Is RELIGION actually a mental illness???
David Finn

Whitstable, UK

#4023 May 16, 2012
Religion is definitely a mental illness. It is a spiritual narcotic designed to dull the senses to an unjust and cruel world. Mans longing for immortality is the driving force behind the notion of a heaven. It has hampered the world for centuries, stifling progress. If 'god' was so powerful he must have known what would happen in his name. For example, the Crusades, Bloody Mary, Bosnia, Afghanistan, Northern Ireland, Tens of thousands burning at the stake, dungeons dripping with blood of the innocent, 9/11, etc etc. Let us concentrate on the here and now and tell the fanatics the idea of paradise, nirvana or heaven or wherever is simply wish fulfilments.

“Psalm 24:1”

Since: Mar 10

Mississippi County Arkansas

#4024 Jul 10, 2012
Religion is not a mental illness, its a spiritual thing!
Steve

Leicester, UK

#4025 Jul 12, 2012
Scrotal wrote:
If it isn't it will do until one comes along! Nothing about it can be proven.If we made the same claims in support of any other concept and presented proof of the same caliber we would be laughed right out of town..Why do people want to believe so badly that they are willing to suspend their common sense and believe things with no real proof?
Did you hear about the agnostic, dyslexic, insomniac......?
He spent all night pondering if there was a dog....
Steve

Leicester, UK

#4026 Jul 12, 2012

Religion was the first form of surfdem....
Ie. how humans gained control of other humans
Steve

Leicester, UK

#4027 Jul 12, 2012
Steve wrote:
<quoted text>
Woops...didn't mean to post here sorry
Lamb of the lost

United States

#4028 Aug 10, 2012
Its all about heaven there is no other reason to believe such stupid childish things .... Because u dont get ur "free tix 2disney land" when u die if u dont. I cant believe "normal" ppl really read the bible n believe it,but they must say they do. i myself was a believer n lived in fear untill i read the bible i wish i had known how insane it was all those years as a frightened child.
mentaly ok

Glenwood, Australia

#4029 Aug 15, 2012
yes all religious people i know do have some mental problem,and bigger the problem more religious they are.and if god realy exist what a sadist he is making all this people mentaly ill.
Steve

Belfast, ME

#4032 Oct 11, 2012
In short, your argument is that evolution has created a mental illness and delusion in 90% of the world's population over its entire history.

That seems to be a pretty flawed system. It's a wonder humanity could ever draw itself up out of the primordial ooze with a ubiquitous brain defect like that.

A more likely explanation is that the delusion and mental illness comes from a recessive gene that affects atheists.

“Behave Yourself”

Since: Jul 07

Fort Worth, Texas

#4033 Oct 12, 2012
Steve wrote:
In short, your argument is that evolution has created a mental illness and delusion in 90% of the world's population over its entire history.
That seems to be a pretty flawed system. It's a wonder humanity could ever draw itself up out of the primordial ooze with a ubiquitous brain defect like that.
A more likely explanation is that the delusion and mental illness comes from a recessive gene that affects atheists.
Atheists don't believe in fairy tales, don't call bats "birds," don't know of any talking donkeys, know nothing about rabbits that "cheweth the cud," and certainly have no invisible and silent friends in the sky. The same cannot be said about those who follow the Bible and have "faith" in someone that isn't there...
Tim

United States

#4034 Dec 19, 2012
Yes it is look at the physiatric DSM hyper-religiousity!! There it is black an white, you can be as delusional as you wish, but it's a mental disorder
gonond

Masontown, PA

#4035 Dec 19, 2012
youtube.com/watch... …
Very Delusional
jim

Mexico, Mexico

#4036 Mar 31, 2013
religion is a mental illness.
socci

Cameron, MO

#4037 Mar 31, 2013
Edthirty wrote:
Atheists don't believe in fairy tales, don't call bats "birds," don't know of any talking donkeys, know nothing about rabbits that "cheweth the cud," and certainly have no invisible and silent friends in the sky. The same cannot be said about those who follow the Bible and have "faith" in someone that isn't there...

Yes they do.. the 'caveman' & dino-chicken and other pagan superstitions.
James

Cameron, MO

#4038 Mar 31, 2013
jim wrote:
religion is a mental illness.

The nazis used psychiatry and other pseudosciences to justify their genocide. It began with your rhetoric.

“Behave Yourself”

Since: Jul 07

Fort Worth, Texas

#4039 Apr 1, 2013
socci wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes they do.. the 'caveman' & dino-chicken and other pagan superstitions.
Wrong
jim

Mexico, Mexico

#4040 Apr 1, 2013
James wrote:
<quoted text>
The nazis used psychiatry and other pseudosciences to justify their genocide. It began with your rhetoric.
religion IS still a mental illness.
Unbelievable

Paducah, KY

#4041 Apr 2, 2013
The argument is hopeless and can never be resolved! Some folks would rather believe in extraterrestrial beings than to believe in God! Some scientist actually propose a multiverse where numerous copes of me and you live slightly different lives yet they find it hard to believe in God! Quantum Physics is the most fantastical stuff I've ever heard of yet after all that God is unbelievable! Human beings have the only known true conscious, self-aware mind in the universe and no one wonders why! If their is no life after death for our conscious mind then what a waste! Our human brain is vastly more complex than any super computer we have or will have in the foreseeable future and no one wonders why! It's all one big accident of nature and so far this accident only happened once! You folks believe how you want I'll continue to believe in a God! If I'm wrong so be it! Good night!
Unbelievable

Paducah, KY

#4042 Apr 2, 2013
Should say copies of me!
Unbelievable

Paducah, KY

#4043 Apr 2, 2013
I'll give this! Religion is a form of mind control. If used right it's to glorify God but when used wrong can hurt people!
gommom

Pittsburgh, PA

#4044 Apr 2, 2013
youtube.com/watch... ………
Religon is a Lie God was only a old tale Goverment dud being executed legally by public execution defeated by another territory

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 6 min TRUE CATHOLIC her... 690,482
Slop your Hogs again please God!!! 18 min 1967 is calling 2
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 34 min Ice Man 42,181
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr lightbeamrider 989,757
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 2 hr Nacked Truth 619,844
US Marines Mostly Gay (Oct '11) 4 hr Mike 2232 42
Why are Europeans a race of savages, thieves, a... (Jun '15) 4 hr Rabbis on the Run 140
Bring the jobs back to the USA! 8 hr Paul is dead 632
More from around the web