“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#4455 Aug 16, 2013
Tony wrote:
Jesus declared, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty."
John 6:35
Sounds like a campaign speech or John heard it wrong.
George declared, "Read my lips, No nude axes."
ChromiuMan 10:55

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

#4456 Aug 16, 2013
"I would love to believe that when I die I will live again, that some thinking, feeling, remembering part of me will continue.

But much as I want to believe that, and despite the ancient and worldwide cultural traditions that assert an afterlife, I know of nothing to suggest that it is more than wishful thinking.

The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence.

Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides."
- Carl Sagan
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#4457 Aug 16, 2013
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
"I would love to believe that when I die I will live again, that some thinking, feeling, remembering part of me will continue.
But much as I want to believe that, and despite the ancient and worldwide cultural traditions that assert an afterlife, I know of nothing to suggest that it is more than wishful thinking.
The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence.
Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides."
- Carl Sagan
Eternal life....can you even begin to imagine a life without goals, without anything to achieve? Ever goal that you might have would eventually be fulfilled, every accomplishment realized, every joy realized over and over, until....well until what? When you have done ALL that you desired, then what will you do? Before you would stretch a never ending period of time, endless, no hope of it ever ending. I can't imagine a worse horror. Insanity would surely follow, it would have to. Maybe the religious will get exactly what they hope for, a never ending life with nothing to accomplish, all goals fulfilled, and on and on it goes...could this actually be the hell they talk about? Not fire and brimstone, but then ultimate stagnation of the mind, time without end, what horror!!!!! As Woody Allen once said..."Eternity is a really really long time, especially toward the end."
Tony

El Monte, CA

#4458 Aug 21, 2013
Psalm 23
King James Version (KJV)

23 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

“I'll think about it.”

central Florida

#4459 Aug 21, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Eternal life....can you even begin to imagine a life without goals, without anything to achieve? Ever goal that you might have would eventually be fulfilled, every accomplishment realized, every joy realized over and over, until....well until what? When you have done ALL that you desired, then what will you do? Before you would stretch a never ending period of time, endless, no hope of it ever ending. I can't imagine a worse horror. Insanity would surely follow, it would have to. Maybe the religious will get exactly what they hope for, a never ending life with nothing to accomplish, all goals fulfilled, and on and on it goes...could this actually be the hell they talk about? Not fire and brimstone, but then ultimate stagnation of the mind, time without end, what horror!!!!! As Woody Allen once said..."Eternity is a really really long time, especially toward the end."
No, I'm not sure I can imagine much worse than the eternal boredom of kissing Yahweh's butt forever...with NOTHING to look forward to but more @ss kissing...endlessly. Living the unending suck-up. Ugh. No thanks.

"Oh, Yahweh, you're the BEST."
"Love you, Yahweh, really do."
"You really know how to smite those sinners, Yahweh."
"I want to be just like you someday, Yahweh."
...ad infinitum....
Tony

El Monte, CA

#4460 Aug 22, 2013
Bible Verse Of The Day

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Colossians 1:21-23

Once you were alienated from God and were enemies in your minds because of your evil behavior. But now he has reconciled you by Christ's physical body through death to present you holy in his sight, without blemish and free from accusation if you continue in your faith, established and firm, and do not move from the hope held out in the gospel. This is the gospel that you heard and that has been proclaimed to every creature under heaven, and of which I, Paul, have become a servant.

The way to be free from sin is to trust Jesus Christ to take it away. We must remain "established and firm" in the truth of the gospel, putting our confidence in Jesus alone to forgive our sins, to make us right with God, and to empower us to live the way he desires. When a judge in a court of law declares the defendant not guilty, the person has been acquitted of all the accusations or charges. Legally, it is as if he or she had never been accused. When God forgives our sins, our record is wiped clean. From his perspective, it is as though we had never sinned. God's solution is available to you. No matter what you have done or what you have been like, God's forgiveness is for you.

http://www.barbaralehrman.com/

“Arm the homeless!”

The internet

#4461 Aug 22, 2013
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I'm not sure I can imagine much worse than the eternal boredom of kissing Yahweh's butt forever...with NOTHING to look forward to but more @ss kissing...endlessly. Living the unending suck-up. Ugh. No thanks.
"Oh, Yahweh, you're the BEST."
"Love you, Yahweh, really do."
"You really know how to smite those sinners, Yahweh."
"I want to be just like you someday, Yahweh."
...ad infinitum....

For anyone at all to wish it were true, just hasn't considered what they are being sold.

“I'll think about it.”

central Florida

#4462 Aug 22, 2013
Scrutiny wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =6GkK8wS2WWcXX
For anyone at all to wish it were true, just hasn't considered what they are being sold.
Yes, they seem to believe that they get mansions on streets of gold and get to hang out with previously deceased loved ones... just enjoying the "good life" as it were.
What the babble says they really get is to praise, glorify and otherwise kiss Yahweh's @ss 24/7.
I can't imagine anything more boring. An eternity of boredom.
Horrible.
As blacklagoon said, sounds more like that mythical Christian place called Hell.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#4463 Aug 25, 2013
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, they seem to believe that they get mansions on streets of gold and get to hang out with previously deceased loved ones... just enjoying the "good life" as it were.
What the babble says they really get is to praise, glorify and otherwise kiss Yahweh's @ss 24/7.
Horrible.
As blacklagoon said, sounds more like that mythical Christian place called Hell.
Well, think back to Eden when God planned for Adam and Eve to pretty much be condemned to that same thing before Lucifer intervened. Seems as if God's heaven is an end-run around knowledge. I don't know why he didn't just tell the rabbis to do lobotomies instead of circumcisions. Problem solved...
Tony

El Monte, CA

#4464 Aug 25, 2013
Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart. Then you will win favor and a good name in the sight of God and man.

Proverbs 3:3-4

“I'll think about it.”

central Florida

#4465 Aug 25, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, think back to Eden when God planned for Adam and Eve to pretty much be condemned to that same thing before Lucifer intervened. Seems as if God's heaven is an end-run around knowledge. I don't know why he didn't just tell the rabbis to do lobotomies instead of circumcisions. Problem solved...
LOL! You are right. Brilliant!
Why did Yahweh give human beings brains if he expected them NOT to use them?

“I'll think about it.”

central Florida

#4466 Aug 25, 2013
"Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day.
And the invisible man has a special list of 10 things he does not want you to do.
And if you do any of these 10 things he has a
special place full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish where he will send
you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry for ever and ever until the end of time...
...but he loves you."

- George Carlin

“See how you are?”

Earth

#4467 Aug 26, 2013
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL! You are right. Brilliant!
Why did Yahweh give human beings brains if he expected them NOT to use them?
I've no issues with most of the lessons Jesus (is attributed to have) taught. I have serious qualms about people believing the hocus-pocus rigmarole that written before and was invented after his death. I don't understand how after being inflicted with the knowledge of right and wrong, it is wrong to recognize and understand what is real and what is fiction. Religies are strange animals. Adam and Eve were condemned by God for wearing fig leaves and now folks who don't wear enough layers are condemned by the fundies. Go figure.
Naturally, I'm not giving even the slightest nod that there ever was a tree of knowledge and Adam and Eve or a talking snake... or elves or Prometheus or Paul Bunyan... I was just sayin'.
Knock off purse seller

Denver, CO

#4468 Aug 28, 2013
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
Horrible.
kiss Yahweh's @ss? They're beliefs are based on that, to do that even before they die. No wonder I dont believe like they do.
Knock off purse seller

Denver, CO

#4469 Aug 28, 2013
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
"Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day.
And the invisible man has a special list of 10 things he does not want you to do.
And if you do any of these 10 things he has a
special place full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish where he will send
you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry for ever and ever until the end of time...
...but he loves you."
- George Carlin
:-) Good one.

“I'll think about it.”

central Florida

#4470 Aug 28, 2013
Knock off purse seller wrote:
<quoted text>
:-) Good one.
Carlin was brilliant. I miss him.

"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist."

"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."

"Those who dance are considered insane by those who cannot hear the music."

"If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?"

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."

"There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls."
Tony

Mission Viejo, CA

#4472 Sep 2, 2013
"The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me, because the LORD has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners, to proclaim the year of the LORD's favor and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn, and provide for those who grieve in Zion -- to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the LORD for the display of his splendor."

Isaiah 61:1-3

“I'll think about it.”

central Florida

#4473 Sep 2, 2013
"Better a cruel truth than a comforable delusion."
---Edward Abbey

"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in the delusion, however satisfying and reassuring".---Carl Sagan

"Ignoring reality is not an effective way to get healthier or smarter or safer, even though it might make you feel better." ---Bruce Schneier
Knock off purse seller

Denver, CO

#4474 Sep 3, 2013
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
"Better a cruel truth than a comforable delusion."
---Edward Abbey
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in the delusion, however satisfying and reassuring".---Carl Sagan
"Ignoring reality is not an effective way to get healthier or smarter or safer, even though it might make you feel better." ---Bruce Schneier
Normally I'd agree but, in my case at least, the delusion exists in denying the reality of the miracle I experienced. So what can ya do with that one?... nothing.
andet1987

Chicago, IL

#4475 Sep 3, 2013
Knock off purse seller wrote:
<quoted text>
Normally I'd agree but, in my case at least, the delusion exists in denying the reality of the miracle I experienced. So what can ya do with that one?... nothing.
nonbelievers don't believe in Miracles and God. they argue that there is a reason behind any miracle and it's not because of God. when you ask them to explain the miracle, they can not explain it or would give an idiot explanation. they think that we are experiencing a delusion/hallucination when we experience a miracle. well, if I were a delusional type of person, then I would have been experiencing delusions/hallucinations daily or regularly. but the miracle I experienced only happened one time. it was a miracle, and never a delusion. besides, there were 2 of us who saw it, not only me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 min June VanDerMark 558,697
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 min Hidingfromyou 773,190
Can Astrology help RELATIONSHIPS & find compati... 4 min kwanloo 1
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 5 min WildWeirdWillie 175,488
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 10 min His Eminency dr S... 604,731
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 16 min Johnny 4,647
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 19 min onemale 264,946