|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2013

Judged:

macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, and I'd actually regard that as a sensible wildlife management strategy.
It is sensible-- and it generates much-needed revenue for the park.

But it is also sad that they have such limited space-- the numbers are a fraction of what they once were.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2013

Judged:

water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text> I'm a real fan of fresh veggies and fruit, but I do eat meat in small portions. Fish and chicken mostly. Fish are good and a good source of all sorts of Omega3 and other good things for you. Chicken is just a staple in the South. What can I say?
Bring me a cow. I already have a sharp knife and a blowtorch.

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2013

water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text> My husband and I took part in sausage making (and all other pork preparation for the year) with his folks and then my folks. It was several weeks of very intensive work. The men salted down hams etc and did the smoking. The women made the sausage and packaged everything. Very little went into the freezer. Most of it was canned. We also used to can whole chickens on a fairly regular basis. Long, productive days with lots of family meals and lots of catching up on what all the family was doing.
Good times.
I remeber doing that with my Grams.

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2013

water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text> I grew up in a family that hunted. There was never any trophy game though. It all went in the freezer and was eaten. I'd tag along with my dad because I loved being with him, but I hated the actual kill. I couldn't watch him field dress anything. But my mom and I did the fishing and we cleaned everything we caught and put it in the freezer. I can still filet a fish faster than most people, and do when I go fishing. However, I still can't eat fish the same day I catch and clean them. I have to wait a few days for it to clear my memory.
As a young person, my family and my husband's family raised all our own meat, had chickens for meat and eggs and cows for milk. No homogenizing of milk in those days. It was half cream in the milk container. We made butter and had buttermilk as a result. That makes the best southern biscuits ever. But nothing was wasted.
I look at what friends and others waste now and it absolutely hurts my heart. I'll give food to neighbors and my kids before I will let it go to waste. I still make jellies and jams and homemade bread on a regular basis. Every time I peel apples for a pie, I get a jar of apple jelly out of the peelings and cores. I always have a jar in the refrigerator.
I used almost everything I killed - coyotes for the fur, even.

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2013

Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
It is sensible-- and it generates much-needed revenue for the park.
But it is also sad that they have such limited space-- the numbers are a fraction of what they once were.
That is, alas, unfortunate.

But one is reminded of the county in, I think, Connecticut, which banned all hunting.

Within 2 years, there was a massive population boom, and within 5, there were dead deer everywhere.

Remember the history of Yellowstone Park? One disaster after another, and they still don't have it right.

Since: Aug 10

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2013

macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>I actually don't know - but hunting seasons are usually in the fall/winter. There are no actual fawns then.
And were it not for recreational hunting, there'd be a massive population boom, followed by a catastrophic crash.
It has happened.
That's a 'polite' way of putting it Mac.....but
Just because something is necessary does'nt always make it right. I look at it as fall out. We killed the wolves, almost to extinction, to spare the farmer's livestock.
Man strikes again! The deer must feel like the Indians....run off and confined.
As for fawns, I've seen them in July....and just last October I saw a number of Yearlings.
Damn...... why not just kill the yearlings for their tender meat.
If you know you killed the mother why not kill the yearling.....it's only going to starve anyway.
Hunting must be regulated and enforced within all the limits of the law.
But as we all know.......laws are made to be broken.

http://www.nativeanimalrescue.org/understandi...

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2013

Topix changed my ISP three times in a week.
What gives? I did'nt go anywhere. I have'nt lived in the city for at least twenty years.

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2013

<quoted text>
Ever since Ronnie-Ray-gun de-regulated things?
Most meats sold in the US are no longer government inspected.
At best? It's "self inspected"... right. That works so well...
Care to elaborate?
http://ucfoodsafety.ucdavis.edu/files/26481.p...
http://www.meatsafety.org/ht/d/sp/i/26606/pid...

I've never gotten food poisoning and if I did......I'd sue! LOL

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2013

water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text> I wasn't having any complications until I took a fall. Tore the ligaments and tendons in that knee. It's worse than having the surgery for sure, but I'm moving back along the track to healing now. the last month has been a real trial in self-determination. Seems I have plenty after all.:)
Sounds like someone was over-confident.
Baby steps is a must!
Good to see you 'lighting up' the threads again.

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2013

water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text> My husband and I took part in sausage making (and all other pork preparation for the year) with his folks and then my folks. It was several weeks of very intensive work. The men salted down hams etc and did the smoking. The women made the sausage and packaged everything. Very little went into the freezer. Most of it was canned. We also used to can whole chickens on a fairly regular basis. Long, productive days with lots of family meals and lots of catching up on what all the family was doing.
Good times.
When I was young we used to go mushroom hunting
The bathtub was half full with mushrooms.lol
My Grandfather would 'pack' the mushrooms in one quart mason jars.
They would'nt swish back and forth in the jar no matter how old they were. Over the years out of all the jars...we only got one bad one. The man knew what he was doing.
Try that with any jar of anything nowadays.
Watch them swish back and forth.lol

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2013

middleman1 wrote:
<quoted text>That's a 'polite' way of putting it Mac.....but
Just because something is necessary does'nt always make it right. I look at it as fall out. We killed the wolves, almost to extinction, to spare the farmer's livestock.
Man strikes again! The deer must feel like the Indians....run off and confined.
As for fawns, I've seen them in July....and just last October I saw a number of Yearlings.
Damn...... why not just kill the yearlings for their tender meat.
If you know you killed the mother why not kill the yearling.....it's only going to starve anyway.
Hunting must be regulated and enforced within all the limits of the law.
But as we all know.......laws are made to be broken.
http://www.nativeanimalrescue.org/understandi...
Oh, I'm not arguing about regulation!

Licenses, quotas and seasons, absolutely!

(Although I do know of a coupla cases where deer were taken out of season, for hunger's sake. I'm prepared to let that slide.)

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2013

middleman1 wrote:
<quoted text>When I was young we used to go mushroom hunting
The bathtub was half full with mushrooms.lol
My Grandfather would 'pack' the mushrooms in one quart mason jars.
They would'nt swish back and forth in the jar no matter how old they were. Over the years out of all the jars...we only got one bad one. The man knew what he was doing.
Try that with any jar of anything nowadays.
Watch them swish back and forth.lol
I could recognize exactly one species of 'shroom as harmless.

Used to pick a ton of 'em every fall.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2013

Judged:

water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text> I think I must have been privileged or either I could make my money go further than anyone else. I can still make money go further than most people.
I learned how to stretch my dollars in College. Saltine cracker with jelly was one of many things you learned.

When it's that or a glass of tepid water from the bathroom tap?

:)

These days? I budget food first, everything else is behind that. So I eat out as I please, but I'm reasonably frugal where I do eat out, and I try to avoid the fried stuff whenever possible.

Life is too short as it is.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2013

Judged:

water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text> I'm a real fan of fresh veggies and fruit, but I do eat meat in small portions. Fish and chicken mostly. Fish are good and a good source of all sorts of Omega3 and other good things for you. Chicken is just a staple in the South. What can I say?
Fish would be nice-- alas, I'm allergic to most varieties, so I avoid it, apart from tuna.

And now, they tell me too much tuna is too much mercury....meh.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2013

Judged:

water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text> I grew up in a family that hunted. There was never any trophy game though. It all went in the freezer and was eaten. I'd tag along with my dad because I loved being with him, but I hated the actual kill. I couldn't watch him field dress anything. But my mom and I did the fishing and we cleaned everything we caught and put it in the freezer. I can still filet a fish faster than most people, and do when I go fishing. However, I still can't eat fish the same day I catch and clean them. I have to wait a few days for it to clear my memory.
As a young person, my family and my husband's family raised all our own meat, had chickens for meat and eggs and cows for milk. No homogenizing of milk in those days. It was half cream in the milk container. We made butter and had buttermilk as a result. That makes the best southern biscuits ever. But nothing was wasted.
I look at what friends and others waste now and it absolutely hurts my heart. I'll give food to neighbors and my kids before I will let it go to waste. I still make jellies and jams and homemade bread on a regular basis. Every time I peel apples for a pie, I get a jar of apple jelly out of the peelings and cores. I always have a jar in the refrigerator.
You so remind me of my maternal grandmother-- she was always canning this or that.

You ever had tomato butter?(It's a kind of sweet tomato preserve, similar in texture to applesauce, but more tomatoey... mmmm...) Spread that on hot biscuit with real creamery butter? <Homer Simpson drooling>

Of course, we had canned apples, peaches, blackberries-- you name it-- if it would grow in Missouri, my grandmother would pick it and can it.

Lived all her days, apart from the last couple of three years, on a farm.

My step grandfather eventually passed away on that very same farm, just shy of 100.

I haven't been back [to that farm] in years, though-- I'm told it's pretty decrepit, so I'd rather not.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2013

macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>That is, alas, unfortunate.
But one is reminded of the county in, I think, Connecticut, which banned all hunting.
Within 2 years, there was a massive population boom, and within 5, there were dead deer everywhere.
Remember the history of Yellowstone Park? One disaster after another, and they still don't have it right.
Yes... nature cannot be "managed" no matter how much you may try.

It's life **and** death-- both are needed to make it all go.

As for Yellowstone? Well.... one of these days? It'll blow it's top-- it's long past due.

That'll wipe out everything in the park, and most of NW America too.

If the N. American continent still had it's load of wild animals? Such a happening would be but a blip on life's map.

But since it's mostly humans and their symbionts (cows, rats, etc), when Yellowstone blows, it will eradicate quite a number of unique species.

A tragic loss, for sure-- not that anyone will notice or care at that point--being too busy trying to survive the "nuclear" winter that Yellowstone's eruption will make. 3-10 years of super-cold winter and cold summer before it reverses itself. Or so they tell me from the historic records in the rocks.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2013

middleman1 wrote:
<quoted text>Care to elaborate?
http://ucfoodsafety.ucdavis.edu/files/26481.p...
http://www.meatsafety.org/ht/d/sp/i/26606/pid...
I've never gotten food poisoning and if I did......I'd sue! LOL
Meat used to be tightly regulated, and was watched over by the Feds, using random, surprise inspections.

This is not possible today, as there are so few inspectors, that they travel a well-established route, and everyone knows when the next "surprise" inspection is due-- so they may get ready and hide anything out of spec.

Chickens are even worse than beef-- there is almost no chicken inspections these days at all. Not that there was all that much before, but with the gutting of the FDA inspection budget by Ronald Ray-Gun Reagan, and not restored by Bill Hide-the-cigar Clinton, and cut even more by George Invade-the-wrong-country Bush...

... FDA approval is a joke.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2013

Judged:

Oh looky!

My covert stalker is using jugicons on my posts again.

How Christian.

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
Meat used to be tightly regulated, and was watched over by the Feds, using random, surprise inspections.
This is not possible today, as there are so few inspectors, that they travel a well-established route, and everyone knows when the next "surprise" inspection is due-- so they may get ready and hide anything out of spec.
Chickens are even worse than beef-- there is almost no chicken inspections these days at all. Not that there was all that much before, but with the gutting of the FDA inspection budget by Ronald Ray-Gun Reagan, and not restored by Bill Hide-the-cigar Clinton, and cut even more by George Invade-the-wrong-country Bush...
... FDA approval is a joke.
I see you got the icon demon on your heels.LOL

C-mon Bob.....It's common knowledge that Reagan was the Best thing to happen to this country after Nixon.

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2013

Oh looky!
My covert stalker is using jugicons on my posts again.
How Christian.
You ever try Crepes
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brow...
I roll em up with sugar

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 2,521 - 2,540 of2,593
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

478 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 2 min Sheilaa 109,332
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 8 min Rosa_Winkel 216,175
Hot gays in Abu Dhabi 24 min hiiiiii 32
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 25 min pusherman_ 511,526
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 27 min Rosa_Winkel 596,437
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 28 min Rosa_Winkel 679,096
MICROSOFT OFFICE 2013 PERMANENT ACTIVATOR free ... (Nov '12) 36 min Jessic 29
Girls snapchat names?(dirty) 4 hr Hdogg07 213
teen snapchat nudes 4 hr Oscar 102
•••
•••
•••