We Should Have Slave Reparations

We Should Have Slave Reparations

Posted in the Top Stories Forum

First Prev
of 60
Next Last
TheTimeIsNow

Bay City, MI

#1 Feb 21, 2008
Slave descendants should get reparations. The right likes to frame reparations as punishing white people for the actions of their ancestors. However, I'm white and don't see it that way. Unless the right is prepared to argue the same for the reparations given to the Japanese and the federal aid given to Native American tribes that argument doesn't hold up.

Reparations would come from the government (tax dollars, fines, tariffs, other sources of government income), not just white people. I also assume it wouldn't just be given to any black people, you'd need to be able to document that some of your ancestors were slaves. It might even depend on number of ancestors and how long they were slaves. In fact, white people who have a small amount of black ancestry would probably get some reparations if those ancestors were slaves in the US.

The "they got reparations already it's called welfare" argument is one I've heard before. It fails, because not all black people are on welfare, and there are many white people who are.

There's the argument "but other countries had slavery too." Yet, reparations advocates only advocate the government paying for slavery that happened in the US. If other countries want to give reparations for slavery that happened over there they can do that, but we're not responsible for it.

The slaves ought to have been paid wages. In the rare case where slavery is discovered in the US today not only is the master sent to prison usually the slave is awarded money for the wages they should've received working and the violation of their rights. Unless we abolish inheritance it makes no sense that today's slave-descendants shouldn't have the right to what should've rightfully been received by their ancestors.

Judged:

17

16

13

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

nubbins b fairlygood

“obama supporter goes boating”

Since: Jan 08

denver

#2 Feb 21, 2008
i agree, anyone who owned slaves , pay up! oh, wait, i think they're all dead. maybe a first class ticket to the country of their choosing, if it's so bad here.

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#3 Feb 21, 2008
TheTimeIsNow wrote:
Slave descendants should get reparations. The right likes to frame reparations as punishing white people for the actions of their ancestors. However, I'm white and don't see it that way. Unless the right is prepared to argue the same for the reparations given to the Japanese and the federal aid given to Native American tribes that argument doesn't hold up.
Well, it's a good idea, but there are many reasons why this will never fly:

-It would be too hard to track down every single descendant.
-How much would be enough?
-It’s unfair. Basically, it’s calling for the capitalization of their ANCESTORS’ misfortunes, not today’s generation. Should descendants of the Gilded Age workers be given compensation for things that would be totally unacceptable in the Information Age?(Child workers, long workdays, poor wages)
-Why should people who have never experienced slavery be given money? Does that mean white Europeans should be given cash and land because their ancestors died during the Plague, or because they lived through two world wars? No, they shouldn’t. That money would go to the actual victims.
-Still would be too difficult to see who gets what, since these records don’t exist.
-What about those descendants of FREE slaves? Should they get compensation if their ancestor was a slave at one point?

I’m not trying to be mean or anything, but this won’t go.
tsimone

Aurora, CO

#4 Feb 22, 2008
nubbins b fairlygood wrote:
i agree, anyone who owned slaves , pay up! oh, wait, i think they're all dead. maybe a first class ticket to the country of their choosing, if it's so bad here.
I take you up on that Iwill send you my paypal info. Okay??

“kein Mitleid fur die Mehrheit”

Since: Dec 06

Allen Park, Michigan

#5 Feb 22, 2008
The reparations given to the Japanese Americans were given to the actual people that were wronged. Many of them are still alive today.

How many generations removed are these people from their enslaved ancestors?

I am for the government making an apology for the actions of our forefathers. I think Australia did just this recently to the Aborigines. Throwing money or land or whatever is not the answer.
Cibil War

Paris, TX

#6 Feb 22, 2008
The reparations lawsuit was first filed back when slaves were still alive. Just because they're dead now does not mean the lawsuit should be dead. Whites have no problems capitalizing on the FORTUNES their ancestors gained through slavery. The lawsuit has nothing to do with you guys little measley bank accounts which probably don't even have enough in them for your next light bill not to mention reparations. The lawsuit is about government wrongdoings and making it right a wrong. Forget about slavery. Lets start from the Jim Crow era. Those people ARE still alive.
tsimone

Aurora, CO

#7 Feb 22, 2008
Just so everyone knows. Victims of war crimes or crimes against humanity are supposed to receive reparations. The Jews received reparations, and so did the Japanese, and their descendants. It is not the fault of black people that the white corporations that benefited from slavery and the United States government didn't have the decency to repay the slaves for their work during that time period. Are we supposed to just let the whole thing go? I bet that wouldn't have worked with the Jews. I think people just don't know how bad the Trans Atlantic slave trade was. Here is some info maybe this will convince you that this should be considered a cime against humanity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_slave_t...

http://www.africanholocaust.net/articles/TRAN...

http://hitchcock.itc.virginia.edu/slavery/sea...

WATCH BOTH OF THESE VIDS ARE REALLY GOOD.

http://youtube.com/watch...

http://youtube.com/watch...

p.s. I don't think people should pay individually I think that there are enough corporations still around from slave time that can foot the bill. and the U.S and European Governements should put their piece in as well.

“kein Mitleid fur die Mehrheit”

Since: Dec 06

Allen Park, Michigan

#8 Feb 22, 2008
tsimone wrote:
Just so everyone knows. Victims of war crimes or crimes against humanity are supposed to receive reparations. The Jews received reparations, and so did the Japanese, and their descendants. It is not the fault of black people that the white corporations that benefited from slavery and the United States government didn't have the decency to repay the slaves for their work during that time period. Are we supposed to just let the whole thing go? I bet that wouldn't have worked with the Jews. I think people just don't know how bad the Trans Atlantic slave trade was. Here is some info maybe this will convince you that this should be considered a cime against humanity.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_slave_t...
http://www.africanholocaust.net/articles/TRAN...
http://hitchcock.itc.virginia.edu/slavery/sea...
WATCH BOTH OF THESE VIDS ARE REALLY GOOD.
http://youtube.com/watch...
http://youtube.com/watch...
p.s. I don't think people should pay individually I think that there are enough corporations still around from slave time that can foot the bill. and the U.S and European Governements should put their piece in as well.
The African nations that participated should as well.

From the link you provided:

"Most slaves were shipped from West Africa and Central Africa and taken to the New World (primarily Brazil[1]). Some slaves were captured by European slave traders through raids and kidnapping, but most were obtained through coastal trading with Africans."
the lost ones

United States

#9 Feb 22, 2008
Again your true colors show and they are not red,blue, they are just white hate. Open your minds one day you will meet god explain to him or her why you did not right your ancestors wrongs. But live off thier gains.
Alan Srout

Dallas, TX

#10 Feb 22, 2008
Okay.. give everyone that can prove they are descended from a former slave 40 acres and a mule, as promised. The federal government owns most of Alaska, so that's where the 40 acres will be. Fair?

“kein Mitleid fur die Mehrheit”

Since: Dec 06

Allen Park, Michigan

#11 Feb 22, 2008
I haven't seen any hate here lost ones.
Johnny

AOL

#12 Feb 22, 2008
TheTimeIsNow wrote:
Slave descendants should get reparations. The right likes to frame reparations as punishing white people for the actions of their ancestors. However, I'm white and don't see it that way. Unless the right is prepared to argue the same for the reparations given to the Japanese and the federal aid given to Native American tribes that argument doesn't hold up.
Reparations would come from the government (tax dollars, fines, tariffs, other sources of government income), not just white people. I also assume it wouldn't just be given to any black people, you'd need to be able to document that some of your ancestors were slaves. It might even depend on number of ancestors and how long they were slaves. In fact, white people who have a small amount of black ancestry would probably get some reparations if those ancestors were slaves in the US.
The "they got reparations already it's called welfare" argument is one I've heard before. It fails, because not all black people are on welfare, and there are many white people who are.
There's the argument "but other countries had slavery too." Yet, reparations advocates only advocate the government paying for slavery that happened in the US. If other countries want to give reparations for slavery that happened over there they can do that, but we're not responsible for it.
The slaves ought to have been paid wages. In the rare case where slavery is discovered in the US today not only is the master sent to prison usually the slave is awarded money for the wages they should've received working and the violation of their rights. Unless we abolish inheritance it makes no sense that today's slave-descendants shouldn't have the right to what should've rightfully been received by their ancestors.
__________

True, Japanese Americans were paid reparations. However, the Japanese Americans who were paid were DIRECTLY affected by what the U.S. government did back during WW2. They weren't the GREAT, GREAT, GREAT descendants. And when you say that you want the U.S. government to pay, the U.S. government is the American taxpayers. There are also several problems associated with reparations.---- How much should be paid?? What type --- form should reparations be (aka/ala --- checks, living tax free, free housing, free schooling, free health care, free education, etc.)?? For what duration should reparations be paid for?? Who should get what & for how long?? Should just recently arrived black immigrants from the West Indies, Central & South America as well as from africa whose ancestors were never slaves in America also receive reparations?? Now, since the 1960s, african Americans have already been paid reparations. And they have been paid reparations in the form of welfare, heat assistance, rent assistance, housing aid, food stamps, free school lunches, health care aid, educational aid, phone bill aid, transportation aid, TANEF, Section 8, AFDC, child care/day care, foster care, affirmative action/quotas, federal jobs, etc..
Johnny

AOL

#13 Feb 22, 2008
DemonicPenguin wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, it's a good idea, but there are many reasons why this will never fly:
-It would be too hard to track down every single descendant.
-How much would be enough?
-It’s unfair. Basically, it’s calling for the capitalization of their ANCESTORS’ misfortunes, not today’s generation. Should descendants of the Gilded Age workers be given compensation for things that would be totally unacceptable in the Information Age?(Child workers, long workdays, poor wages)
-Why should people who have never experienced slavery be given money? Does that mean white Europeans should be given cash and land because their ancestors died during the Plague, or because they lived through two world wars? No, they shouldn’t. That money would go to the actual victims.
-Still would be too difficult to see who gets what, since these records don’t exist.
-What about those descendants of FREE slaves? Should they get compensation if their ancestor was a slave at one point?
I’m not trying to be mean or anything, but this won’t go.
__________

Demonic, VERY well said.
jack corsaut

Porterville, CA

#14 Feb 22, 2008
My people were enslaved by the Italians (Romans) 2000 years ago and it is a hurt that will never heal. Justice is simple - I and my family and our descendants should receive reparations with interest.
Stanislaw

Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

#15 Feb 22, 2008
Obviously there should be reparations.
Anyone who personally owned slaves should be forced to pay them to all slaves they personally owned.
What is wrong with that? It seems fair to me.
Johnny

AOL

#16 Feb 22, 2008
tsimone wrote:
Just so everyone knows. Victims of war crimes or crimes against humanity are supposed to receive reparations. The Jews received reparations, and so did the Japanese, and their descendants. It is not the fault of black people that the white corporations that benefited from slavery and the United States government didn't have the decency to repay the slaves for their work during that time period. Are we supposed to just let the whole thing go? I bet that wouldn't have worked with the Jews. I think people just don't know how bad the Trans Atlantic slave trade was. Here is some info maybe this will convince you that this should be considered a cime against humanity.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_slave_t...
http://www.africanholocaust.net/articles/TRAN...
http://hitchcock.itc.virginia.edu/slavery/sea...
WATCH BOTH OF THESE VIDS ARE REALLY GOOD.
http://youtube.com/watch...
http://youtube.com/watch...
p.s. I don't think people should pay individually I think that there are enough corporations still around from slave time that can foot the bill. and the U.S and European Governements should put their piece in as well.
__________

True, both Jews as well as Japanese Americans were paid reparations. However, they were directly affected. They weren't the great, great, great, great descendants. Now, slavery ended back in 1865. Don't you honestly think that african Americans should have been able to have gotten on their feet by now?? You say "I bet that wouldn't have worked with the Jews".----I TOTALLY agree with you about this. Jews are WAY SMARTER than african Americans & Jews have a WAY BETTER network of contacts & campaigning, etc.. Furthermore, Jews have ALWAYS been united throughout their history whereas african Americans were ONLY united for a brief time back in the 1960s. You say "I think people don't know how bad the transatlantic slave trade was".--- Well, apart from african Americans, I'd say that MOST people TRULY DON'T care. You say "I don't think people should pay individually. I think there are enough corporations still around from slave times that can foot the bill. And the U.S. & European governments should put their piece in as well".--- Oh, I bet that you want a handout!! LOLLLL!! Well, this RIGHT HERE, PROVES that you are a leftwing, afrocentric, anti-white bigot --- racist. And again, a leftwing, afrocentric, anti-white bigot -- racist wants ANOTHER free handout from primarily the white taxpayers. Smh. And as for corporations "paying out" money, that would affect the stock --- shareholders, etc.. Furthermore, the American government is the American taxpayers.
Johnny

AOL

#17 Feb 22, 2008
tsimone wrote:
Just so everyone knows. Victims of war crimes or crimes against humanity are supposed to receive reparations. The Jews received reparations, and so did the Japanese, and their descendants. It is not the fault of black people that the white corporations that benefited from slavery and the United States government didn't have the decency to repay the slaves for their work during that time period. Are we supposed to just let the whole thing go? I bet that wouldn't have worked with the Jews. I think people just don't know how bad the Trans Atlantic slave trade was. Here is some info maybe this will convince you that this should be considered a cime against humanity.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_slave_t...
http://www.africanholocaust.net/articles/TRAN...
http://hitchcock.itc.virginia.edu/slavery/sea...
WATCH BOTH OF THESE VIDS ARE REALLY GOOD.
http://youtube.com/watch...
http://youtube.com/watch...
p.s. I don't think people should pay individually I think that there are enough corporations still around from slave time that can foot the bill. and the U.S and European Governements should put their piece in as well.
__________

---- "continuation" ---- african Americans have ALREADY been paid reparations since the 1960s. They have been paid reparations in the form of welfare, heat assistance, rent assistance, housing aid, free school lunches, food stamps, health care aid, educational aid, TANEF, Section 8, AFDC, transportation aid, child care/day care, foster care, affirmative action/quotas, federal jobs, etc.. And there are many roadblocks with reparations.--- What form should reparations be?? Checks?? Tax exempt status?? Free housing?? Free health care?? Free education? Who should get paid reparations?? How much should be paid out?? For what duration should reparations be paid for?? Should just recently arrived black immigrants from the West Indies, Central & South America as well as from africa whose ancestors never were American slaves also receive checks?? Furthermore, even IF african Americans would "get paid" reparations, ALL the money would probably be wasted within a week on drugs (cocaine, marijuana, pcp, methamphetamines), alcohol (alize, syrup, moet, cognac, crytal, 40-ouncers, etc.) on gambling (at the casino), on shoes, on pants, on watches, necklaces, bracelets, rings, on cars (Cadillacs, Bentleys, Lexus'), on car rims, on stereos, etc.. Then, when all the money would be wasted, leftist african American "leaders" such as Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson Sr. & Louis Farrakhan would lead more marches -- protests demanding more money from the White, Hispanic, Asian & Native American taxpayers. However, reparations will NEVER be "paid". Actually, both Hillary & Obama are against reparations. Furthermore, John Conyers reparations bill H.R.-- 40 hasn't even made it out of committee. And he has been trying to do this since 1989. And this is just a study bill. At best you'll probably get an apology for slavery & you'll maybe get a slavery museum built in Washington D.C.. That's it.

“Voters elect Big Bird”

Since: Jan 07

Dump American Eagle

#18 Feb 22, 2008
Alan Srout wrote:
Okay.. give everyone that can prove they are descended from a former slave 40 acres and a mule, as promised. The federal government owns most of Alaska, so that's where the 40 acres will be. Fair?
Now THATS the master plan.... Works for me.
Tenn

Chattanooga, TN

#19 Feb 22, 2008
Gays and lesbians should seek reparations.
Pat

Granby, CT

#20 Feb 22, 2008
You have been getting reparations for many years idiot! Isn't 75 BILLION a year enough?

The black/white income ratio stabilized at 57% in the early 1970's, as federal and state income taxes are progressive, blacks may be assumed to pay about 50% in taxes for every dollar whites do. So blacks, at 12% of the population, collectively pay about 6% of the cost of welfare, or roughly $13 billion, for a net annual white-to-black transfer of roughly $75 billion. This is in effect a Marshal Plan for the "inner cities" every three years.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 60
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 min New Age Spiritual... 646,556
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 3 min ChristineM 445,716
George Soros Is a Brilliant Investor 3 min Payday is coming 4
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 5 min It aint necessari... 48,540
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 5 min Rider on the Storm 182,646
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 13 min Toby 105,574
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 25 min Steve III 44,682
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr Nytryte 971,629
More from around the web