like the Israelites, we sometimes face overwhelming opposition. Whether at school, at work, or even at home, we can feel outnumbered and helpless. God boosted the Israelites' confidence by reminding them that he was always with them and that he had already saved them from the potential danger. We too can feel secure when we consider that God is able to overcome even the most difficult odds. Fear not when you are outnumbered by your enemies. You and God are a majority!

http://www.barbaralehrman.com/

“I'll think about it.”

central Florida

#4528 Sep 19, 2013
Tony wrote:

— Deuteronomy 20:1 —
When you go to war against your enemies and see horses and chariots and an army greater than yours, do not be afraid of them, because the Lord your God, who brought you up out of Egypt, will be with you.
--Judges 1:19--
And the LORD was with Judah; and he drave out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron.

Yahweh was stopped by chariots of iron. Puny god!

“I'll think about it.”

central Florida

#4529 Sep 19, 2013
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in the delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." ---Carl Sagan
Tony

Lake Forest, CA

#4530 Sep 21, 2013
Saturday, September 21, 2013

Remember, O LORD, your great mercy and love, for they are from of old. Remember not the sins of my youth and my rebellious ways; according to your love remember me, for you are good, O LORD.

Psalm 25:6,7
Tony

Lake Forest, CA

#4531 Sep 21, 2013
Saturday, September 21, 2013

Remember, O LORD, your great mercy and love, for they are from of old. Remember not the sins of my youth and my rebellious ways; according to your love remember me, for you are good, O LORD.

Psalm 25:6-7
Tony

Garden Grove, CA

#4532 Oct 4, 2013
"I sought the LORD, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears."

— Psalm 34:4

“I'll think about it.”

central Florida

#4533 Oct 4, 2013
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. And, the atoms in your left hand
probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing
I know about physics: You are all stardust. You couldn’t be here if stars hadn’t exploded,
because the elements – the carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, iron, all the things that matter for
evolution and for life – weren’t created at the beginning of time. They were created in the
nuclear furnaces of stars, and the only way for them to get into your body is if those stars
were kind enough to explode. So, forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today.
~~ Lawrence Maxwell Krass

“I'll think about it.”

central Florida

#4534 Oct 4, 2013
"The constant assertion of belief is an indication of fear." --Jiddu Krishnamurti

“I'll think about it.”

central Florida

#4535 Oct 4, 2013
“If a man would follow, today, the teachings of the Old Testament, he would be a criminal.
If he would follow strictly the teachings of the New, he would be insane.”--Robert Ingersoll

“I'll think about it.”

central Florida

#4536 Oct 4, 2013
“Dubito ergo cogito; cogito ergo sum.
(I doubt, therefore I think; I think therefore I am)”--Rene Descartes

“I'll think about it.”

central Florida

#4537 Oct 4, 2013
"I do not wish my heart to be restarted through usage of any chemical, mechanical or physical intervention..."

"I do not want any external device to be used to maintain my respiration if my body is incapable of sustaining it on its own."

"I wish to die a peaceful, natural death."

"I do not wish artificial means of nutrition to be used, such as nasogastric tubes or a PEG tube."

"I wish nature to take its course, with only medication to prevent pain and suffering."

"Allow me the dignity we give to beloved pets. Let me die in peace."

Just a bit of advice...If you don't have a Living Will, take the time to write one. It could save you and your loved ones much heartache.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 min It aint necessari... 732,969
Last Word + 2 4 min andet1987 504
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 5 min Peace_Warrior 599,908
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 12 min guest 538,950
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 16 min bad bob 173,280
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 31 min Patrick 226,341
China Sees Growth in a Web of Fast Trains (Feb '10) 31 min RayH 3
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 32 min WasteWater 257,996
Sims 4 Key Generator (Oct '13) 1 hr Figaro 105
•••
Enter and win $5000

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••