Sugar Grove, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

`
Pulp made from the Sitka variety of this tree makes good newsprint because of its whiteness
Alex Trebek

Sugar Grove, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

`
The bark of the paper species of this tree was once used for canoes; its wood is now used for toothpicks
Alex Trebek

Sugar Grove, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

`
Brandy & sherry are traditionally stored in barrels made of this wood
Alex Trebek

Sugar Grove, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Repost ....______ BIRDS__________

`
On chicken farms females under a year old are called pullets; over a year old, they're called these
Alex Trebek

Sugar Grove, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Repost ....______ 1950S SITCOMS __________

`
Series that included this intro in its opening:
"Anne Jeffreys as Marion Kirby, the ghostess with the mostess"

hint ... The Cosmo who isn't Kramer

“It's a dog's life”

Since: Jan 08

Amish Country

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

x-pitcher wrote:
<quoted text>
To pick one is really hard.
Because I despise it so much, I would have to say the introduction of PED's has really changed the game. Baseball, unlike the other major sports is steeped in tradition and the admiration of it's all time records, especially the HR records. To me, the players spit on the game. And it appears to be a long way from over. Also players going on the DL has become a nightmare. Just the other day, I heard Vin Scully say that he couldn't recall a single Dodger going on the DL in 1947. Players are so bulked up ( and we know mostly why ) and have little body fat to protect muscle.( so said Don Drysdale years ago when he was a broadcaster for the Angels )
As far as other changes, the big $$$ salaries has definitely changed it also. Players won't take the field with a hangnail and the owners don't want 'em to, because of the investment. Families can hardly afford to attend many games without having to take out a loan.
The way the game is played now with SP's on average only going 5-6 inn. with a special reliever for each of the last few inn., and everyone has a closer for the 9th.
Lots of little changes over the years, even terminolgy has changed a lot.
But, it's still played with a ball and bat, though the wood used is different in many cases and the ball has become more lively ( so they say )
JMO
I agree with all you have said. I didn't really think much about steroid use although it really has changed the game because it's made a mockery of the records of the old timers.

You brought up something I didn't consider about steroids in that it reduces body fat which protects players from injuries. That's very interesting. One of this things I have noticed is players going on the DL for what seems like minor aches and pains. I kind of think they're cry babies myself. Overpaid cry babies. Not all of course.

Myself I think the one thing that's made the biggest change in baseball is free agency. It's allowed players to move around to make the big bucks. It's put baseball into the category of everything that's wrong now. Which is it's all about money. Nothing to do with loyalty, pride, or team spirit.

One of the things that really bugs me when I watch a game is to see opposing players chatting on the field. When I see this I think why are you chatting away, smiling and joking with a guy on the other team. He's your rival. You're supposed to beat him. Of course the reality is that someday they may be on the same team because of free agency.

I like what you said about starting pitchers only going 5 or 6 innings. The 100 pitch count thing really bugs me too. Sabermetrics is another big and bad change. It completely disregards baseball sense or experience. Baseball is a game of talent, luck, and momentum. It's a game that any team can win at any time. That's what I like about it.

“It's a dog's life”

Amish Country

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

beachball wrote:
<quoted text>
What are ...
absolutely obscene salaries
rent free publicly funded stadiums
violent fans
Rent free publicly funded stadiums is an interesting. Never thought about that before. Good point.

I don't know about violent fans. Cleveland doesn't have any fans at the games. Or nearly any. I'm sure they'd be happy with even violent fans. Maybe they should have another 10 cent beer night.

“It's a dog's life”

Amish Country

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Alex Trebek wrote:
__________ COMMON BONDS __________
Joy, broom, pogo
stick

“It's a dog's life”

Amish Country

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Alex Trebek wrote:
`
Pink, cow, Freudian
slip

“It's a dog's life”

Amish Country

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Alex Trebek wrote:
`
Book, inch, glow
worm

“It's a dog's life”

Amish Country

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Alex Trebek wrote:
`
Blossom, Free State, pekoe tea
orange

“It's a dog's life”

Amish Country

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Alex Trebek wrote:
`
This wood used for baseball bats & umbrella handles shares its name with the residue left from burning it
ash

“It's a dog's life”

Amish Country

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Alex Trebek wrote:
`
Pulp made from the Sitka variety of this tree makes good newsprint because of its whiteness
birch?
Joe Fryday

Palm Harbor, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

x-pitcher wrote:
<quoted text>
Feller, Garcia, Lemon, and Wynn.
AAAA++++
Joe Fryday

Palm Harbor, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

x-pitcher wrote:
<quoted text>
Nonplussed here Jose, don't recall any reliever-closer winning 19. Face won 18 as a reliever with Pirates around 1960, I think. And a guy named Phil Regan known as "the vulture" won about 15 in relief for Dodgers.
My bad, I was thinking Face and thought it was 19.
Joe Fryday

Palm Harbor, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Chico Escuela wrote:
<quoted text>
Early Wynn, he once borrow Chico's soap and no give it back.
Bob Feller always took up 2 car spaces.
AA++ also Mike Garcia and Bob Lemon
Joe Fryday

Palm Harbor, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Alex Trebek wrote:
__________ COMMON BONDS __________
Joy, broom, pogo
What are sticks
Joe Fryday

Palm Harbor, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Alex Trebek wrote:
`
Pink, cow, Freudian
What is a slip
Joe Fryday

Palm Harbor, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Alex Trebek wrote:
`
Book, inch, glow
What are worms
Joe Fryday

Palm Harbor, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

beachball wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Andet, I haven't been on since right after New Years.
I'm not good at all. I'm dying. I dont have alot of time left.
I never know what to say when this comes up. But I don't want you to think I pass it by unthinking. My wife and I offer our evening grace before meals for friends and family struggling through various tough times including health issues. I think of you when we do this.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 min USA Born 537,067
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 3 min Just Think 117,801
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 min River Tam 730,068
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 11 min Charlie Sheen 259,261
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 14 min CunningLinguist 225,640
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 14 min NEWS-FLASH 172,931
Why Iím no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 16 min BenAdam 441,091

Search the Top Stories Forum:
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••