First Hoplite Church

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2563 Nov 5, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>I actually don't know - but hunting seasons are usually in the fall/winter. There are no actual fawns then.
And were it not for recreational hunting, there'd be a massive population boom, followed by a catastrophic crash.
It has happened.
Indeed it has.

The program in Oklahoma, way down south in a preserve called The Wichita Mountains Preserve, there are several large herds of American Bison(buffalo). The largest outside of the Yellowstone, as far as I know.

But.

Since there are no longer any real predators that can go up against these animals? They soon over-populate the park.

And have to be culled. It's sad-- but it's part of life in a limited space, without natural limits (wolves, mountain lions, etc).

They do this in that park, by selling lottery tickets-- then have a drawing to see who gets a chance to shoot one.

It's not really a hunt, as the ones being culled are herded away from the rest of the animals, into a special area. It's really just a chance to "target practice" at a defenseless animal...meh.

But, it **does** generate a lot of money for the park's programs. I do not know if the shooter gets to keep the meat or not-- but they are typically old anyhow. Stew meat at best.

I don't know of a better method, though-- the animals **must** be killed, or the whole park will suffer for it.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#2564 Nov 5, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed it has.
The program in Oklahoma, way down south in a preserve called The Wichita Mountains Preserve, there are several large herds of American Bison(buffalo). The largest outside of the Yellowstone, as far as I know.
But.
Since there are no longer any real predators that can go up against these animals? They soon over-populate the park.
And have to be culled. It's sad-- but it's part of life in a limited space, without natural limits (wolves, mountain lions, etc).
They do this in that park, by selling lottery tickets-- then have a drawing to see who gets a chance to shoot one.
It's not really a hunt, as the ones being culled are herded away from the rest of the animals, into a special area. It's really just a chance to "target practice" at a defenseless animal...meh.
But, it **does** generate a lot of money for the park's programs. I do not know if the shooter gets to keep the meat or not-- but they are typically old anyhow. Stew meat at best.
I don't know of a better method, though-- the animals **must** be killed, or the whole park will suffer for it.
"Culling" and "hunting" are not quite the same thing - but both are necessary.

Wolves being all thin on the ground these days.

The Borderland of Sol

#2565 Nov 5, 2013
<quoted text>
Indeed it has.
But.
Oh, and I'd actually regard that as a sensible wildlife management strategy.

“Game Over”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#2566 Nov 5, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, and I'd actually regard that as a sensible wildlife management strategy.
It makes me sad.

The Borderland of Sol

#2567 Nov 5, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
It makes me sad.
It does me, too.

But it's a matter of numbers. Too many, and the disease and die-off are inevitable.

“Game Over”

Location hidden

#2568 Nov 5, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>It does me, too.
But it's a matter of numbers. Too many, and the disease and die-off are inevitable.
Poor dumb animals. They're gonna die.

Let's shoot em before they die, Junior !!!!

Haell yes.

-_- << Asian indifference face

The Borderland of Sol

#2569 Nov 5, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Haell yes.
I know we're apt to disagree on this point, but absent natural controls, the numbers need to be kept down somehow.

And, frankly, I enjoy both the hunt and the meat.

“Game Over”

Location hidden

#2570 Nov 5, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>I know we're apt to disagree on this point, but absent natural controls, the numbers need to be kept down somehow.
And, frankly, I enjoy both the hunt and the meat.
What we may differ on is the natural controls.

I don't disagree with killing the prey. I disagree with killing the predators.

I'll take my chances with lions and wolves and bears, oh my.

We have a plague. Kill the cats.

The Borderland of Sol

#2571 Nov 6, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
What we may differ on is the natural controls.
I don't disagree with killing the prey. I disagree with killing the predators.
I'll take my chances with lions and wolves and bears, oh my.
We have a plague. Kill the cats.
Oh, I'm with you on that!

I occasionally see coyotes and foxes here, but wolves, bears and panthers are most gone and mourned. By me, anyway.

And by all means kill the cats - everyone knows that they're witches' familiars, and that's how the plague is spreading.

Pay no attention to those rats.

(You didn't think that reference would get by ME, did you? Laffin.)

“Game Over”

Location hidden

#2572 Nov 6, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, I'm with you on that!
I occasionally see coyotes and foxes here, but wolves, bears and panthers are most gone and mourned. By me, anyway.
And by all means kill the cats - everyone knows that they're witches' familiars, and that's how the plague is spreading.
Pay no attention to those rats.
(You didn't think that reference would get by ME, did you? Laffin.)
The biggest plague to ever hit this planet is still spreading. I call them humans.

Even Teh God can't stomp them out. Woe be we.

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#2573 Nov 6, 2013
middleman1 wrote:
<quoted text>Knee surgery can be complicated. I hope you have a full recovery.
I wasn't having any complications until I took a fall. Tore the ligaments and tendons in that knee. It's worse than having the surgery for sure, but I'm moving back along the track to healing now. the last month has been a real trial in self-determination. Seems I have plenty after all.:)

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#2574 Nov 6, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I do. One child at a time.
So far, no power in the 'Verse can stop me.
I teach English to orphaned Chinese children so that they can impress prospective parents looking to adopt. It works. I'm very good at it.
Bless you. Anyone who helps children lead a better life is in my book of good folk.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#2575 Nov 6, 2013
<quoted text>
Good for you!
Now... if we could only teach Chinese to the Americans-- so they can understand the language of the people who will eventually own all their land...
;)
You got that right. Maybe they will restore our education system, though.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#2576 Nov 6, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I've never had a hot dog.
You make it sound almost religious.
In the US the hot dog is held in absolute reverence. I'm surprised the Catholic church has not given it sainthood.

When I was in school we would go to a GA game and go directly to the Varsity afterwards. There was no question of what we'd have, just what we'd have on it.

They are still in business and every time I get up that way I have to have a dog just for old times sake. The 'What'll you have? What'll you have?' still rings out to each customer. There are employees that have been there 40 years plus now. We knew every person who worked the front line, but took no more time than to say 'Hi, Miss/Mr_________' They were to busy to converse.

Here's a site that gives you some info about the Varsity. It has ever been one of my favorite places for a quick (very quick) meal. It moves so fast you really don't want to stand there thinking about what you want to order. If you don't know, you don't get in line. You stand back and look at the menu and write it down so you can read it off as fast as possible, then get the heck out of the way when you pay. They'll call you when your food is ready.
http://vagabond3.com/best-hot-dogs/

Here's a partial list of how to order at the Varsity:
http://www.foodiebuddha.com/2009/03/10/the-de...

I usually get a slaw dog (Walk through the garden) with an FO (frosted Varsity orange) sideways (order of onion rings on the side. Love it and don't care about the calories at all when I eat it.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#2577 Nov 6, 2013
<quoted text>
Yes... that. Saltine crackers for "dessert"...with little packets of jelly on--when you could get them.
I think I must have been privileged or either I could make my money go further than anyone else. I can still make money go further than most people.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#2578 Nov 6, 2013
<quoted text>
:)
I can respect that-- I tried several different veagan versions a number of years back.
I went totally meatless--not even eggs and/or cheese. That didn't work very well, as I had some problems with protein deficiency.
So I added back in cheese and eggs, and stuck with it for several years.
I did not consciously quit-- it was a gradual thing for me. But I still try to minimize my meat intake--most folk eat way more than they need for good health.
Perhaps I should give it another go... unfortunately, I found it more expensive to be meatless, than not. And budget is tight in the wintertime.
I'm a real fan of fresh veggies and fruit, but I do eat meat in small portions. Fish and chicken mostly. Fish are good and a good source of all sorts of Omega3 and other good things for you. Chicken is just a staple in the South. What can I say?

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#2579 Nov 6, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I had a tender loin of dear earlier.
No crock pot required.
We supplied our own heat.
;-)
The very best kind.:)

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#2580 Nov 6, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
You're a gracious host.
I apologise for my behaviour.
Everybody knows that I'm not quite right, right?
Being 'not quite right' is required here. If someone calls you normal, it's fightin' words.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#2581 Nov 6, 2013
middleman1 wrote:
<quoted text>Sounds good. When I'm home, I like my fresh sausage fried in vegetable oil with American fries on the side.
As I cut it I dip each chunk in applesauce.....same with breaded pork chops.
Years ago I used to know someone who made their own sausage.He had a sausage maker.....It's was simply fantastic.
My husband and I took part in sausage making (and all other pork preparation for the year) with his folks and then my folks. It was several weeks of very intensive work. The men salted down hams etc and did the smoking. The women made the sausage and packaged everything. Very little went into the freezer. Most of it was canned. We also used to can whole chickens on a fairly regular basis. Long, productive days with lots of family meals and lots of catching up on what all the family was doing.
Good times.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#2582 Nov 6, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Haell yes.
I grew up in a family that hunted. There was never any trophy game though. It all went in the freezer and was eaten. I'd tag along with my dad because I loved being with him, but I hated the actual kill. I couldn't watch him field dress anything. But my mom and I did the fishing and we cleaned everything we caught and put it in the freezer. I can still filet a fish faster than most people, and do when I go fishing. However, I still can't eat fish the same day I catch and clean them. I have to wait a few days for it to clear my memory.

As a young person, my family and my husband's family raised all our own meat, had chickens for meat and eggs and cows for milk. No homogenizing of milk in those days. It was half cream in the milk container. We made butter and had buttermilk as a result. That makes the best southern biscuits ever. But nothing was wasted.

I look at what friends and others waste now and it absolutely hurts my heart. I'll give food to neighbors and my kids before I will let it go to waste. I still make jellies and jams and homemade bread on a regular basis. Every time I peel apples for a pie, I get a jar of apple jelly out of the peelings and cores. I always have a jar in the refrigerator.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 min confrinting with ... 649,725
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 6 min Nohweh 55,828
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 38 min stockton CA 281,470
What do u think of Jesus Christ?(God) (Oct '06) 45 min HE LIVES 70,224
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 54 min andet1987 2,284
Rotherham sheff doncaster sex 1 hr Hussain 1
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 2 hr Halle Berry Sister 3,728
Moms having sex with their sons (Aug '12) 17 hr Noname 69
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 23 hr Hangman 972,378
More from around the web