Why do people not believe in God?

“Free your mind”

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#25618 Apr 17, 2014
Armo wrote:
<quoted text>
you will NEVER find life on another planet.
mankind can't even get past the moon.
We don't have the technolgy, resource or the money. Obama-mama will never allow it.
Hey there Armo! Been a while! Hope all is well with you.

Looks like you were way wrong on this one though. Just saying....;)

“Free your mind”

Location hidden

#25619 Apr 17, 2014
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
This is how limited the Christian mind is. They can't even imagine the US will ever have another president.
Didn't you hear? Obama is a dictator now, we are under martial law, and subject to having all guns and property confiscated and being thrown in FEMA camps any second now....for the last five and half years!

“Free your mind”

Location hidden

#25620 Apr 17, 2014
Man of God 4eva wrote:
<quoted text>
The bible is evidence. Please take a moment and think about what you are saying. Do not follow a trend. How would you feel if you woke up tomorrow and everything that's was said in the Bible ended up being true and you never believed it? Would you still deny? Are you willing to take that chance? For me I was not. I rather believe and be right and. Out believe and be wrong. Think about it? Love you all
"Do not follow a trend?" Aren't you a Christian? And Christians are the majority in the world. So your religion IS the trend! It is the "broad way." Jesus was not a Christian, and he went against Judaic man made laws written in the OT, the Torah. Apparently, that is the narrow way and Christians are on the broad path by accepting groupthink rather than walking one's own spiritual path.

“Free your mind”

Location hidden

#25621 Apr 17, 2014
Man of God 4eva wrote:
<quoted text>
The conditions was set already you were right about that. The same thing the bible said. God created the earth in the perfect conditions for humans to live here. His creations of earth and the conditions are perfect in all ways.
That is a delusion. Tell people who froze to death in the south this winter that the weather is perfect, a set standard that never changes. I suppose the ice ages were perfect for humans to live through as well, never mind most humankind died out during the last major one. Nothing in nature can be "perfect." IF there is a God, it can't be "perfect." Perfection implies one set standard. There could be no evil if a benevolent God existed; there could be no good if a totalitarian God existed.

“Free your mind”

Location hidden

#25622 Apr 17, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
You just described a conundrum: being an atheist *is* needing proof and is **not** belief.
You *are* an atheist, if you do not believe and you require proof.
Truth. Hi there, Bob. Good to see you around.:)

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#25623 Apr 18, 2014
DaveK wrote:
The question often comes up about being for eternity in Heaven or Hell. Think about it. Under the best of conditions would you really want to live anywhere for eternity? As an analogy, You haven't seen a favorite relative in years then they come to visit. After a week you can't wait for them to go home. Well consider if they stayed for eternity. The sun will not shine for eternity then the earth will turn into a ball of ice.
Indeed-- the primitive Bronze-Age "thinkers" that came up with the carrot-stick idea really had no concept of infinities, did they?

P.S. Not to nit-pick, but the earth won't be going cold at the end of our sun's life-- it'll be engulfed along with Mars and Mercury, whenever our sun balloons up into it's red giant phase.

About the time it runs out of hydrogen fuel, and begins "burning" helium, it's diameter will swell up out past Mars' orbit.

:)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#25624 Apr 18, 2014
Rose wrote:
<quoted text> Okay? there is no proof of unicorns or flying humans or magic, but that does not mean they exist. things that are proven obviously exist. I don't believe in god because the idea of a god is illogical, proof isn't required for me to not believe because it simply defies logic.
Agreed.

That which is presented (and claimed) without any proof, can be dismissed without argument.

(I think both Hitchens and Dawkins said this, more or less)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#25625 Apr 18, 2014
Some1 Else wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey there Armo! Been a while! Hope all is well with you.
Looks like you were way wrong on this one though. Just saying....;)
Indeed-- we (and by "we" I mean hard-working human scientists) have already located extra-solar planets galore.

This would strongly suggest that planets *are* as common as previously thought.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#25626 Apr 18, 2014
Some1 Else wrote:
<quoted text>
Didn't you hear? Obama is a dictator now, we are under martial law, and subject to having all guns and property confiscated and being thrown in FEMA camps any second now....for the last five and half years!
And they took away all our guns, too... nobody is armed anymore--not even the police.

... wait...

....... that didn't actually happen, did it?

But the price of both guns *and* ammo has tripled, meantime... and these idiots keep driving the price up-up-up.

I almost wish I'd have purchased stock in companies that manufacture these things...

... heh.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#25627 Apr 18, 2014
Some1 Else wrote:
<quoted text>
Truth. Hi there, Bob. Good to see you around.:)
I come... and I go. I got really bored with the usual Topix Godbots, so I left for awhile.

It's good to interact with thinking people (such as yourself) now and again, though.

So these days I (mostly) ignore the godbots, and talk to the thinkers instead.

I post canned "responses" to any godbot who bothers a reply to me, just to let them know I'm deliberately ignoring them.

Most don't get even that much of a hint.

lol!

“Free your mind”

Location hidden

#25628 Apr 18, 2014
<quoted text>
I come... and I go. I got really bored with the usual Topix Godbots, so I left for awhile.
It's good to interact with thinking people (such as yourself) now and again, though.
So these days I (mostly) ignore the godbots, and talk to the thinkers instead.
I post canned "responses" to any godbot who bothers a reply to me, just to let them know I'm deliberately ignoring them.
Most don't get even that much of a hint.
lol!
Re: Guns and ammo
That's what the whole political show was about....pushing up stock prices to catch the average Joes so they would get in the market once the media showcased the rising prices; then they let the issue go, stock prices start receding/correcting, and the average Joe loses money while those who were in deep before the news hit the general public make a killing. All puns intended....:)

I've been away right about a year judging by my tracker. Sometimes in the real world, there are too many bots around so I come peak in to find you, scaritual, Christine and a few others to restore my hope in humanity. ;)

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#25629 Apr 18, 2014
Why do adults not believe in Santa or the Easter Bunny but still believe in the other Christian fairy tales ?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#25630 Apr 18, 2014
Some1 Else wrote:
<quoted text>
Re: Guns and ammo
That's what the whole political show was about....pushing up stock prices to catch the average Joes so they would get in the market once the media showcased the rising prices; then they let the issue go, stock prices start receding/correcting, and the average Joe loses money while those who were in deep before the news hit the general public make a killing. All puns intended....:)
I've been away right about a year judging by my tracker. Sometimes in the real world, there are too many bots around so I come peak in to find you, scaritual, Christine and a few others to restore my hope in humanity. ;)
I think you're right, about the ammo thing.

And yeah, I do like the rationalists on Topix; an interesting bunch of folk.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#25631 Apr 18, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
Why do adults not believe in Santa or the Easter Bunny but still believe in the other Christian fairy tales ?
And they are quick to dismiss the fairy tales of others, such as Vishnu.

I have no idea why, though.

“Free your mind”

Location hidden

#25632 Apr 18, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
Even worse, they lie to children about Santa and the Easter Bunny, and threaten them with hell-fire just as they do other adults. If that isn't morally bankrupt, I don't know what is.

“Free your mind”

Location hidden

#25633 Apr 18, 2014
<quoted text>
I think you're right, about the ammo thing.
And yeah, I do like the rationalists on Topix; an interesting bunch of folk.
I've seen it asked many times why there are so many rabid fundamentalists on Topix. It really seems to be a reflection of society, from my recent experiences. Look at the political landscape. Those bagger types are all over the place, as our whole political system moved so far right, there is not much real left to counter unless they are laying really low which is horrible idea. I think Obama has tried, but if one of the baggers gets in office, the Executive Orders will be back up around Reagan level, and individual rights will go out the window due to SC decisions exploited by some religinut politician.

Behind the screen they spew what they think publicly, though won't say publicly. We have the equivalent of the Taliban and they, themselves, do not even realize it, and an idiot politician wanting to nuke Russia, most likely in an effort to bring on Armageddon. Never thought I'd see the day religionists would have so much political power, even to the SCOTUS level. And here in my state, there is a bill to make the Bible the official state book. Never mind the real issues that affect PEOPLE; they waste money on crap they know lawyers and legislators will make money off of on the taxpayer's dollars when it goes before the court as unconstitutional. But it makes many people here so happy! Ticks me off to no end. So yeah, I needed to be exposed to some rationality....and here I am. lol

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#25634 Apr 19, 2014
Some1 Else wrote:
<quoted text>
I've seen it asked many times why there are so many rabid fundamentalists on Topix. It really seems to be a reflection of society, from my recent experiences. Look at the political landscape. Those bagger types are all over the place, as our whole political system moved so far right, there is not much real left to counter unless they are laying really low which is horrible idea. I think Obama has tried, but if one of the baggers gets in office, the Executive Orders will be back up around Reagan level, and individual rights will go out the window due to SC decisions exploited by some religinut politician.

Behind the screen they spew what they think publicly, though won't say publicly. We have the equivalent of the Taliban and they, themselves, do not even realize it, and an idiot politician wanting to nuke Russia, most likely in an effort to bring on Armageddon. Never thought I'd see the day religionists would have so much political power, even to the SCOTUS level. And here in my state, there is a bill to make the Bible the official state book. Never mind the real issues that affect PEOPLE; they waste money on crap they know lawyers and legislators will make money off of on the taxpayer's dollars when it goes before the court as unconstitutional. But it makes many people here so happy! Ticks me off to no end. So yeah, I needed to be exposed to some rationality....and here I am. lol
There is some move here in Oklahomer to try to tax sunlight.

No, I'm serious--

-- it seems that years and years and years back, there was a law/regulation passed that said, in effect, if an individual (or company) created more electricity than they consumed, they had the right to sell that back to the legal-monopoly power company, as essentially it was all held in the public trust anyhow. In short? You have the right to run your electric meter backwards-- and if you run it backwards enough, the power company must cut you a check.

And some fat-cat who owns PSO, up at AEP-- an evil mega-corp holding company that produces **nothing**, realized that some enterprising landowners were putting up many square feet of solar panels, and not only were they making more power than they used, they were getting checks instead of bills each month.(naturally, these clever people bought power at night, when the sun wasn't up, and on the occasional really cloudy days too-- but this was typically less than what they made during the day-- a net loss to the power company in revenue)

And so, they are now trying to pass a "tax" on people who do that.

Greedy b*stards.

And the Genuine Christholes™ just keep putting these greed-based azzholes back in office-- because the G.C's are so incredibly STUPID, that they actually BELIEVE these greed-cats' whenever they spew religious platitudes in public...!!

As if Jesus **was**not** a back-to-earth, anti-establishment hippy...

“Free your mind”

Location hidden

#25635 Apr 19, 2014
<quoted text>
There is some move here in Oklahomer to try to tax sunlight.
No, I'm serious--
-- it seems that years and years and years back, there was a law/regulation passed that said, in effect, if an individual (or company) created more electricity than they consumed, they had the right to sell that back to the legal-monopoly power company, as essentially it was all held in the public trust anyhow. In short? You have the right to run your electric meter backwards-- and if you run it backwards enough, the power company must cut you a check.
And some fat-cat who owns PSO, up at AEP-- an evil mega-corp holding company that produces **nothing**, realized that some enterprising landowners were putting up many square feet of solar panels, and not only were they making more power than they used, they were getting checks instead of bills each month.(naturally, these clever people bought power at night, when the sun wasn't up, and on the occasional really cloudy days too-- but this was typically less than what they made during the day-- a net loss to the power company in revenue)
And so, they are now trying to pass a "tax" on people who do that.
Greedy b*stards.
And the Genuine Christholes™ just keep putting these greed-based azzholes back in office-- because the G.C's are so incredibly STUPID, that they actually BELIEVE these greed-cats' whenever they spew religious platitudes in public...!!
As if Jesus **was**not** a back-to-earth, anti-establishment hippy...
Yep, I can see by all the judicons the fundies are lurking, yet, they have no input. Not that their input is worth much, other than to serve the purpose of supporting anything that is not in the best interest of the people, as your example shows.

Much has been made the past day or two here in LA about a bill to repeal sodomy laws not passing the state legislature. The nays had it with a landslide. The issue really only came about because East Baton Rouge Parish SO was targeting gays in parks. Setting them up basically...a cute cop meeting up with guys then inviting them back to his home. Once the unwitting citizens would say "sure," with no talk of any kind of sexual contact at all, the handcuffs were slapped on, and not in a good way. No solicitation involved, yet they have several law-abiding citizens with records now until the mess gets straightened out, and most of those guys won't have the means to take their cases to the SCOTUS.

HOWEVER, what the media isn't really making known is that the bill had a rider that would have also repealed harsher laws enacted in 2012 against sodomizing children. So these baggers set the bill up for a fall from the very beginning. In reality, they undermined individual liberty by attaching such an irrational provision. But many are ok with that because they have no clue of what that means at all. All they see is themselves as part of their group, the GC's as you referred to them. Fascism has taken a hold at the state level in many cases, yet people are so blinded by statism that they mix it up with patriotism which then gets perverted into nationalism. But we who uphold individual rights, actual constitutional authority, these days are the enemy.

All this takes me back to Sinclair Lewis''It Can't Happen Here.' But by 1935, we had already been infiltrated with corporate interests infringing on constitutional rights and a large monopoly on media, AKA Hearst. Now we have the fascists, white supremacists and baggers collaborating, and all hold the same extremist views of radical Islam, whether they admit it or not. One point Lewis made in that book was that the worst fascists were the ones who denounce the label but uphold the ideals of fascism. That is what I see from the fundie Christians and their offshoot groups like the KKK, which is growing once again....surprise, surprise...not.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#25637 Apr 19, 2014
Some1 Else wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, I can see by all the judicons the fundies are lurking, yet, they have no input. Not that their input is worth much, other than to serve the purpose of supporting anything that is not in the best interest of the people, as your example shows.
Much has been made the past day or two here in LA about a bill to repeal sodomy laws not passing the state legislature. The nays had it with a landslide. The issue really only came about because East Baton Rouge Parish SO was targeting gays in parks. Setting them up basically...a cute cop meeting up with guys then inviting them back to his home. Once the unwitting citizens would say "sure," with no talk of any kind of sexual contact at all, the handcuffs were slapped on, and not in a good way. No solicitation involved, yet they have several law-abiding citizens with records now until the mess gets straightened out, and most of those guys won't have the means to take their cases to the SCOTUS.
HOWEVER, what the media isn't really making known is that the bill had a rider that would have also repealed harsher laws enacted in 2012 against sodomizing children. So these baggers set the bill up for a fall from the very beginning. In reality, they undermined individual liberty by attaching such an irrational provision. But many are ok with that because they have no clue of what that means at all. All they see is themselves as part of their group, the GC's as you referred to them. Fascism has taken a hold at the state level in many cases, yet people are so blinded by statism that they mix it up with patriotism which then gets perverted into nationalism. But we who uphold individual rights, actual constitutional authority, these days are the enemy.
All this takes me back to Sinclair Lewis''It Can't Happen Here.' But by 1935, we had already been infiltrated with corporate interests infringing on constitutional rights and a large monopoly on media, AKA Hearst. Now we have the fascists, white supremacists and baggers collaborating, and all hold the same extremist views of radical Islam, whether they admit it or not. One point Lewis made in that book was that the worst fascists were the ones who denounce the label but uphold the ideals of fascism. That is what I see from the fundie Christians and their offshoot groups like the KKK, which is growing once again....surprise, surprise...not.
Indeed.

Sheep, the whole lot. They refuse to open their collective eyes, preferring to "see" by being told what they were "seeing" instead.

And they lap it up with nary a second (or first) thought.

“Free your mind”

Location hidden

#25638 Apr 20, 2014
<quoted text>
Indeed.
Sheep, the whole lot. They refuse to open their collective eyes, preferring to "see" by being told what they were "seeing" instead.
And they lap it up with nary a second (or first) thought.
Yep, like today with their "sacred" crackers and wine, or grape juice. Ritualistic cannibalism at its finest!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 min truth 667,968
Electing Donald Trump was a terrible mistake 20 min catspaw1955 9
Everyone is a fool 28 min Truthiness 6
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 41 min Rider on the Storm 92,765
God has.......A-L-W-A-Y-S?!?!......EXISTED???!!! 45 min Truthiness 12
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 2 hr LAWEST100 619,226
I have extra fertility meds in my fridge 3 hr Sarahdavis64 1
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 hr Rosa_Winkel 979,480
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 5 hr Pegasus 286,096
More from around the web