First Hoplite Church

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#2522 Oct 27, 2013
Jenji wrote:
OK here's a weaponry question for you;
why were they called "the Three Musketeers"...
when none of them carried a musket?
They all had swords, or perhaps they were sabres.
I guess "the three swordsmen" doesn't roll off the tongue as well-LoL!
Those dratted things were too heavy and ungainly to lug about, day-to-day. They'd actually be carried and used only in an actual battle.

The Borderland of Sol

#2523 Oct 27, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Good one! Of course, in those days, a musket was a one-shot deal-- it took too long to load to be worth more than a single shot.
And many times? Even then, the shot may not work-- unreliable as they were.
A little later in time, a well-trained British soldier could get off three shots a minute. Still horribly inaccurate, but impressive.

That all changed with rifled barrels, metallic cartridges, and smokeless powder.
Dr shrink

Baltimore, MD

#2524 Oct 27, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>A little later in time, a well-trained British soldier could get off three shots a minute. Still horribly inaccurate, but impressive.
That all changed with rifled barrels, metallic cartridges, and smokeless powder.
you poor atheistic Dunda,
in reality have not clue who you are at all,
he heeeeeeeee,8 languages ,bristish soldier,scientist,linguist, theologian ,scholar, doctor,ingineure,goof, and who else oooo
antropolog, archeolog, Hare Krishna, Buddha,atheist,secular humanist..........

only Mutts from Internet posess all kind of top educaations,but their haluciantions and Lies make them little POS CYBER TROLLS WITHOUT OF ANY ON LINE HIGH SCHOOL 2 WEEKS COURSES

HE HEEEEEEEEEE MALAKIJA

very soon you be president of African Country of all frauds Cote de Ivoire with Abidjan Capitol of all frauds

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2525 Oct 28, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>A little later in time, a well-trained British soldier could get off three shots a minute. Still horribly inaccurate, but impressive.
Indeed-- training was the key.

But... in after-battle examinations of the debris left behind? It was not uncommon to find abandoned rifles with 2 or 3 or more reloads-- and none having been fired.

The solider was trained to reload-- but for whatever reason, the gun was never fired between reloads...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2526 Oct 28, 2013
Oh looky! Someone left a pile of religion on the doorstep.

I'll get the bucket, bleach and a mop.

( and we all know who it was-- from the ISP...)

The Borderland of Sol

#2527 Oct 28, 2013
<quoted text>
Indeed-- training was the key.
But... in after-battle examinations of the debris left behind? It was not uncommon to find abandoned rifles with 2 or 3 or more reloads-- and none having been fired.
The solider was trained to reload-- but for whatever reason, the gun was never fired between reloads...
ah. I the cap popped, or the pan flashed, reloading was almost automatic.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#2528 Oct 28, 2013
<quoted text>
Chinese products are a mixed bag: some of it is acceptable, others is not.
The problem is? You can never tell which is which-- well, some of it is all bad, and that is pretty easy to tell (price, is one signal).
But the stuff that is good? Is not **consistently** good-- quite often, you'll get a bad batch mixed in with the acceptable stuff.
This is because of rampant corruption in the quality control aspect--sometimes, their quality control is functioning as it should, and the products are acceptable. But other times?(seemingly at random) the quality control is hijacked by corruption at all levels-- then, the products become hit-or-miss.
I have had to deal with chinese products even though I'd prefer not to-- but sometimes, the replacement parts **only** come from china-- so you learn to **test** each and every one.
... but the Chinese government does own much of the US debt, which was the source of my previous comment.
Only because they HAVE to.
I think it's simply amazing how 2 countries can have such power over one another.
If one goes, they both go......along with the world.

With us on top!!

Yeah baby!

http://useconomy.about.com/od/worldeconomy/p/...

Location hidden

#2529 Oct 28, 2013
I did'nt mean to shout.
'have'

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2530 Oct 28, 2013
middleman1 wrote:
I did'nt mean to shout.
'have'
:)

Location hidden

#2531 Nov 3, 2013
Grabbed a dog the other day and asked for everything on it. Clint says it best......

I have'nt had ketchup on a hotdog since I was seven years old!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2532 Nov 3, 2013
middleman1 wrote:
Grabbed a dog the other day and asked for everything on it. Clint says it best......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Xz84GKxy7b0XX
I have'nt had ketchup on a hotdog since I was seven years old!

I have-- just to mix it up. Back in college, when money was so tight, that popcorn was my evening meal, I would occasionally get a pack of 'dogs on sale, and a loaf of day-old bread....

... and I'd make those last for days-- but to mix up the flavors? Ketchup, mustard, salt/pepper, mayonnaise, salad dressings of many different sorts (those little packets are lovely for that).

Even to this day, I sometimes make a hot dog on a single piece of bread-- for nostalgia's sake-- my most common "recipe" was mayo with lots and lots of pepper...

... aaah... food from when we were **really** poor.

:D

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#2533 Nov 3, 2013
<quoted text>
I have-- just to mix it up. Back in college, when money was so tight, that popcorn was my evening meal, I would occasionally get a pack of 'dogs on sale, and a loaf of day-old bread....
... and I'd make those last for days-- but to mix up the flavors? Ketchup, mustard, salt/pepper, mayonnaise, salad dressings of many different sorts (those little packets are lovely for that).
Even to this day, I sometimes make a hot dog on a single piece of bread-- for nostalgia's sake-- my most common "recipe" was mayo with lots and lots of pepper...
kraft dinner with ketchup and milk

on a good day wieners too

“Game Over”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#2534 Nov 3, 2013
<quoted text>
I've never had a hot dog.

You make it sound almost religious.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2535 Nov 3, 2013
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
kraft dinner with ketchup and milk
on a good day wieners too
Yes... that. Saltine crackers for "dessert"...with little packets of jelly on--when you could get them.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2536 Nov 3, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I've never had a hot dog.
You make it sound almost religious.

Nostalgia will do that to you-- the taste is ... somewhat SPAM-like.(yes, the real canned "meat" product)

But the **memories** that eating an el-cheapo hot dog, diagonally on a piece of bread-- and nothing else but a bit of mayo spread and loads of pepper?

The **memories** that can dredge up.

As a kid? When we were in Tulsa the first time around? My parents were fairly typical-- living to the extent of their single income, and we'd "treat" ourselves to a McDonald's hamburger on Tuesdays-- back then? A local Micky-D's had a special on-- their original 'burgers were only 10 cents on Tuesdays. This would've been in the late '60s, so a dollar went much farther than today.

But my dad would buy a bag of 10 cent burgers, bring it home, and we'd all "boost" it up with more pickles, fresh garden tomato slices, raw onion, what-have-you.

Back then? It was heaven-- even though the burgers my mom made were thicker, better-tasting and so on.

But "store bought" burgers *was* a kind of treat to us kids-- Something Different.

“Game Over”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#2537 Nov 4, 2013
<quoted text>
Nostalgia will do that to you-- the taste is ... somewhat SPAM-like.(yes, the real canned "meat" product)
But the **memories** that eating an el-cheapo hot dog, diagonally on a piece of bread-- and nothing else but a bit of mayo spread and loads of pepper?
The **memories** that can dredge up.
As a kid? When we were in Tulsa the first time around? My parents were fairly typical-- living to the extent of their single income, and we'd "treat" ourselves to a McDonald's hamburger on Tuesdays-- back then? A local Micky-D's had a special on-- their original 'burgers were only 10 cents on Tuesdays. This would've been in the late '60s, so a dollar went much farther than today.
But my dad would buy a bag of 10 cent burgers, bring it home, and we'd all "boost" it up with more pickles, fresh garden tomato slices, raw onion, what-have-you.
Back then? It was heaven-- even though the burgers my mom made were thicker, better-tasting and so on.
But "store bought" burgers *was* a kind of treat to us kids-- Something Different.
I'm vegan, Bob. My girlfriend isn't. Our friends aren't.

Sometimes I wonder, "What's the harm? Eat some meat, River".

I don't. It's my choice.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2538 Nov 4, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm vegan, Bob. My girlfriend isn't. Our friends aren't.
Sometimes I wonder, "What's the harm? Eat some meat, River".
I don't. It's my choice.

I can respect that-- I tried several different veagan versions a number of years back.

I went totally meatless--not even eggs and/or cheese. That didn't work very well, as I had some problems with protein deficiency.

So I added back in cheese and eggs, and stuck with it for several years.

I did not consciously quit-- it was a gradual thing for me. But I still try to minimize my meat intake--most folk eat way more than they need for good health.

Perhaps I should give it another go... unfortunately, I found it more expensive to be meatless, than not. And budget is tight in the wintertime.

Location hidden

#2539 Nov 4, 2013
<quoted text>
I love everything on a hamburger....but not a dog.
It's crazy......Both are pure beef.
Only twice has this happened where they put ketchup on a dog when I asked for everything. I told them ... You can't lose by leaving ketchup off...If the customer complains, just hand him a couple of packets.
But you can't take the ketchup off.....might as well throw it away.

I only eat Vienna dogs. The last 30 years or so it's been a Polish with everything though.
When I was a lad my Mom would buy a ten pound box of Vienna dogs for about ten bucks....came out to ten cents a piece and YES.. I mainly used one slice of bread with mustard on them.
I was very 'easy' on my Parents. She bought them here....
http://www.viennabeef.com/history-hot-dog-cul...
They're still there. Let's just say we lived fairly close to (1972)
on north Damen.
My Father-in-law likes them with a can of pork and beans.

Location hidden

#2540 Nov 4, 2013
Oh.......half way through....I had to chop them out of the box with a butter knife.lol

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#2541 Nov 4, 2013
middleman1 wrote:
<quoted text>I love everything on a hamburger....but not a dog.
It's crazy......Both are pure beef.
Only twice has this happened where they put ketchup on a dog when I asked for everything. I told them ... You can't lose by leaving ketchup off...If the customer complains, just hand him a couple of packets.
But you can't take the ketchup off.....might as well throw it away.
I only eat Vienna dogs. The last 30 years or so it's been a Polish with everything though.
When I was a lad my Mom would buy a ten pound box of Vienna dogs for about ten bucks....came out to ten cents a piece and YES.. I mainly used one slice of bread with mustard on them.
I was very 'easy' on my Parents. She bought them here....
http://www.viennabeef.com/history-hot-dog-cul...
They're still there. Let's just say we lived fairly close to (1972)
on north Damen.
My Father-in-law likes them with a can of pork and beans.
One small roll polish sauage.
Potatoes
onion
Bell peppers
Salt & peper dash garlic
fry all together serve with tossed salad

Cut yellow squash
onion
chopped green chili
salt & peper dash of garlic
Fried all together. Serve with homemade bread.

Happy eating

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 2 min Buck Crick 48,155
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 7 min DENG 38,741
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 12 min VIKING 971,591
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 14 min jbraly 105,559
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 17 min 2all 646,374
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 40 min X Pendable 182,625
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 47 min Peace_Warrior 618,558
More from around the web