Next Last
Pete

Liverpool, UK

#1 Dec 28, 2012
My opinion is that believers in a afterlife are happier people
I think atheists deep down envy believers, to think are our loved ones
Our having great time in a heaven surely beats rotting in the ground,
And when we die the thought of being reunited with friends family pets
Surely means believers are happier people.

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

#2 Dec 28, 2012
I really dont think happiness is associated with any type of belief system. Happy people are happy.

If you really think about it though, alot of people turn to religion to find happiness, or a purpose in life. they turn to God and simply put dont find him. They dont find him cause he isnt there or isnt available whichever you prefer. so they cant find happiness..........Stuck in that same ole rut.

Anyone looking for happiness wont find it in religion. You have to create it. Dont depend on any magical deity to give it you, it takes work or action.

Those are the facts according to rider..........
Pete

Liverpool, UK

#3 Dec 28, 2012
I am not saying there is a afterlife
I am just saying that people that truly believe in a god are happier
Because life has more meaning,
Just the thought that there's no death and people will reunited with loved ones
That thought alone must make believers happier people and give there life more meaning

#4 Dec 28, 2012
Pete wrote:
I am not saying there is a afterlife
I am just saying that people that truly believe in a god are happier
Because life has more meaning,
Just the thought that there's no death and people will reunited with loved ones
That thought alone must make believers happier people and give there life more meaning
But yet many are afraid to die, and fight for life just as an atheist would.

So the question really is do they really believe in God and an afterlife. I'd say many dont. Their just playing it safe and maybe even fooling themselves.........

But just for myself my happiness is not dependent on an afterlife. I try to live in the present, anything else can produce unnecessary worries or regrets..........JMO....
Pete

Liverpool, UK

#6 Dec 28, 2012
Ok one question to the atheists,
And you have to be honest with this question.
If I said to you now, when you die you will be heaven with your
Loved ones, family, friends, including pets,
Are you telling me that , This would not make you a happier person.

#7 Dec 28, 2012
Pete wrote:
In that moment it would..........And then I would go on and live my life. I'd have the same trials and errors as before.

“I am but a humble duck.”

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#8 Dec 28, 2012
Pete wrote:
No, I wouldn't be happier. I would value the time I have with my loved ones now less because it wouldn't matter if I spent time with them or not, because I'd be with them forever.

And honestly, an eternity of anything would be torture. Let's say you did everything you could possibly do. What now? Do it all over again? How about when you've done it all for the billionth time, and then realize you haven't even scratched the surface?

Location hidden

#9 Dec 28, 2012
Also - I am an atheist that was once a Christian, and I am just as happy now as I was then. If anything, I feel more happy. It's hard to explain, but it's almost like unbinding your mind from a heavy set of chains, represented by religious dogma.
Pete

Liverpool, UK

#10 Dec 28, 2012
Wes the duck
I got a strong feeling on your death bed
You will start praying.

Location hidden

#11 Dec 28, 2012
I highly doubt it. Why would I have to pray? The activity in your brain - you know, what makes you who you are - stops after death. I have nothing to be afraid of.

You experience something similar (although certainly not the same) whenever you sleep without dreaming.
Pete

Liverpool, UK

#12 Dec 28, 2012
The fact you said highly means you will pray!
Danzig

Borås, Sweden

#13 Dec 28, 2012

Location hidden

#15 Dec 28, 2012
Pete wrote:
The fact you said highly means you will pray!
No it doesn't, and if I ever did pray on my deathbed, it wouldn't be to the heinous and abhorrent God that Christians worship.

“goodbye topix”

Since: Jun 12

Im not here

#17 Dec 29, 2012
Atheists dont always believe in nothing, if u take agnostics as atheistic 2.
Why wouldent they be happier without the burden of knowing ur soul could be damned, or its tainted by demons, or all that stuff like that. Yeh, theres the + side of love and eternity, but that aint for everyone. Be OK just to go to sleep and never wake up.

Location hidden

#18 Dec 29, 2012
_Chartreuse_ wrote:
Be OK just to go to sleep and never wake up.
This.

I'm not depressed or anything, but there's something calming about it. Not scary. I love life, but I don't fear death.
Cisco Kid

Modesto, CA

#19 Dec 29, 2012
_Chartreuse_ wrote:
Atheists dont always believe in nothing, if u take agnostics as atheistic 2.
Why wouldent they be happier without the burden of knowing ur soul could be damned, or its tainted by demons, or all that stuff like that. Yeh, theres the + side of love and eternity, but that aint for everyone. Be OK just to go to sleep and never wake up.
Science has proven beyond a doubt that people with faith in God live much happier lives than atheists.

In December of 2003, the University of Warwick reported:

"Dr. Stephen Joseph, from the University of Warwick, said: "Religious people seem to have a greater purpose in life, which is why they are happier. Looking at the research evidence, it seems that those who celebrate the Christian meaning of Christmas are on the whole likely to be happier."
(Psychology researcher says spiritual meaning of Christmas brings more happiness than materialism - Scienceblog and University of Warwick)

We could reasonably equate happiness as being more conducive to mental and even physical health.

The prestigious Mayo Clinic reported the following on December 11, 2001:

"In an article also published in this issue of Mayo Clinic Proceedings, Mayo Clinic researchers reviewed published studies, meta-analyses, systematic reviews and subject reviews that examined the association between religious involvement and spirituality and physical health, mental health, health-related quality of life and other health outcomes.
The authors report a majority of the nearly 350 studies of physical health and 850 studies of mental health that have used religious and spiritual variables have found that religious involvement and spirituality are associated with better health outcomes."
(Religious Involvement, Spirituality, and Medicine: Implications for Clinical Practice)

Belief in God is also one of the big reasons that people of faith are much more charitable and well minded than atheists.
A number of studies have confirmed that there is an inverse relationship to doing volunteer work and depression.

The atheist population does less charitable works and volunteering per capita than the theist population.

http//www.pursuit-of-happiness .org/science-of-happiness/cari ng/caring-and-happiness-review s/
Cisco Kid

Modesto, CA

#20 Dec 29, 2012
WesTheDuck wrote:
<quoted text>
No it doesn't, and if I ever did pray on my deathbed, it wouldn't be to the heinous and abhorrent God that Christians worship.
Let me ask you a question.

If you were to pray in your deathbed, but not pray to Almighty God The Creator,.....
Whom WOULD you pray to?

Now take a minute or two before you answer because this is important.

Location hidden

#21 Dec 29, 2012
Cisco Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
Science has proven beyond a doubt that people with faith in God live much happier lives than atheists.
In December of 2003, the University of Warwick reported:
"Dr. Stephen Joseph, from the University of Warwick, said: "Religious people seem to have a greater purpose in life, which is why they are happier. Looking at the research evidence, it seems that those who celebrate the Christian meaning of Christmas are on the whole likely to be happier."
(Psychology researcher says spiritual meaning of Christmas brings more happiness than materialism - Scienceblog and University of Warwick)
We could reasonably equate happiness as being more conducive to mental and even physical health.
The prestigious Mayo Clinic reported the following on December 11, 2001:
"In an article also published in this issue of Mayo Clinic Proceedings, Mayo Clinic researchers reviewed published studies, meta-analyses, systematic reviews and subject reviews that examined the association between religious involvement and spirituality and physical health, mental health, health-related quality of life and other health outcomes.
The authors report a majority of the nearly 350 studies of physical health and 850 studies of mental health that have used religious and spiritual variables have found that religious involvement and spirituality are associated with better health outcomes."
(Religious Involvement, Spirituality, and Medicine: Implications for Clinical Practice)
Belief in God is also one of the big reasons that people of faith are much more charitable and well minded than atheists.
A number of studies have confirmed that there is an inverse relationship to doing volunteer work and depression.
The atheist population does less charitable works and volunteering per capita than the theist population.
http//www.pursuit-of-happiness .org/science-of-happiness/cari ng/caring-and-happiness-review s/
These studies pose a problem - they were all done in predominantly Christian locations. Broader studies have shown that atheists, in communities and societies where there are higher number of atheists are just as happy.

http://www.minnpost.com/second-opinion/2012/0...

Also - studies have shown that religious people's happiness does not come from the religion itself, but from having a social network of people to fall back on during hard times. In the predominant Christian countries which the studies you cited took place in, many atheists are outright shunned for their belief. Of course they'll be unhappier.

[S]upport for the conjecture that religiosity gains its power by being culturally valued came earlier this year from psychologist Jochen E. Gebauer of Humboldt University in Berlin and his colleagues. They mined a data set consisting of almost 190,000 records of individuals from 11 European countries who had set up profiles on an online dating site. These people had all rated how important religion was to them and how well a variety of positive adjectives — such as calm, healthy and resilient — described them. The researchers combined their answers into a single term,“psychological adjustment.”

The researchers found that the link between high religiosity and psychological adjustment was stronger in more religious countries and disappeared almost entirely in countries that did not tend to value religiosity. As the authors put it,“religiosity, albeit a potent force, confers benefits by riding on cultural values.”

Economics are a big factor, too. The happiest nations (Denmark, Norway, Finland and the Netherlands) are also some of the richest, and they are also some of the least religious.

“Belief in God or gods is not a prerequisite for a pleasurable existence, although it can make life easier,” she concludes.“Socializing with like-minded people on a regular basis, and living and working in a supportive community, can offer many of the same benefits.”

Location hidden

#22 Dec 29, 2012
Cisco Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me ask you a question.
If you were to pray in your deathbed, but not pray to Almighty God The Creator,.....
Whom WOULD you pray to?
Now take a minute or two before you answer because this is important.
Zeus? The Flying Spaghetti Monster? I don't know, and it doesn't matter - they all have the same chance of existing. I wouldn't, however, pray to the disgusting God of the Christian Bible. Sorry - but anyone who tells his people to raid villages and kill all but their virgins (whom they were instructed to take as sex slaves), has them kill children for acting up, etc., is not worthy of any praise. I'd rather burn in hell.

Not that I have any reason to be afraid, though! There isn't even any evidence that hell exists.
Cisco Kid

Modesto, CA

#24 Dec 29, 2012
WesTheDuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Zeus? The Flying Spaghetti Monster? I don't know, and it doesn't matter - they all have the same chance of existing. I wouldn't, however, pray to the disgusting God of the Christian Bible. Sorry - but anyone who tells his people to raid villages and kill all but their virgins (whom they were instructed to take as sex slaves), has them kill children for acting up, etc., is not worthy of any praise. I'd rather burn in hell.

Not that I have any reason to be afraid, though!

There isn't even any evidence that hell exists.
Give it a little time, dude.
You'll get there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 11 min Dave Nelson 809,037
Moses never existed 12 min KiMare 1,254
asking a friend for a spanking (Mar '12) 16 min princessddlife 10
sharing your wife 19 min Chrisalex 23
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 21 min My name is Ashok ... 5,624
If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 47 min WORD OF GOD OBSCENE 944
“Microsoft” Evolution headset 54 min myideas2 1
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr Neville Thompson 268,805
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 hr Seentheotherside 573,728
Sleeping with mother (Oct '13) 5 hr hehehe7385 17
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 7 hr Black Thunder 42 608,134
More from around the web