Man killed in Friday's Highway 17 accident on Laurel Curve iden...

Full story: Santa Cruz Sentinel

The Coroner's Office identified the man killed in a crash on Highway 17 on Friday morning as Duane Carpenter, 60, of Santa Cruz.
Comments
1 - 20 of 71 Comments Last updated Apr 29, 2014
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
cruznative

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2009

Judged:

"Another one bites the dust"...grew up with Duane on the "Eastside"...R.I.P. my old friend!
Pizza Pizza

Emeryville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2009

Wow..my jaw just hit the floor. He was indeed a long time local....RIP
Concerned Citizen

San Jose, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2009

Seeing the police on Hwy 17 recently and it is having the affect of slowing folks down... well done!!!
beaker mcracken

Santa Rosa, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2009

Judged:

60,000 plus drove the road that day. 12 wrecked. One died. Bummer. I wonder what will have to his new business.
Jennifer

San Leandro, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2009

Wow, yes he was a long time local. RIP Duane...
Hill Billie

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2009

Judged:

On Broadway wrote:
They should also look into the cause of that accident. Mr. Carpenter was very well known by certain entities in this town....nuf said.
I feel sorry for the death and also the injuries caused by the accident. But the police should look into the cause some more.....
Evidently, some who read this thought your comment was too harsh, but this is from the Sentinel Cops & Courts, December 12, 2008:

Santa Cruz

Police bust drug house, make arrests

Police arrested four suspected drug users during a raid of a known drug house on the 300 block of lower Broadway late Thursday morning.

The bust marked the culmination of an ongoing investigation, police said. The probe by the department's Street Crimes Unit stemmed from neighborhood complaints about drug use. Officers reportedly found methamphetamine, heroin and cocaine inside the sturdy olive green home.

Duane Carpenter, 59, was arrested on suspicion of maintaining a drug house and felony possession of narcotics, police reported. April Ford-Carpenter, 47, was arrested on a misdemeanor warrant and on suspicion of being under the influence and frequenting a known drug hangout.
siats

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2009

Judged:

CHP/CalTrans - Eliminate the turn out on laurel curve and extend the concrete barrier. its the most dangerous turn on 17.
from ol timeCruzan

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2009

Billy Hill: Didn't we go to SCHS with him? No matter what, it is sad. I drive that horrid hill daily and watch speeders race by. It is crazy. Time to get good public transportation choices over the hell.
Connie
Hill Billie wrote:
<quoted text>
Evidently, some who read this thought your comment was too harsh, but this is from the Sentinel Cops & Courts, December 12, 2008:
Santa Cruz
Police bust drug house, make arrests
Police arrested four suspected drug users during a raid of a known drug house on the 300 block of lower Broadway late Thursday morning.
The bust marked the culmination of an ongoing investigation, police said. The probe by the department's Street Crimes Unit stemmed from neighborhood complaints about drug use. Officers reportedly found methamphetamine, heroin and cocaine inside the sturdy olive green home.
Duane Carpenter, 59, was arrested on suspicion of maintaining a drug house and felony possession of narcotics, police reported. April Ford-Carpenter, 47, was arrested on a misdemeanor warrant and on suspicion of being under the influence and frequenting a known drug hangout.
from ol timeCruzan

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2009

Judged:

I am glad he didn't take anyone with him on the trip over the hill. People are commiting attempted murder with their driving habits.
Paulie Walnuts wrote:
<quoted text>
People choose to use drugs, it is their decision. I'm sorry for the death of anyone. I was on a ride along with the cops a couple years ago and Mr.Carpenter was also arrested at that time for the same crimes listed above. I have seen many lives ruined by that property on Broadway. Drugs were being sold and used there for DECADES.
I'm sorry for the loss of Mr.Carpenter but honestly I believe he is at peace now, let's hope they clean up that property on Broadway and rid the troubles from that neighborhood. The man was high 24/7/365. RIP Duane
Brother Bri

San Jose, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2009

Judged:

Pizza Pizza wrote:
Wow..my jaw just hit the floor. He was indeed a long time local....RIP
Me too...Duane was a customer of mine and had my church as an account for many years. I was saddened to see him arrested awhile back for drug sales. He had a lot of problems but I'm still sorry to see his final outcome. I send my prayers to his family and friends.
Brother Bri

San Jose, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2009

Judged:

Mary wrote:
So he was a druggy and a speeder Serves him right I'm glad he's dead ! Good riddance!
God have mercy on your soul...shame on you!
Westside

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2009

Professor Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
He also ran a successful commercial fire extinguisher business for over 20 years...how many of us can say that? Why do the buzzards always hover on Topix whenever anybody meets an untimely end?
Successful, more like a total scam artist. Ripped off numerous restaurants with bogus inspections. I could go on, but I think I know what most people thought of him.
Have some respect

San Jose, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2009

Judged:

Well, if he "ripped off numerous restaurants with bogus inspections" then some of the blame has to go to those businesses. I myself met him about a month ago in the dollar store as he was trying to drum up sales for his fire extinguisher business. Since I have a daycare and need my extinguisher serviced yearly I gave him my number because he said he could do it for $12.00 and my regular people charged $30.00. There was a polite desperateness about him in that he was looking for immediate money. When I walked away from that conversation I felt that something wasn't right. How could you be in business for 20 years charging so little and still be needing to drum up business door to door? I began to wonder whether he was certified and how I could find out and how I would be able to trust that he actually did service my extinguisher correctly. That is when I realized the value of paying the guy who charges more who has a legitimate well known documented business.
I'm not saying he was up to no good. No one can say that. It sounds like he had a past but he could have woken up that very morning ready to start anew. We really do not know. I think it is very cowardly to talk poorly about people after they die, when there is no way they can defend themselves.
I have a message from him on my answering machine that he left last Tuesday, 3 days before he died. We had left it that he would call in December about setting up service. I hadn't called him back yet as I was thinking about how I could find out how to check up on him. It is strange to listen to his voice and know he is gone now.
hey forum police

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2009

Judged:

Please, if you are going to remove posts, also remove the posts that quote them.
Devlin Syde

San Lorenzo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2009

hey forum police wrote:
At least he did not kill the other people. I'm surprised he lived so long the way he took chances. He was a burglary/drug addict and a disappointment to his father. What else can you say.
I agree with you completely
Have some respect

San Jose, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2009

Well, okay "Westside". I'll lighten up. I suppose he has reaped the reputation he has sowed. I guess I just figured he's gone now so what is the point? Can't be to warn people.
JFS

Keaau, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2009

April Ford has been in and out jail 1990...Interesting...
ben cartwright

Los Gatos, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2009

Judged:

basic safe driving laws are tossed out the window by folks from all walks of life...drive the speed limit ,, what is your excuse for not doing this ..? a 400 hp subaru ? grow up speeders.
30 year Local

Boulder Creek, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2009

Judged:

Duane serviced my fire extinguishers for the past 6 years. Always showed up annually right on time. Serviced >10 extinguishers quickly and well. Never seemed high. Was always friendly and polite. I really don't care about his private life. I will miss him. Rest in peace, Duane.
Local Yokel

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2009

Judged:

Duane was a nice guy, he serviced our fire extinguishers for years when our company was located in Watsonville. RIP Duane.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••