Christian/Newsome murders-Why did thi...

Christian/Newsome murders-Why did this never make the national news?

Posted in the Top Stories Forum

“Loving my kids!!!”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#1 Dec 16, 2007
Released documents reveal new details of Christian, Newsom murder investigation

By: Katie Allison Granju, Producer
Date created: 1/16/2007 12:44:49 PM
Last updated: 1/16/2007 10:36:56 PM



Just-released legal documents requesting search warrants are offering new details into the investigation of the murders of Channon Christian and Chris Newsom.Advertisement


The bodies of the young Knoxville couple were found separately last week. Four men, Lemaricus Davidson, Latalvus Cobbins, George Thomas and Eric Boyd, have been taken into custody as part of the investigation.

One affidavit released Tuesday sought permission for police to search the house rented by Lemaricus Davidson at 2316 Chipman Street, where Channon Christian's body was eventually found.

In the document, Officer Todd Childress describes finding Chris Newsom's body "near the railroad track behind 1701 Whittle Springs between Cherry Street and Ninth Ave."

Childress says Newsom's body was wrapped in a "sheet and/or comforter," and that the victim had been shot at least three times. He also notes that Newsom's shoes, socks, identification, and iPod were missing. His body had been burned.

Childress says Channon Christian's Toyota 4-Runner was located after her father, Gary Christian, contacted the family's cell phone provider. The cell phone company then determined where the closest cell tower was located, and thus, were able to find Christian's car.

Officer Childress says he went to Lemaricus Davidson's residence on Chipman to serve outstanding warrants on the recently released convicted felon, after Davidson's fingerprint was found inside Channon Christian's recovered 4-runner.

He found the front door ajar, and after entering the house, he found a body inside a large trash can in the home's kitchen. At this point, he summoned the Medical Examiner's Office. The body was later identified as that of Channon Christian.

In a second affidavit in support of a search warrant released Tuesday, Officer Childress seeks permission from the court to seize and search "clothing, fingernail scrapings, hair samples and DNA biological samples" from Eric Boyd.

The request came after George Thomas and Letalvus Cobbins, after being arrested in Lebanon, Kentucky gave "voluntary statements" to police officers implicating Eric Boyd in the crimes.

According the affidavit, Thomas and Cobbins told police they were both present at the Chipman residence when Eric Boyd and Lemaricus Davidson brought a bound and blindfolded Christian and Newsom into the house.

They say Boyd left the house with Newsom at gunpoint, and then returned alone. They also say they were both present as Eric Boyd sexually assaulted Channon Christian before her murder

“Loving my kids!!!”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#2 Dec 16, 2007
Interesting Where is the Media Coverage for the Newsome/Christian Murders.
Snopes ^| 5/5/2007 | NA

Posted on 05/15/2007 10:49:49 AM PDT by Independentamerican

Origins: On 6 January 2007, Knoxville, Tennessee, residents Christopher Newsom, Jr., 23, and Channon Christian, 21, went out for a dinner date at a local restaurant, then headed to a friend's house to watch a movie. They never came back.

When the couple had failed to return by the following morning, their parents notified police. Christopher Newsom's body was found near some railroad tracks in East Knoxville that afternoon, but Channon Christian remained missing. A trace run on Channon's cell phone helped authorities locate her abandoned vehicle the next day, and fingerprints raised from an envelope inside the automobile led police to the residence of 25-year-old Lemaricus Devall "Slim" Davidson, where they discovered Channon's body wrapped in a blanket.

The details of the crime as they emerged in the press were horrific. Carjackers had taken Channon's vehicle at gunpoint, bound and blindfolded the couple, and transported them to Davidson's residence. At that location, Christopher was raped (in front of Channon) by multiple assailants. His private was cut off, he was shot multiple times, his body was set on fire, and, finally, his corpse was taken away and dumped alongside railroad tracks.

“Loving my kids!!!”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#3 Dec 16, 2007
And there are people out there who don't agree with the death penalty...isn't this enough reason to have one?

“Loving my kids!!!”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#4 Dec 17, 2007
I guess no one cares about a white couple being murdered!!!!

“Loving my kids!!!”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#6 Dec 17, 2007
S Will wrote:
I guess they don't, even if they were Native American, Hispanic or Japanese.
It's amazing how some groups' ground gets nationally covered, especially when that group is in the wrong.
No kind of hate is acceptable, I don't care who you are.
About the article, it is an absolute tragedy. I don't even want to imagine what those precious folks went through before they died. It is atrocious.
Were the perpetrators of a different race?
S Will, they were black I believe 4-5 all together...you should pull it up on the internet very sad and they show the pics of all involved. Very beautiful couple with alot going for them but you are right if the tables were turned Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton would have been all over it!

“Loving my kids!!!”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#8 Dec 17, 2007
S Will wrote:
Oh, yeah, Sharpton was (and still is) all over something from my town that's gone national. Know what? The "cause" is in the wrong, but because the person is black, then kapow, it's national news.
Whatever. I'm not into racism, but right is only right, yuh know? I don't care if the person is black or white, if you're wrong, you're wrong. Like Rodney King. The guy was drugged up on cocaine and was resisting arrest. It took how many officers to subdue him? It's just a 15 minutes of fame and a way to get out of taking responsibility for their own actions is what they're looking for. Well, the hate for white folk is also a motivating factor.
Like I wrote, I don't go for any kind of racism, but I don't think we'll ever rid ourselves of such vermin.
I'll go google it and check it out.
Oh thank you for feeling the same way that my hubby & I feel! It is not about hate but what is for justice and just for the sake of a race!

“Whips and candle wax please.”

Since: Nov 07

Rhinelander, WI

#9 Dec 17, 2007
ColleenWhtlr wrote:
And there are people out there who don't agree with the death penalty...isn't this enough reason to have one?
The Steven Avery case made me wish WI had th death penalty and I Thank God Texas has it for the Baby Grace case. This story is really sad even more so this time of the year.

“Loving my kids!!!”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#10 Dec 17, 2007
Wills Girl wrote:
<quoted text>The Steven Avery case made me wish WI had th death penalty and I Thank God Texas has it for the Baby Grace case. This story is really sad even more so this time of the year.
Unfortunately, Wills Girl, this did not just happend and the fact that it never made it to national news is a very sad thing! This story was meant to be heard and not just because they were a white couple and the defendants were black but because it is more important than whether or not Britney Spears is wearing underwear!

“Loving my kids!!!”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#12 Dec 17, 2007
S Will wrote:
I googled the story, Colleen, and frankly, it really hasn't gotten enough attention. Not for the sake of race, but for the nature of the crime. These people need to be brought to justice.
I don't believe that people committing a crime is a reflection of the race they belong to as a whole and is unrealistic to insinuate such a thing.
What I'm curious about is their criminal record. One has already been listed as a felon, who's fingerprints were found in her car, but for the rest of them. Hmm. Nine times out of ten, someone who commits a heinous crime, and in this case, it's unspeakable, but usually, there is a record. In some cases, the person may have just been released from the State, only to go out and commit another crime.
It's not about placing responsibility on anyone elses shoulders than where it belongs, squarely on the monsters, however, it's a crying shame that these type of people are allowed to roam our streets.
I'm glad that California continues to legalize the death penalty.
The reason that China has a low to non existent crime rate is because of the severe penalties.
We've created us a very serious problem.
Hey I totally agree with you...these multi felons do not deserve multiple chances...heck 3 strikes is too light in certain cases. We need stronger laws and tougher sentences for people like this and the bleeding hearts that don't believe in the DP can pay solely for people like this to rot in jail since they think that everyone deserves a chance. Some people will never change and can never be redeemed!
(by the way you have email)

“Loving my kids!!!”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#17 Dec 17, 2007
S Will wrote:
P.S. Got the email, responded ;)
Got one as well!

“Loving my kids!!!”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#18 Dec 17, 2007
S Will wrote:
Yes, that's an excellent idea! Everyone against the death penalty ought to be required to help pay for the housing of these criminals and not the rest of us.
Heck, I don't mind footing the bill for the execution. Lethal injection is much cheaper than the electric chair and much cheaper than housing the criminals for the rest of their lives.
What state did this occur in? I guess I never paid attention to any of the articles in regards to that. I see the addresses in your post, but no state. I'm curious if that state has the death penalty. Would be nice if they did.
It happened in tennesse

“Loving my kids!!!”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#21 Dec 18, 2007
S Will wrote:
Ain't anyone interested in this?
Obviously not! That is sad!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 54 min Clearwater 48,736
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 57 min Rosesz 646,607
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr Steve III 44,688
... 1 hr jorvajor 1
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 1 hr KellyP_Onuandher 2,063
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr Aura Mytha 971,689
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 2 hr karl44 105,620
More from around the web