Do Democrats or Republicans give more...

Do Democrats or Republicans give more to Charity?

Posted in the Top Stories Forum

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Charity

Gainesville, FL

#1 Jan 20, 2008
Statistically speaking, overall, there are more indiviual republicans that give more to charity year after year than democrats. However, when a Democrat is in charge, they tend to raise taxes in way that will help increase the amount of funds they can give to charity. Which way is better and why?

Although I am a Democrat, I personally believe it is better to do it the way Republicans doit. That wa, a individual can research their favorite charities and foundations and give directly to them based on thier own beliefs. Democrats using the forced donation practice is very successful in actually getting more contributions even though the taxpayer might not want to donate (or can't afford to donate) to a specific cause.
EdO

Portland, OR

#2 Jan 20, 2008
Charity wrote:
Statistically speaking, overall, there are more indiviual republicans that give more to charity year after year than democrats. However, when a Democrat is in charge, they tend to raise taxes in way that will help increase the amount of funds they can give to charity. Which way is better and why?
Although I am a Democrat, I personally believe it is better to do it the way Republicans doit. That wa, a individual can research their favorite charities and foundations and give directly to them based on thier own beliefs. Democrats using the forced donation practice is very successful in actually getting more contributions even though the taxpayer might not want to donate (or can't afford to donate) to a specific cause.
I am curious about the second statement when the Democrats are in charge. Please explain.
Ticked

Greenbrier, TN

#3 Jan 20, 2008
It's better for individual citizens to decide if they will donate and what charity they will donate to, because it is their money and not the government's.

For example, I have decided to donate money this year to a charity. I decided this of my own free will and since I'm making the money I intend to donate, that's my right. However, just because I think the cause is worthy doesn't mean I have the right to decide that you will donate to the same cause, because I obviously have no right to dictate what you do with your own money.

Likewise, what right does the government have to decide what taxpayer dollars (again, your money, not theirs) will go to what charity? It is not their money to do with as they wish, and the politicians need to be reminded of their place as our servants, not our masters.
OLDE DUDE

Bethlehem, PA

#4 Jan 20, 2008
THIS IS THE DUMBEST QUESTION. ADD STUPID.
Joe 6 Pack Conservative

Albertville, AL

#5 Feb 19, 2008
sorry to come along so late after this was posted and all...
I do no think this is a "DUMB" question. I have a theory that those who tend to call themselves "conservative" probably donate more collectively than those who label themselves "liberal" or "progressive".
But another dynamic that must be included into any statistic about donating is that of personal time donated. I assume there are a lot of "liberals" that give their time more than their money. With that in mind, how do we factor the worth of that time?
Jack

Eugene, OR

#6 Apr 3, 2008
Democrats hate Private charity, Period. There (SOCICALIST'S) charity is Government redistribution to causes 51% of this country dispise. Democrat redistribution must stop.
Anndee

Coeur D Alene, ID

#7 Apr 3, 2008
All I know is Christians account for a large amount of Charity.
For little to no money!
Food banks and food pantries 2,022,201
Soup kitchens 1,038,808
Congregate dining 825,687
Home delivered meals 272,448
Other food services 313,972
Social support services 1,695,763
Education and enrichment 603,186
Socialization and neighborhood services 345,820
Health-related services 260,248
Services to at-risk populations 203,822
Counseling and mental health services 534,933
Immigration services 313,140
Addiction services 157,905
Refugee services 76,864
Pregnancy services 64,247
Adoption services 42,011
Temporary shelter 201,653
Housing services 186,584
Supervised living 55,893
Permanent housing 44,261
Transitional housing 27,070

Provided Disaster Services to 31,302 people

Clothing assistance 584,005
Utilities assistance 171,070
Emergency financial assistance 70,312
Medication assistance 60,142
Other basic needs assistance 1,127,264
Anndee

Coeur D Alene, ID

#8 Apr 3, 2008
Hence FAITH BASED
OMNI

Lehighton, PA

#9 Apr 3, 2008
The only reason a republican ever gave to charity was to get the write off on their taxes.
more deaf than dumb

United States

#10 Apr 3, 2008
Charity wrote:
Did you read George Will's column on charitable giving? These are excerpts from it.

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/GeorgeWill...

-- Although liberal families' incomes average 6 percent higher than those of conservative families, conservative-headed households give, on average, 30 percent more to charity than the average liberal-headed household ($1,600 per year vs.$1,227).

-- Conservatives also donate more time and give more blood.

-- Residents of the states that voted for John Kerry in 2004 gave smaller percentages of their incomes to charity than did residents of states that voted for George Bush.

-- Bush carried 24 of the 25 states where charitable giving was above average.

In 2000, brows were furrowed in perplexity because Vice President Al Gore's charitable contributions, as a percentage of his income, were below the national average: He gave 0.2 percent of his family income, one-seventh of the average for donating households. But Gore "gave at the office." By using public office to give other peoples' money to government programs, he was being charitable, as liberals increasingly, and conveniently, understand that word.
Bill Jackson

Columbus, OH

#11 Apr 3, 2008
The only charity Republicans give too is the closet queen public bathroom wide stance fund
Anndee

Coeur D Alene, ID

#12 Apr 3, 2008
OMNI wrote:
The only reason a republican ever gave to charity was to get the write off on their taxes.
THAT IS A HASTY GENERALIZATION!!!!!!
All I know is Christians account for a large amount of Charity.
For little to no money!
Food banks and food pantries 2,022,201
Soup kitchens 1,038,808
Congregate dining 825,687
Home delivered meals 272,448
Other food services 313,972
Social support services 1,695,763
Education and enrichment 603,186
Socialization and neighborhood services 345,820
Health-related services 260,248
Services to at-risk populations 203,822
Counseling and mental health services 534,933
Immigration services 313,140
Addiction services 157,905
Refugee services 76,864
Pregnancy services 64,247
Adoption services 42,011
Temporary shelter 201,653
Housing services 186,584
Supervised living 55,893
Permanent housing 44,261
Transitional housing 27,070

Provided Disaster Services to 31,302 people

Clothing assistance 584,005
Utilities assistance 171,070
Emergency financial assistance 70,312
Medication assistance 60,142
Other basic needs assistance 1,127,264
ALL FOR LITTLE TO NO MONEY!!!!!!!!!!
Anndee

Coeur D Alene, ID

#13 Apr 3, 2008
Bill Jackson wrote:
The only charity Republicans give too is the closet queen public bathroom wide stance fund
He who is without sin cast the first prostitute!
more deaf than dumb

United States

#14 Apr 3, 2008
Bill Jackson wrote:
Barney Frank's roommate made enough money to fund Barney's last campaign, while he was running a "Call Boy" service out of Frank's apartment.
Mary

Villas, NJ

#15 Apr 7, 2008
OMNI wrote:
I am a conservative and that is a very telling statement. In logic it is called a "Straw Man" statement. Someone states, with apparent great authority, what it is that someone else thinks, believes or why they do something, even though they have no actual proof. They do this to prove their already ingrained position that the other person's motives are not worthy or to make them look bad because they can't argue against the person's actual positions.

My husband and I support numerous charities. Sometimes we take the write-off and sometimes we don't. In either case, the contribution comes from the heart and would be made whether or not we receive the deduction.
OMNI

Lehighton, PA

#16 Apr 8, 2008
Mary wrote:
<quoted text>
I am a conservative and that is a very telling statement. In logic it is called a "Straw Man" statement. Someone states, with apparent great authority, what it is that someone else thinks, believes or why they do something, even though they have no actual proof. They do this to prove their already ingrained position that the other person's motives are not worthy or to make them look bad because they can't argue against the person's actual positions.
My husband and I support numerous charities. Sometimes we take the write-off and sometimes we don't. In either case, the contribution comes from the heart and would be made whether or not we receive the deduction.
Point understood. I should have added , "in my opinion" or "in my experience". Thank you for a civil, well thought out rebut. Refreshing to not have the "L"(liberal)-bomb thrown at me by a conservative for a change! I am a moderate, and usually get hit from both sides with rhetoric. Thanks for the straight forward, non- confrontational reply!
Center Line

Vancouver, WA

#17 Apr 8, 2008
Statistically speaking.
People who are religious give more across the board to all causes than their non-religious counterparts

There is a huge “charity gap” that follows religion: On average, religious people are far more generous than secularists with their time and money. This is not just because of giving to churches—religious people are more generous than secularists towards explicitly non-religious charities as well. They are also more generous in informal ways, such as giving money to family members, and behaving honestly.

Giving supports economic growth and actually creates prosperity

Many studies show that giving and volunteering improve physical health and happiness, and lead to better citizenship. In other words, we need to give for our own good. Cultural and political influences—and the many government policies—that discourage private charitable behavior have negative effects that are far more widespread than people usually realize.

The working poor in America give more to charity than the middle class

The American working poor are, relative to their income, some of the most generous people in America today. The nonworking poor, however—those on public assistance instead of earning low wages—give at lower levels than any other group. In other words, poverty does not discourage charity in America, but welfare does.

Upper level income people often give less than the working poor

Among Americans with above-average incomes who do not give charitably, a majority say that they ‘don’t have enough money.’ Meanwhile, the working poor in America give a larger percentage of their incomes to charity than any other income group, including the middle class and rich.
http://www.arthurbrooks.net/statistics.html
OMNI

Lehighton, PA

#18 Apr 8, 2008
Center Line wrote:
Statistically speaking.
<quoted text>
http://www.arthurbrooks.net/statistics.html
Followed your link. Did some more research on my own. Everything this Mr. Brook writes, weather it's a column or a book, has a rightwing slant to it. I don't think this should be offered up as "fact".
more deaf than dumb

United States

#19 Apr 8, 2008
OMNI wrote:
<quoted text>Followed your link. Did some more research on my own. Everything this Mr. Brook writes, weather it's a column or a book, has a rightwing slant to it. I don't think this should be offered up as "fact".
There aren't enough facts to convince a close-minded Liberal.
OMNI

Lehighton, PA

#20 Apr 8, 2008
more deaf than dumb wrote:
<quoted text>
There aren't enough facts to convince a close-minded Liberal.
There's that ever popular "L" bomb again! Can't do any better? I happen to be a moderate, for us the facts don't come from the left or the right, just the bullshit, and the right seems to be winning on that count right now!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr Tellthetruth 989,938
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 1 hr Aura Mytha 42,609
Why it's high time to get rid of billionaires 2 hr Johnny 66
Bring the jobs back to the USA! 2 hr Johnny 668
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 hr KENTUCKY CATHOLIC 690,653
Poll What's the most exotic/hottest mixed race group? (Jan '13) 3 hr Doctor REALITY 27
Here's What's Really Behind NFL Players Taking ... 3 hr Sedwick 1
More from around the web