Highway bridge falls into Mississippi...

Highway bridge falls into Mississippi River

There are 26 comments on the CNN story from Aug 2, 2007, titled Highway bridge falls into Mississippi River. In it, CNN reports that:

Recovery workers were to begin searching at dawn Thursday for victims missing in a massive bridge collapse that killed at least seven people and sent dozens of vehicles plunging into the Mississippi River.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CNN.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Disgusted Veteran

United States

#1 Aug 2, 2007
Guess where all the money for maintaining our infrastructure went. We, our children, great grand children and beyond will be working for the common good with little income left to support themselves. Time to write a realistic budget and limit government freedom to squander our assets.

“It's 420 here.”

Since: Jun 07

cold comfort farm

#2 Aug 2, 2007
Disgusted Veteran wrote:
Guess where all the money for maintaining our infrastructure went. We, our children, great grand children and beyond will be working for the common good with little income left to support themselves. Time to write a realistic budget and limit government freedom to squander our assets.
AMEN!
dennis the menace

United States

#3 Aug 2, 2007
President Bush is surely at fault. The bridge is 40 years old and there is no way the engineers could not have known there was going to be a problem. They check it annually and were repairing parts of it. So it must have been the Presidents fault, but wait no, it could have some from the senate possibly hillary who took money that should have gone to the bridge to one of her pork barrel projects.

After thinking about this, I believe hillary is at fault.

I just heard a journalist trying to imply that it was the presidents fault. He is asking what happened to all the money that goes to high way repair. He was trying to get the individual to say it was the presidents fault because of Iraq. These journalists are politicians also.

What happened to all the BLM money to fight fires out west. I still think the hamms should bring CNN TV News out west and PEE on one of these fires. We should be able to see her squatting from an opening in a helicopter. I really think she could get a great number of votes.

Pelosi and Reid have forgotten they live out west and they can pee on the fire. Especially Pelosi.
far away

Auburn Hills, MI

#4 Aug 2, 2007
FORGET ABOUT PELOSI! WHY WOULD SHE CARE??

“why did I miss this?”

Since: May 07

lapeer, Michigan

#5 Aug 2, 2007
Funny that they found problems with this bridge in past inspections, yet wouldn't spend money to fix it. Now it's too late. Our government system is wasting our tax money. The money they get on gasoline alone should be able to make roads and bridges safe for us. but they don't care. My heart pains for the victims and people they left behind. We all need to appreciate every day we have, we never know when it could be our last. peace.
fedup

Burlington, VT

#6 Aug 2, 2007
Disgusted Veteran wrote:
Where does all the money go....to build roads and bridges in Iraq and than have them blown up again!

Where does all the money go.....to build a bridge to nowhere in Alaska, gotta keep the lobbyist happy!

Where does all the money go....to build a Super Highway for Mexico across the farmlands so the truckers can deliver their goods faster!

Than he has the Goal to give a half ass news brief on TV to tell the victims I'll say a prayer for you...they don't need prayers Georgie than need safe road and bridges to travel on every day to go to work so they can pay their taxes while you play cowboys in Texas. Leave the prayers to their religious leaders and friends.

After that brief statement he whines about the Congress going on Vacation instead of passing his Bills. Well, Georgie they are just following your past examples during a time of crisis.

Why wasn't he upset over the Iraqi Leaders who took off on a Vacation?

The latest news report he is sending Laura to do his dirty work, always hiding behind Mommy's apron string like a little boy!
Bill R

Mccleary, WA

#7 Aug 2, 2007
fedup wrote:
<quoted text>
Where does all the money go....to build roads and bridges in Iraq and than have them blown up again!
Where does all the money go.....to build a bridge to nowhere in Alaska, gotta keep the lobbyist happy!
Where does all the money go....to build a Super Highway for Mexico across the farmlands so the truckers can deliver their goods faster!
Than he has the Goal to give a half ass news brief on TV to tell the victims I'll say a prayer for you...they don't need prayers Georgie than need safe road and bridges to travel on every day to go to work so they can pay their taxes while you play cowboys in Texas. Leave the prayers to their religious leaders and friends.
After that brief statement he whines about the Congress going on Vacation instead of passing his Bills. Well, Georgie they are just following your past examples during a time of crisis.
Why wasn't he upset over the Iraqi Leaders who took off on a Vacation?
The latest news report he is sending Laura to do his dirty work, always hiding behind Mommy's apron string like a little boy!
Thank you for helping me win a wager. I bet that
it would be less than a week before some "notable"
person would inevitably blame Bush for the
bridge collapse and, while you are not "notable"
you mention those who apparently have played
the usual political game, pandering during a time
of difficulty.
There is a word for them .... "whores."
I hope you understand that the day a Democrat
gets elected, he or she becomes responsible for
everything ... sort of like God.
Geez, I wish you folks would just grow up.

Since: Mar 07

United States

#8 Aug 2, 2007
Thank you...NO TAXES VOTERS!

We can expect it all to fall apart over the next few decades, all due to the greedy voters supporting fools in office. Let some intelligent people run the place for a change.
worried

Park River, ND

#9 Aug 2, 2007
dennis the menace wrote:
President Bush is surely at fault. The bridge is 40 years old and there is no way the engineers could not have known there was going to be a problem. They check it annually and were repairing parts of it. So it must have been the Presidents fault, but wait no, it could have some from the senate possibly hillary who took money that should have gone to the bridge to one of her pork barrel projects.
After thinking about this, I believe hillary is at fault.
I just heard a journalist trying to imply that it was the presidents fault. He is asking what happened to all the money that goes to high way repair. He was trying to get the individual to say it was the presidents fault because of Iraq. These journalists are politicians also.
What happened to all the BLM money to fight fires out west. I still think the hamms should bring CNN TV News out west and PEE on one of these fires. We should be able to see her squatting from an opening in a helicopter. I really think she could get a great number of votes.
Pelosi and Reid have forgotten they live out west and they can pee on the fire. Especially Pelosi.
Response....
You are not only ignorant, but embarrassing to read...And it's people with your mentality that put Bush into office in the first place....And this is not a thank you, nor a compliment....
Take your bow...And put the blame where it belongs.........People with low intellect attack with nothing more helpful than calling names and throwing insults...If you have something intelligent to say I'm all ears....
Disgusted

Park River, ND

#10 Aug 2, 2007
New at this but here goes...dennis the menace
Once again, you are not only ignorant, but embarrassing to read...And this is not a thank you, nor a compliment...
Take your bow...And put the blame where it belongs...People with low intellect, attack with nothing more helpful than calling names and throwing insults...If you something intelligent to say with facts to back it up...I am all ears....
Mario Delgado

Hillsborough, NC

#11 Aug 2, 2007
yeah. more tax cuts. yeah.

“It Ain't Easy Being Me”

Since: Jun 07

Minneapolis, MN

#12 Aug 2, 2007
Bill R wrote:
<quoted text>
of difficulty.
I couldn't have said it better myself. Thank you.
Disgusted

Park River, ND

#13 Aug 2, 2007
Bill R wrote:
<quoted text>
of difficulty.
Response #2
They won't grow up...It's easier to place blame and do nothing.....Goodness, I wonder how Bush won the presidency anyway...Somehow it happened! Who's going to stand up and take responsibility?
For a while there I was beginning to think that I was the only one who didn't vote for him!!! smile
PollM

Dallas, TX

#14 Aug 2, 2007
We've had the best economic expansion in decades, unfortunately we've wasted all of it on picking fights around the world and never spent a dime on strengthening our home land infrastructure. What a disgrace, the cost Iraq war will me felt for the next 10 years and counting (1 trillion dollars). This is money should have been spent on AMERICA, I hope you agree - let all your politicians know http://www.youpolls.com/details.asp... shame on them
Veritas

United States

#15 Aug 2, 2007
If this is the best that my tax dollars can buy.... I want my money back!!!
truthteller

Montréal, Canada

#16 Aug 2, 2007
I'm sure the people lying at the bottom of the Mississippi are relieved to hear that trillions dollars are being spent fighting needless wars oceans away while the bridge they were on just killed them. Isn't Bush due for another Vacation in Crawford soon?

Since: Mar 07

United States

#17 Aug 2, 2007
Veritas wrote:
If this is the best that my tax dollars can buy.... I want my money back!!!
That's why I file for unemployment every chance I get. If our government does not want to collect taxes to do the job right, then I want ALL of it back. No half-a55 jobs anymore.

The Prez candidate that says, "Read my lips. MORE TAXES!" gets my vote.
michael

Sebastian, FL

#18 Aug 2, 2007
If a candidate Rep., Dem. or Ind. will step up to the plate on rebuilding our infastructure , all of it , they have got my vote ! This country has been falling apart for a while yet we are rebuilding a another , your tax dollars at work !
michael

Sebastian, FL

#19 Aug 2, 2007
I forgot , the people out west need help with the fires out west too , NOW !
michael

Sebastian, FL

#20 Aug 2, 2007
jimwings wrote:
Funny that they found problems with this bridge in past inspections, yet wouldn't spend money to fix it. Now it's too late. Our government system is wasting our tax money. The money they get on gasoline alone should be able to make roads and bridges safe for us. but they don't care. My heart pains for the victims and people they left behind. We all need to appreciate every day we have, we never know when it could be our last. peace.
aGREED!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 3 min Triple Fine 104,581
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 min The Hangman 969,833
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 5 min It aint necessari... 37,349
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 8 min Steve III 641,073
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 8 min LAWEST100 618,286
Why do black children behave worse in school th... (Sep '10) 12 min hig_df 396
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 16 min WasteWater 18,645
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 3 hr who 280,849
More from around the web