should older people be allowed to drive?

should older people be allowed to drive?

Posted in the Top Stories Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
elizilove

Romford, UK

#1 Sep 25, 2008
the answer in my opinion is a fair YES. i think a lot of youngsters such as myself may have driver liscenes but disobey the rules,accidently or purposely sometimes but it doesnt mean that you're too young or too old to be driving,unless you obey the laws and you're healthy.

what else do you guys really think???????
j-j-m

London, UK

#3 Sep 25, 2008
it doesn't matter whether you abide by the rules,or not,it only matters if your eye sight is fairly good and you have nothing wrong with your joints, because your joints can be the main reason why old people have been age dicriminated, because if something is wrong with your joints then that can cause people to have a slower reaction time than other people who have nothing wrong with them.
FSM bless America

United States

#4 Sep 25, 2008
elizilove wrote:
what else do you guys really think???????
I live near a seizure village and I can tell you most of these drivers are a real hazard. I wish I had a 10$ for every time I have seen glass and body parts at the entrance/exit for them.

After 65 or so they should be road tested again and as they get older it should increase to every month at say 75 or around there. But you have the aarp to protect them, makes me sick, the life that may be saved by getting the relics off the road maybe one of your family members. My Dad stopped driving on his own at 80. I use to look at his back bumper and wonder how many beamer/benzez's he had been backing up into at the store

“Pray for America!”

Since: Sep 08

Knoxville,TN but live in KY

#5 Sep 25, 2008
I think there should be another road test around 60... then maybe everytime the license gets renewed for sure!!
just me

Brunswick, OH

#7 Sep 25, 2008
yes however i think that once you turn a certian age maybe in your 60's or 70's you should have to retake the driving test that we all took to get our licenses. and if they pass great but if not o well
dink

United States

#8 Sep 25, 2008
I think their cars should be made of Nerf, with a top speed of 17 mph.
just me

Brunswick, OH

#9 Sep 25, 2008
dink wrote:
I think their cars should be made of Nerf, with a top speed of 17 mph.
haha dont they go slow enough maybe they need their own lane
Lex

United States

#10 Sep 25, 2008
Test older people as often as you want to.

But take away the license from every kid caught speeding, drinking, or anyone with two moving vehicle accidents in a three year period (no injury) or after any second injury-accident or any fatal.

The vast majority of idiot driving is done by a tiny minority or drivers. the older ones generally can't help it, the younger ones usually just don't care. I don't care which problem the dangerous dude has, pull his license before he kills you (or me).
just me

Brunswick, OH

#11 Sep 25, 2008
your right it should be like that but for everone not just kids

scout

Since: Feb 07

Mountain View, CA

#12 Sep 25, 2008
Once old people reach the age of 35, the State must test them with written and application (behind wheel). If they fail to pass, yank their license and refer to buses/taxis/bicycles.

And, yes, I know many old ladies of 35 that haven't a clue about driving.

“Puppies rock!”

Catonsville, MD

#13 Sep 25, 2008
Everyone should be tested in order to renew their license, regardless of age. Laws change, physical impairments develop, and people forget the laws. If you are being entrusted to drive, you should have to prove that you are responsible enough. Case in point, can anyone tell me what law dictates regarding the use of turn signals? And yes, it is set forth in the driving code. From what I see on the road, I expect to hear nothing in response! lol

“Jersey Girl ”

Jersey Baby!!!

#14 Sep 25, 2008
the turn signal???? how about stop signs that people yeild at and yeild signs people stop at for no reason???? thats an accident waiting to happen but the turn signal if you can observe the body language of the other drivers then you can tell.. im not standing up for them because they do need to use them but you do eventually get used to people not using them. in fact people look at me funny i use mine all the time even if there is no one else on the road.

“Winchester Model 1894”

Since: Apr 07

Roy, Washington

#15 Sep 25, 2008
This is indeed a thorny issue with our elderly. For many of them this is the last bit of freedom they have. However, as we get older our reflexes slow down, our eyesight may not be up to par, and they may be overly cautious which in itsself is a hazard. I feel the elderly (70?) should be road tested at each renewal.I also feel that the D.O.L personnel should be trained to look for signs of dementia or other impairments.

I'm also a big advocate for simulated road testing. Have the applicant (any age) sit at a driving simulator and see how they score on various skills. I really think it would save the states money in the long run.

“Keeping my fingers crossed ...”

Since: Aug 07

Life's enduring gifts

#16 Sep 25, 2008
We had an incident Saturday night in the condos where I live. An elderly lady was trying to park her car, hit the gas instead of the brake and, well, you can probably guess what happened. There was this tremendous CRASH!!! and the whole building shook. I rushed outside and her car was half in and half out of the garage, tight up against the car that was parked in the garage and mere inches from the next car over. The whole frame on the front of the garage was knocked sideways. The garage is structurally unsound and we are forbidden to park our cars in there until it's repaired/rebuilt. In looking back on this incident, we were all lucky that the cars didn't explode - especially since my living room is on the other side of the wall. BTW, the lady was unhurt, just shaken up.

Anyway, it could've been an accident, a mistake in judgement or whatever you want to call it. I'm thinking that maybe mandatory testing at 70 and over might not be such a bad idea.

MP has some good thoughts also.

scout

Brisbane, CA

#17 Sep 25, 2008
RiverSpirit wrote:
We had an incident Saturday night in the condos where I live. An elderly lady was trying to park her car, hit the gas instead of the brake and, well, you can probably guess what happened. There was this tremendous CRASH!!! and the whole building shook. I rushed outside and her car was half in and half out of the garage, tight up against the car that was parked in the garage and mere inches from the next car over. The whole frame on the front of the garage was knocked sideways. The garage is structurally unsound and we are forbidden to park our cars in there until it's repaired/rebuilt. In looking back on this incident, we were all lucky that the cars didn't explode - especially since my living room is on the other side of the wall. BTW, the lady was unhurt, just shaken up.
Anyway, it could've been an accident, a mistake in judgement or whatever you want to call it. I'm thinking that maybe mandatory testing at 70 and over might not be such a bad idea.
MP has some good thoughts also.
typical problem with old ladies, but old men routinely run over people.
FSM bless America

United States

#18 Sep 26, 2008
MPMARTIN wrote:
This is indeed a thorny issue with our elderly. For many of them this is the last bit of freedom they have.
Thats true but that freedom should not come at the cost of killing innocent people. Several years ago a very elderly man killed several people in a closed off street in Santa Monica on a weekend used for food vendors. Witnesses said body's were flying everywhere. When he finally stopped he was not even aware of what he had truly done. How many peoples life's were shattered that day?

United States

#19 Sep 26, 2008
I firmly believe that anyone over the age of 60 should have be retested, say every 2 years. I have been behind many senior citizens that should have not been on the road. Also, anyone with a known medical condition, such as stroke or heart conditions should be watched more closely. My mom has had 2 strokes this year, and fortunately my dad yanked her car keys away from her to prevent her from doing any harm to another person.
modis

Leeds, UK

#20 Feb 11, 2009
dum

scout

United States

#21 Feb 11, 2009
CMM257 wrote:
I firmly believe that anyone over the age of 60 should have be retested, say every 2 years. I have been behind many senior citizens that should have not been on the road. Also, anyone with a known medical condition, such as stroke or heart conditions should be watched more closely. My mom has had 2 strokes this year, and fortunately my dad yanked her car keys away from her to prevent her from doing any harm to another person.
Your dad is smart.

I would say that DMV's must do about 100 times more than presently.

If we stopped wasting money on wars of rape, we can hire more and the DMV to take care of real world testing, and yank the licenses of those that fail.

We can use the extra money to pay war incentive to army regulars guarding the borders with Mexico.
kim at EW

Copenhagen, NY

#22 Feb 13, 2009
Speaking as a younger person, I do not think that there should be testing for the elderly.

Stepping on the gas instead of the brake? That's an easy thing to do. Age has nothing to do with it. Driving way too slow? Then they should be stopped and warned or given a ticket, like any other driver would be for driving way too fast.

When I see my peers drive, that scares me! A few years ago, I saw a van with peer drivers in it. They went out of the parking lot and around the corner so fast, that the van was on 2 wheels making the curb. And they were laughing!

Who has most of the DUI's and DWI's? Not the seniors, but teens to 40 or 50 year olds. In fact, insurance studies say that teens are the most dangerous drivers, yet, no one states that maybe people should not drive until they are 20 or 21!

I've seen handicapped people in their 20's, 30's and 40's who with their disability should not be driving, but they are. And everyone says it is their "right", as a disability should not be cause for discrimination.

Now, does that mean that every senior should be driving? Of course not. But retesting is ridiculous. If a person can hardly walk, then of course they should not be behind a wheel. If their vision is poor, again, they should not be behind a wheel. But then this should go for ANY AGE and you don't need to retest for this.

Most seniors will stop driving on their own when necessary. They don't need the embarassment of retesting.

We talk about "all" the accidents that seniors cause, but what about others? In my own personal examples, I have almost been hit by state police and sheriffs on 4 seperate occasions in the last 15 years, because they went through stop signs with no lights or sirens. I reported one of the incidents, but nothing was ever done. Someone I know was hit by an officer who went through a sign (no lights or siren) and was very badly hurt. So now, using the same argument as the "dangerous seniors", should all police offices go through driver's training and retesting continually because of a few idiots in their midst?

Everyone can say driving is a priviledge, but in today's society, it is a necessity. If there is public transportation, great! But it is also not always dependable. Most families do not live in the same communities as all of their relatives any longer, and people do no know their neighbors like they used to.

I think that before people discuss continually driver testing, it should be though out well. After all, what if you're a good driver, but YOU have a bad day and get nervous testing, or a nasty DMV tester in a bad mood that day, and YOU fail? Then what?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 min Gabriel 985,638
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 3 min Bongo 25,668
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 19 min confrinting with ... 685,658
Nursing home..sandy hook 25 min Peggyjones 1
Why it's time for Donald Trump to RESIGN...in d... 56 min Doctor REALITY 20
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 2 hr ChromiuMan 6,446
Why do we live life when we have to die anyway? (Jul '13) 7 hr Frank 301
More from around the web