Why do people not believe in God?
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#25352 Apr 18, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
False.
Who Would Jesus Hate
... is the main motto of ALL Genuine Christians™, everywhere.
You are no different.
Those Jesus as a man may have lived 2000 years ago or so lived. Gods have never lived.
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#25353 Apr 18, 2013
chris m wrote:
I've been thinking alot lately about how you can not believe in God. I been thinking how i would feel if I never believed in an after life. God tells us in the bible to not fear death. I just don't see how if you are an atheist, how you can not fear death. I mean, you believe that once you die, you die. I don't believe in heaven or in hell. How can you be satisfied with not living eternally. I mean, if you at least believed in God, you would have an after life or something to look forward after you die!
Science is a thing at the content of life. God is never been at all!

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#25354 Apr 18, 2013
orkin33 wrote:
BOB OF QUANTUM FAITH-WHY DON'T YOU TAKE A BREAK FROM "TINKING" AND JUST HAVE A PIZZA AND WATCH SOME T.V ! FOR GODS SAKE
You did not address my proof that your ugly godling isn't a real god.

Why?

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#25355 Apr 18, 2013
Tom wrote:
I would say that most people that do not believe in God do it because they lead a conflicting life against the bible.
And you would be lying your self-righteous azz off.

But lying is what you sort do best, isn't it?

No-- the TRUTH is, if you just ASK your typical atheist?

They are atheist simply because your god isn't real.

Adults do not have imaginary friend, you see-- well, not >>sane<< adults at least.

Pity about you though, isn't it?

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#25356 Apr 18, 2013
Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
Any religion is silly and science would be real life!
That is correct!

Science is looking at the >>facts<< and trying to make sense of these.

Religion claims to >>already<< have "answers"-- and does it's dead-level best to DENY any and all facts.

The two could not possibly be farther apart.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#25357 Apr 18, 2013
Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
Those Jesus as a man may have lived 2000 years ago or so lived. Gods have never lived.
It is unlikely that there ever was a "jesus" as the bible-legends talk about.

No, it is much more likely that this is simply a legend-- not unlike the Greeks' Hercules, or the Romans' Romulus and Remus.

Just a story.

And nothing more than that.

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#25358 Apr 18, 2013
Henry wrote:
Religion is all garbage!
That which distinguishes something as religion is garbage. Not all component pieces are trash.

I like your energy though.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#25359 Apr 18, 2013
Capillary Action wrote:
<quoted text>
That which distinguishes something as religion is garbage. Not all component pieces are trash.
I like your energy though.
True. But there isn't really anything unique to the various religious either.

In short, religion cannot claim authorship for the really good ideas humans have come up with, when it comes to living together in peace and harmony.

The ideas, such as the "golden rule" pre-date all the modern religions such as Christianity, Islam & Judaism-- none of those three can claim ownership or even original authorship.

Even the basic ideas, such as "don't steal", or "try not to kill your neighbor" and "respect each other's space" go back to the some of the earliest human ideas.

Again, pre-dating all the modern religious variants.

And, come to think of it, these ideas likely pre-date >>all<< religions... as old as the human ability to communicate verbally, I would wager.

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#25360 Apr 18, 2013
Yep yep.
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
True. But there isn't really anything unique to the various religious either.
In short, religion cannot claim authorship for the really good ideas humans have come up with, when it comes to living together in peace and harmony.
The ideas, such as the "golden rule" pre-date all the modern religions such as Christianity, Islam & Judaism-- none of those three can claim ownership or even original authorship.
Even the basic ideas, such as "don't steal", or "try not to kill your neighbor" and "respect each other's space" go back to the some of the earliest human ideas.
Again, pre-dating all the modern religious variants.
And, come to think of it, these ideas likely pre-date >>all<< religions... as old as the human ability to communicate verbally, I would wager.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#25361 Apr 18, 2013
Capillary Action wrote:
Yep yep.
<quoted text>
In truth, I have no beef at all--none-- with the milder forms of religion-- these often give comfort to folk who desperately need such things.

Unfortunately, the tolerant, the mild, the religions that don't try to get in other peoples' faces?

Those are all too often completely eclipsed by their younger, more angry cousins, the religions which run almost exclusively on hate.

Hate is a fuel that has endless energy, endless traction and can fuel the inner fires of people to do really horrid things without a thought for consequences.

Hate-based religions have always seemed to overshadow the other sorts-- these are the groups bent on forcing their ugly into public sphere in the form of bigot-laws.

Those are the ones we must strive against.
Expert in all Things

Redding, CA

#25362 Apr 18, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
True. But there isn't really anything unique to the various religious either.
In short, religion cannot claim authorship for the really good ideas humans have come up with, when it comes to living together in peace and harmony.
The ideas, such as the "golden rule" pre-date all the modern religions such as Christianity, Islam & Judaism-- none of those three can claim ownership or even original authorship.
Even the basic ideas, such as "don't steal", or "try not to kill your neighbor" and "respect each other's space" go back to the some of the earliest human ideas.
Again, pre-dating all the modern religious variants.
And, come to think of it, these ideas likely pre-date >>all<< religions... as old as the human ability to communicate verbally, I would wager.
Okay, I'll accept your wager. Present your argument in support of your claim...

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#25363 Apr 18, 2013
Expert in all Things wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, I'll accept your wager. Present your argument in support of your claim...
???

History, dude-- read it or be forever mystified.

But I did not "wager" anything here.

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#25364 Apr 18, 2013
BOB-WELL SINCE HUMANS ARE ANIMALS AND ONLY HUMAN TO A CERTAIN EXTENT THE BIBLE COULD BE USED AS A REFEREE OF SORTS IN RELATION TO OUR BEHAVOIRS

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#25365 Apr 18, 2013
BUT THE PROBLEM IS PEOPLE TAKE THINGS TOO LITERALLY IN ONE DIRECTION OR THE OTHER
SUCH AS WHEN YA SAY " TO ERROR IS HUMAN" WAS MEANT TO BE TAKEN AS "WE ALL MAKE MISTAKES" BUT SOME PEOPLE TAKE IT AND RUN WITH IT AND LIVE IT LIKE A LIFESTYLE -UGH

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#25366 Apr 19, 2013
orkin33 wrote:
BOB-WELL SINCE HUMANS ARE ANIMALS AND ONLY HUMAN TO A CERTAIN EXTENT THE BIBLE COULD BE USED AS A REFEREE OF SORTS IN RELATION TO OUR BEHAVOIRS
Why on >>earth<< would you want to do >>that<<?

Have you even >>read<< the thing? Apart from the few, very-very few bits that are >>not<< evil that is?

Seriously. Read the whole thing--it's just a collection of atrocity, committed by it's terror-god onto innocent people.

It is unworthy of such a lofty role as "referee".

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#25367 Apr 19, 2013
orkin33 wrote:
BUT THE PROBLEM IS PEOPLE TAKE THINGS TOO LITERALLY IN ONE DIRECTION OR THE OTHER
SUCH AS WHEN YA SAY " TO ERROR IS HUMAN" WAS MEANT TO BE TAKEN AS "WE ALL MAKE MISTAKES" BUT SOME PEOPLE TAKE IT AND RUN WITH IT AND LIVE IT LIKE A LIFESTYLE -UGH
Indeed: anyone following the rules in the bible, have made a grave mistake-- they foolishly think that justifies them committing atrocities.

Take your average anti-gay bigot: they use the bible to "justify" their bigotry.

Or how about your typical woman-hater, or wife-beater-- again, they use the bible to "justify" their ugly behavior.

Or slaves, even-- the bible explains that slaves should just shut up and take it, that the bible-god has >>made<< them slaves. Ugg.

Then there is the whole list of reasons why a person should murder someone they barely know-- for breaking stupid and meaningless trivia...

... WTF is >>that<< about?

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#25368 Apr 19, 2013
BOB OF QUANTUMN FAITH-WELL BECAUSE THE BIBLE ALLOWS HUMANS TO PLAY GOD-WHEN THEY SHOULD BE PLAYING HUMAN -EVERY RELIGIOUS BOOK HAS WISDOM IN IT -ITS HUMANITIES DISTORTION AND MANIPULATION THAT TWISTS SOMETHING GOOD INTO SOMETHING BAD
-THE ROAD TO HELL IS PAVED WITH GOOD INTENTIONS

“No Allah: know peace”

Since: Jun 07

A sacred grove in Tujunga, CA

#25369 Apr 19, 2013
orkin33 wrote:
BOB OF QUANTUMN FAITH-WELL BECAUSE THE BIBLE ALLOWS HUMANS TO PLAY GOD-WHEN THEY SHOULD BE PLAYING HUMAN -EVERY RELIGIOUS BOOK HAS WISDOM IN IT -ITS HUMANITIES DISTORTION AND MANIPULATION THAT TWISTS SOMETHING GOOD INTO SOMETHING BAD
-THE ROAD TO HELL IS PAVED WITH GOOD INTENTIONS
The problem is separating out the wheat from all that chaff. Oh, sure there are some good things in the Bible, here is a web site with a list:
http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/good/long.h...

The problem remains that there are also a LOT of bad, or down right EVIL things in there as well. Slavery, misogyny, genocide, legitimized rape and murder, the list is quite long...

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#25370 Apr 19, 2013
orkin33 wrote:
BOB OF QUANTUMN FAITH-WELL BECAUSE THE BIBLE ALLOWS HUMANS TO PLAY GOD-WHEN THEY SHOULD BE PLAYING HUMAN -EVERY RELIGIOUS BOOK HAS WISDOM IN IT -ITS HUMANITIES DISTORTION AND MANIPULATION THAT TWISTS SOMETHING GOOD INTO SOMETHING BAD
-THE ROAD TO HELL IS PAVED WITH GOOD INTENTIONS
The price is too high-- your ugly bible lets people justify murder, bigotry, misogyny, slavery, child abuse-- you name it, the bible allows people to justify it.

As such, it's simply not worth it.

There are much-much better morality guides than the ugly bible.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#25371 Apr 19, 2013
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem is separating out the wheat from all that chaff. Oh, sure there are some good things in the Bible, here is a web site with a list:
http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/good/long.h...
The problem remains that there are also a LOT of bad, or down right EVIL things in there as well. Slavery, misogyny, genocide, legitimized rape and murder, the list is quite long...
Yes, exactly that-- and stupid people cannot tell the difference between the good and the bad bits...

And anyone who believes the bible is a good book? Is pretty stupid, as a matter of course...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 3 min Toby 105,597
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 7 min here 48,631
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 9 min USA-1 38,753
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 10 min Rosesz 646,595
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 16 min WasteWater 2,051
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 30 min X Pendable 182,649
ye olde village pub (Jun '07) 35 min Ann Bonney 53,817
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 35 min Anna 971,662
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 5 hr Steve III 44,682
More from around the web