Geneva policy won't halt US interrogations

The U.S. military order to apply basic provisions of the Geneva Conventions to terrorism detainees at Guantanamo Bay does not mean they will get the Swiss francs, parcels from home or full protections afforded ... Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jones

Tenafly, NJ

#1 Jul 12, 2006
The U.S. military order to apply basic provisions Common Article 3 of the Geneva Conventions to Islamic terrorism detainees at Guantanamo, based on the decision of US Supreme Court last week. US officials insisted the new policy would not have much effect because humane treatment has always been the standard. However, US will continue interrogation of al Qaeda and Taliban prisoners with the questioning is conducted without violence and without humiliating or degrading treatment. US already used much of the information that was achieved during interrogation for the safety of the American people and prevention of terrorists attacks in US and especially NYC. Nevertheless, the left wing liberals are concerns about the effect of the interrogation on the Islamic terrorists, and desire that they will not feel bad or embarrassed during interrogation.
Ridge

San Francisco, CA

#2 Jul 12, 2006
Jonesy likes to put words into peoples mouths, It is easier to debate a straw man than a real person. If you poke him you will get a stream of repetitive canned rhetoric that has little to do with what you actually post and everything to do with creating continuing urban myths about the dreaded liberals..
NotMyselfToday

Chester, VA

#3 Jul 13, 2006
hmmm... wonder if those Americans were embarrassed or "felt bad" during the interrogations, or as the sword cut their head off, or when they were set on fire... WHILE THEY WERE STILL ALIVE!! Enough already... they are terrorists, not your childrens nanny
punkyraccoon

Since: Dec 05

Jeffersonville, IN

#4 Jul 13, 2006
NotMyselfToday wrote:
hmmm... wonder if those Americans were embarrassed or "felt bad" during the interrogations, or as the sword cut their head off, or when they were set on fire... WHILE THEY WERE STILL ALIVE!! Enough already... they are terrorists, not your childrens nanny
Yes, you are right on! A terrorist is a terrorist, not a solider by any definition. They already get everything that they have never had - food, clean blankets, clean uniforms, T.V., they are actually being treated better as prisioners than they were as civilians or as terrorist! Swords - they did not use swords, they were not that humane, they cut their throats slowly while they suffered and cut with dull knives other parts of their bodies while they cried and begged - and we are being asked to give these terrorist humane treatment! This is outrageous! I'm sick of thinking about these POOR terrorist being humilated while being questioned as to where their next planned attack on America will be. The only parcel they did is a humvee and have them drive off of the road until they hit an IED!!!!!!!!!!
punkyraccoon

Jeffersonville, IN

#5 Jul 13, 2006
Jones wrote:
The U.S. military order to apply basic provisions Common Article 3 of the Geneva Conventions to Islamic terrorism detainees at Guantanamo, based on the decision of US Supreme Court last week. US officials insisted the new policy would not have much effect because humane treatment has always been the standard. However, US will continue interrogation of al Qaeda and Taliban prisoners with the questioning is conducted without violence and without humiliating or degrading treatment. US already used much of the information that was achieved during interrogation for the safety of the American people and prevention of terrorists attacks in US and especially NYC. Nevertheless, the left wing liberals are concerns about the effect of the interrogation on the Islamic terrorists, and desire that they will not feel bad or embarrassed during interrogation.
Leave out your comments about left wing liberals and your comments would mean so much more. They lose meaning when filtered with blaming liberals for these decisions.
Curious George

Four Oaks, NC

#7 Jul 13, 2006
How sad that we are a nation divided! How tragic that we have allowed a segment of our nation to brand conseratives as patriotic and liberals as unpatriotic, ememy protecting bastards. All human life is sacred "and endowed by their creator with certain rights" which we Americans view as a universal, emperical truth. The life of an Iraqi child is equal in value to the life of a U.S. solidier. The Muslim terrorist are not nice people, but we are a nation of laws and even the President of the U.S. is not above those laws. A President who seeks to evade, ignore, or destroy those laws is not partriotic and should be impeached!!!
Home Boy

Balsam Lake, WI

#8 Jul 13, 2006
We are very close to a Police State, and an arms length
from a Dictatorship

A self appointed Dictator acting as President

George Whorehouse Bush

Our government as is, consists of nothing less than
organized crime and a corrupt syndicate that will
stop at nothing to remain in power

Washington D.C.(District of criminals)
Ken

United States

#10 Jul 13, 2006
Bonso wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmmm, wonder if those Un-armed, Iraqi civilians, and children "felt bad" when American bombs blew off there legs, and faces. Or when the American bombs set them on fire, and they burned alive, wondering"Why are the Americans setting me on fire"....
Enough already, they are Iraqi, and have no place on earth. Compared to a great American....
Hmm, I wonder how bad innocent civilians from all over the world felt when they had to make the decision to jump from the burning twin towers or stay there and burn to death. I cannot fathom the grief that went on in the passangers minds on all of the planes that went down on 9/11. Maybe my heart is hardened but I havent forgotten. In any war in history innocent civilians have been killed. The war against terrorism is a war that has never been dealt with to this extent. Our men and woman of the armed forces are not there to kill anyone. They are there to bring justice. THE UNITED STATES IS NOT THE BAD GUYS IN IRAQ, THE TERRORIST ARE!!!
Casca

United States

#11 Jul 13, 2006
punkyraccoon wrote:
<quoted text>
Leave out your comments about left wing liberals and your comments would mean so much more. They lose meaning when filtered with blaming liberals for these decisions.
Should he leave it out, even if its accurate?
Casca

United States

#13 Jul 13, 2006
Bonso wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmmm, wonder if those Un-armed, Iraqi civilians, and children "felt bad" when American bombs blew off there legs, and faces. Or when the American bombs set them on fire, and they burned alive, wondering"Why are the Americans setting me on fire"....
Enough already, they are Iraqi, and have no place on earth. Compared to a great American....
No, they have a place on Earth, just like Americans do. Also, I am sure they have little use for the terrorist who intentionally targets civilians. They realize there is a difference between the warrior and the butcher.
Home Boy

Balsam Lake, WI

#16 Jul 13, 2006
Bonso wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with all. Exceptthis, America is a police state. And a dictatorship. Why? Watch: When the voters of a State( supposidley soverign) speaks with the vote and says "Nay" or "YAY" to an issue, then that is the peoples voice, Constitutionally legal.
But when one man, a Federal Judge can usurp those votes, then we have a dictatorship.
America is a not a Democracy. America is a Plutocracy, where the wealthy rule.( As it was just prior to the American revolution). The Plutocaracy is enforced by a Para-Military police state.
Thus, a Pluacratic, dictatorship, enforced by a Para-Military police State.
I agree also

Those in favor 2 yea's

Those against 0 nay's

Therefore, the resolution that George Whorehouse Bush
is a terrorist becomes popular opinion.
Dan Williams

Reno, NV

#17 Jul 13, 2006
Bombing people whose dictator was sold anthrax, nerve gas, and helicopters to dispense the nerve gas by the United States is a double whammy; Rusmfeld used to be really chummy with Saddam but maybe Rumsfeld hasn't been getting enough money from the defense contractors that sold to Iraq so maybe he threw a hissy fit and took his anger out on the innocents.

http://www.zerotolerenceforwar.org/Talkinghea...

http://www.zerotolerenceforwar.org/Links.html
Ridge

San Francisco, CA

#18 Jul 13, 2006
He must be accepting the ruling from the Supreme court with one of his signing statements attached.
Danniboy

Canberra, Australia

#19 Jul 13, 2006
"The war on terrorism, as the White House conceived it, could be endless…"

Then, quite obviously, war is not the answer. Only a fool embarks on a course of action that they openly admit has no chance of succeeding at its stated purpose. And that old saw about "the fool who follows".

One might also say only a fool embarks on a course that all recent history shows has to UTTERLY failed against all known terrorists. From England to Spain, Cambodia, Checnya, Burma, Russia, Iraq, Afghanistan (Russians and US) force has utterly failed to stop terrorists being terrorists. Talking has succeeded. Bringing those terrorists into governance systems and giving them something to lose - power and opportunity - has succeeded. But in all cases saying 'we'll fight those terrorists to the last man' has been shown to generate more terrorists. What a great big fat surprise! Violence begets more violence! I'm sure books that are thousands of years old say something like this. I'm sure we teach our children this is why we don't hit another child.

So, in all ways a foolish course hey? Unless, of course, stopping terrorism is simply one of, or not at all, the desired purpose...

"…the Supreme Court in June 2004 upheld the access of citizens in military custody to federal court, Justice Sandra Day O'Connor observing that a state of war is not a 'blank check' for the president to remove constitutional safeguards for essential liberties."
Danniboy

Canberra, Australia

#20 Jul 13, 2006
Ken wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmm, I wonder how bad innocent civilians from all over the world felt when they had to make the decision to jump from the burning twin towers or stay there and burn to death. I cannot fathom the grief that went on in the passangers minds on all of the planes that went down on 9/11. Maybe my heart is hardened but I havent forgotten. In any war in history innocent civilians have been killed. The war against terrorism is a war that has never been dealt with to this extent. Our men and woman of the armed forces are not there to kill anyone. They are there to bring justice. THE UNITED STATES IS NOT THE BAD GUYS IN IRAQ, THE TERRORIST ARE!!!
Oh dear Ford, are there STILL people who link Iraq and 9/11 as if there was any relationship, let alone a causal one? Have you bothered to subject anything you have been told to a bit of thought or have you just said 'hmm, ok, that sounds plausible"?

And what possible job, may I ask, do members of the armed forces have other than to kill people and destroy infrastructure? That is what armies do. That is the only thing they do. And they do it until a specified group does what the commanding political leadership demands. This is what armies are for - controlled application of violence to secure political ends.

Answer me this: Why did the US go to Iraq? First it was WMDs right? Iraq had them and was aiming them at the WHOLE WORLD. or at least the US. Yes, that's right - there was credible intel they were about to launch against the US. Wasn't there? Wait, no it was to get Saddam. Yes, to get Saddam because he personally was the danger and had 'tried to kill my daddy one time'. No, wait - it was to free the Iraqi people from Sunni domination. Wasn't it? Damn, I'm getting confused. All these different reasons. Wait, no it was because the secular government of Iraq was joined at the hip with the radical Islamic fundamentalists wasn’t it? Yes that’s right – one of the least religious governments in the entire Middle East was part of The Network. Yeah, because the Iraqis posed as Saudis and they bombed the trade towers. And that’s why we attacked Afghanistan. Because the Iraqis, posing as Saudis, were hiding in Afghanistan and it was in fact the Taliban who did it. No Wait. NOW I remember – It was because God told him to do it! That’s Right! Out of the Shrub’s own mouth he said that he truly Believed that GOD told him to invade Iraq. GOD told him to go to war - yes the God of the 'Thou Shalt Not Kill' type.

And now why are they there? Oh that’s right – because when the brave and noble Coalition of the Killing blew the sh1t out of all existing communication, transport, security and governance systems the whole place descended into chaos. Gee – who would have expected that? Except perhaps the millions and millions of people around the world who stood up simultaneously and chanted ‘No Blood For Oil’ and ‘Bush, Are You An Idiot Or What? Going Into Iraq Will Be Your Vietnam. Hey Are You Even Listening To Us? I’m Sitting On A Couch And I Can See How Dumb That Is – What Kind Of Crazy Religious Trip Are You On?
open mind

San Bernardino, CA

#21 Jul 14, 2006
Bonso wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly what and who do you think our soldiers are fighting and dying for? Just the interests of the US? Is it possible that our soldiers believe that freedom for the Iraqi child is worth dying for and that, in itself, suggests that they do '...have a place on earth.' Wouldn't you agree? In that case, you might want to revisit the hate-filled comment that you just made!
Ridge

San Francisco, CA

#22 Jul 14, 2006
Casca wrote:
<quoted text>
Should he leave it out, even if its accurate?
His posts are not accurate. He invariably attacks the messenger instead of the message and when attacking the message it is not with accurate points that can be backed up but with straw men and canned arguments that return the argument to the messenger and evade the facts.
Casca

United States

#23 Jul 15, 2006
What facts? Air America, Fox News? We, in the trenches, only know one main fact. I woke up today. The rest is propaganda.
punkyraccoon

Jeffersonville, IN

#24 Jul 19, 2006
Bonso wrote:
<quoted text>
I wonder if you realize that we (Americans) did not intentionally bomb any unarmed Iraqi civilians, which is totally different than what took place with the soldiers that were slaughtered by terrorist. We don't target civilians, but unfortunately, the war is in their country because of their great leader or did you forget that with your astatine comment. If the peoples of Iraqi would stand up and take care of their own, then we would have no need to be there in the first place. I wonder if maybe instead those civilians are saying to themselves, LOOK WHAT THE TERRORIST ARE STILL DOING TO US! SPEAKING OF THEIR "OWN RADICAL GROUP" of terrorist that have kept them down for years.
punkyraccoon

Jeffersonville, IN

#25 Jul 19, 2006
Bonso wrote:
<quoted text>
Why is it, when another person shoots back at Americans, they are terrorist? Why is the killing, maiming, and slaughter of Iraqis, called "NON-TERRORISM"?
Why is it, it is "illegal" too fight back against an invading Army,(American, and allies).
It isn't illegal - but we are not an invading Army there because we didn't have anything to do that day, like bury thousands of civilians that were attacked here in our country. Our country's protection is more important than justification of attacking the country that also defied the warnings of the UN Council and who poses a threat to our nation. They can fight back, but we are not over there slaughtering their civilians by cutting off their heads and broadcasting it or disemboweling even the terrorist themselves. So, if they are not being treated like kings in the prison camp, damn their luck, maybe they should have fought to make their own land safe from Saddam. Instead, they want to kill the infantiles all over the world - who is going to win this issue, you think that you are going to change the whole world to believe in one religion and one only. GET REAL!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 min Aura Mytha 779,131
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 min USA Born 560,703
Moses never existed 10 min feces for jesus 860
AirAsia jet vanishes into sea 28 min Doctor REALITY 5
Are our soldiers traitors? 37 min MAKEWORLDPEACEUID... 16
Why the Lamborghini Aventador is FASTER than th... 39 min Doctor REALITY 4
Is A Race War Brewing? 46 min Glen 59
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr YellowPissreality 265,581
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 3 hr Innocent Holy dr ... 605,384
How do I ask my dad for sex? (Oct '13) 7 hr daveo69 72
More from around the web