Senate plans no probe of NSA spy program

Full story: CNN

WASHINGTON -- For now, the Senate Intelligence Committee won't investigate the Bush administration's domestic surveillance program, its chairman said.
Comments
1 - 6 of 6 Comments Last updated Apr 15, 2014
Gunnar Heinrich

Essex, CT

#2 Feb 17, 2006
Mr. Weaver it is right and proper for the Senate to investigate these activities. It can do so discretely, which would be wise and report its findings in a way that does not disclose sensitive operations.

The government should be investigated to ensure that it stays accountable and that the powers enacted via Presidential authority are not abused by the various intelligence agencies.

http://www.ummediawatch.blogspot.com

Since: Feb 06

Location hidden

#4 Feb 17, 2006
Gunnar Heinrich wrote:
Mr. Weaver it is right and proper for the Senate to investigate these activities. It can do so discretely, which would be wise and report its findings in a way that does not disclose sensitive operations.

The government should be investigated to ensure that it stays accountable and that the powers enacted via Presidential authority are not abused by the various intelligence agencies.

In both United States v. Brown, 484 F.2d 418 (5th Cir. 1973), and United States v. Butenko, 494 F.2d 593 (3rd Cir. 1974), the courts upheld warrantless wiretaps. In Brown, a US citizen's conversation was captured by a wiretap authorized by the Attorney General for foreign intelligence purposes. In Butenko, the court held a wiretap valid if the primary purpose was for gathering foreign intelligence information.
Gunnar Heinrich

Essex, CT

#5 Feb 17, 2006
Gentlemen:

I agree with you that these are perilous times.

However, balance must be maintained on the home front even in times of conflict.

By balance, I do mean that every branch of government be held accountable as the Founding Fathers prescribed.

No discrete investigation held outside the public eye, but undertaken in the public interest, would jeopardize our nation's security or threaten the overall terms of Executive power.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#6 Apr 14, 2014
Oh a Reichpublican Senate is happy about Bushs spy on America

Location hidden

#9 Apr 15, 2014
Where Is My America wrote:
<quoted text>Park the Volvo , Obama is president.
All my ex s live in Texas

Location hidden

#10 Apr 15, 2014
I dont care about Prez, I care about the Senate

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 7 min religionislies 226,397
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 12 min Tide with Beach 733,241
Hot gays in Abu Dhabi (Nov '13) 12 min playful 753
Seeking a loving white husband 24 min Sweetchick1978 1
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 25 min Ratloder 118,009
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 39 min MUQ1 258,090
Do white girls like Hispanic guys? (Girls who a... (Jan '14) 41 min Anonymous 4
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 50 min Seraphima 600,020
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr truth 539,236
•••
Enter and win $5000

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE