Why do people not believe in God?

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#25312 Apr 2, 2013
I_am wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no idea if he was lying. You just dont believe it could be true. Incredible things happen every day.
But NONE of them are god-divine in any way.

None.

LOL!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#25313 Apr 2, 2013
I_am wrote:
<quoted text>
Christianity is believing and following Jesus Chris, has nothing to do with hate. It's the people who hate, that is what is pure and simple. Not the religion.
False.

Who Would Jesus Hate

... is the main motto of ALL Genuine Christians™, everywhere.

You are no different.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#25314 Apr 2, 2013
mztza wrote:
<quoted text>
you are again so clever,
do you think that you deserve to be hated
and why should i waste my time hating you
is that the only emotion
you know and deserve
it seems like you have a real problem
when any expresses an opinion that your not able to comprehend intelligently
you assume someone hates you
defeat, in what respect that you come to this conclusion
no one can be defeated,
the only one that can and will defeat is SELF
Who Would Jesus Hate?

Your admission of defeat is duly noted.

Since you have NO counter to my arguments in anything the above.

“Ignorance won't topple science”

Since: Jan 11

Terra, Sol

#25315 Apr 4, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>
Why can't you prove he doesn't exist
A.) Because you can't prove a negative, because there would therefore be no proof to provide.
B.) We *can,* however, point out massive flaws in your arguments for a "God," as I have done in the past. Would you like to hear one of the bigger ones that I've pointed out?

"You claim that 'God' existed before and created everything. In order to existed, then your God must either be comprised of something or have something from which it emanates (which would still have a composition). If 'God' created everything, then this would also include these materials that your 'God' needs to exist. In short? You claim that 'God' created 'God' from nothing. In saying that 'God' existed before everything, your claim is expanded to 'God created God from nothing before God existed."

There's also a little matter of physics that also points against your 'God.' The Law of Conservation of Mass (something cannot be created from nothing) and the Law of Equivalent Exchange (to obtain, something of equal value must be given), for starters.

Either argument both has the same underlying point: that no matter how you look at it, the universe would *have* to have existed before 'God' in order for your 'God' to exist. And even then, where did 'God' come from? If your 'God' just came out of nowhere, then you have absolutely no argument because those who are less versed in physics could make the same argument for everything else.

So tell me, how do you explain your "God," keeping these points in mind, WITHOUT using a cop-out (like "God is something more than we can know) and WITHOUT using an argument that can be applied to everything else by others (like "It just existed")

Terra, Sol

#25316 Apr 4, 2013
Just for fun xD wrote:
[...]The only ones I am against are the ones who get and spread STD's on purpose. And if a gay couple forces his kids to be gay. Just like they had the right to choose to be gay, the kids should have the right to choose to follow into their parents footsteps or be heterosexual.
The only part of this post that I have a real problem with is here. Homosexual couples do not force their children to be homosexual. That is because many of them know what it is to have a parent try to deny their sexuality and make them "straight." They also know that their sexuality is not something that they determine, and that it's not their place to tell their kids who they can and cannot fall in love with.

On the contrary, you see many more hetero. parents getting upset at having a homo. child than you do homo. parents having a hetero. child. That's why homosexuals have a phrase called "coming out of the closet," that nobody else has to do. And with that, I leave you with a comedy sketch:
"
"

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#25318 Apr 4, 2013
Man of Science wrote:
<quoted text>The only part of this post that I have a real problem with is here. Homosexual couples do not force their children to be homosexual. That is because many of them know what it is to have a parent try to deny their sexuality and make them "straight." They also know that their sexuality is not something that they determine, and that it's not their place to tell their kids who they can and cannot fall in love with.
On the contrary, you see many more hetero. parents getting upset at having a homo. child than you do homo. parents having a hetero. child. That's why homosexuals have a phrase called "coming out of the closet," that nobody else has to do. And with that, I leave you with a comedy sketch:
"http://www.youtube.com/w atch?v=1_wWJ-_4uSYXX"
Excellent point.

More to the point-- it seems that gay couples who do become parents, tend to be superior parents, on average.

They have several more hurdles to overcome, in order to get to that status: they have to overcome being gay in a gay-hater culture, they have to overcome being a gay couple in an anti-gay marriage culture, and they have to overcome anti-gay sh7t in order to adopt a child.

Going through all that, typically makes them all the more determined to remain together, and to be the best parents they can be.

Contrast that with your average True Believers™, who squeeze out babies like they were free to raise, with nary a thought on how they were going to pay for the upkeep of 5 or 7 soon-to-be-brats.

No wonder the highest divorce rate is with True Believers™.... more than 50% of their marriages fail.

I don't have the failure rate for gay couples, as they are not permitted to marry in too many states...
Jonasan

West Palm Beach, FL

#25319 Apr 8, 2013
Without a God, What is our purpose in life."Unless you assume a God, the question of life's purpose is meaningless" Bertrand Russell, atheist. Without God life has no purpose. If you live just to die, then what is the purpose of life. Aren't we just like another animal in the waiting line to be slaughtered. Without God is their a purpose, is their a Life. The answer is, no. As most of you know my savior Jesus Christ died on intercepting pieces of wood also known as a cross for you and me. If God wasn't real then why did they just recently find evidence about the Great flood it speaks about in Genesis? Why did the people know that the earth was round before Christopher Columbus? Why is it that when the people went into the tomb of Jesus they found nothing but the shroud. Some of this answers can be answered with a logical explanation, yet some cannot. God is the creator of all things and in the BIBLE he promises you that you will meet him in heaven.

To all you atheist, God loves you and he is just waiting to bless you. You just need to look for him. Don't even go to church just pray a three-second prayer. God works in his own ways so I'm not sure what he wants to do in your life. Just give him a chance to show his Glory.

Terra, Sol

#25320 Apr 8, 2013
Part 1/2
Jonasan wrote:
Without a God, What is our purpose in life."Unless you assume a God, the question of life's purpose is meaningless" Bertrand Russell, atheist. Without God life has no purpose. If you live just to die, then what is the purpose of life.
Biologically speaking: the purpose of life is to reproduce, spread one's genes, and continue the legacy of one's species.

Philosophically speaking: the purpose of life is whatever you make it. People do not need a deity to give their lives purpose. Puppets need a puppeteer to give them purpose, but humans do not.
Jonasan wrote:
Aren't we just like another animal in the waiting line to be slaughtered.
Not in the slightest. We're more like the other animals roaming around in the wilderness that die peacefully in their natural habitats.
Jonasan wrote:
Without God is their a purpose, is their a Life. The answer is, no.
Not true. There very much *is* a purpose without a deity. You just have to cut the strings of religion and walk the path that only a human has the right to walk: the path that you choose for yourself.
Jonasan wrote:
As most of you know my savior Jesus Christ died on intercepting pieces of wood also known as a cross for you and me. If God wasn't real then why did they just recently find evidence about the Great flood it speaks about in Genesis?
They actually *haven't* found any evidence of the flood. Quite the opposite, actually, as the evidence points against the alleged flood. Human records from that era remain completely unbroken, the human genome does not indicate a common ancestor (Noah) that recently in the genetic map, the floral and fossil records don't coincide with the allegation, nor does the geological account. Also: it would require a vast amount of water to accomplish the alleged flood, several times more than exist on the face of the planet. The only even remotely possible chance there is of that water appearing would be to synthesize it from the elements in the surrounding air, the amount of oxygen required leaving the air all but unbreathable and causing the Ark to fail in its purpose when everything asphyxiated. There's also the matter of the animals getting back to their habitats, as the continents were separated; and it's a helluva swim between them. Need I go on?
Jonasan wrote:
Why did the people know that the earth was round before Christopher Columbus?
Because Hellenistic astronomy had suggested this. The Bible, on the other hand, says that the earth is flat.
Jonasan wrote:
Why is it that when the people went into the tomb of Jesus they found nothing but the shroud.
That is a biblical account that remains unverified, as no other sources anywhere verify the claim.

Terra, Sol

#25321 Apr 8, 2013
Jonasan wrote:
Some of this answers can be answered with a logical explanation, yet some cannot.
So far, I've answered all of them.
Jonasan wrote:
God is the creator of all things and in the BIBLE he promises you that you will meet him in heaven.
You mean the Bible that is infamous for contradicting itself countless times?
Examples:
The empty tomb.
"In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre." -Matthew 28:1
"And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him." -Mark 16:1
"The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre." -John 20:1

The last words of Jesus.
"And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, "Eli, eli, lama sabachthani?" that is to say, "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" ...Jesus, when he cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost." -Matthew 27:46-50
"And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, "Father, unto thy hands I commend my spirit:" and having said thus, he gave up the ghost." -Luke 23:46
"When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, "It is finished:" and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost." -John 19:30
Jonasan wrote:
To all you atheist, God loves you and he is just waiting to bless you. You just need to look for him.
I'll pass. I'd rather not live my life as a puppet with no purpose. I rather enjoy being a human and living my life as I see. If I were going to seek out a deity, I'd rather look for a grown-up deity like Wodan, one who prefers you to own up to your actions and live with honor. That would be a deity worth worshiping as opposed to your alleged deity, which throws hissy fits when they don't get their way and throws people into an eternal lake of fire as punishment. That sounds a lot more like a spoiled child. I've got a much more in-depth psycho-analytical analysis of the tyrannical Judeo-Christian deity; but I'll spare the details for the moment.
Jonasan wrote:
Don't even go to church just pray a three-second prayer.
That's three seconds that I could use to donate to a charity or something else that...y'know...WORKS.
Jonasan wrote:
God works in his own ways so I'm not sure what he wants to do in your life. Just give him a chance to show his Glory.
Nah. I think I'll continue walking my own path. I'm not a sheep, so I don't need your shepherd.

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#25322 Apr 8, 2013
BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE REALIZING THAT THEY ARE NOT GODS? AND REALIZE THAT THEY CAN'T HAVE FAITH IN HUMANITY! OR MAYBE REALIZING THAT GOD IS NOT GONNA SAVE THEM ?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#25323 Apr 8, 2013
Jonasan wrote:
To all you atheist, God loves you and he is just waiting to bless you. You just need to look for him. Don't even go to church just pray a three-second prayer. God works in his own ways so I'm not sure what he wants to do in your life. Just give him a chance to show his Glory.
Riiiight.... your god "loves" us, but will TORTURE US FOREVER, if we don't bow and scrape to him as if we were mindless slaves?

Pass. Your god is just a stalker...

“Sombrero Galaxy”

Since: Jan 10

I'm An Illegal Alien

#25324 Apr 9, 2013
Jonasan wrote:
Without a God, What is our purpose in life."Unless you assume a God, the question of life's purpose is meaningless" Bertrand Russell, atheist. Without God life has no purpose. If you live just to die, then what is the purpose of life. Aren't we just like another animal in the waiting line to be slaughtered. Without God is their a purpose, is their a Life.
That is the problem with you theists. You create answers to questions without subjecting your theories to scrutiny. Who is to say that there is a purpose for life? You say that without a purpose that we are just like animals waiting to be slaughtered. But if animal life is without purpose, whose to say that human life cannot be the same?
Jonasan wrote:
The answer is, no. As most of you know my savior Jesus Christ died on intercepting pieces of wood also known as a cross for you and me.
We don;t know that. In fact we don't know if your Jesus existed.
Jonasan wrote:
If God wasn't real then why did they just recently find evidence about the Great flood it speaks about in Genesis? Why is it that when the people went into the tomb of Jesus they found nothing but the shroud.
They found evidence that there may have been a great flood in the Asia minor and parts of the Middle East, but that is no proof of your skydad since many other the share similar stories.
Jonasan wrote:
He clearly does not love me since he has ordered the executions of people of my orientation. He also ordered my ancestors to be obedient to their masters.

Since: Nov 08

usa

#25325 Apr 9, 2013
My personal opinion on the reality of a god existing is based on the fact that you can not prove he does,if what happened 2000+ yrs ago actually happened, you would have more written history about it than anything else that has occurred in mans life time to date,but we have nothing but one set of incomplete scriptures with doubts about who actually wrote them.
Kate

Tampa, FL

#25326 Apr 13, 2013
I am a Christian but I am also skeptical of there really being a god. The way I see it is that how can there be a god that is described as being so forgiving, yet he lets people who were atheists who may have been so nice burn in hell. There is also the question of how was god there before us and what was before god? If god were able to choose what everybody was like before they were born, why would he choose for people to be atheist or is it just a decision he allows people to make. I don't understand why god would make somebody with mental illnesses or problems and just let them die. Why would he put us through the misery of having a loved one die if he could just make everybody healthy.

Since: Nov 08

usa

#25328 Apr 14, 2013
Kate wrote:
I am a Christian but I am also skeptical of there really being a god. The way I see it is that how can there be a god that is described as being so forgiving, yet he lets people who were atheists who may have been so nice burn in hell. There is also the question of how was god there before us and what was before god? If god were able to choose what everybody was like before they were born, why would he choose for people to be atheist or is it just a decision he allows people to make. I don't understand why god would make somebody with mental illnesses or problems and just let them die. Why would he put us through the misery of having a loved one die if he could just make everybody healthy.
that is the plan your not suppose to understand.

“Sombrero Galaxy”

Since: Jan 10

I'm An Illegal Alien

#25329 Apr 14, 2013
Kate wrote:
You are a potential atheist or agnostic. Many of us have come from that stage that you are in now. We have asked the same questions. Christians say that the buy has all the answers. They are right. The buybull reveals how cruel their god is.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#25331 Apr 14, 2013
Oxyseller39 wrote:
God is beautiful
Only in your limited mind.

The god of the bible?

Is just another common terrorist: for the bible-god demands constant ego-stroking, and murders on a whim (including innocent babies).

Moreover, bible-god uses murder as a kind of money: murder in exchange for sin-- first, murder of animals (and only sons and daughters), then later murder of jesus. To "pay" for sins...? WTF?

But the worst thing about bible-god? Is the terrorism: torture of people if they don't stroke bible-god's ego--pretty much all the time.

Not just any torture--but infinite, never-ending torture of the worst sort--

-- that is the opposite of beautiful.

That is...

... ugly.
christianity is EVIL

Dartmouth, Canada

#25333 Apr 14, 2013
Oxyseller39 wrote:
God is beautiful
NOT the xian one thats for sure,thnk goodness its just Imaginary..

www.evilbible.com

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#25334 Apr 15, 2013
NOTHING WRONG WITH BEING HUMAN AND HELPING EACH OTHER OUT ITS WHEN HUMANS TRY AND PLAY GOD

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#25335 Apr 15, 2013
orkin33 wrote:
NOTHING WRONG WITH BEING HUMAN AND HELPING EACH OTHER OUT ITS WHEN HUMANS TRY AND PLAY GOD
You mean, when humans believe in religion?

Oh, and here's a suggestion:

There is a key at the extreme left of your little keyboard. It has two words on it: "caps lock".

Press it **once**. Just once.

Thank you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
No Walls! Don't fence Me In! 7 min Tony 17
secret weapon contributing to global chaos 9 min Haylie2017 7
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 10 min Bongo 99,674
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 53 min bad bob 184,252
Hot Sale Nike Kyrie Irving 3 Basketball Shoes O... 1 hr European resident 3
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr Jehova Witness 619,369
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 1 hr wade2 445,633
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 hr chazmo 286,432
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 hr Rosesz 670,153
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 6 hr nanoanomaly 980,036
More from around the web