“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#25370 Apr 19, 2013
orkin33 wrote:
BOB OF QUANTUMN FAITH-WELL BECAUSE THE BIBLE ALLOWS HUMANS TO PLAY GOD-WHEN THEY SHOULD BE PLAYING HUMAN -EVERY RELIGIOUS BOOK HAS WISDOM IN IT -ITS HUMANITIES DISTORTION AND MANIPULATION THAT TWISTS SOMETHING GOOD INTO SOMETHING BAD
-THE ROAD TO HELL IS PAVED WITH GOOD INTENTIONS
The price is too high-- your ugly bible lets people justify murder, bigotry, misogyny, slavery, child abuse-- you name it, the bible allows people to justify it.

As such, it's simply not worth it.

There are much-much better morality guides than the ugly bible.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#25371 Apr 19, 2013
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem is separating out the wheat from all that chaff. Oh, sure there are some good things in the Bible, here is a web site with a list:
http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/good/long.h...
The problem remains that there are also a LOT of bad, or down right EVIL things in there as well. Slavery, misogyny, genocide, legitimized rape and murder, the list is quite long...
Yes, exactly that-- and stupid people cannot tell the difference between the good and the bad bits...

And anyone who believes the bible is a good book? Is pretty stupid, as a matter of course...

“I'm out hunting”

Since: Jan 10

For your mind and soul

#25372 Apr 19, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
The price is too high-- your ugly bible lets people justify murder, bigotry, misogyny, slavery, child abuse-- you name it, the bible allows people to justify it.
As such, it's simply not worth it.
There are much-much better morality guides than the ugly bible.
It is funny that they say that their buybull is holy, while admitting that it contains horrible things. Is is also funny to me how they dismiss those cruel verses as old age stuff, but continue to insist that the buybull be taken seriously. I was just watching an episode of the West Wing. On the show, the president is asked to pardon a convicted criminal. The president's adviser is approached by his rabbi. The rabbi says that it is wrong for the state to kill. The adviser responds by pointing out that the Torah supports the idea of a death penalty. The rabbi replies by saying that a lot of things are said in the Torah, horrible things such as slavery, sexism,etc The rabbi dismisses these as "old age wisdom," not applicable to the modern world. I could not help but ask myself how could sexism or slavery be wise in any context. Also, I had to wonder how people can accept a book as holy while denying a large portion of what it teaches.

“I'm out hunting”

For your mind and soul

#25373 Apr 20, 2013
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem is separating out the wheat from all that chaff. Oh, sure there are some good things in the Bible, here is a web site with a list:
http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/good/long.h...
The problem remains that there are also a LOT of bad, or down right EVIL things in there as well. Slavery, misogyny, genocide, legitimized rape and murder, the list is quite long...
That is the problem with xtians. Whenever one criticizes the buybull, they respond by pointing out all the good stuff and scriptures in the buybull, as if that justifies all the evil ones. Sorry, but humans are supposed to live good lives and hholy books are supposed to preach good scriptures,not a balance of good and and evil. An example of their logic is a cop who rescues women from their abusive husbands only to abuse his own wife. Furthermore, the "good scriptures" in the buybull are only applicable under certain conditions. In order to get into heaven, one must degrade one's self to please God. Women must obey their husband's, slaves their master.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#25374 Apr 20, 2013
emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text> It is funny that they say that their buybull is holy, while admitting that it contains horrible things. Is is also funny to me how they dismiss those cruel verses as old age stuff, but continue to insist that the buybull be taken seriously. I was just watching an episode of the West Wing. On the show, the president is asked to pardon a convicted criminal. The president's adviser is approached by his rabbi. The rabbi says that it is wrong for the state to kill. The adviser responds by pointing out that the Torah supports the idea of a death penalty. The rabbi replies by saying that a lot of things are said in the Torah, horrible things such as slavery, sexism,etc The rabbi dismisses these as "old age wisdom," not applicable to the modern world. I could not help but ask myself how could sexism or slavery be wise in any context. Also, I had to wonder how people can accept a book as holy while denying a large portion of what it teaches.
It is what Orwell called "doublethink". People can get very good it it, in fact.

What that means to me, is that they compartmentalize things-- and never-ever allow the compartments' contents to interact, let alone touch.

"this is how we think for >>these<<" and "this is how we think for >>those<<"

Never permitting thoughts to cross over...

... is it any wonder they are unhappy? I should think the stress of keeping those compartments from touching is akin to juggling anti-matter...

... one false thought/move and *ka-blooie*

In reality, it's not that hard to make an atheist out of people-- all you really need to do, is get them ...

... thinking about it all, as a whole.

At the very least, they'll become one of those "not religious" types who reject any and all ritualized religion.

That's a start, and preferable to the former sort.

:)

“I'm out hunting”

For your mind and soul

#25375 Apr 21, 2013
I think it is a form of cowardice. They find many of the Bibilical laws to be repugnant but they are not willing to renounce the buybull because they do not want to do anything that challenges what they are used to doing or believing in. I know that I went through that phase before converting and I believe you have as well, Both me and my twin started thinking and doubting our belief in a God during our teenage years after reading books on the buybull, doing soul searching, and reading about evolution. He came out as an atheist before I did. Whenever he would tell me that he did not believe in a god, I would call him a blasphemer, even though I doubted my own belief. I realize now that I was being a coward at that time.
<quoted text>
It is what Orwell called "doublethink". People can get very good it it, in fact.
What that means to me, is that they compartmentalize things-- and never-ever allow the compartments' contents to interact, let alone touch.
"this is how we think for >>these<<" and "this is how we think for >>those<<"
Never permitting thoughts to cross over...
... is it any wonder they are unhappy? I should think the stress of keeping those compartments from touching is akin to juggling anti-matter...
... one false thought/move and *ka-blooie*
In reality, it's not that hard to make an atheist out of people-- all you really need to do, is get them ...
... thinking about it all, as a whole.
At the very least, they'll become one of those "not religious" types who reject any and all ritualized religion.
That's a start, and preferable to the former sort.
:)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#25376 Apr 21, 2013
emperorjohn wrote:
I think it is a form of cowardice. They find many of the Bibilical laws to be repugnant but they are not willing to renounce the buybull because they do not want to do anything that challenges what they are used to doing or believing in. I know that I went through that phase before converting and I believe you have as well, Both me and my twin started thinking and doubting our belief in a God during our teenage years after reading books on the buybull, doing soul searching, and reading about evolution. He came out as an atheist before I did. Whenever he would tell me that he did not believe in a god, I would call him a blasphemer, even though I doubted my own belief. I realize now that I was being a coward at that time. <quoted text>
Certainly cowardice plays a large role here; in many cases a person's self-identity is also wrapped up on a person's religion.

And giving up the religion is akin to giving up one's identity.

But as Neil DeGrasse Tyson said?

He tries to live each day, learning something new.

If you are always learning something new? That will change a person's identity as sure as the sun sets in the west.

It may not be immediate, but learning new things will change a person for the rest of their life-- tiny incremental changes lead up to large, significant changes, given enough of them.
Oxymoron

Glasgow, KY

#25377 Apr 21, 2013
I Don't Know About You

I don't know about you, but I never heard much preached on Lucifer, or in a way that was easy to understand anyway. He was just always this spooky figure in the shadows that Christ protected us from, but it was never really explained "how" to me, or I didn't get it, if it was. It always seemed to be one of those questions you just didn't ask in church. But Jesus said to be Wise as serpents in Matthew 10:16, in other words know your enemy, because he walks about as a roaring lion seeking whom he may devour which it says in 1 Peter 5:8. It was very curious to me when I found out that in Satanism, one of their main statements was "Satan has been the best friend the church has ever had as he has kept it in business all these years" and then in the Bible if you read Acts 17:24 you find that it says that God does NOT dwell in Temples made with hands. Romans 16:17,18 are very good verses to put with that also and 2 Corinthians 11:13-15 as well. And then top it off with 2 Thessalonians 2:3,7-12. After that you really begin to see where Satan truly dwells, and God's word told us all along, the very place we first go to find God. This is why Jesus said to Destroy the Temple in John 2:19, but the Religious leaders of the time refused to. The Tares are being bound into Bundles (Denominations and Different Religions and Nationalities), to be burned, and the wheat are being gathered to the barn just as it says in Matthew 13:24-30,38,39-43. The Harvest is the End of the World, it's happening as we speak, just as it says in Matthew 13:39 and 1 John 2:18 and Matthew 7:20-23; and Matthew 24:4-8,22; 2 Peter 3:9; He that hath ears to hear let him hear.

Matthew 10:16: Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.

1 Peter 5:8: Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:

Acts 17:24: God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth NOT in temples made with hands;

Romans 16:17,18: Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them. For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.

2 Corinthians 11:13-15 For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

2 Thessalonians 2:3,7-12: Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition; For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way. And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming: Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders, And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved. And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

Continued below
Oxymoron

Glasgow, KY

#25378 Apr 21, 2013
John 2:19 Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.

John 3:19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

Matthew 13:24-30,37-43: The kingdom of heaven is likened unto a man which sowed good seed in his field: But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went his way. But when the blade was sprung up, and brought forth fruit, then appeared the tares also. So the servants of the householder came and said unto him, Sir, didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? from whence then hath it tares? He said unto them, An enemy hath done this. The servants said unto him, Wilt thou then that we go and gather them up? But he said, Nay; lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them. Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn. He answered and said unto them, He that soweth the good seed is the Son of man; The field is the world; the good seed are the children of the kingdom; but the tares are the children of the wicked one; The enemy that sowed them is the devil; the harvest is the end of the world; and the reapers are the angels. As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire; so shall it be in the end of this world. The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity; And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth. Then shall the righteous shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.

1 John 2:18: Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.

Matthew 7:20-23: Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them. Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Matthew 24:4-8, 22: Take heed that no man deceive you. For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many. And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places. All these are the beginning of sorrows. And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.

2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Matthew 7:12 Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.

Please Pass this message on to someone else, either by word of mouth, or by copying. May God Bless You.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#25380 Apr 21, 2013
Oxymoron wrote:
I Don't Know About You
Spam.

Please save your religious bullsh7t for the religious threads.

Nobody with a >>working<< brain reads such filth as what you posted.

“I'm out hunting”

For your mind and soul

#25381 Apr 21, 2013
<quoted text>
Certainly cowardice plays a large role here; in many cases a person's self-identity is also wrapped up on a person's religion.
And giving up the religion is akin to giving up one's identity.
But as Neil DeGrasse Tyson said?
He tries to live each day, learning something new.
If you are always learning something new? That will change a person's identity as sure as the sun sets in the west.
It may not be immediate, but learning new things will change a person for the rest of their life-- tiny incremental changes lead up to large, significant changes, given enough of them.
True, learning new things changes one's perspective on life. That is why religion has always attempted to either contain or discourage learning. All we have to do is remember how the Church went after Galileo or that teacher in the Scropes Monkey Trial. Such venom and hate from the followers of Christ.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#25382 Apr 21, 2013
emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text>
True, learning new things changes one's perspective on life. That is why religion has always attempted to either contain or discourage learning. All we have to do is remember how the Church went after Galileo or that teacher in the Scropes Monkey Trial. Such venom and hate from the followers of Christ.
Indeed.

What more proof that religion hates learning, than to examine the very first lesson in the bible:

The lesson was, the tree of knowledge (learning) was strictly off-limits.

That's right-- the first lesson in the bible? DO NOT LEARN.

It's rather amazing that the human race progressed at all, once people pushing that ugly book got ahold of things.

Of course-- the human race in Europe did suffer debilitating anti-progress called "the dark ages" for rather too long...

... and in fact, it wasn't until people began to question the ugly bible, and eventually reject it, that learning resumed.

That was called the Renaissance ...

“I'm out hunting”

For your mind and soul

#25383 Apr 22, 2013
<quoted text>
Indeed.
What more proof that religion hates learning, than to examine the very first lesson in the bible:
The lesson was, the tree of knowledge (learning) was strictly off-limits.
That's right-- the first lesson in the bible? DO NOT LEARN.
It's rather amazing that the human race progressed at all, once people pushing that ugly book got ahold of things.
Of course-- the human race in Europe did suffer debilitating anti-progress called "the dark ages" for rather too long...
... and in fact, it wasn't until people began to question the ugly bible, and eventually reject it, that learning resumed.
That was called the Renaissance ...
Christians claim credit for the learning and progress in the Renaissance, but that actually came as a result of Euros looking to their Greco Roman past.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#25385 Apr 22, 2013
emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text>
Christians claim credit for the learning and progress in the Renaissance, but that actually came as a result of Euros looking to their Greco Roman past.
Yep-- looking >>past<< the ugly bible, and re-engaging their collective brains.

And christianity fought it at every single step-- all too often, murdering those who questioned/learned.

“Call me Walter”

Since: Nov 10

Dyersburg, TN

#25387 May 1, 2013
Oxymoron wrote:
I Don't Know About You
I don't know about you, but I never heard much preached on Lucifer, or in a way that was easy to understand anyway. He was just always this spooky figure in the shadows that Christ protected us from, but it was never really explained "how" to me, or I didn't get it, if it was. It always seemed to be one of those questions you just didn't ask in church. But Jesus said to be Wise as serpents in Matthew 10:16, in other words know your enemy, because he walks about as a roaring lion seeking whom he may devour which it says in 1 Peter 5:8. It was very curious to me when I found out that in Satanism, one of their main statements was "Satan has been the best friend the church has ever had as he has kept it in business all these years" and then in the Bible if you read Acts 17:24 you find that it says that God does NOT dwell in Temples made with hands. Romans 16:17,18 are very good verses to put with that also and 2 Corinthians 11:13-15 as well. And then top it off with 2 Thessalonians 2:3,7-12. After that you really begin to see where Satan truly dwells, and God's word told us all along, the very place we first go to find God. This is why Jesus said to Destroy the Temple in John 2:19, but the Religious leaders of the time refused to. The Tares are being bound into Bundles (Denominations and Different Religions and Nationalities), to be burned, and the wheat are being gathered to the barn just as it says in Matthew 13:24-30,38,39-43. The Harvest is the End of the World, it's happening as we speak, just as it says in Matthew 13:39 and 1 John 2:18 and Matthew 7:20-23; and Matthew 24:4-8,22; 2 Peter 3:9; He that hath ears to hear let him hear.
Matthew 10:16: Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.
1 Peter 5:8: Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:
Acts 17:24: God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth NOT in temples made with hands;
Romans 16:17,18: Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them. For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.
2 Corinthians 11:13-15 For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.
2 Thessalonians 2:3,7-12: Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition; For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way. And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming: Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders, And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved. And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.
Continued below
You rang?

Let's face it. People are afraid of Hell, that's their motivation, not to please God. I win, as usual.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#25388 May 1, 2013
IXSatanXI wrote:
<quoted text>
You rang?
Let's face it. People are afraid of Hell, that's their motivation, not to please God. I win, as usual.
Perhaps.

There may also be the fact that some people do so enjoy lording it over other folk.

That is, they like puffing themselves up, putting their own selves on a virtual pedestal, and looking down on everyone else.

Hell theology feeds >>directly<< into that-- it's perfect: the godbot can think to himself: "I am so SPECIAL that I get to go to a special heaven made just for me-- but not THOSE folk-- they are depraved and get hell-- which makes me so happy..."

Make no mistake-- the mental mind-game I described above, has very strong appeal for these True Believers™... it feeds their ego so very, very well.

That is a motive right there. Has little or nothing to do with fear, and everything to do with self-righteous ego.

Something quite common in your typical True Believer™

“No Allah: know peace”

Since: Jun 07

A sacred grove in Tujunga, CA

#25389 May 2, 2013
<quoted text>
Perhaps.
There may also be the fact that some people do so enjoy lording it over other folk.
That is, they like puffing themselves up, putting their own selves on a virtual pedestal, and looking down on everyone else.
Hell theology feeds >>directly<< into that-- it's perfect: the godbot can think to himself: "I am so SPECIAL that I get to go to a special heaven made just for me-- but not THOSE folk-- they are depraved and get hell-- which makes me so happy..."
Make no mistake-- the mental mind-game I described above, has very strong appeal for these True Believers™... it feeds their ego so very, very well.
That is a motive right there. Has little or nothing to do with fear, and everything to do with self-righteous ego.
Something quite common in your typical True Believer™
I can mostly agree with that, but I would also have to point out that the vast majority of people do that - they will find something, ANYthing, that they can use to puff themselves up. Even atheists do it, claiming that the fact that they are atheists makes them SO much smarter than theists. The mere fact that, statistically speaking, they are most likely right has no bearing on the case.

Since: Apr 13

Bulacan, Philippines

#25390 May 2, 2013
All people have their own preferences.. Depends on their standards, upbringing, etc. Just like how other people not like cheesecake, sex or Obama.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#25391 May 2, 2013
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
I can mostly agree with that, but I would also have to point out that the vast majority of people do that - they will find something, ANYthing, that they can use to puff themselves up. Even atheists do it, claiming that the fact that they are atheists makes them SO much smarter than theists. The mere fact that, statistically speaking, they are most likely right has no bearing on the case.
I cannot disagree.

Most folk have a fairly strong sense of self, coupled with the natural self-doubt we also have.

This balance helps people to cooperate with each other-- the self helps them from becoming too subservient, and the self-doubt keeps them from over-dominating the cooperative experience.

However, in some cases, one or the other overwhelms a given person.

And then you either get someone deathly afraid of their own shadow (which you rarely see in a public venue like Topix) or else they are a bit overbearing-- just the sort of person who might come to Topix....

... <laughing>

I think this place does tend to self-select for the latter, don't you?

<smiling>

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#25392 May 2, 2013
Lexis123 wrote:
All people have their own preferences.. Depends on their standards, upbringing, etc. Just like how other people not like cheesecake, sex or Obama.
Well, I can understand a liberal or a super-conservative not liking Obama, seeing as he is one of the most >>centrist<< of Presidents we've had since before WW2. With the possible exception of Eisenhower....

.. and I can kind of understand someone so wrapped up in self, to not want sex--as sex tends to require cooperation of at least one other person.

But.....

.... not liking CHEESECAKE?

Are you ... INSANE?

Who does not like CHEESECAKE?

I mean-- I can almost believe in a GOD, simply because CHEESECAKE even exists ...!

Seriously....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Josh Glidewell Lifetime Exteriorz roof. One sat... 2 min Edward Bellvue 1
60s Hippy Freaks Ruined America! (Aug '07) 3 min lightbeamrider 351
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min Christian with Jesus 828,404
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 min Michael 584,128
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 11 min WasteWater 3,393
What do u think of Jesus Christ?(God) (Oct '06) 41 min lightbeamrider 70,145
News Who is an atheist? (May '10) 1 hr Richardfs 9,319
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 1 hr karvinman 176,528
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 2 hr Oxidant 442,862
More from around the web