First Hoplite Church

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#2150 Feb 10, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
The invention of honey (by bees) >>almost<< makes me believe in a higher power...
... for, to me, honey is akin to the infamous Babel Fish as imagined by Douglass Adams.
:)
Honey is the only food source that never spoils. If it turns to sugar, you can put it in warm water until the crystals dissolve and it's the same as it was in the beginning, or you can use the sugar as a sweetener in tea and other things. Marvelous thing, honey.

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#2151 Feb 10, 2013
ITS NOT REALLY ME wrote:
Hey...it is just me...hiding from the world for a bit. I needed some peace so I thought I would drop in and say hello.
I changed the name to protect the innocent...hopefully.
Most of you know me but I won't say because that guy who farts all the time seems to show up where ever I post.
I keep looking for a place to post to escape all of the nonsense...just a place to have a decent conversation...it can't be found...even in the deep dark recesses of Topixland.
Welcome. We really do have a 'don't ask, don't tell' program here!

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#2153 Feb 28, 2013
Hey Everyone...

Man.....Those Girl Scout cookies were gooood.
I prefer the peanutbutter sandwich...yummy!
The only problem I have is they're smaller.
When I was a kid...they were 50 cents a box.
The quality is still there but you only get 2 bites rather than 3 now. And...when you take the first bite what's left in your 'two fingers' is a broken other half.....crumbs
They should make the boxes smaller and go back to the original size cookie....less cookies
I guess the way they look at it is more cookies to go around for the kids.....only..... bitesize

Also...get this....I bought a box of chocolate covered peanuts the other day.
There's a BAG way down in the box....half the size
of the box!
Yeah.....you tip the box and the bag slides down.
Very misleading
We used to have Brachs where there was a little plastic window on the box.... so you could see what you're getting.

Who looks at the weight on chocolate? I do now.
btw.....I got what I paid for.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2154 Feb 28, 2013
middleman1 wrote:
Hey Everyone...
Man.....Those Girl Scout cookies were gooood.
I prefer the peanutbutter sandwich...yummy!
The only problem I have is they're smaller.
When I was a kid...they were 50 cents a box.
The quality is still there but you only get 2 bites rather than 3 now. And...when you take the first bite what's left in your 'two fingers' is a broken other half.....crumbs
They should make the boxes smaller and go back to the original size cookie....less cookies
I guess the way they look at it is more cookies to go around for the kids.....only..... bitesize
Also...get this....I bought a box of chocolate covered peanuts the other day.
There's a BAG way down in the box....half the size
of the box!
Yeah.....you tip the box and the bag slides down.
Very misleading
We used to have Brachs where there was a little plastic window on the box.... so you could see what you're getting.
Who looks at the weight on chocolate? I do now.
btw.....I got what I paid for.
I do remember back in the late 70's and early 80's, when the price of sugar went through the roof for some stupid reason or other.

The candybar companies didn't want to raise their prices, which had been relatively stable for decades. So, instead, they went to a little cardboard insert inside their candybar packs, to keep the outer package size the same, but on the inside, about 80% of the original size (at first) then even smaller.

Their "explanation" for not reducing the overall size of the package, was to claim their packaging machines were too expensive to re-tool to the smaller sized bar.

Riiiiiiight.

The did helpfully point out that all candybars were sold by weight, not by volume, but... it was misleading in the extreme.

They should'a just raised their frikkin' prices, and kept the bars the same size as before-- they were gonna have to raise them eventually.

Marketing. Think how much better and more honest the world would be without marketers.

Which makes me think that preachers and marketers have a great deal in common....

... they are both trying to get you to buy something you really don't want or need in the first place.

:D

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#2155 Feb 28, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I do remember back in the late 70's and early 80's, when the price of sugar went through the roof for some stupid reason or other.
The candybar companies didn't want to raise their prices, which had been relatively stable for decades. So, instead, they went to a little cardboard insert inside their candybar packs, to keep the outer package size the same, but on the inside, about 80% of the original size (at first) then even smaller.
Their "explanation" for not reducing the overall size of the package, was to claim their packaging machines were too expensive to re-tool to the smaller sized bar.
Riiiiiiight.
The did helpfully point out that all candybars were sold by weight, not by volume, but... it was misleading in the extreme.
They should'a just raised their frikkin' prices, and kept the bars the same size as before-- they were gonna have to raise them eventually.
Marketing. Think how much better and more honest the world would be without marketers.
Which makes me think that preachers and marketers have a great deal in common....
... they are both trying to get you to buy something you really don't want or need in the first place.
:D
I recall the phenomenon also.
I was displeased.

Yes, I'd rather have paid a bit more, and kept the original size...

And preachers ARE marketers - except that they never have to deliver any product at all.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2156 Feb 28, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>I recall the phenomenon also.
I was displeased.
Yes, I'd rather have paid a bit more, and kept the original size...
And preachers ARE marketers - except that they never have to deliver any product at all.
True, that (preachers).

It's a perfect scam-- the only way anyone could call them on it? Would be to die-- and come back, calling them on their lies.

Alas, we do not (yet) have that scientific ability (to revive the truly dead).

But give it time. Give it time-- we'll figure that out soon enough.

And will those preachers be mad? LMAO!

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#2157 Mar 1, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I do remember back in the late 70's and early 80's, when the price of sugar went through the roof for some stupid reason or other.
The candybar companies didn't want to raise their prices, which had been relatively stable for decades. So, instead, they went to a little cardboard insert inside their candybar packs, to keep the outer package size the same, but on the inside, about 80% of the original size (at first) then even smaller.
Their "explanation" for not reducing the overall size of the package, was to claim their packaging machines were too expensive to re-tool to the smaller sized bar.
Riiiiiiight.
The did helpfully point out that all candybars were sold by weight, not by volume, but... it was misleading in the extreme.
They should'a just raised their frikkin' prices, and kept the bars the same size as before-- they were gonna have to raise them eventually.
Marketing. Think how much better and more honest the world would be without marketers.
Which makes me think that preachers and marketers have a great deal in common....
... they are both trying to get you to buy something you really don't want or need in the first place.
:D
I believe the wheat, sugar, and beef shortages in 1973 were triggered by the oil embargo. Hard to believe a barrel of oil was under 10 dollars in 1970......http://chartsbin.com /view/oau

I remember going to a hot dog stand and getting the skinniest dog I'd ever seen.lol and NO hamburgers whatsoever.
The supermarkets were out of beef. My butcher closed down for a month. Never saw him again...heart attack at 55.
I remember the noodles in canned spagetti were thinner also. That's when I figured out they make noodles with wheat.

Those were the days everyone steamed their buns. At one hotdog stand they had Joe( a death mute )sitting on a stool peeling potatoes over a 5 gallon bucket.
White potatoes.lol.....fresh.....hug e
No welfare for him. He earned his keep.
But through the shortages....we just dealt with it....roughed it out.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#2158 Mar 1, 2013

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2160 Mar 1, 2013
middleman1 wrote:
<quoted text>I believe the wheat, sugar, and beef shortages in 1973 were triggered by the oil embargo. Hard to believe a barrel of oil was under 10 dollars in 1970......http://chartsbin.com /view/oau
I remember going to a hot dog stand and getting the skinniest dog I'd ever seen.lol and NO hamburgers whatsoever.
The supermarkets were out of beef. My butcher closed down for a month. Never saw him again...heart attack at 55.
I remember the noodles in canned spagetti were thinner also. That's when I figured out they make noodles with wheat.
Those were the days everyone steamed their buns. At one hotdog stand they had Joe( a death mute )sitting on a stool peeling potatoes over a 5 gallon bucket.
White potatoes.lol.....fresh.....hug e
No welfare for him. He earned his keep.
But through the shortages....we just dealt with it....roughed it out.
Yeah, I remember the oil embargos all too well. Gas stations without gasoline, and a max of $10 per person-- of course,$10 was more than sufficient to fill even the tanks of those steel land yachts Detroit was churning out.:)

I do remember that the name "toyota" and "honda" was rather a joke-- nobody took them seriously as a car maker back then.

Until the gas crunch, of course. Then? Suddenly that formerly-laughed at Toyota corolla didn't look so comical, did it? <laughing>

And as more and more people began to buy these, they quickly realized that those wily Japanese engineers knew a thing or three about longevity.

Sadly, it took the idiots running Detroit 20 years to catch on-- and even then, Chrysler needed a government bailout... Lee Aylacoka or some'thin like that was his name. A real "american" that fat-cat was... meh.

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#2161 Mar 2, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I remember the oil embargos all too well. Gas stations without gasoline, and a max of $10 per person-- of course,$10 was more than sufficient to fill even the tanks of those steel land yachts Detroit was churning out.:)
I do remember that the name "toyota" and "honda" was rather a joke-- nobody took them seriously as a car maker back then.
Until the gas crunch, of course. Then? Suddenly that formerly-laughed at Toyota corolla didn't look so comical, did it? <laughing>
And as more and more people began to buy these, they quickly realized that those wily Japanese engineers knew a thing or three about longevity.
Sadly, it took the idiots running Detroit 20 years to catch on-- and even then, Chrysler needed a government bailout... Lee Aylacoka or some'thin like that was his name. A real "american" that fat-cat was... meh.
I remember waiting in line for fuel. I also remember the 'gas wars' that followed. People would line up on one side of the street where gas was one cent cheaper than the one across from them. Even though money was short, I would go to the shorter line and get ten gallons of gas, pay 10 cents more, and be gone while others waited those hours to get the one cent cheaper gas before the station ran out. Those were sure different times. We may see them again, too.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2162 Mar 2, 2013
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>I remember waiting in line for fuel. I also remember the 'gas wars' that followed. People would line up on one side of the street where gas was one cent cheaper than the one across from them. Even though money was short, I would go to the shorter line and get ten gallons of gas, pay 10 cents more, and be gone while others waited those hours to get the one cent cheaper gas before the station ran out. Those were sure different times. We may see them again, too.
Oh, without a doubt, we will see some sort of gas shortages in the future.

The stuff is not infinite after all, and Detroit shows little in the way of alternatives to gas-guzzlers.

Currently the best selling .. ahem.. "car"... is the gas-guzzling pick up truck... seriously, WTF?

I was rather hopeful that Engineering would have a reasonable breakthrough in batteries, when the lithium-ion battery technology finally came of age-- but it was not so.

There is too much hand-work in the construction all LiIon batteries currently on the market, which keeps them priced way, way too high for mass consumption. They are just too finicky for mass usage.

*sigh*

I suppose it'll take a tripling of current prices to begin to make a dent in things.

And that will make things pretty ugly for a time---if you are not wealthy, that is.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#2163 Mar 6, 2013
We have'nt had a snowfall like this for awhile.
We usually get blizzard conditions when we get this much...10 inches.
Every trig, branch, railing, fence is 'painted' white.....everything!
One word to describe it.....SPECTACULAR!!

My neighbor was out feeding the birds....
sooo quiet...sound.....and THEN

a Hawk comes out of nowhere.....
I've never seen so many birds moving so 'fast'.
And the Hawk......one word...WOW!!
can he move and dash through the trees. He did'nt get nothin this time.
He got a bunch of squirrels last year though.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#2164 Mar 6, 2013
middleman1 wrote:
We have'nt had a snowfall like this for awhile.
We usually get blizzard conditions when we get this much...10 inches.
Every trig, branch, railing, fence is 'painted' white.....everything!
One word to describe it.....SPECTACULAR!!
My neighbor was out feeding the birds....
sooo quiet...sound.....and THEN
a Hawk comes out of nowhere.....
I've never seen so many birds moving so 'fast'.
And the Hawk......one word...WOW!!
can he move and dash through the trees. He did'nt get nothin this time.
He got a bunch of squirrels last year though.
I miss the mountains. Sometimes I even miss Winter, in an academic sort of way.

If snow were warmer...

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#2165 Mar 6, 2013
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>I remember waiting in line for fuel. I also remember the 'gas wars' that followed. People would line up on one side of the street where gas was one cent cheaper than the one across from them. Even though money was short, I would go to the shorter line and get ten gallons of gas, pay 10 cents more, and be gone while others waited those hours to get the one cent cheaper gas before the station ran out. Those were sure different times. We may see them again, too.
This reminds me of an old friend of mine. He owned a gas station.
Full SERVICE.
He told me he was working under a car one day and an old woman pulled up next to the pumps ( remember the bell?)
He was no young guy either.lol
She says to him, after he crawls out from under the car, wipes off his hands and walks out to the pump,
' I just filled up down the street and they forgot to get my windshield' Could you get my windshield for me?
I'll bet it took a hell of a lot for him to keep his composure.lol

He said....'I GOT TWO WORDS FOR YOU LADY'

She points her finger at him and says 'You better not'

John used to make me laugh....so crabby so funny.

One guy is out by the pumps one day..not getting any gas...grabbing fistfuls of paper towels just to check his oil.
John runs out there and says 'Why don't you buy any gas from me?
You think I get those paper towels for free?

The guy says....You're (gas prices) too high!

The nerve of people.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#2166 Mar 6, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>I miss the mountains. Sometimes I even miss Winter, in an academic sort of way.
If snow were warmer...
It's very beautiful....snow
But a lot of work.lol

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#2167 Mar 6, 2013
middleman1 wrote:
<quoted text>It's very beautiful....snow
But a lot of work.lol
Precisely.

I no longer tolerate weather needs shovelling.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2168 Mar 7, 2013
middleman1 wrote:
We have'nt had a snowfall like this for awhile.
We usually get blizzard conditions when we get this much...10 inches.
Every trig, branch, railing, fence is 'painted' white.....everything!
One word to describe it.....SPECTACULAR!!
My neighbor was out feeding the birds....
sooo quiet...sound.....and THEN
a Hawk comes out of nowhere.....
I've never seen so many birds moving so 'fast'.
And the Hawk......one word...WOW!!
can he move and dash through the trees. He did'nt get nothin this time.
He got a bunch of squirrels last year though.
Blame it on global climate change:

The earth's atmosphere is a giant heat-engine. The warm air at the equatorial regions rise, creating high-atmosphere air "rivers" and pulling cold air from either pole south.

The more heat the whole thing has, the faster and more intense will be those air movements. And larger volumes too.

Such that we can expect more drastic changes from one local weather condition to the next local condition-- deeper snows, more sudden onslaughts of rain, with more rainfall, etc.

And we can also expect dramatic shifts from patterns in the past too-- drier areas that were formerly wet, wet areas that used to be arid, and so on.

The more energy you pump into the whole, the more dramatic and intense (that is the extremes become more extreme) the local weather becomes.

More proof that global climate change is a happening thing--

--- the only real question is how much of this new change is because of human activity.

And of course, the million dollar question: can we do anything about it?

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2169 Mar 7, 2013
middleman1 wrote:
This reminds me of an old friend of mine. He owned a gas station.
Full SERVICE.
He told me he was working under a car one day and an old woman pulled up next to the pumps ( remember the bell?)
He was no young guy either.lol
She says to him, after he crawls out from under the car, wipes off his hands and walks out to the pump,
' I just filled up down the street and they forgot to get my windshield' Could you get my windshield for me?
I'll bet it took a hell of a lot for him to keep his composure.lol

He said....'I GOT TWO WORDS FOR YOU LADY'

She points her finger at him and says 'You better not'

John used to make me laugh....so crabby so funny.

One guy is out by the pumps one day..not getting any gas...grabbing fistfuls of paper towels just to check his oil.
John runs out there and says 'Why don't you buy any gas from me?
You think I get those paper towels for free?

The guy says....You're (gas prices) too high!

The nerve of people.
Nervy indeed.

I would bet you a brand-new $20 that both of those were literally central pillars of their local churches, too.

And I'd bet you another $20, that neither one was all that poor-- that they each had plenty of spending money and never went short for want of food either.

For a person who's truly had to count their last dime, and who's truly had to decide: "rent or food?" is typically more considerate of other folk.

True, they might not shop at the full service guy's station-- but they also wouldn't dream of stealing from him like that.

I find that the poorer people are typically more honest than the rich folk, in my daily dealings with both.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2170 Mar 7, 2013
... why, just yesterday even:

I went and repaired a furnace of a local person, of whom I do a lot of repair work for--he's a landlord with many rentals.

But yesterday, I had to service his personal house-- it was in a moderately-upscale neighborhood, many of his neighbors sported two stories, and everyone had lovely, large front yards, double-car garages, obviously landscaped, and so on.

In short: the only reason why >>these<< people would need to worry about money, would be if they spent too much time at the spa, or over tipped their gardeners.

Yet, when I was done-- and it was "lovely" as I had to undo some "helping" that he had tried to do previously. Gotta love it when that happens... meh...

... anyway, in about an hour and a half-- the half was because I had to go for a part I didn't ordinarily carry-- I was done, and checked it out. And yes, since she asked nicely, I confirmed the hot water tank was lit & functional next to the furnace--no extra charge (even though it was extra time.... she did ask nicely).

So I write it up for one hour anyway, just because they were a repeat customer-- and she has the nerve to ask for an additional discount...

... wait....

... WTF?

I laughed, and politely informed her we were already the cheapest in town and left her the receipt.(not a lie: we are one of the lower priced services)

She did have the good grace to write me a check then and there, instead of holding it for a week or three and mailing it in...

... nervy? Yep..

The richer they are, the nervy-ier they seem to be.

And religious piety seems to go hand-in-glove with that, too...

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#2171 Mar 12, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Blame it on global climate change:
The earth's atmosphere is a giant heat-engine. The warm air at the equatorial regions rise, creating high-atmosphere air "rivers" and pulling cold air from either pole south.
The more heat the whole thing has, the faster and more intense will be those air movements. And larger volumes too.
Such that we can expect more drastic changes from one local weather condition to the next local condition-- deeper snows, more sudden onslaughts of rain, with more rainfall, etc.
And we can also expect dramatic shifts from patterns in the past too-- drier areas that were formerly wet, wet areas that used to be arid, and so on.
The more energy you pump into the whole, the more dramatic and intense (that is the extremes become more extreme) the local weather becomes.
More proof that global climate change is a happening thing--
--- the only real question is how much of this new change is because of human activity.
And of course, the million dollar question: can we do anything about it?
You say it so well.....I'm speechless.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr Seentheotherside 687,387
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr 360Junkman 987,388
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 1 hr Worth Repeating 31,361
Florida Residents Warned They'll Be Ticketed Fo... 2 hr Black Flag 4
skype usernames for dirty skyping;) and usernam... (Aug '14) 2 hr Will lowe 10
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 2 hr Seentheotherside 6,491
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 4 hr Lol U suck big D 286,597
More from around the web