|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Judged:

Bible Verse Of The Day

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

— John 14:12-15 —

I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.

"If you love me, you will obey what I command."

God is always faithful. He is willing to give you what you need and bless you richly besides. But this is no something-for-nothing offer. The Lord demand righteous living from His followers. Those who live according to God's will can trust him for anything they ask in His son's name.

http://www.BarbaraLehrman.com

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2013

Judged:

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I don 't think there are multiple definitions of magic, unless you have a definition other than...."the power of influencing the course of events by using mysterious or supernatural forces."
Most of us have only ONE frame of reference. We conduct our lives under these conditions. We don't make major decisions based on anything other than what we know to be real, or at least I would hope not. Your right, the only way I can think of those events happening is through, magic. I have no other frame of reference. I guess I could say that stopping the sun in the sky was somehow possible, but in reality that would be so far fetched as to be completely unreasonable. Even if I granted that nothing is impossible, I would have to turn to science and see if at this moment in time such a feat was possible. Science would tell me that it is quite impossible, at this moment in time, to alter gravity on a cosmological scale.
Either something is possible or real, or it isn't. Can you think of another methodology besides science were we can determine beyond doubt whether something is possible or real?
We are said to be created in the image and likeness of God. We are told he interacts with people on a daily basis. Many of his traits are defined by the 10 commandments and the bible, why would I NOT humanize him? Once again it is the ONLY frame of reference I have.
Ok, so grant that nothing is impossible. You can then grant that God can do things we would consider impossible because science can't figure it out.

You used the sun stopping in the sky as an example. You then started looking for a scientific explanation to how that could naturally happen. If it did happen, it wasn't a natural occurrence so how could a natural study reveal anything?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2013

Judged:

albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I can live with that.
Do you agree that science tries to find the origins of man with/without supernatural help? Science does not push god out of the equasion, it merely searches for verifiable answers to questions.
Some Christians believe in Evolution, with the understanding that a god started the ball rolling, same with the Big Bang. As one teacher pointed out long ago, "The Bible says God created Adam and Eve, it doesn't say what they looked like."
As an atheist, I see no proof for a god....I don't believe. If proof comes along I'm willing to revise my opinion. That doesn't mean I'm agnostic, I don't believe there ever will be any proof. But then if the sun fails to appear tomorrow, I'll have to rethink that position too;0)
Can your mind be changed too?
I believe in creation through evolution.

I agree that the bible says God created Adam & Eve but it didn't say what they look like.

Perhaps Adam & Eve were simply the first Homo sapiens. Who's to say?

The bible is not a science book, not a biology book & not a history book. I think too many atheists complain that there's not enough info in the bible to seem it worthy or believable.

I believe that genesis roughly spells out what we now call evolution. If you cross reference them, you see the comparability of the two.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, so grant that nothing is impossible. You can then grant that God can do things we would consider impossible because science can't figure it out.
You used the sun stopping in the sky as an example. You then started looking for a scientific explanation to how that could naturally happen. If it did happen, it wasn't a natural occurrence so how could a natural study reveal anything?
By granting that nothing is impossible it opens up a huge hole were one can imagine a number of absurd possibilities. Or some not so absurd. Why is the God Zeus automatically ruler out as a powerful God who may have created all? It is written that Zeus was a very powerful God. "But the will of Zeus will always overpower the will of men." It seems the Homer's Iliad and the Odyssey have just as much validity as you God and holy book. One could say that the Fish Gods from Neptune created all there is. You would say, there is no documentation that these being exist, no holy book, no accounts. There is most likely just as much evidence for these beings as for Joe Smith and the golden plates, the foundation of the Mormon religion.

When you casually grant that nothing is impossible, and make this your stance, then suddenly all reason and logic get jettisoned, and the world become one big fairytale.

“Jesus is Love”

Hutchinson, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2013

Judged:

WesTheFumbDuck wrote:
<quoted text>
More assertions with nothing to back them up - you Christians are a dime a dozen.
It's worth the dime it takes to see how angry you get about our God's existence.

“Jesus is Love”

Hutchinson, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2013

Judged:

albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't see where I called it a good book, though some do, I am not one of them.
Just pointing out your hateful hypocrisy in not following the rules you urge others to obey.
Actually, you're probably the best argument against xtianity since Rev. Jim Jones, David Koresh and Fred Phelps. Congrats!
You're still going to Hell.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2013

Judged:

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>By granting that nothing is impossible it opens up a huge hole were one can imagine a number of absurd possibilities. Or some not so absurd. Why is the God Zeus automatically ruler out as a powerful God who may have created all? It is written that Zeus was a very powerful God. "But the will of Zeus will always overpower the will of men." It seems the Homer's Iliad and the Odyssey have just as much validity as you God and holy book. One could say that the Fish Gods from Neptune created all there is. You would say, there is no documentation that these being exist, no holy book, no accounts. There is most likely just as much evidence for these beings as for Joe Smith and the golden plates, the foundation of the Mormon religion.
When you casually grant that nothing is impossible, and make this your stance, then suddenly all reason and logic get jettisoned, and the world become one big fairytale.
You are confusing the Iliad & Odyssey (poems written by one man) with the Bible (many books written over thousands of years by multiple authors).

You can't compare them. And you can't compare Zeus & God.

Zeus was born, God wasn't.
Zeus had parents, God didn't.
Zeus had many limits, God doesn't.

People stopped believing in Zeus when they climbed to the top of the mountain & found no Olympus...
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You are confusing the Iliad & Odyssey (poems written by one man) with the Bible (many books written over thousands of years by multiple authors).
You can't compare them. And you can't compare Zeus & God.
Zeus was born, God wasn't.
Zeus had parents, God didn't.
Zeus had many limits, God doesn't.
People stopped believing in Zeus when they climbed to the top of the mountain & found no Olympus...
"Zeus was born, God wasn't.........How do you know for certain?

Zeus has parents, God didn't.........How do you absolutely know?

Zeus had limits, God doesn't........How do you know for certain?

Many people stopped believing in God when they saw no evidence. Do you know how many priests and ministers have given up their belief because as hard as they prayed, as long as they searched for God, they found absolutely nothing. Just recently a new group of former clergy have formed a society called The Clergy Project. 185 members strong more are joining everyday.

How about my Fish God from Neptune, why do you automatically discount them? Why do you NOT belief in L Ron Hubbards theory, that we are prisoners from another planet and the earth is our prison?

Why is it NOT possible that we are the creations of an advanced Alien race, a simple experiment. We are to them, as small pets are to us. They simply created our planet and solar system as a playground for us. They sit back and see how we will evolve. Certainly you would agree that this is a valid scenario.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2013

Just Results wrote:
<quoted text>
You're still going to Hell.
Did you know the God you worship murders little babies? Just wondering!!!!
Tony

Huntington Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

Bible Verse Of The Day

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

— Ephesians 3:20-21 —

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.

Did you catch that? Jesus' plan is to do far more than we can imagine. He does it by working within us. He wants to teach us about his character and reveal his heart for us. He wants to whisper in our ears, "Hope is here." And in the process he changes more than our messes, and our problems — he changes us!

http://www.BarbaraLehrman.com

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

blacklagoon wrote:
"Zeus was born, God wasn't.........How do you know for certain?
Zeus has parents, God didn't.........How do you absolutely know?
Zeus had limits, God doesn't........How do you know for certain?
I know those for certain because that is what has been written.
Many people stopped believing in God when they saw no evidence. Do you know how many priests and ministers have given up their belief because as hard as they prayed, as long as they searched for God, they found absolutely nothing. Just recently a new group of former clergy have formed a society called The Clergy Project. 185 members strong more are joining everyday.
LOL, they started in March,'11. Now they have 185 members? At that rate, it'll take 1.8 million years to convert the world. Assuming that no new people convert to Christianity, which they do everyday....
How about my Fish God from Neptune, why do you automatically discount them? Why do you NOT belief in L Ron Hubbards theory, that we are prisoners from another planet and the earth is our prison?
Is that what he thinks?!?

HAHAHAHA!!
Why is it NOT possible that we are the creations of an advanced Alien race, a simple experiment. We are to them, as small pets are to us. They simply created our planet and solar system as a playground for us. They sit back and see how we will evolve. Certainly you would agree that this is a valid scenario.
OK, wait a sec. Are you gonna dispute me on religion and use evolution as a reason then turn around and say we're all creations of aliens?
Pick a side, then run with it....

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe in creation through evolution.
I agree that the bible says God created Adam & Eve but it didn't say what they look like.
Perhaps Adam & Eve were simply the first Homo sapiens. Who's to say?
The bible is not a science book, not a biology book & not a history book. I think too many atheists complain that there's not enough info in the bible to seem it worthy or believable.
I believe that genesis roughly spells out what we now call evolution. If you cross reference them, you see the comparability of the two.
I've not seen anything to compare, but if this planet was created by a deity through the process of evolution then it would be understandable why dinosaurs, ice ages, etc. were never mentioned. The bible starts with the first upright(?) male and female. I'm not even sure of that as the bible does not state whether or not their knuckles still dragged the ground.

Paintings are the vision of the particular artist, how else would we get a blondish, blue eyed hebrew? The once I see of Adam and Eve are fair skinned people also, let's not forget the flowing white bearded god. Whoever said that "man created god in his image" was correct in this respect.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>

LOL, they started in March,'11. Now they have 185 members? At that rate, it'll take 1.8 million years to convert the world. Assuming that no new people convert to Christianity, which they do everyday....
<quoted text>

It won't take nearly 1.8 million years, people DO convert to Christianity but not at the rate you think. The decline in religion has several branches of theism concerned:

http://ncronline.org/books/2012/09/more-take-...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secularization

http://www.tomorrowsworld.org/magazines/2012/...
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I know those for certain because that is what has been written.
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Is that what he thinks?!?
HAHAHAHA!!
<quoted text>
OK, wait a sec. Are you gonna dispute me on religion and use evolution as a reason then turn around and say we're all creations of aliens?
You know for CERTAIN? I thought we were done with absolutes. You know for CERTAIN from a book who's authorship is unknown. A book for which there are NO original copies. A book that has undergone multiple translations and adaptions. We all know what happens when one person tells an involved story, and then the story is passed on to person after person. By the time the story gets back to the originator it seldom resembles the same story. People enhance the story, through in some highlights that weren't in the original. How many times has your holy book be translated? A book written by bronze age goat herders is so obvious in the way the book treats women. I often wonder why the thesis can see the undeniable human traits that make up most of the contents of this book. Revenge, murder, genocide, rape, slavery, the killing of babies, you really want to hang your hat on this as you're being CERTAIN?

The numbers of those who have turned away from God is not the important issue. Here are people who have devoted most of their lives to the worship and adoration of your God. Have tried to convert others to their belief, have believed in this God with al of their heart, yet they have eventually discovered their error. What do you imagine could effect such a drastic change in a deeply personal belief? That is the important issue here, not the numbers.

Yes, that is what scientology is based on.

I never said we were created by Aliens, but why is that so far fetched for you? We are talking about anything being possible, aren't we? I believe what thousands of hard working, extremely intelligent and dedicated scientists reveal to us. That evolution is simply a fact. Sticking one head in the sand and proclaiming that the evidence is no there or is highly inaccurate doesn't change the FACT that evolution is the very best answer that science has as to how we evolved. NOT HOW WE CAME TO BE, but how our species changed over many generations.
Tony

Huntington Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

Be decent!

Link...

http://youtu.be/si55h9-MP_4

Salute,

Tony V.
Tony

Huntington Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Judged:

The commandments, "Do not commit adultery," "Do not murder," "Do not steal," "Do not covet," and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed up in this one rule: "Love your neighbor as yourself."

Romans 13:9

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Judged:

albtraum wrote:
I've not seen anything to compare, but if this planet was created by a deity through the process of evolution then it would be understandable why dinosaurs, ice ages, etc. were never mentioned. The bible starts with the first upright(?) male and female. I'm not even sure of that as the bible does not state whether or not their knuckles still dragged the ground.
You're talking about Genesis, which is not a book about the earth or a book of science. It's a generational book, starting with Adam.
Paintings are the vision of the particular artist, how else would we get a blondish, blue eyed hebrew? The once I see of Adam and Eve are fair skinned people also, let's not forget the flowing white bearded god. Whoever said that "man created god in his image" was correct in this respect.
LOL, that's silly.

You think a painting is a real depiction?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Judged:

albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
It won't take nearly 1.8 million years, people DO convert to Christianity but not at the rate you think. The decline in religion has several branches of theism concerned:
http://ncronline.org/books/2012/09/more-take-...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secularization
http://www.tomorrowsworld.org/magazines/2012/...
Christianity is rising faster than the worlds population is....

"The increase in the Christian population was at a slightly higher rate than that of the world population, 1.3 percent per year, when the total world population increased by 1.2 percent per year. "

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_popu...
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
"The increase in the Christian population was at a slightly higher rate than that of the world population, 1.3 percent per year, when the total world population increased by 1.2 percent per year. "
Home > Spiritual Warfare > The Religion Of The Future? Christianity On The Decline In America
The Religion Of The Future? Christianity On The Decline In America
Monday, March 09, 2009 Posted by Shattered Paradigm
The new American Religious Identification Survey shows that most religions in the United States are losing members rapidly. According to the survey, the percentage of Americans who call themselves Christians has dropped more than 11% since 1990. The survey reports that Catholics, Baptists and other mainline Protestants have seen large drops in numbers.

The number of Americans who claim no religion at all is now 15%, which is up from 8% in 1990. Islam, Wicca and eastern religions such as Hinduism and Buddhism also show large gains.

But even those who still call themselves Christians do not necessarily hold to traditional Christian beliefs any longer. Two other recent surveys show that the majority of American Christians believe that accepting Jesus Christ as savior is NOT the only way to eternal life.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
How Will The Shocking Decline Of Christianity In America Affect The Future Of This Nation?
By Michael, on January 18th, 2012
Is Christianity in decline in America? When you examine the cold, hard numbers it is simply not possible to come to any other conclusion. Over the past few decades, the percentage of Christians in America has been steadily declining. This has especially been true among young people. As you will see later in this article, there has been a mass exodus of teens and young adults out of U.S. churches. In addition, what “Christianity” means to American Christians today is often far different from what “Christianity” meant to their parents and their grandparents. Millions upon millions of Christians in the United States simply do not believe many of the fundamental principles of the Christian faith any longer. Without a doubt, America is becoming a less “Christian” nation. This has staggering implications for the future of this country. The United States was founded primarily by Christians that were seeking to escape religious persecution. For those early settlers, the Christian faith was the very center of their lives, and it deeply affected the laws that they made and the governmental structures that they established. So what is the future of America going to look like if we totally reject the principles that this nation was founded on?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••