God is REAL - Miracles Happen!
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#3408 Jan 6, 2013
lanturnsandlightbulbs wrote:
there is a science behind getting prayers answered..
involving not even fasting or prayer..
nor visualization ..
but controlling what is around you..
and who is around you..
and monitoring what you and other people are saying..
to steer the will of god into the direction of your desire..
that will make things happen for you based on the pride of god..
willing them into existence..
Here's a suggestion, try and condense your thoughts into three or four posts rather than hundreds of one liners. Also, we have no idea who you are responding to, that would help with the dialog.

There is ZERO science behead prayers, don't be stupid. MIRACLE------"A surprise and welcomed event that is NOT explicable by natural or SCIENTIFIC LAWS and is therefore considered to be the work of a divide agency."

I can very well control most of whats around me without a belief in a mythical being. I can make things happen based on my own pride, I don't need a magical being to do that for me.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#3409 Jan 6, 2013
There is zero science BEHIND prayers.....Sorry, I type way to fast!!!!
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#3410 Jan 6, 2013
lanturnsandlightbulbs wrote:
common sense and logic do not dictate that the god of the bible was a myth because if it did everyone would be an atheist..
Everyone SHOULD be an Atheist, and yes common sense and logic DO tell those of us not brainwashed by religion that most of the events and people in the bible are myths. It also points very strongly at the contents of the bible being written by men. Specifically, Bronze age goat herders of that period.
andet1987

Chicago, IL

#3411 Jan 6, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Everyone SHOULD be an Atheist, and yes common sense and logic DO tell those of us not brainwashed by religion that most of the events and people in the bible are myths. It also points very strongly at the contents of the bible being written by men. Specifically, Bronze age goat herders of that period.
what do you know about the Bible ? all you read is Playgirl Magazine.

http://www.popcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2...

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#3412 Jan 6, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Everyone SHOULD be an Atheist,
You're a liberal, huh?

There's no good way unless its your way, right?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#3413 Jan 6, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
There is zero science BEHIND prayers.....Sorry, I type way to fast!!!!
And think too fast.

Google science of prayer, or something to that effect, you'll get about 15 million hits....

And don't do the fundie thing of: "science proves prayer."

And don't do the athitard thing of "science disproves prayer."

If you want an honest answer, you ask an honest question.....

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#3414 Jan 6, 2013
Me: I believe in God
Good Atheist: Really? that's interesting. I don't personally but I'd love to sit down with you and discuss the issue sometime

Me: I belive in God
blacklagoon: WHAT!!!?!? You belive in God?....hahahahaha I don't believe in God I have absolute faith in science because it's completley accurate and irrefutable!!!

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#3415 Jan 6, 2013
Bad Athiest: A self-involved, egotistical jackass who does not believe in a supreme being not because what they have read or studied but usually because they hate religion or religious people. They usually go out of there way to make religious people feel bad and accuse them of being close-minded while they, themselves, will not listen to any other arguments but there own. They are impossible to try to reason with because they are usually self-centered, condescending,unscientific, and downright immature. Their arguments are usually full of anti-religious cliches and therefore easy to break apart.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#3416 Jan 6, 2013
lanturnsandlightbulbs wrote:
so you are saying God would be cooler if he created a perfect world.. and nobody went to hell.. right?? and never got angry at anyone..
and everyone just had random orgies all day forever..
and feelings of pleasure infinitely of the highest amount and nobody ever died??
And therefore I would never exist because my parents would never exist..
because Adam and Eve would be the only humans.. because it would not be in their favor to have kids in the first place since they are already sufficiently happy??
You're wrong on so many points here, I don't know were to start.

1.) "God would be cooler if he created a perfect world."..........Why would anyone assume that a being who is capable of creating the complexity of humans and the immeasurable cosmos, trillions upon trillions of galaxies, NOT be perfect? Here's where logic raises its adorable head. if your God is IMPERFECT, capable of making mistakes, the how can you believe anything about what you say he has created.

2.) "Nobody went to hell."..........There is ZERO evidence (yeah I know, scary word) that anything like hell exists.

3.) "And everyone just had random orgies all day forever."..........So it is your contention that the only things that prevents us from having random orgies is a belief in God? Really? So that MUST mean that anyone without a belief in a higher power is involved in random orgies all day forever? Are you sure you really want to imply something that stupid and shallow?

4.) Adam and Eve are myths, there is ZERO evidence that mankind sprang from two people, especially since the creation of the male came about by a mythical being scooping up some dirt and blowing on it. And we all know about yanking out one of his ribs to magically produce a female.

5.) "It would NOT be in their favor to have kids in the first place since they are sufficiently happy." So by your statement the only reason people have children is because they are UNHAPPY!!!! Can't you for one moment see how stupid and senseless your statement is?
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#3417 Jan 6, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Bad Athiest: A self-involved, egotistical jackass who does not believe in a supreme being not because what they have read or studied but usually because they hate religion or religious people. They usually go out of there way to make religious people feel bad and accuse them of being close-minded while they, themselves, will not listen to any other arguments but there own. They are impossible to try to reason with because they are usually self-centered, condescending,unscientific, and downright immature. Their arguments are usually full of anti-religious cliches and therefore easy to break apart.
You and I have gone round and round on this site for sometime now. Lots of insults hurled around, obvious frustrate on both of our parts. I do have a tendency to think to often in terms of absolutes. I really don't like dealing in absolutes, so I will give you this. I don't absolutely KNOW that God does not exist. He/she/it/ may very well exists somewhere at sometime. My position however is that until there is solid empirical evidence that such a being exists, I will continue to LACK a belief in such a being.

Having said that, I strongly believe that religion in general is dangerous. You have heard my reasoning many times, but I'll offer up these examples and see if we can't have a dialog. These are some of the reasons I believe religion to be a danger to our society.

1.) If organized Religion is anything it's divisive. It pigeon holes groups of people who hold opposing religious beliefs, and those who have no beliefs. It makes it almost impossible for people with different beliefs coexists in a meaningful manner. I can't possible be friends with someone that tells me that because I don't believe as they do, that I deserve to be tortured FOREVER.

2.) When you assume that Goddidit, then the search for the answer is over. Creationists turn their backs on well established scientific facts concerning evolution. "We, and everything living things were created by God." Which means look no further into the origin of our species, the journey is over before it begins. "I'm against religion because it teaches us to be content with not understanding the world around us."

Thats all I have for now!!!!

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

#3419 Jan 6, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you serious?
Never seen a pissed off dog?
A scared cat?
A jealous horse?
You need to get out more.
You never studied, did you?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#3422 Jan 6, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>You and I have gone round and round on this site for sometime now. Lots of insults hurled around, obvious frustrate on both of our parts. I do have a tendency to think to often in terms of absolutes. I really don't like dealing in absolutes, so I will give you this. I don't absolutely KNOW that God does not exist. He/she/it/ may very well exists somewhere at sometime. My position however is that until there is solid empirical evidence that such a being exists, I will continue to LACK a belief in such a being.
Having said that, I strongly believe that religion in general is dangerous. You have heard my reasoning many times, but I'll offer up these examples and see if we can't have a dialog. These are some of the reasons I believe religion to be a danger to our society.
1.) If organized Religion is anything it's divisive. It pigeon holes groups of people who hold opposing religious beliefs, and those who have no beliefs. It makes it almost impossible for people with different beliefs coexists in a meaningful manner. I can't possible be friends with someone that tells me that because I don't believe as they do, that I deserve to be tortured FOREVER.
2.) When you assume that Goddidit, then the search for the answer is over. Creationists turn their backs on well established scientific facts concerning evolution. "We, and everything living things were created by God." Which means look no further into the origin of our species, the journey is over before it begins. "I'm against religion because it teaches us to be content with not understanding the world around us."
Thats all I have for now!!!!
Wow. You CAN post a peaceful post.

You said "I don't absolutely KNOW that God does not exist." You aren't an atheist, you're agnostic. Maybe an agnostic atheist. It's good that you've opened up at least that much to admit there's a possibility of God - whether you believe it or not.

1. Organized religion is divisive by nature. There are many different religions that share different views & rules, even within Christianity. What we need to do is learn to get along with each other, regardless of what our personal views are.

2. I disagree. I think that when you believe "Goddidit", it leaves you wide open to search for the answer of HOW "Goddidit". There are many religious scientists that are on the same path to knowledge that non-religious scientists are.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#3423 Jan 6, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
You never studied, did you?
No, never...

'_'
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#3424 Jan 6, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow. You CAN post a peaceful post.
You said "I don't absolutely KNOW that God does not exist." You aren't an atheist, you're agnostic. Maybe an agnostic atheist. It's good that you've opened up at least that much to admit there's a possibility of God - whether you believe it or not.
1. Organized religion is divisive by nature. There are many different religions that share different views & rules, even within Christianity. What we need to do is learn to get along with each other, regardless of what our personal views are.
2. I disagree. I think that when you believe "Goddidit", it leaves you wide open to search for the answer of HOW "Goddidit". There are many religious scientists that are on the same path to knowledge that non-religious scientists are.
So you do agree that religion is divisive, good. And just who do you propose that "we all get alone with each other?" thats like asking for world peace. Mankind has been at war with each other since the dawn of time, I doubt we'll see world peace in our time. I also doubt that the divisiveness that religions cause will ever be conquered. It's easy to say, "lets learn to get along" but religious differences will always exist. The individual beliefs are too deep seated and dogmatic.

When you say Goddidit, there is no HOW Goddidit. The answer is most always through magic. Is there a detailed explanation as to how God created stars and planets? Is there an explanation as to how mankind has evolved? If you are aware of some other explanation beside God saying "Let there be light" and there was, then share it, please. If you have another explanation beside God breathing on some dirt and a man appeared, please, share it.

A good scientist can believe in God and still do his research, up to a point. As soon as he or she begins to insert God as the cause then his value as an objective scientist become worthless.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#3425 Jan 7, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
So you do agree that religion is divisive, good. And just who do you propose that "we all get alone with each other?" thats like asking for world peace. Mankind has been at war with each other since the dawn of time, I doubt we'll see world peace in our time. I also doubt that the divisiveness that religions cause will ever be conquered. It's easy to say, "lets learn to get along" but religious differences will always exist. The individual beliefs are too deep seated and dogmatic.
Peace starts right here, with you & I. Then we try to fan it out from there. It isn't hard to be peaceful, it's a matter of learning & using patience.
When you say Goddidit, there is no HOW Goddidit. The answer is most always through magic.
Why? Why do you think it always would have to revert to magic?
Is there a detailed explanation as to how God created stars and planets? Is there an explanation as to how mankind has evolved?
No. That's why I said its interesting to learn HOW God did it.

I don't know how He did. And I'm not smart enough to know. I rely on others to figure that out. So do you.
If you are aware of some other explanation beside God saying "Let there be light" and there was, then share it, please. If you have another explanation beside God breathing on some dirt and a man appeared, please, share it.
A good scientist can believe in God and still do his research, up to a point. As soon as he or she begins to insert God as the cause then his value as an objective scientist become worthless.
I disagree.

The question isn't hue did God breathe life into the first human, the question is why was it written as such? What does it mean?

What does "let there be light" mean and how did God make the first stars?

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

#3426 Jan 7, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Peace starts right here, with you & I. Then we try to fan it out from there. It isn't hard to be peaceful, it's a matter of learning & using patience.
<quoted text>
Why? Why do you think it always would have to revert to magic?
<quoted text>
No. That's why I said its interesting to learn HOW God did it.
I don't know how He did. And I'm not smart enough to know. I rely on others to figure that out. So do you.
<quoted text>
I disagree.
The question isn't hue did God breathe life into the first human, the question is why was it written as such? What does it mean?
What does "let there be light" mean and how did God make the first stars?
Fan it out, yes. Ghandi is an excellent example, he succeeded in freeing India from British rule with peace.....a lot of people lost their lives to obtain this peace. Ghandi had the learning and patience to see it through....they shot him.

Yes, magic. The rest of you post is an example of that. You say that a deity breathed into an inanimate object and it came to life. You don't seem to be interested in how man came to be or how light and stars (like our own sun) came to be, is this part of Intelligent Design mode of thought or just acceptance of what the bible says? I'm not sure what you mean.

We all rely on those who are experts in their field, I tend to rely on those who can display the hows, whys and wherefores for all to see (empirical evidence) and let the talkers talk all they wish....the latter I don't take too seriously.

Can you explain?
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#3427 Jan 7, 2013
andet1987 wrote:
<quoted text>
what do you know about the Bible ? all you read is Playgirl Magazine.
http://www.popcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2...
I probably know more about your holy book than you. Did you know that the God inspired bible has a law that requires a rape victim to marry her rapists, never with the possibility of divorce? Nice law eh!!!
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#3428 Jan 7, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
It's you that's really this stupid and I'm getting tired of your arrogant stupidity.
What happens when a son is like his father?
Do you say "That boy is just like his dad."
OR
"That dad is just like his boy"
???
No, we say the father and son are alike. They SHARE the same attributes. You can't categorize them separately if they are both ALIKE.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#3429 Jan 7, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
And think too fast.
Google science of prayer, or something to that effect, you'll get about 15 million hits....
And don't do the fundie thing of: "science proves prayer."
And don't do the athitard thing of "science disproves prayer."
If you want an honest answer, you ask an honest question.....
Yes, I did some research on the science of prayer and found nothing to support the fact that a god being answers prayers. I did find that prayer is very much akin to mediation and can be used for a calming effect and a positive attitude. So mediation has the exact same benefits as praying. One of the proponents for answered prayers is a bit biased. Tanya Marie Luhrmann is the author of a book called "When God Talks Back."

All indications are that the religious who believe in the power of prayer has actually trained their imaginations to accept a God on the other end of the prayer line. In her conversation with Michael Sherman, she readily admits that science is unable to effectively study the effects of prayer. Sherman comments that the scientific evidence simply does not support then efficacy of prayer.

So it seems that prayer is simply another way of producing a positive and comforting mindset much like various forms of meditation. Since there is absolutely no evidence that a divine agent is receiving our requests, why not skip the extra baggage and simply meditate.
crzzzd

Ellwood City, PA

#3430 Jan 7, 2013
youtube.com/watch...
win a few,lose a few God is Dead,,????

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 3 min lightbeamrider 124,368
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 6 min RiccardoFire 8,249
Gay/Bi men in Leeds (Jul '16) 7 min Treg88 7
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 42 min another viewer 982,475
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr Here For Now 619,480
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr kent 682,157
Perforated Aluminum Plates Company 4 hr kingpanel 1
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 15 hr onemale 286,505
More from around the web