Police Don't Need Warrants In Emergencies

Full story: Kutv.com

The Supreme Court reaffirmed Monday that police can enter homes in emergencies without knocking or announcing their presence.

Comments (Page 5)

Showing posts 81 - 86 of86
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
aiki_mcr

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2006

Dennisf wrote:
<quoted text>(...good stuff about probable cause snipped...)
Okay, I was given to understand that if a cop had a reasonable suspicion that a crime was in progress that an implied "probable cause warrant" was considered to be in effect. This would include obvious stuff like hearing gunshots from a house, but could extend to things like a person having a history of drug sales hanging out on a street corner in a neighborhood known to be a hangout for dealers.

If I understood that idea, the biggest problem with it is that it's a bit vague and some cops (not all!) like to push the envelope as far as they can take it.

That seems like it might be consistent with your (obviously superior) understanding of the subject, but I'm not sure.
Dennisf

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2006

aiki_mcr wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, I was given to understand that if a cop had a reasonable suspicion that a crime was in progress that an implied "probable cause warrant" was considered to be in effect. This would include obvious stuff like hearing gunshots from a house, but could extend to things like a person having a history of drug sales hanging out on a street corner in a neighborhood known to be a hangout for dealers.
If I understood that idea, the biggest problem with it is that it's a bit vague and some cops (not all!) like to push the envelope as far as they can take it.
That seems like it might be consistent with your (obviously superior) understanding of the subject, but I'm not sure.
It's a very complicated issue. Most of all criminal cases that go to court has any search done by the police strongly attacked by the defense. A search warrant may be invalid because it didn't contain sufficient PC. An officer must be in a place he or she has the legal right to be when seizing contraband in plain view. In a consent search, the consent must be free and voluntary. The officer must be very careful in how consent is obtained. It's very easily argued as "forced" consent. Many officers standing around a suspect that is giving consent could be ruled as forced. In this case, police responding to a crime in progress, is pretty clear cut. Somebody is beating a person almost to death inside a house. It's pretty clear that police must enter, and I mean now, to help this person. Sometimes common sense must rule, and in this case it does. This was really a "slam dunk", that's why it went 9-0. I think Roberts likes the 9-0 score. He recently spoke at a graduation and stated the he likes a "united court". That may have been a reason that the court heard this case, because he knew it would go 9-0. Many judges can't get a firm understanding of the rules. Only search, seizure and constitutional experts really understand it. The court is right on target in this case.
Dennisf

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2006

Reasonable suspicion is less than probable cause. Police need at least a reasonable suspicion to stop someone to investigate a crime. I don't mean to just chat with someone, I mean forcibly stop. Look at Terry v. Ohio, the "stop and frisk" law. A ole-timer big city detective saw a guy walking around the outside of a liquor store and looking around and inside like he was getting ready to rob it. The detective saw a buldge in the mans pocket. He stopped the man, felt the outside of his pocket, and felt a pistol. He arrested the man on a weapons charge. Good job! He stopped the robbery and may have saved a life. He had suspicion to stop, but the PC to search came when he felt the pistol. This may help in understanding what PC is v. reasonable suspicion.
metoo

Salisbury, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2006

http://www.comcast.net/news/national/index.js...
Dennisf wrote:
Reasonable suspicion is less than probable cause. Police need at least a reasonable suspicion to stop someone to investigate a crime. I don't mean to just chat with someone, I mean forcibly stop. Look at Terry v. Ohio, the "stop and frisk" law. A ole-timer big city detective saw a guy walking around the outside of a liquor store and looking around and inside like he was getting ready to rob it. The detective saw a buldge in the mans pocket. He stopped the man, felt the outside of his pocket, and felt a pistol. He arrested the man on a weapons charge. Good job! He stopped the robbery and may have saved a life. He had suspicion to stop, but the PC to search came when he felt the pistol. This may help in understanding what PC is v. reasonable suspicion.
Dennisf

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2006

metoo wrote:
http://www.comcast.net/news/na tional/index.jsp?cat=DOMESTIC &fn=/2006/05/29/402227.htm l
<quoted text>
This is the police stop standard used by all criminal courts in the United States. This is the case. I know you can't understand it, I know you can't help it. Sorry.
Jaimie

Madison, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Police do not need a warrent.

All they need is "OWNER" consent. Just because you rent and mortgage does not mean you own property and went over the border and made it home safe.

Just because a apartment owner has rights, they ar ento owner either, until all papers are paid and interest to a zero balance. BANK owned but who owns bank.

Overrides warrents all the time. Refused to leave when owner said behavior is illegal and not permitted on thier land.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 81 - 86 of86
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

617 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 min lightbeamrider 216,621
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 2 min KiMare 89,478
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min Joy 679,680
Girls snapchat names?(dirty) 3 min lewy1221 224
3 Word Game (Feb '12) 4 min Velvet MJK 3,984
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 4 min Sheilaa 109,489
The Word Association Game (Apr '11) 6 min Velvet MJK 435
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 6 min Michael 511,901
•••
•••
•••