what the hell happened to the Christmas spirit?

Posted in the Top Stories Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

“"the world has gone mad"”

Since: Sep 08

alexandria, louisiana

#1 Nov 22, 2008
Christmas has become so commercialized. It is no longer about loving and giving it is about buy, buy, buy and spend, spend, spend!!! We need to stop this madness!!!

“Jersey Girl ”

Jersey Baby!!!

#2 Nov 22, 2008
it has been like that for years. I will always bake cookies and pass them out to my neighbors and to the adults at christmas. The kids get gifts but thats it. eveyone else gets baked goods. I wish that more people saw that. this holiday is about giving not buying. Its not a contest to see who can spend the most money.

alexandria, louisiana

#3 Nov 22, 2008
i have 5 siblings with spouses, 2 parents, 2 inlaws, 9 nieces/nephews, friends, husband, and four kids. that equates to about 20 to 30 presents to buy. i would like to come up with a new way to celebrate Christmas that doesn't involve spending 2000 dollars, extreme stress, and buying lots of gifts that mean nothing. none of my nieces/nephews can tell me what i bought them last year for christmas. the gifts mean absolutely nothing. i feel like a scrooge!!!

alexandria, louisiana

#4 Nov 22, 2008
every year i seem to want to just run away and skip Christmas all together. i am a christian and there no longer seems to be Christ in Christmas.
Skeptic

United States

#5 Nov 22, 2008
People are greedy, corporations are greedy, store owners are greedy, they start Xmas music at Halloween, trying to get us to get the charge cards out, you don't need money now, just charge it.
get a lot, buy a lot, run the charge card balance up thru the ceiling!!

“Religion is for stupid people”

Since: May 08

Anytown, USA

#6 Nov 22, 2008
whatthehelliswrongwithus wrote:
every year i seem to want to just run away and skip Christmas all together. i am a christian and there no longer seems to be Christ in Christmas.
Please elaborate. How is there no "christ" in Christmas anymore? What specific things do you no longer see, and how does not seeing these things make your holiday experience any worse? In my opinion, the less "christ" in Christmas, the better the holiday.

“Jersey Girl ”

Jersey Baby!!!

#7 Nov 22, 2008
Skeptic wrote:
People are greedy, corporations are greedy, store owners are greedy, they start Xmas music at Halloween, trying to get us to get the charge cards out, you don't need money now, just charge it.
get a lot, buy a lot, run the charge card balance up thru the ceiling!!
i saw christmas stuff up in september. I wanted to scream at the manager. lol

“Jersey Girl ”

Jersey Baby!!!

#8 Nov 22, 2008
I agree and the holiday is a religious holiday that has been made into a time to make money.

alexandria, louisiana

#9 Nov 22, 2008
NoamChimpsky wrote:
<quoted text>
Please elaborate. How is there no "christ" in Christmas anymore? What specific things do you no longer see, and how does not seeing these things make your holiday experience any worse? In my opinion, the less "christ" in Christmas, the better the holiday.
Pretend for a moment that you believe that Jesus Christ is God and Savior and Christmas is a day to celebrate His birth. With me? Now imagine people that celebrate that day by buying their kids and everyone lots of stuff that they for the most part cannot afford. I don't want to argue religion with you. How about love and peace and good will towards all. What Americans usually do has nothing to do with any of that.

alexandria, louisiana

#10 Nov 22, 2008
a few weeks ago i saw several houses with all of their yard/house decorated to the hilt with christmas lights- in october?????????

alexandria, louisiana

#11 Nov 22, 2008
NoamChimpsky wrote:
<quoted text>
what does Christmas mean to you? Forget the religious part what else is Christmas supposed to be about?

alexandria, louisiana

#12 Nov 22, 2008
i actually tossed and turned for a couple of hours the other night because i was so irritated and annoyed about what the Christmas holiday has become. I am actually angry and bitter and want nothing to do with this commercial holiday. i am an official SCROOGE!

Since: Aug 08

Elkhorn City, KY

#13 Nov 22, 2008
it was killed just as it was created - by capitalism.
Skeptic

United States

#14 Nov 22, 2008
Sounds like you have perspective that is not religious, and that is OK. This holiday has its genesis in Christianity. It has for years been a Christian celebration of the birth of Christ. Nothing more than that.

What it has become is not what was intended. I would simply do away with the holiday at this point, just get rid of it, keep it in the churches, but as far as a national holiday? get rid of it, it has been bastardized. It may still allow some families to get together, if they all get time off, but otherwise, there is no purpose to it anymore. Christ has pretty effectively been removed, so, I would stop the hypocrisy, end the holiday, and we can be real.
NoamChimpsky wrote:
<quoted text>

“Jersey Girl ”

Jersey Baby!!!

#15 Nov 22, 2008
a few weeks ago i saw several houses with all of their yard/house decorated to the hilt with christmas lights- in october?????????
I am guilty of that. sorry. However I have a reason. I changed the date of christmas because we are going to go home for christmas and we still wanted to have our own family christmas so I put up lights and decorated (not with those inflatable thing i hate them)
Skeptic

United States

#16 Nov 22, 2008
I don't believe capitalism had a thing to do with creating it, capitalism maybe fueled it, but it is a religious, Christian celebration. The date of 12/25 apparently has some pagan aspects to it, as does the decorated Fir tree, mistletoe, yule log, etc.

I suspect Christmas is not celebrated in Iran, Saudi Arabia, North Korea, here it is celebrated by intoxication, overspending, overeating, watching horror movies, etc.
Damnthezine wrote:
it was killed just as it was created - by capitalism.
Skeptic

United States

#17 Nov 22, 2008
What do you mean,'forget the religious part?' It is Christmas! a relious holiday, if you are not Christian, it is a day off, with a football game. What else could it be?

What I now have a problem with, is the government being an accomplice to a religious holiday, there should be no federal day off, it should be a regular work day. We have way, way too many holidays already, we need to start scaling back, the economy is going bust, and here is a good place to start. After this, then MLK day is next, then Columbus day.
<quoted text>
what does Christmas mean to you? Forget the religious part what else is Christmas supposed to be about?
katie lee

Brookville, PA

#18 Nov 22, 2008
Haven't you heard that the liberals, commies the ACLU and other assorted nut cases, won't allow Christ in Christmas anymore???? No mangers in public, you must not sing Christmas Carols in public schools, and you must say happy winter instead of Merry Christmas. Thank the lousey courts for this, but no one AND I MEAN NO ONE CAN TAKE Christ out of our hearts and minds. They are trying to ruin the Christian religion or anything that has to do with God. Shame on all of those scroges....someday they will pay and be sorry, when they die and face HIM. What will they say to HIM....I thought you were a figment of someones imagination???? Guess where they will go then???? Anyhow....I wish you all in here, MERRY CHRISTMAS, HAPPY NEW YEAR, HAPPY HANIKA OR WHATEVER YOU CELEBRATE....CHRIST IS STILL ALIVE, NO ONE CAN KILL CHRISTMAS, UNLESS YOU LET THEM!!

alexandria, louisiana

#19 Nov 22, 2008
Skeptic wrote:
What do you mean,'forget the religious part?' It is Christmas! a relious holiday, if you are not Christian, it is a day off, with a football game. What else could it be?
What I now have a problem with, is the government being an accomplice to a religious holiday, there should be no federal day off, it should be a regular work day. We have way, way too many holidays already, we need to start scaling back, the economy is going bust, and here is a good place to start. After this, then MLK day is next, then Columbus day.
<quoted text>
i just didn't want this to become an argument about religion. you are right on- Christ has been removed from it and it is nothing but hipocrisy. my dad calls me only once a year to ask me what i want for christmas and then we get together and exchange meaningless gifts. my sister argues that it is about being thoughtful and loving. we give gifts to each other and all of our nieces/nephews and basically forget about them the rest of the year. we never spend quality time together and have no idea what is going on in each one's lives. it's a joke- love and thoughtfulness would last more than one day and one gift.
Skeptic

United States

#20 Nov 22, 2008
At least you have contact once a year with your family, that has to be good thing, I'm reading Christmas history, and so many things we associate with the Christmas holiday have pagan origins, it has become polluted with paganism, mixed in with the birth of Christ, which by the way, we are not told to observe this in the Bible. So, technically, it is not a biblical observation, anyone flying 'sola scriptura' would avert themselves from any participation in what we do on 12/25. I myself have withdrawn as much as possible, I don't go along with the crowd.
<quoted text>
i just didn't want this to become an argument about religion. you are right on- Christ has been removed from it and it is nothing but hipocrisy. my dad calls me only once a year to ask me what i want for christmas and then we get together and exchange meaningless gifts. my sister argues that it is about being thoughtful and loving. we give gifts to each other and all of our nieces/nephews and basically forget about them the rest of the year. we never spend quality time together and have no idea what is going on in each one's lives. it's a joke- love and thoughtfulness would last more than one day and one gift.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 9 min It aint necessari... 739,673
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 15 min truth 542,658
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 26 min Thinking 227,561
4 word game (use same Letter) (Mar '13) 48 min bacon hater 1,101
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr MUQ1 259,549
Israel's end is near, Ahmadinejad says (Jun '07) 1 hr MUQ1 36,887
Hollywood Libtards dedicated to ASSIST in destr... 1 hr A Tree 4
Sims 4 Key Generator (Oct '13) 15 hr Joana 150

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••