Christianity or Scientology as a Reli...

Christianity or Scientology as a Religion?

Posted in the Top Stories Forum

PDX Dave

Portland, OR

#2 Oct 4, 2013
Scientology is not really a religion, it was never intended to be. I'm sure you know its origins, it was set up originally by [a then famous] science fiction writer made no secret of the fact it was intended as a tax dodge/shelter and that he (L Ron Hubbard) is credited with saying [something to the effect] "if you want to make really big money, start a religion!"

In its current incarnation Scientology really reflects more of being a cult, then a religion. In that when you join you sign over your assets to them, relinquishing all your worldly possessions. The basic belief of Scientology is that experience, in this or in previous lives, is recorded in the brain as a series of "engrams." These engrams are revived and reinforced by recurring similar situations and always cause inappropriate and self-defeating behavior. One's goal of Scientology is to "process" or clear these engrams and become more self-determining. By erasing these accretions from one's present and past lives, one releases the essential, spiritual self or soul called the "thetan." Do some research, check it out!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 5 min RiccardoFire 184,819
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 8 min PadMark 678,632
What was the Yugoslav military doing deployed i... 13 min UidiotRaceUMAKEWO... 5
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 23 min ROCCO 118,624
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 50 min RiccardoFire 2,165
News Bill to loosen financial rules would save $24 b... 3 hr UidiotRaceUMAKEWO... 2
News Trump budget promises balance in decade, relies... 4 hr UidiotRaceUMAKEWO... 4
More from around the web