God is REAL - Miracles Happen!
Pat

East Granby, CT

#3704 Jan 24, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You need to read "a" again.
It doesn't say that you don't need to believe in God to be an atheist........
It says a disbelief in the existence of deity. I do not beleive in the existence of a deity.

Aren't you embarrassed by defending your ignorance like this?

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#3706 Jan 24, 2013
Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
The theist lets their personal desires override their intellect to embrace unsupported beleifs, the honest atheist keeps an open mind and does not fall into that trap of self deception.
You do not have an open mind. You need proof for anything before you entertain it about being real.

You'd make a terrible painter.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#3707 Jan 24, 2013
Pat wrote:
It says a disbelief in the existence of deity. I do not beleive in the existence of a deity.
Moron. That means you disbelieve in the existence of a deity.

Since you cannot KNOW there is no deity, you DISBELIEVE that there are any.
Anon

Cleveland, OH

#3708 Jan 24, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You do not have an open mind. You need proof for anything before you entertain it about being real.
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! Has that been demonstrated on this thread?
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#3710 Jan 24, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
There was no link to check the accuracy if your claim, just your words: "THIS IS FROM WIKI"
How this, better?

Demographics of atheism
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Part of a series on
Atheism

A study has shown atheism in the West to be particularly prevalent among scientists, a tendency already quite marked at the beginning of the 20th century, developing into a dominant one during the course of the century. In 1914, James H. Leuba found that 58% of 1,000 randomly selected U.S. natural scientists expressed "disbelief or doubt in the existence of God" (defined as a personal God which interacts directly with human beings). The same study, repeated in 1996, gave a similar percentage of 60.7%. Expressions of positive disbelief rose from 52% to 72%.[17](See also relationship between religion and science.) This survey is not without criticisms however.[18]
[edit]Europe and Russia
According to a 2005 Eurostat Eurobarometer poll, 52% of European Union citizens responded that "they believe there is a God", whereas 27% answered that "they believe there is some sort of spirit or life force" and 18% that "they do not believe there is a spirit, God, nor life force". Results were widely varied between different countries, with 95% of Maltese respondents stating that they believe in God, on the one end, and only 16% of Estonians stating the same on the other.[19]

Percentages of people in European countries who said in 2005 that they "believe there is a God"

Percentages of people in European countries with no belief in a spirit, god, or life force (Eurobarometer 2005)
Eurobarometer Poll 2005
Country Belief in a god Belief in a spirit
or life force Belief in neither a spirit,
god, nor life force
Malta 95% 3% 1%
Turkey 90% 2% 1%
Cyprus 90% 7% 2%
Romania 90% 8% 1%
Greece 81% 16% 3%
Portugal 91% 6% 3%
Poland 80% 15% 1%
Italy 74% 16% 6%
Ireland 73% 22% 4%
Croatia 67% 25% 7%
Slovakia 61% 26% 11%
Spain 59% 21% 18%
Austria 54% 34% 8%
Lithuania 49% 36% 12%
Switzerland 48% 39% 9%
Germany 47% 25% 25%
Luxembourg 44% 28% 22%
Hungary 44% 31% 19%
Belgium 43% 29% 27%
Finland 41% 41% 16%
Bulgaria 40% 40% 13%
Iceland 38% 48% 11%
United Kingdom 38% 40% 20%
Latvia 37% 49% 10%
Slovenia 37% 46% 16%
France 34% 27% 33%
Netherlands 34% 37% 27%
Norway 32% 47% 17%
Denmark 31% 49% 19%
Sweden 23% 53% 23%
Czech Republic 19% 50% 30%
Estonia 16% 54% 26%
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#3711 Jan 24, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Give me a break, dude. Seriously.
Can you examine Pluto from every angle, discover it's location, perform tests on it, observe this thing in the natural realm? No I think not.
You REALLY don't know very much about the world around you do you!!! Willful ignorance is a terrible trait. Of course I know the location of Pluto, my 5th grand granddaughter knows that. For a dwarf planet that is over 2 billion miles away, I know a lot about Pluto. Exactly because I can OBSERVE THIS THING IN THE NATURAL REALM, is the reason I have information about this "thing" The atmosphere, when the surface ice thaws, evaporates into nitrogen with some methane. This happens when the planet moves closer to the sun on its 345 year journey around the sun. For 20 years it is close enough to the sun as to have an atmosphere. There is wind during this period, and the air pressure is minimal. surface temperature in the coldest periods approaches -375 degrees. The gravity is 0.066 of the earth. A basketball player performing a 10 foot "dunk" on Earth, would be able to leap 150 feet on Pluto. The diameter of Pluto is 1,485 miles. It has a rocky core surrounded by a mantel of ice. Its surface is a coating of frost made up of nitrogen and methane.

So.......as you can see, with a little research you too can learn about the world you live in, and YES Pluto can be examined, its location discovered, and it can be observed in the natural realm. Hubble telescope is a wonderful tool and deep probes are on their way for a more detailed analysis of the planet. Study boy.....STUDY!!!!!!!

Now----it's your turn, do the same with God as I have done with Pluto!!!!!

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#3713 Jan 24, 2013
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."
Albert Einstein.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#3714 Jan 24, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."
Albert Einstein.
"I do not believe in the God of theology who rewards good and punishes evil" Albert Einstein.

"I cannot imagine God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation and is but a reflection of human frailties." Albert Einstein.

When asked if he believes in immortality his answer....."No I do not, one life is enough for me."

God is a useless label, its ill defined and it has no explanatory power. It doesn't fit into any model that describes anything. Its a non-answer and you can't demonstrate it.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#3715 Jan 24, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe you and I tend to lean that way myself. I didn't know they chemistry composition though....TY! There is still possibility of life other than what we are familiar with....more sci-fi I know.....but hey;0)
Here's a disturbing observation from Dr. Neil Tyson with respect to contacting another life form. We and the Chimpanzee have almost exactly the same numbers of chromosomes, we have ONLY one more than the Chimp but look at how much more intelligent we are than a chimp. The smartest chimp can do some simple sign language. What if we were to contact another race from the stars and THEY had one more chromosome than we have. Would their intelligence level be to us, as we are to the Chimp? Suppose they evolved much sooner in time than we did. What if their planet had formed 5 million years before ours. They would have a 5 million year head start in developing their intelligence levels and their technology. How could we hope to have a dialog with them? Why would they even bother? it would be like us attempting to communicate with a worm. Amazing how just one chromosome can make such a huge difference.
Pat

East Granby, CT

#3716 Jan 25, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I can entertain the possibility of something without believing in it, you can't.
Pat

East Granby, CT

#3717 Jan 25, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Moron. That means you disbelieve in the existence of a deity.
Since you cannot KNOW there is no deity, you DISBELIEVE that there are any.
disbelief - the inability or refusal to believe or to accept something as true.

Your definition of atheist used the word disbelief. I do not believe your claim of a god is true. I am an atheist according to the definition you provided for I am not required to beleive your claim is false according to definition "a", just that it is not true. You are a moron, stubbornly defending your own ignorance.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#3719 Jan 25, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>"I do not believe in the God of theology who rewards good and punishes evil" Albert Einstein.
"I cannot imagine God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation and is but a reflection of human frailties." Albert Einstein.
When asked if he believes in immortality his answer....."No I do not, one life is enough for me."
God is a useless label, its ill defined and it has no explanatory power. It doesn't fit into any model that describes anything. Its a non-answer and you can't demonstrate it.
Written by Albert Einstein
http://www.update.uu.se/~fbendz/library/ae_sc...

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

#3720 Jan 25, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
Written by Albert Einstein
http://www.update.uu.se/~fbendz/library/ae_sc...
"But whoever has undergone the intense experience of successful advances made in this (scientific) domain is moved by profound reverence for the rationality made manifest in existence. By way of the understanding he achieves a far-reaching emancipation from the shackles of personal hopes and desires, and thereby attains that humble attitude of mind toward the grandeur of reason incarnate in existence, and which, in its profoundest depths, is inaccessible to man. This attitude, however, appears to me to be religious, in the highest sense of the word." Einstein

This part underlines what Einstein HIMSELF terms "religion."

He does not believe in the old Hebrew god Yahweh, or Odin or Zeus or the "god" of any religion.

He believes in a Creative Force which is impersonal and unknowable.
No holy book, no prayer, no church....
Pat

East Granby, CT

#3721 Jan 25, 2013
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
"But whoever has undergone the intense experience of successful advances made in this (scientific) domain is moved by profound reverence for the rationality made manifest in existence. By way of the understanding he achieves a far-reaching emancipation from the shackles of personal hopes and desires, and thereby attains that humble attitude of mind toward the grandeur of reason incarnate in existence, and which, in its profoundest depths, is inaccessible to man. This attitude, however, appears to me to be religious, in the highest sense of the word." Einstein
This part underlines what Einstein HIMSELF terms "religion."
He does not believe in the old Hebrew god Yahweh, or Odin or Zeus or the "god" of any religion.
He believes in a Creative Force which is impersonal and unknowable.
No holy book, no prayer, no church....
"The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this. For me the Jewish religion like all others is an incarnation of the most childish superstitions. And the Jewish people to whom I gladly belong and with whose mentality I have a deep affinity have no different quality for me than all other people." Albert Einstein, in a letter responding to philosopher Eric Gutkind, who had sent him a copy of his book Choose Life: The Biblical Call to Revolt;

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#3722 Jan 25, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! Has that been demonstrated on this thread?
In the best way it can, yes.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#3723 Jan 25, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text> How this, better?
Demographics of atheism
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Part of a series on
Atheism
A study has shown atheism in the West to be particularly prevalent among scientists, a tendency already quite marked at the beginning of the 20th century, developing into a dominant one during the course of the century. In 1914, James H. Leuba found that 58% of 1,000 randomly selected U.S. natural scientists expressed "disbelief or doubt in the existence of God" (defined as a personal God which interacts directly with human beings). The same study, repeated in 1996, gave a similar percentage of 60.7%. Expressions of positive disbelief rose from 52% to 72%.[17](See also relationship between religion and science.) This survey is not without criticisms however.
No, there's still no link. Do you know how to copy/paste a link?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_atheism

That site shows that:

"Europe and Russia

According to a 2005 Eurostat Eurobarometer poll, 52% of European Union citizens responded that "they believe there is a God", whereas 27% answered that "they believe there is some sort of spirit or life force" and 18% that "they do not believe there is a spirit, God, nor life force". Results were widely varied between different countries, with 95% of Maltese respondents stating that they believe in God, on the one end, and only 16% of Estonians stating the same on the other."

Did you see it?

"52% of European Union citizens responded that "they believe there is a God"'.

So stop lying that they are "atheist countries".

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#3724 Jan 25, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
Now----it's your turn, do the same with God as I have done with Pluto!!!!!
Give me another break, duder. All we "know" about Pluto is what we can see through telescopes. There's so much we don't even know about Earth, let alone Pluto.

Sure, I'll do the same with God - as long as He's a physical being we can analyze.....

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#3725 Jan 25, 2013
Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
disbelief - the inability or refusal to believe or to accept something as true.
Your definition of atheist used the word disbelief. I do not believe your claim of a god is true. I am an atheist according to the definition you provided for I am not required to beleive your claim is false according to definition "a", just that it is not true. You are a moron, stubbornly defending your own ignorance.
As far as God goes, you cannot "accept something as true"....

You do not know God doesn't exist, you merely believe it.

Why do you aheists fear the word "believe" so much?
Pat

East Granby, CT

#3726 Jan 25, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
As far as God goes, you cannot "accept something as true"....
You do not know God doesn't exist, you merely believe it.
Your father figure sky fairy is going to give you a good spankin if you keep lying like this.

True, I do not know God doesn't exist which is exactly why I would never make such an assertion. The atheists who do make such a claim (b in your supplied definition of the word atheist)is as dogmatic as the theist who makes claims of god's existence in my opinion.

An open mind is a very hard concept for a theist to grasp and you keep proving that with your stubborn refusal to accept the definition of atheist that YOU provided.
Pat

East Granby, CT

#3727 Jan 25, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Fear is exactly why you are a theist. You are unable to face your own mortality honestly.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 12 min RiccardoFire 46,194
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 13 min RiccardoFire 184,746
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 42 min Catcher1 110,267
snapchat dirty pics shemale (May '14) 1 hr Cali4real12 30
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 1 hr Bongo 12
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr President DonJ Trump 675,587
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 hr waaasssuuup 982,210
More from around the web