God is REAL - Miracles Happen!

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

#3689 Jan 23, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
How about trying to copy/paste from a reputable, unbiased site instead of your little atheist site?
Atheist:
a : a disbelief in the existence of deity
b : the doctrine that there is no deity
http://i.word.com/idictionary/atheism
Agnostic:
a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (as God) is unknown and probably unknowable
one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god
http://i.word.com/idictionary/agnostic
Atheists have a firm non-belief in a god(s) in any way. They simply believe there is no such thing as a god(s).
Agnostics are more open-minded, they don't believe in a god(s), but they haven't ruled it out that there isn't one.
Again, quite different.
Hold up there a sec. When I made the comment about Pluto, you said I was open minded. I said I didn't believe there was life, but that the ultimat proof wasn't in.

Isn't that basically Pat's stand? Nonbelief until/if there is proof? Things are seldom pure black or brightest white.

I would call myself atheist, pure and simple. Now, if a god ever shows him/her/itself to me I'll have to revise myself and will do so without hesitation. I honestly simply lack the belief that that scenario will ever happen.

I've gone to church and gone the whole nine yards on 'faith.' My faith withered from lack of nourishment, the answers I got to my questions were pure semantics and every gap was filled with the 'mysterious ways' jazz.

I didn't want to leave the church family, I liked the people but hypocrisy is not really my style. I felt they were doing the right things but that they didn't need all the mumbo jumbo to do it.

Ahhh well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it;0)
Pat

East Granby, CT

#3690 Jan 24, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
Most of us are open minded, unfortunately we butt heads on this one particular subject. Maybe politics too....I stay away from the political threads, they're totally insane.
Death is a tough subject for many to face honestly, hence we have theists.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#3692 Jan 24, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe you and I tend to lean that way myself. I didn't know they chemistry composition though....TY! There is still possibility of life other than what we are familiar with....more sci-fi I know.....but hey;0)
Carbon, of which is the prime ingredient for ALL life as we know it, is the most common element in the universe. You can make more molecules from carbon that all other ingredient combined. It is a very high probability that any life beyond our solar system would be based also on carbon, although life based on silicon is something to be looked at.

Given the vast diversions of evolution, the different planetary conditions, it would appear very unlikely that any life discovered would be like our species. Life is out there, its inevitable. Just what kind of life and the degree of intelligence is to be discovered.
Tony

United States

#3693 Jan 24, 2013
Psalm 57
King James Version (KJV)

57 Be merciful unto me, O God, be merciful unto me: for my soul trusteth in thee: yea, in the shadow of thy wings will I make my refuge, until these calamities be overpast.

2 I will cry unto God most high; unto God that performeth all things for me.

3 He shall send from heaven, and save me from the reproach of him that would swallow me up. Selah. God shall send forth his mercy and his truth.

4 My soul is among lions: and I lie even among them that are set on fire, even the sons of men, whose teeth are spears and arrows, and their tongue a sharp sword.

5 Be thou exalted, O God, above the heavens; let thy glory be above all the earth.

6 They have prepared a net for my steps; my soul is bowed down: they have digged a pit before me, into the midst whereof they are fallen themselves. Selah.

7 My heart is fixed, O God, my heart is fixed: I will sing and give praise.

8 Awake up, my glory; awake, psaltery and harp: I myself will awake early.

9 I will praise thee, O Lord, among the people: I will sing unto thee among the nations.

10 For thy mercy is great unto the heavens, and thy truth unto the clouds.

11 Be thou exalted, O God, above the heavens: let thy glory be above all the earth.
Pat

East Granby, CT

#3694 Jan 24, 2013
Psalm 57
King James Version (KJV)

57 Be merciful unto me, O Mother Goose, be merciful unto me: for my soul trusteth in thee: yea, in the shadow of thy wings will I make my refuge, until these calamities be overpast.

2 I will cry unto Mother Goose most high; unto Mother Goose that performeth all things for me.

3 She shall send from heaven, and save me from the reproach of him that would swallow me up. Selah. Mother Goose shall send forth his mercy and his truth.

4 My soul is among lions: and I lie even among them that are set on fire, even the sons of men, whose teeth are spears and arrows, and their tongue a sharp sword.

5 Be thou exalted, O Mother Goose, above the heavens; let thy glory be above all the earth.

6 They have prepared a net for my steps; my soul is bowed down: they have digged a pit before me, into the midst whereof they are fallen themselves. Selah.

7 My heart is fixed, O Mother Goose, my heart is fixed: I will sing and give praise.

8 Awake up, my glory; awake, psaltery and harp: I myself will awake early.

9 I will praise thee, O Mother Goose, among the people: I will sing unto thee among the nations.

10 For thy mercy is great unto the heavens, and thy truth unto the clouds.

11 Be thou exalted, O Mother Goose, above the heavens: let thy glory be above all the earth.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#3695 Jan 24, 2013
Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
At this point in time that is true and it will remain true until evidence for your imaginary creature you call god is found and presented. I could dream up an endless number of imagined creatures and that is what they would be regardless of the fact that by chance one of the creatures I imagined actually exists. Only once we know it exists is it no longer an imaginary creature. God only exists in the minds of men - at this point in time.
Cute how you felt the need to add "at this point in time". Twice.

You're no atheist. You want to believe, but for some reason you can't.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#3696 Jan 24, 2013
Pat wrote:
Here is what you provided. Notice there are two definitions, a and b.
Atheist:
a : a disbelief in the existence of deity
b : the doctrine that there is no deity
I fit under the first supplied definition for I do not believe in god {SCREEEEEEECH!}
You need to read "a" again.

It doesn't say that you don't need to believe in God to be an atheist........

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#3697 Jan 24, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Didn't look very hard did ya......the link is from Wikipedia. It's right there on the top of my post. And what, no comment on the Time Magazine article?
There was no link to check the accuracy if your claim, just your words: "THIS IS FROM WIKI"

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#3699 Jan 24, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I have studied and know a good deal about Pluto, just because you choose to remain uneducated about our solar system doesn't mean everyone is. granted Pluto is a frozen world with temperatures in the -200 below zero range. But decaying radiation in it's core produces some heat, possible enough for simple cellular life. Lake Vostok may yield simple life forms. It has taken researches 20 years of off and on drilling to finally reach the lake buried under miles of ice. They drilled through 12,366 feet of solid ice to reach the lake. It has been sealed off for some 15 million years. What they find may be similar to the water buries under the ice on Europa or Satan's moon Enceladus. Possible on Pluto as well.
Now I HAVE studies Pluto, but how does one study something that is non-existent? Can I examine God from every angle, discover his location, perform tests on him/she/it, observe this thing in the natural realm? No I think not, studying that which is non-existent seems a task for imbeciles. It's theology the study of God? LOL
Give me a break, dude. Seriously.

Can you examine Pluto from every angle, discover it's location, perform tests on it, observe this thing in the natural realm? No I think not.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#3700 Jan 24, 2013
albtraum wrote:
We only ask that you prove your suppositions, we can prove reality. In real life there has never been evidence of supernatural occurance....
I came back from a near death experience, do I thank gawd....no. I thank the doctor and the nurse.
Face it, as technology and knowledge expand, miracles recede.
Right, I know. The atheist rules of debate. You can ask me to prove my suppositions, but I can't ask you to prove your suppositions......

I get it, I get it.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#3701 Jan 24, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
Most of us are open minded, unfortunately we butt heads on this one particular subject. Maybe politics too....I stay away from the political threads, they're totally insane.
THAT I will agree with you on. Totally insane. And also totally pointless.
Pat

East Granby, CT

#3703 Jan 24, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Cute how you felt the need to add "at this point in time". Twice.
You're no atheist. You want to believe, but for some reason you can't.
The theist lets their personal desires override their intellect to embrace unsupported beleifs, the honest atheist keeps an open mind and does not fall into that trap of self deception.
Pat

East Granby, CT

#3704 Jan 24, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You need to read "a" again.
It doesn't say that you don't need to believe in God to be an atheist........
It says a disbelief in the existence of deity. I do not beleive in the existence of a deity.

Aren't you embarrassed by defending your ignorance like this?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#3706 Jan 24, 2013
Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
The theist lets their personal desires override their intellect to embrace unsupported beleifs, the honest atheist keeps an open mind and does not fall into that trap of self deception.
You do not have an open mind. You need proof for anything before you entertain it about being real.

You'd make a terrible painter.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#3707 Jan 24, 2013
Pat wrote:
It says a disbelief in the existence of deity. I do not beleive in the existence of a deity.
Moron. That means you disbelieve in the existence of a deity.

Since you cannot KNOW there is no deity, you DISBELIEVE that there are any.
Anon

Cleveland, OH

#3708 Jan 24, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You do not have an open mind. You need proof for anything before you entertain it about being real.
You'd make a terrible painter.
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! Has that been demonstrated on this thread?
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#3710 Jan 24, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
There was no link to check the accuracy if your claim, just your words: "THIS IS FROM WIKI"
How this, better?

Demographics of atheism
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Part of a series on
Atheism

A study has shown atheism in the West to be particularly prevalent among scientists, a tendency already quite marked at the beginning of the 20th century, developing into a dominant one during the course of the century. In 1914, James H. Leuba found that 58% of 1,000 randomly selected U.S. natural scientists expressed "disbelief or doubt in the existence of God" (defined as a personal God which interacts directly with human beings). The same study, repeated in 1996, gave a similar percentage of 60.7%. Expressions of positive disbelief rose from 52% to 72%.[17](See also relationship between religion and science.) This survey is not without criticisms however.[18]
[edit]Europe and Russia
According to a 2005 Eurostat Eurobarometer poll, 52% of European Union citizens responded that "they believe there is a God", whereas 27% answered that "they believe there is some sort of spirit or life force" and 18% that "they do not believe there is a spirit, God, nor life force". Results were widely varied between different countries, with 95% of Maltese respondents stating that they believe in God, on the one end, and only 16% of Estonians stating the same on the other.[19]

Percentages of people in European countries who said in 2005 that they "believe there is a God"

Percentages of people in European countries with no belief in a spirit, god, or life force (Eurobarometer 2005)
Eurobarometer Poll 2005
Country Belief in a god Belief in a spirit
or life force Belief in neither a spirit,
god, nor life force
Malta 95% 3% 1%
Turkey 90% 2% 1%
Cyprus 90% 7% 2%
Romania 90% 8% 1%
Greece 81% 16% 3%
Portugal 91% 6% 3%
Poland 80% 15% 1%
Italy 74% 16% 6%
Ireland 73% 22% 4%
Croatia 67% 25% 7%
Slovakia 61% 26% 11%
Spain 59% 21% 18%
Austria 54% 34% 8%
Lithuania 49% 36% 12%
Switzerland 48% 39% 9%
Germany 47% 25% 25%
Luxembourg 44% 28% 22%
Hungary 44% 31% 19%
Belgium 43% 29% 27%
Finland 41% 41% 16%
Bulgaria 40% 40% 13%
Iceland 38% 48% 11%
United Kingdom 38% 40% 20%
Latvia 37% 49% 10%
Slovenia 37% 46% 16%
France 34% 27% 33%
Netherlands 34% 37% 27%
Norway 32% 47% 17%
Denmark 31% 49% 19%
Sweden 23% 53% 23%
Czech Republic 19% 50% 30%
Estonia 16% 54% 26%
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#3711 Jan 24, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Give me a break, dude. Seriously.
Can you examine Pluto from every angle, discover it's location, perform tests on it, observe this thing in the natural realm? No I think not.
You REALLY don't know very much about the world around you do you!!! Willful ignorance is a terrible trait. Of course I know the location of Pluto, my 5th grand granddaughter knows that. For a dwarf planet that is over 2 billion miles away, I know a lot about Pluto. Exactly because I can OBSERVE THIS THING IN THE NATURAL REALM, is the reason I have information about this "thing" The atmosphere, when the surface ice thaws, evaporates into nitrogen with some methane. This happens when the planet moves closer to the sun on its 345 year journey around the sun. For 20 years it is close enough to the sun as to have an atmosphere. There is wind during this period, and the air pressure is minimal. surface temperature in the coldest periods approaches -375 degrees. The gravity is 0.066 of the earth. A basketball player performing a 10 foot "dunk" on Earth, would be able to leap 150 feet on Pluto. The diameter of Pluto is 1,485 miles. It has a rocky core surrounded by a mantel of ice. Its surface is a coating of frost made up of nitrogen and methane.

So.......as you can see, with a little research you too can learn about the world you live in, and YES Pluto can be examined, its location discovered, and it can be observed in the natural realm. Hubble telescope is a wonderful tool and deep probes are on their way for a more detailed analysis of the planet. Study boy.....STUDY!!!!!!!

Now----it's your turn, do the same with God as I have done with Pluto!!!!!

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#3713 Jan 24, 2013
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."
Albert Einstein.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#3714 Jan 24, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."
Albert Einstein.
"I do not believe in the God of theology who rewards good and punishes evil" Albert Einstein.

"I cannot imagine God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation and is but a reflection of human frailties." Albert Einstein.

When asked if he believes in immortality his answer....."No I do not, one life is enough for me."

God is a useless label, its ill defined and it has no explanatory power. It doesn't fit into any model that describes anything. Its a non-answer and you can't demonstrate it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 min kent 683,511
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 11 min Mr Wiggley 15,180
Tribute Wife's DDD's! 36 min Orangestar4189 1
O.J. Simpson is about to be a free man once again. 36 min Mirrormirorwall 2
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 47 min Disappointed US W... 982,992
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 52 min David S Pimpkins 286,520
Moroccan Guys Have The Biggest Cocks! (Jun '13) 2 hr Mimi 31
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 3 hr Just Wondering 619,682
More from around the web