why are pitbulls so misunderstood

Posted in the Top Stories Forum

First Prev
of 10
Next Last

“pitbullman”

Since: Nov 09

milledgeville

#1 Nov 19, 2009
pitbulls are breed to please there owner,,, why do we continue to punish them when it is us as a human race that have taught everything we touch to hate and fight
angst

Vancouver, Canada

#3 Nov 19, 2009
I agree, Antrax is also misunderstood. So are sharks, go hug one.

“NM Desert Rat”

Since: Mar 08

Elephant Butte, N.M.

#4 Nov 20, 2009
Pitbulls are land sharks. They are misunderstood? Maybe if there weren't so many people mauled by them they wouldn't be.

“pitbullman”

Since: Nov 09

milledgeville

#5 Nov 20, 2009
i rescue them from people that do the harm.. i have seen both sides of the fence.. not just one my friend...

and as far as being mauled yes that happens when you train a dog to attack and to be mean as hell... but it is not the dogs fault for what the owner has done to him

“NM Desert Rat”

Since: Mar 08

Elephant Butte, N.M.

#6 Nov 20, 2009
mystixknight wrote:
i rescue them from people that do the harm.. i have seen both sides of the fence.. not just one my friend...
and as far as being mauled yes that happens when you train a dog to attack and to be mean as hell... but it is not the dogs fault for what the owner has done to him
B.S. You might check your sources before spouting off about the owners being at fault. There are many documented cases where pitbull family pets have mauled and killed people in unprovoked attacks. I agree about some owners being irresponsible however this breed of dog and a couple of others are notorious about attacks.
dont need to noe

Los Angeles, CA

#8 Dec 9, 2009
NM Desert Rat wrote:
Pit bulls are land sharks. They are misunderstood? Maybe if there weren't so many people mauled by them they wouldn't be.
you should shut your mouth whoever you r because they are bred to please their master and people take advantage of that so learn your facts that's why they have school
sasha

United States

#9 Dec 9, 2009
The breed should be exterminated included all the mutts with pitbull. I've known more families who bring home dogs from the pound that have pitbull in them and 90 percent of the time, they are horrible dogs that need more work than most families are equipped to handle. These beasts should not be bred. People should be jailed and fined for breeding them. Horrible horrible animals.

“Intolerant of Asshattery...”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#10 Dec 9, 2009
Checked on a few things regarding the breed. And I found this site that measures the temperment of breed specific dogs. The test is as follows and it isn't an easy one either:

http://www.atts.org/testdesc.html

Example of Breeds Statistics:
Out of 665 "pitbulls" tested 567 passed 85.3%
Out of 720 "golden retreivers" tested 609 passed 84.6%

Found some interesting facts and figures on this site.

Remember ALL dogs are capable of biting, maiming, killing.

I own an APBT and she will be taking Therapy Dog training in the new year. My vet suggested I do this because of her gentle temperament.
the pitbull expert

Philadelphia, PA

#11 Dec 10, 2009
sasha wrote:
The breed should be exterminated included all the mutts with pitbull. I've known more families who bring home dogs from the pound that have pitbull in them and 90 percent of the time, they are horrible dogs that need more work than most families are equipped to handle. These beasts should not be bred. People should be jailed and fined for breeding them. Horrible horrible animals.
what the f****! you dont know shit about pit bulls. this is what happens when people like you listent to the bull shit of todays media!! 98% of those so called "pit bull attacks that you claim of werent even pit bulls!" i have owned pit bulls my whole life and not one was sifficult to handle, nor were they agressive. in fact three of them were hero's. my little cousin wouldnt be a live because of them. he has seziours and the dogs are used to detect on comeing Seizures.
sasha

United States

#12 Dec 10, 2009
Beaware wrote:
Checked on a few things regarding the breed. And I found this site that measures the temperment of breed specific dogs. The test is as follows and it isn't an easy one either:
http://www.atts.org/testdesc.html
Example of Breeds Statistics:
Out of 665 "pitbulls" tested 567 passed 85.3%
Out of 720 "golden retreivers" tested 609 passed 84.6%
Found some interesting facts and figures on this site.
Remember ALL dogs are capable of biting, maiming, killing.
I own an APBT and she will be taking Therapy Dog training in the new year. My vet suggested I do this because of her gentle temperament.
What a bunch of bull. Vets don't suddenly say,'gee your dog is so gentle, have you considered making your dog a therapy dog? Pitbulls have stronger jaw muscles than most dogs and their bites can cause more damage and death which is why these dogs are so dangerous. Many have been bred for fighting and those aggressive genes are passed on. Any dog that comes into the pound with any pitbull in it should be put down.
sasha

United States

#13 Dec 10, 2009
the pitbull expert wrote:
<quoted text>what the f****! you dont know shit about pit bulls. this is what happens when people like you listent to the bull shit of todays media!! 98% of those so called "pit bull attacks that you claim of werent even pit bulls!" i have owned pit bulls my whole life and not one was sifficult to handle, nor were they agressive. in fact three of them were hero's. my little cousin wouldnt be a live because of them. he has seziours and the dogs are used to detect on comeing Seizures.
Oh spare me the dramatics. I've seen many children maimed by these horrible animals. Many families unknowingly adopt dogs from shelters not realizing they have a pitbull mutt. In most cases, these dogs should not be placed but some idiot at the shelter thinks the dogs are wonderful. Ignorant people have pitbulls in almost every case because they don't have the education to make smart decisions. I'm sure there are nice pitbulls but in many cases, they are not. The media has had many reasons to run stories on these beasts. There was a wonderful family who wanted to rescue a dog and they brought home a 20 week puppy. They told them it was part beagle and lab but it was really part pitbull. The dog was aggressive and they called the shelter who said it was a sweet dog. They took it to their vet who didn't want to get involved with temperment testing the dog but told them it was healthy and needed immediate training. She went to various trainers who told her the dog was just fine but it would need work. She thought it was the way puppies are and kept the dog until one day the puppy attacked your five year old and nearly tore his face off. The poor kid is scarred for life. They found out the dog had pitbull in it. I can think of several other cases where pounds or shelters will never say if the dog has pitbull in it because few will ever consider adopting them. In most cases, these dogs need more work than the average person can handle which will lead to increased numbers of dangerous dogs. A lady I work with got a dog from the Humane Society and she wanted to take the dog back after she got it home because she thought it was aggressive. She was shamed into keeping it until it bit her and nearly took off her finger. Guess what, the dog was a pitbull. These animals should be banned.

“Intolerant of Asshattery...”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#14 Dec 10, 2009
sasha wrote:
<quoted text>What a bunch of bull. Vets don't suddenly say,'gee your dog is so gentle, have you considered making your dog a therapy dog? Pitbulls have stronger jaw muscles than most dogs and their bites can cause more damage and death which is why these dogs are so dangerous. Many have been bred for fighting and those aggressive genes are passed on. Any dog that comes into the pound with any pitbull in it should be put down.
For one thing the vet didn't "suddenly" say jackshit. She has been going there since she was 5 weeks old. Also there is NO genetic evidence that suggest ANY dog is more aggressive than another. Some proof for you:

A Pit Bull's jaw structure is no different that that of any other breed of dog."The few studies which have been conducted of the structure of the skulls, mandibles and teeth of Pit Bulls show that, in proportion to their size, their jaw structure and thus its inferred functional morphology, is no different than that of any [other] breed of dog. There is absolutely not evidence for the existence of any kind of 'locking mechanism' unique to the structure of the jaw and/or teeth of the American Pit Bull Terrier",says Dr. I. Lerh Brisbin of the University of Georgia.

Get a grip and lose the drama.

Maybe you'll need therapy one day and I'll show up...LOL

“Intolerant of Asshattery...”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#15 Dec 10, 2009
sasha wrote:
<quoted text> Oh spare me the dramatics. I've seen many children maimed by these horrible animals. Many families unknowingly adopt dogs from shelters not realizing they have a pitbull mutt. In most cases, these dogs should not be placed but some idiot at the shelter thinks the dogs are wonderful. Ignorant people have pitbulls in almost every case because they don't have the education to make smart decisions. I'm sure there are nice pitbulls but in many cases, they are not. The media has had many reasons to run stories on these beasts. There was a wonderful family who wanted to rescue a dog and they brought home a 20 week puppy. They told them it was part beagle and lab but it was really part pitbull. The dog was aggressive and they called the shelter who said it was a sweet dog. They took it to their vet who didn't want to get involved with temperment testing the dog but told them it was healthy and needed immediate training. She went to various trainers who told her the dog was just fine but it would need work. She thought it was the way puppies are and kept the dog until one day the puppy attacked your five year old and nearly tore his face off. The poor kid is scarred for life. They found out the dog had pitbull in it. I can think of several other cases where pounds or shelters will never say if the dog has pitbull in it because few will ever consider adopting them. In most cases, these dogs need more work than the average person can handle which will lead to increased numbers of dangerous dogs. A lady I work with got a dog from the Humane Society and she wanted to take the dog back after she got it home because she thought it was aggressive. She was shamed into keeping it until it bit her and nearly took off her finger. Guess what, the dog was a pitbull. These animals should be banned.
You are the one creating the dramatics. Yes there have been fatalities involving pit bulls but there has also been fatalities involving other breeds of dogs, you want to ban those too? Most people can't properly identify the breed in the first place. A Mastiff, Boxer, Stafforshire Terrier and American Bulldog have all been called pitbulls in the press. Back in the 70's, German Shepherd were dangerous, the 80's it was Dobermans, 90's it was Nodic dogs now I guess it's the bully's turn. And actually there is no such PUREBRED breed called a Pit Bull. Pit Bulls are considered a mixed breed and are not recognized by the AKC.

You have to work with ANY dog. That means alot of TIME spent training. Many people THINK they have the resources, time and money to have a family pet when they do not. Nor do they research breeds to check what is best for their lifestyles.

Also we have a woman in out condo complex who owns a "malti-poo". That dog has bitten over 10 people and several other dogs, including mine (she DID NOT even retaliate, because she IS TRAINED, btw) What is done about it? NOTHING. Why? Because it is a pocket dog and they say it can't do any real damage. It bit right through my dogs lower jaw. I had to pry it's mouth open and then it tried to bite me. Didn't know Malti-poo's had a "locking jaw" also...LOL

Please do some research before coming to the conclusion that that breed or ANY breed should be banned.
sasha

United States

#16 Dec 10, 2009
Beaware wrote:
<quoted text>
For one thing the vet didn't "suddenly" say jackshit. She has been going there since she was 5 weeks old. Also there is NO genetic evidence that suggest ANY dog is more aggressive than another. Some proof for you:
A Pit Bull's jaw structure is no different that that of any other breed of dog."The few studies which have been conducted of the structure of the skulls, mandibles and teeth of Pit Bulls show that, in proportion to their size, their jaw structure and thus its inferred functional morphology, is no different than that of any [other] breed of dog. There is absolutely not evidence for the existence of any kind of 'locking mechanism' unique to the structure of the jaw and/or teeth of the American Pit Bull Terrier",says Dr. I. Lerh Brisbin of the University of Georgia.
Get a grip and lose the drama.
Maybe you'll need therapy one day and I'll show up...LOL
You don't seem to have a stable enough of a personality to be involved in therapy work. Pitbulls have a much stronger bite than most dogs so please quit with the dramatics and misinformation. I've always wondered why uneducated and mentally unbalanced people are always drawn to the pitbull.
sasha

United States

#17 Dec 10, 2009
Beaware wrote:
<quoted text>
You are the one creating the dramatics. Yes there have been fatalities involving pit bulls but there has also been fatalities involving other breeds of dogs, you want to ban those too? Most people can't properly identify the breed in the first place. A Mastiff, Boxer, Stafforshire Terrier and American Bulldog have all been called pitbulls in the press. Back in the 70's, German Shepherd were dangerous, the 80's it was Dobermans, 90's it was Nodic dogs now I guess it's the bully's turn. And actually there is no such PUREBRED breed called a Pit Bull. Pit Bulls are considered a mixed breed and are not recognized by the AKC.
You have to work with ANY dog. That means alot of TIME spent training. Many people THINK they have the resources, time and money to have a family pet when they do not. Nor do they research breeds to check what is best for their lifestyles.
Also we have a woman in out condo complex who owns a "malti-poo". That dog has bitten over 10 people and several other dogs, including mine (she DID NOT even retaliate, because she IS TRAINED, btw) What is done about it? NOTHING. Why? Because it is a pocket dog and they say it can't do any real damage. It bit right through my dogs lower jaw. I had to pry it's mouth open and then it tried to bite me. Didn't know Malti-poo's had a "locking jaw" also...LOL
Please do some research before coming to the conclusion that that breed or ANY breed should be banned.
I have done plenty of research which is why I know enough about the pitbull to know it is a dangerous dog to own. Who said dogs didn't need to be trained? Who said other dogs don't bite? Talk about dramatics. For some reason, uneducated and aggressive personalities seem to be attracted to the pitbull. One of my friends who is a shrink jokes about the owners and claims the men have small penis syndrome and the dogs conpensate for this. Pretty harsh but kind of funny.

“Intolerant of Asshattery...”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#18 Dec 10, 2009
sasha wrote:
<quoted text> You don't seem to have a stable enough of a personality to be involved in therapy work. Pitbulls have a much stronger bite than most dogs so please quit with the dramatics and misinformation. I've always wondered why uneducated and mentally unbalanced people are always drawn to the pitbull.
So where is your proof that they do? I gave you proof that they don't. Genetic testing has been done to quell that fact.

So continue to attack my character if you so desire. Talk about stability, you are the one paranoid and mislead. As always with a debate on here, one shows up, posts nonsense, is shown proof, then they berate the opposing debater. That is your MO.
sasha

United States

#19 Dec 10, 2009
mystixknight wrote:
pitbulls are breed to please there owner,,, why do we continue to punish them when it is us as a human race that have taught everything we touch to hate and fight
That would be their owner and yes humans did have a purpose for this kind of dog. They wanted it to take down animals for them for the slaughter. The tenacity of the terrier made this the perfect dog to turn into a killer. Problem was that terriers are so hard headed they can't always be reliable as the dog in the working breed which could be why pitbulls have ended up on the bad side of the needle.

“Intolerant of Asshattery...”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#20 Dec 10, 2009
sasha wrote:
<quoted text>I have done plenty of research which is why I know enough about the pitbull to know it is a dangerous dog to own. Who said dogs didn't need to be trained? Who said other dogs don't bite? Talk about dramatics. For some reason, uneducated and aggressive personalities seem to be attracted to the pitbull. One of my friends who is a shrink jokes about the owners and claims the men have small penis syndrome and the dogs conpensate for this. Pretty harsh but kind of funny.
And how much of that research has shown you an opposing view to your conclusion? I agree that there are some bully owners who are not responsible as there are with other breeds. The dog doesn't come out of the womb biting and with aggression. I am University educated and am far from aggressive. And I own a wonderful animal, who is attentive, loving, intelligent and gentle.

That's funny, I don't have a penis. So I am guessing you figure that only MEN own bullys. Another HINDSIGHT of yours, figures.
Captain O

Appen, Germany

#21 Dec 10, 2009
sasha wrote:
<quoted text> You don't seem to have a stable enough of a personality to be involved in therapy work. Pitbulls have a much stronger bite than most dogs so please quit with the dramatics and misinformation. I've always wondered why uneducated and mentally unbalanced people are always drawn to the pitbull.
You hit the nail on the head, Sasha. This particular lady frequently posts pics of herself in her avatar that show her aiming with guns and rifles. Like Timothy McVeigh, she's a walking time-bomb. Thank God I don't live near her.
sasha

United States

#22 Dec 10, 2009
Beaware wrote:
<quoted text>
So where is your proof that they do? I gave you proof that they don't. Genetic testing has been done to quell that fact.
So continue to attack my character if you so desire. Talk about stability, you are the one paranoid and mislead. As always with a debate on here, one shows up, posts nonsense, is shown proof, then they berate the opposing debater. That is your MO.
You haven't shown any proof. Who's attacking your character? I don't know you. If you look at the triangular construction of the pitbull and the extraordinary mass of muscles in the jaw area, you can easily see why their bites are so much more damaging. People needed this kind of strength in fighting and in bringing down big animals. It is what it is. No one cares if you want to keep your pet shark but if a dog like that ends up on my property, more than likely it will be destroyed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 min Gods r Delusions ... 567,737
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min It aint necessari... 794,577
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 7 min lil whispers 607,119
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 12 min onemale 267,374
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 14 min AN NFL FAN 120,672
Handmade Jewelry? 30 min DavidSandz 1
Scientific proof for God's existence 40 min Ooogah Boogah 527
More from around the web