God is REAL - Miracles Happen!
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#4510 Sep 6, 2013
I do so enjoy watching these Christians put their tails between their legs and run for cover. This dude EXPERT seems like just another cowardly Christian unable to argue for his God thingy. Not only do we Atheists know more about their holy book than they do, our understanding of science and how the world around us operated is so much more complete. I guess thats what religious brainwashing does to you, pretty friggin sad if you ask me.
Knock off purse seller

Denver, CO

#4511 Sep 6, 2013
Their bible is a joke like their jesus. Parts of it sound like someone had schizophrenia and mistook it for God speaking to them. Pretty funny if you ask me.

“Arm the homeless!”

Since: Jul 12

The internet

#4512 Sep 7, 2013
EXPERT wrote:
<quoted text>Must be able to observe and reproduce, so no, not scientific fact. FAIL!!!
<quoted text>There have been many people that have lived that there is no evidence for, also absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. FAIL!!!
<quoted text>This assumes you have absolute knowledge of 'ALL' evidence. You believe in absolutes? Go ahead and present this flood evidence...waiting.
<quoted text> No serious Historian holds to this debunked view, also there is more Historical evidence for Jesus than any other figure of the times. FAIL!!!
Get all of that chuck wagon?
We do observe and can reproduce experiments telling us how old the Earth is.
This is done through a series of radiometric dating procedures. The oldest rocks on Earth are 3.9 billion years old which fit in perfectly.
It is not like we picked up a rock outside a geologist house and licked it... "bout 4.5 billion..." This is hardcore science.

To this day there has been no one at all that had produced contrary results in a valid scientific experiment. That would get you a Nobel prize for sure and all the funding you would ever need. So it isn't like there is just no motivation.

There is no fail here. No matter what you learned in high school.

----------

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence is a logical fallacy. It is called argument from ignorance. Look it up and you will quickly realize why you should never trow that at anyone intelligent.

A much more accurate statement would be...

"That which can be asserted without evidence, may be dismissed without evidence."

----------

I am a fan of the Bible. Not so much God or Jesus. There is no historical evidence of Jesus. If you have some I would love to look at it.

I do think Jesus existed. I am not saying he was anyone like he claimed to be, but there was a guy. I have enough evidence for that. But it is hardly historical.

I have seen many claim historical evidence of Jesus. They have yet to provide it. Maybe you will be different, but I can't say my expectations are high.

“Arm the homeless!”

The internet

#4513 Sep 7, 2013
EXPERT wrote:
<quoted text>You still want more? Ok...
Let's find out who is wrong here,
My claim, "There is more Historical evidence for Jesus than any other figure of the times."
So if you want to claim otherwise, who do you believe we have more Historical evidence for?
Last, I have many more than Josephus...
Your turn, pumpkin patch!
You had better have more than Josephus.

He never mentioned Jesus.

“Arm the homeless!”

The internet

#4514 Sep 7, 2013
Funny how you can go round with smart people about evidence and reproducing results.

But you can not seem to prove Jesus.

I'll bet I could make Black Lagoon at least accept a serious possibility that a guy named Jesus walked where and when they say he did in just one post.

But I will allow you to drown in logical fallacy first. When I show you how it is done... you won't appreciate how I do it anyhow.

“Arm the homeless!”

The internet

#4515 Sep 7, 2013
I would quickly like to cover the people who believe that science is a conspiracy against religion.

You see evidence pile high against most Biblical tales (fables). Because science can't make the world 10000 years old or because Adam and Eve is a biological impossibility.

You get upset with us. You attempt over and over to invalidate anything you possibly can. You think that if you could maybe prove the flood that we would all come to see that Jesus was actually the son of a legitimate God figure.

I can grant you ALL the miracles from immaculate conception to the assumption. You still are left holding an empty vessel. None of it would prove he was the son of god.

Scientist are not a chummy group of colleges. The only thing that could make us happier than to prove something is to DISPROVE something. We are sharks. If we smell blood we will attack and discredit an experiment/theory with everything we have.

Being the man or woman that conquered Einstein, or Darwin, or even Newton would bring fame and funding. Both things are desirable by most. If I could take down relativity I would do it with glee. And there are thousands upon thousands just like me.

Science is not a gang of atheist attempting to remove religion from Earth. It just so happens that little in the Bible jives with science or history for that matter.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#4516 Sep 7, 2013
Scrutiny wrote:
Funny how you can go round with smart people about evidence and reproducing results.
But you can not seem to prove Jesus.
I'll bet I could make Black Lagoon at least accept a serious possibility that a guy named Jesus walked where and when they say he did in just one post.
But I will allow you to drown in logical fallacy first. When I show you how it is done... you won't appreciate how I do it anyhow.
I certainly do accept that someone with the name Jesus did in fact exist at that time and did roam the countryside preaching. In fact I do believe that there was more than one person with that name who was also preaching. I reject the Jesus depicted by Christians, one who was born of a virgin mother, performed miracles, was crucified and resurrected. Since I reject a God figure then I certainly reject one described as his son. And I reject the doctrine of the trinity, God/Jesus/the holy ghost. No one has yet to accurately describe to me with any intelligence or reason exactly how three entities exists as ONE but are somehow SEPARATE.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#4517 Sep 7, 2013
Scrutiny wrote:
I would quickly like to cover the people who believe that science is a conspiracy against religion.
You see evidence pile high against most Biblical tales (fables). Because science can't make the world 10000 years old or because Adam and Eve is a biological impossibility.
You get upset with us. You attempt over and over to invalidate anything you possibly can. You think that if you could maybe prove the flood that we would all come to see that Jesus was actually the son of a legitimate God figure.
I can grant you ALL the miracles from immaculate conception to the assumption. You still are left holding an empty vessel. None of it would prove he was the son of god.
Scientist are not a chummy group of colleges. The only thing that could make us happier than to prove something is to DISPROVE something. We are sharks. If we smell blood we will attack and discredit an experiment/theory with everything we have.
Being the man or woman that conquered Einstein, or Darwin, or even Newton would bring fame and funding. Both things are desirable by most. If I could take down relativity I would do it with glee. And there are thousands upon thousands just like me.
Science is not a gang of atheist attempting to remove religion from Earth. It just so happens that little in the Bible jives with science or history for that matter.
I do enjoy their world-wide conspiracy theory. That somehow ALL of the scientists world-wide have banded together and formulated a plan to feed the general public false information in order to discredit religion. I guess it's their only course of action when faced with overwhelming facts. I do believe that being willfully ignorant is the single worst trait a person can have, and many Theists who reject the fact of evolution have this trait in spades.

“Arm the homeless!”

The internet

#4518 Sep 7, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I certainly do accept that someone with the name Jesus did in fact exist at that time and did roam the countryside preaching. In fact I do believe that there was more than one person with that name who was also preaching. I reject the Jesus depicted by Christians, one who was born of a virgin mother, performed miracles, was crucified and resurrected. Since I reject a God figure then I certainly reject one described as his son. And I reject the doctrine of the trinity, God/Jesus/the holy ghost. No one has yet to accurately describe to me with any intelligence or reason exactly how three entities exists as ONE but are somehow SEPARATE.
I know, right?

God condemned me and If I accept the holy spirit...Jesus is going to save me.

... and they are all the same dude?

“Arm the homeless!”

The internet

#4519 Sep 7, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I do enjoy their world-wide conspiracy theory. That somehow ALL of the scientists world-wide have banded together and formulated a plan to feed the general public false information in order to discredit religion. I guess it's their only course of action when faced with overwhelming facts. I do believe that being willfully ignorant is the single worst trait a person can have, and many Theists who reject the fact of evolution have this trait in spades.
Definitely a special group.

Science says that the sun is the center of our solar system and the Earth revolves around it.

The bible says the Earth is fixed on pillars and the Sun revolves around us.

Now, science really only has a theory. We should teach both and let the kids decide what to believe. You know, teach the controversy. We recognize that we have no evidence to support our own theory, but why should that matter? They are both theories right?

Only through the undeserved social licence the church receives here in America could this crap get off the launch pad.

No. Making shit up that could maybe explain something is in NO way, shape, or form equivalent to a scientific theory.

What you have is what we scientist call... a weak hypothesis. In layman's terms... an unverified thought or guess.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#4520 Sep 7, 2013
Scrutiny wrote:
<quoted text>
Definitely a special group.
Science says that the sun is the center of our solar system and the Earth revolves around it.
The bible says the Earth is fixed on pillars and the Sun revolves around us.
Now, science really only has a theory. We should teach both and let the kids decide what to believe. You know, teach the controversy. We recognize that we have no evidence to support our own theory, but why should that matter? They are both theories right?
Only through the undeserved social licence the church receives here in America could this crap get off the launch pad.
No. Making shit up that could maybe explain something is in NO way, shape, or form equivalent to a scientific theory.
What you have is what we scientist call... a weak hypothesis. In layman's terms... an unverified thought or guess.
Sure, or this......."You nave *faith* in science, but they can't even get the weather right. Why trust what science says they are wrong most of the time, they can't even agree if Pluto is a planet or not. Medical science can't cure cancer, and often get the diagnosis wrong, yet you trust science to show that evolution actually happened. No transitional fossils, man coming from monkeys, millions of different species all from one organism, anyone that believes in evolution doesn't understand God."

Dealing with these people is like trying to educate a 4 years old, pathetic.

“Arm the homeless!”

The internet

#4521 Sep 7, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Sure, or this......."You nave *faith* in science, but they can't even get the weather right. Why trust what science says they are wrong most of the time, they can't even agree if Pluto is a planet or not. Medical science can't cure cancer, and often get the diagnosis wrong, yet you trust science to show that evolution actually happened. No transitional fossils, man coming from monkeys, millions of different species all from one organism, anyone that believes in evolution doesn't understand God."
Dealing with these people is like trying to educate a 4 years old, pathetic.
Yeah, the faith in science bit is pretty easy to kill.

I try not to let myself get down on them. I don't think the blame starts with them. Besides, you never know what they are going to say next. That is enough to keep me content.

Not too long ago, I had a guy tell me...(paraphrase for brevity)

"How do you know that God doesn't live on a planet that has circled it's star 10,000 times since creation?"

I had an absolute blast with that one. I figured out how many Earth years were in a God year. Then figured out how long a day was according to the Bible and constructed a God calendar.

I was fascinated to find out that there were many many years in a God day and that one God year was like 300,800,022 dog years. Or something close to that.

Knowing is half the battle.

“Arm the homeless!”

The internet

#4522 Sep 7, 2013
By the way... his question was of coarse grounded firmly in Einstein's theory of relativity.

He told me that how long light takes to get to us is relativity, and then threw that at me.

The kicker is that the guy is not what you would call stupid if you had met him. But when it came to this particular subject... you know the rest.
Tony

Studio City, CA

#4523 Sep 17, 2013
Bible Verse Of The Day

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

— Psalm 119:165 —

Great peace have those who love your law,
and nothing can make them stumble.

Modern society longs for peace of mind. Here is clear cut instructions on how to attain this: if we love God and obey his laws, we will have "great peace." Trust in God, who alone stands above the pressures of daily life and gives us full assurance.

http://www.barbaralehrman.com/

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

#4524 Sep 17, 2013
"If you want to assert a truth, first make sure it's not just an opinion that you desperately want to be true." --Neil deGrasse Tyson

“I'll think about it.”

central Florida

#4525 Sep 17, 2013
"America prays to God to destroy our enemies; our enemies pray to God to destroy us.

Someone's gonna be disappointed...

Someone's wasting their f--kin' time.

Could it be .....everyone?

--George Carlin

“I'll think about it.”

central Florida

#4526 Sep 17, 2013
“I can’t believe what you say, because I see what you do.” – James Baldwin
Tony

Los Angeles, CA

#4527 Sep 19, 2013
Bible Verse Of The Day

Thursday, September 19, 2013

— Deuteronomy 20:1 —

When you go to war against your enemies and see horses and chariots and an army greater than yours, do not be afraid of them, because the Lord your God, who brought you up out of Egypt, will be with you.

Just like the Israelites, we sometimes face overwhelming opposition. Whether at school, at work, or even at home, we can feel outnumbered and helpless. God boosted the Israelites' confidence by reminding them that he was always with them and that he had already saved them from the potential danger. We too can feel secure when we consider that God is able to overcome even the most difficult odds. Fear not when you are outnumbered by your enemies. You and God are a majority!

http://www.barbaralehrman.com/

“I'll think about it.”

central Florida

#4528 Sep 19, 2013
Tony wrote:

— Deuteronomy 20:1 —
When you go to war against your enemies and see horses and chariots and an army greater than yours, do not be afraid of them, because the Lord your God, who brought you up out of Egypt, will be with you.
--Judges 1:19--
And the LORD was with Judah; and he drave out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron.

Yahweh was stopped by chariots of iron. Puny god!

“I'll think about it.”

central Florida

#4529 Sep 19, 2013
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in the delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." ---Carl Sagan

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 8 min Gabriel 987,436
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 10 min old_moose 31,639
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 29 min PadMark 687,419
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 32 min Ricky F 39,265
Trump: "Get that Son of a B- - - - off the fiel... 37 min Johnny 6
the REAL reasons O.J. Simpson beat murder charges 1 hr Johnny 32
bathing nephew (Apr '16) 3 hr tom 5
More from around the web