how can I tell real gold from gold pl...

how can I tell real gold from gold plated

Posted in the Top Stories Forum

Since: Aug 10

Honolulu, HI

#1 Aug 24, 2010
I bought this ring from my friend today. She said it is 14k solid white gold with a sapphire stone on it. I want to know if it is solid white gold or white gold plate. I has the 14k stamp on the inside of the band.

“Listen to the sounds”

Since: Feb 09

of your own extinction......

#2 Aug 24, 2010
julesnokea wrote:
I bought this ring from my friend today. She said it is 14k solid white gold with a sapphire stone on it. I want to know if it is solid white gold or white gold plate. I has the 14k stamp on the inside of the band.
Technically there's no such thing as white gold. The substance known as white gold by most people, is actually platinum, which is a completely different element to gold. Platinum, aka white gold has the elemental symbol "Pt", while gold has the symbol "Au".

No one can buy jewelry made purely of gold or platinum. Pure gold is actually as soft as clay or plastercine. Gold is often bonded to other harder metals such as copper or silver, or sometimes even alloys such as brass, in order to make hard rigid jewelry. "14 carat white gold" means that the ring contains 58% Platinum.

One can notice the difference in softness of the jewelry for different carats. 24 Carat jewelry has 99% gold and 1% other metal to maintain hardness. 24 Carat is noticably softer to the touch than 12, 14 or 9 carat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carat_ (purity)

“Listen to the sounds”

Since: Feb 09

of your own extinction......

#3 Aug 24, 2010
In other words, practically all jewelry is gold plated rather "solid gold", since gold is never solid at room temperature.

Since: Aug 10

Honolulu, HI

#4 Aug 24, 2010
True Truth wrote:
In other words, practically all jewelry is gold plated rather "solid gold", since gold is never solid at room temperature.
Thanks for the comment. Anyways, I took it a local pawn shop here in Hawaii. She tested the ring by rubbing it on something and then she put somekind of acid on the it. The silver marking had disappeared with means "it's white gold plated and not solid gold". So to make it short, I'm returning the ring to friend for the $10. I don't think there's anyone here that wants to buy a ring that's plated. I was aiming for solid gold but, you win some, you lose some.
AnonymousDox_49

Sussex, Canada

#5 Apr 10, 2013
julesnokea wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the comment. Anyways, I took it a local pawn shop here in Hawaii. She tested the ring by rubbing it on something and then she put somekind of acid on the it. The silver marking had disappeared with means "it's white gold plated and not solid gold". So to make it short, I'm returning the ring to friend for the $10. I don't think there's anyone here that wants to buy a ring that's plated. I was aiming for solid gold but, you win some, you lose some.
Obviously the ring was fake if you purchased it for only 10 dollars ahahah!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 2 min Maxxx_Payne 24,729
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 6 min Gods r Delusion x... 685,465
2510 Cantrell Road Walmart's FRIED CHICKEN is a... 7 min Doctor REALITY 1
News GOP not interested in health care for us 7 min Bug 2
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 26 min waaasssuuup 985,588
Dog was hit by a car. Who is responsible for what? 32 min Corbin KY 2009 1
Boone County/Petersburg Distillery workers in B... 2 hr Boone County Bourbon 1
More from around the web