Minneapolis Bridge Collapse

Minneapolis Bridge Collapse

There are 275 comments on the KNX-AM Los Angeles story from Aug 2, 2007, titled Minneapolis Bridge Collapse. In it, KNX-AM Los Angeles reports that:

The eight-lane Interstate 35W bridge, a major Minneapolis artery that carries more than 100,000 vehicles a day, was in the midst of being repaired and two lanes in each direction were closed when the bridge ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KNX-AM Los Angeles.

First Prev
of 14
Next Last

“It's 420 here.”

Since: Jun 07

cold comfort farm

#1 Aug 2, 2007
Act of God? Act of al Qaeda? Act of Bush/Cheney?

“youbeateverythin g youknowthat ”

Since: Apr 07

Buffalo, NY

#2 Aug 2, 2007
too droll to troll wrote:
Nawww, Act of Bad Bridge..
Disgusted Veteran

United States

#4 Aug 2, 2007
Guess where all the money for maintaining our infrastructure went. We, our children, great grand children and beyond will be working for the common good with little income left to support themselves. Time to write a realistic budget and limit government freedom to squander our assets.
p75hh39j

Warren, OH

#5 Aug 2, 2007
Disgusted Veteran wrote:
Guess where all the money for maintaining our infrastructure went. We, our children, great grand children and beyond will be working for the common good with little income left to support themselves. Time to write a realistic budget and limit government freedom to squander our assets.
No doubt about that.Estimated 6 trillion dollars over the next 15 years to repair our infrastructure.Last week it was a steam pipe in New York.Now a freeway bridge.I expect to be seeing a lot of this kind of thing,and not much being done about it because people don't want to pay taxes,and they sure won't volunteer to repair it themselves.Add a war that was supposed to pay for itself in a few months but never will,that just keeps bleeding more revenue than the government can bring in,with no end in sight,and voters who only care about "moral values" and can't be bothered with pragmatics,it's a recipe for severe decline.
Observer

AOL

#6 Aug 2, 2007
While I agree that there is plenty of blame to go around on infrastructure failures, I take exception to the notion that Americans don't wish to pay taxes to fix the problems. The reality is that people generally look at their "favorite tax to hate" and do not look at the big taxation picture. Friends, if you look at the totality of our tax responsibilities, you would be shocked. The average American pays approximately 50% of their income to taxes to local, state, and federal government. We pay income, social security, real estate, energy taxes, sales taxes, license taxes, fees for fishing, driving, signs, businesses, etc etc etc.

The problem is not how much tax we pay but what our politicians are spending those dollars on. Yes, I will agree that spending on Iraq is a waste but so are the thousands of Federal and State Social Wealth Re-Distribution Schemes that have failed miserably over the past 4 decades since Lyndon Johnson declared a Federal War on Poverty. We have spend 4 trillion dollars on these programs and have not even dented the overall problem at all. Now that is tax waste without question!!!!!

We don't need higher taxes. We need fiscal responsibility. Fiscal prioritizing. And a realistic attitude toward spending tax revenues. Right now, more Americans collect benefits from the State and Federal governments than the Americans who pay into the system. How long do you think that will work? Do the math......
yes i am here

Calera, AL

#8 Aug 2, 2007
Disgusted Veteran wrote:
like some stupid war for oil in Iraq perhaps???
yes i am here

Calera, AL

#9 Aug 2, 2007
Observer wrote:
While I agree that there is plenty of blame to go around on infrastructure failures, I take exception to the notion that Americans don't wish to pay taxes to fix the problems. The reality is that people generally look at their "favorite tax to hate" and do not look at the big taxation picture. Friends, if you look at the totality of our tax responsibilities, you would be shocked. The average American pays approximately 50% of their income to taxes to local, state, and federal government. We pay income, social security, real estate, energy taxes, sales taxes, license taxes, fees for fishing, driving, signs, businesses, etc etc etc.
The problem is not how much tax we pay but what our politicians are spending those dollars on. Yes, I will agree that spending on Iraq is a waste but so are the thousands of Federal and State Social Wealth Re-Distribution Schemes that have failed miserably over the past 4 decades since Lyndon Johnson declared a Federal War on Poverty. We have spend 4 trillion dollars on these programs and have not even dented the overall problem at all. Now that is tax waste without question!!!!!
We don't need higher taxes. We need fiscal responsibility. Fiscal prioritizing. And a realistic attitude toward spending tax revenues. Right now, more Americans collect benefits from the State and Federal governments than the Americans who pay into the system. How long do you think that will work? Do the math......
care to discuss the BILLIONS of tax credits GIVEN TO COMPANIES TO OUTSOURCE UNSKILLED LABOR TO MEXICO INDIA CHINA AND MALAYSIA?????
lynn

United States

#14 Aug 2, 2007
maybe is was an act of terra, wasn't this the second bridge collapse in the last few days? i seem to remember a temporary bridge fell somewhere a few days ago.
too droll to troll wrote:
Observer

AOL

#15 Aug 2, 2007
yes i am here wrote:
<quoted text>care to discuss the BILLIONS of tax credits GIVEN TO COMPANIES TO OUTSOURCE UNSKILLED LABOR TO MEXICO INDIA CHINA AND MALAYSIA?????

Sure. Let's discuss shipping our labor overseas but on a separate thread. This thread is about using taxation revenues for funding governmental waste as opposed to spending those revenues on infrastructure right here in the US. The gentlemen stated that he felt Americans weren't paying fair taxes or enough taxes and I was simply disputing that assertion by pointing out that most working Americans pay at least 50% of their income to taxation. Some even more than that..........
Bob

Elk Grove Village, IL

#16 Aug 2, 2007
It's interesting to read about the history and problems with the geology and errosion of bedrock of that portion of the river.

http://www.mvp.usace.army.mil/history/enginee...
p75hh39j

Warren, OH

#17 Aug 2, 2007
Observer wrote:
<quoted text>.......
Sure. Let's discuss shipping our labor overseas but on a separate thread. This thread is about using taxation revenues for funding governmental waste as opposed to spending those revenues on infrastructure right here in the US. The gentlemen stated that he felt Americans weren't paying fair taxes or enough taxes and I was simply disputing that assertion by pointing out that most working Americans pay at least 50% of their income to taxation. Some even more than that..........
No,you just tried to blame old people and poor people for the shortfall in revenue.Funny,every Democratic president since Kennedy has had greater revenue growth than spending growth,and every Republican has had greater spending growth than revenue growth,with Bush being by far the worst.The blame sits squarely where I put it.Greedy crybabies who want everything without paying for it,and Republican politicians who want to take apart Social Security,and of course,the War President.

“It's 420 here.”

cold comfort farm

#18 Aug 2, 2007
Bush sends condolences...but unless Minnesota is solidly republican, you can expect to wait for a month of Sundays for assistance.

“why did I miss this?”

Since: May 07

lapeer, Michigan

#19 Aug 2, 2007
Funny that they found problems with this bridge in past inspections, yet wouldn't spend money to fix it. Now it's too late. Our government system is wasting our tax money. The money they get on gasoline alone should be able to make roads and bridges safe for us. but they don't care. My heart pains for the victims and people they left behind. We all need to appreciate every day we have, we never know when it could be our last. peace.
Curious Ray

United States

#20 Aug 2, 2007
Anyone else notice all that rebar sticking out at the site of the bridge collapse? There are no fragments or lumps of concrete stuck on ony of that rebar. I've done damage assessments on hundreds of concrete structures and only saw denuded rebar like that one time and that was at a fire station at Wake Island that collapsed on two fire engines responding to an inflight emergency. Five years after the investigation it was leaked that the contractor that built the station used sea water to mix the concrete and corrosion had swolen the rebar and damaged the concrete. Was this bridge built during winter and was something added to the concrete to keep it from freezing before it could set? Could fluids used on the bridge to prevent icing have permieated the concrete to the rebar causing separation and weakening of the structure? There's a cause and a reason for everything that happens.
Observer

AOL

#21 Aug 2, 2007
p75hh39j wrote:
<quoted text>
No,you just tried to blame old people and poor people for the shortfall in revenue.Funny,every Democratic president since Kennedy has had greater revenue growth than spending growth,and every Republican has had greater spending growth than revenue growth,with Bush being by far the worst.The blame sits squarely where I put it.Greedy crybabies who want everything without paying for it,and Republican politicians who want to take apart Social Security,and of course,the War President.

Sir, I blamed no one in particular especially older Americans since I am one at age 57. My point is simple. Too many programs paying benefits out with not enough Americans paying in to the pot. And as we all know, the number of "payers in" decreases with each year since more people are aging than being born presently. Let's simplify shall we? If I deposit $1000 per month into my bank account, how long will I last if I withdraw $2000 a month? We need to prioritize spending on successful and honest government projects and stop spending aimlessly whether that be by Republicans, Democrats, or Independents. Frivilous and unaccoutable spending is the culprit. All I am advocating is fiscal responsibility for all elected officials of all political parties. Pretty simple stuff really.
Curious Ray

United States

#23 Aug 2, 2007
Observer wrote:
<quoted text>..........
Sir, I blamed no one in particular especially older Americans since I am one at age 57. My point is simple. Too many programs paying benefits out with not enough Americans paying in to the pot. And as we all know, the number of "payers in" decreases with each year since more people are aging than being born presently. Let's simplify shall we? If I deposit $1000 per month into my bank account, how long will I last if I withdraw $2000 a month? We need to prioritize spending on successful and honest government projects and stop spending aimlessly whether that be by Republicans, Democrats, or Independents. Frivilous and unaccoutable spending is the culprit. All I am advocating is fiscal responsibility for all elected officials of all political parties. Pretty simple stuff really.
Sonny ... at 63 I'd have to admit you are absolutely right.
Westie Mom in Minneapolis

Harris, MN

#24 Aug 2, 2007
Curious Ray - you bring up interesting points - at this point in the investigation, I tend to believe it's something in the structure, but it also bothers me that this happened during rush hour when so many people were there. I won't rule out anything yet.
Observer

AOL

#25 Aug 2, 2007
Curious Ray wrote:
<quoted text>Sonny ... at 63 I'd have to admit you are absolutely right.

Beautiful!!! A wonderful sense of humor coupled with the age and experienced that I respect. Too bad we're the oddities on Topix. This forum is frequented by kids not even aware that Congress decides who spends how much on what. The President submits a budget that has been rejected by every Congress in modern times. Congress spends our tax revenues like my sons used to spend my money before they became adults and started spending their own money. Funny how their spending habits changed overnight. It was a Festivous Miracle.

“God bless and keep israel”

gulfport, ms

#26 Aug 2, 2007
jimwings wrote:
Funny that they found problems with this bridge in past inspections, yet wouldn't spend money to fix it. Now it's too late. Our government system is wasting our tax money. The money they get on gasoline alone should be able to make roads and bridges safe for us. but they don't care. My heart pains for the victims and people they left behind. We all need to appreciate every day we have, we never know when it could be our last. peace.
it was the state's responsibility to fund & repair the bridge not the feds
p75hh39j

Auburn Hills, MI

#28 Aug 2, 2007
Observer wrote:
<quoted text>......
Beautiful!!! A wonderful sense of humor coupled with the age and experienced that I respect. Too bad we're the oddities on Topix...
Well,your an oddity alright.I'm older than you too,kid,and from the way you worded that,I'll bet I'm several decades older than you.It sounds like it's written by a teenager trying to pretend he has age old wisdom.You're a selfish little idiot,no matter what age tou are.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 14
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 7 min confrinting with ... 670,354
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 7 min RiversideRedneck 100,589
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 8 min Joe Fortuna 980,174
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 8 hr Sky Writer 31 184,288
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 11 hr Jehowa Witness 46,179
Treating others with respect 12 hr UnderstandPeople 14
Do any attractive cougars or milfs want to trad... (Dec '11) 14 hr Seejay 4
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) Wed Pegasus 286,455
More from around the web