Ask Me A Trivia Question -- 2 --

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#191079 Jan 1, 2013
Fifth Generation wrote:
VII) This American writer is best known for her biographies. Among her works:‘Beloved Friend: The Story of Tchaikowsky and Nadejda Von Meck’(1937); ‘Free artist: The story of Anton and Nicholas Rubinstein’(1939); ‘Yankee from Olympus: Justice Holmes and His Family’(1944); ‘Francis Bacon: The Temper of a Man’(1963); ‘The Most Dangerous Man in America: Scenes from the Life of Benjamin Franklin’.(Personality, please)(01 January, 1897 – 01 November, 1973) won the National Book Award for Nonfiction in 1958.
Catherine Drinker Bowen

Location hidden

#191080 Jan 1, 2013
Fifth Generation wrote:
VIII) In the 1943 movie adaptation of “The Ox-Bow Incident” with Henry Fonda, often cited as one of his best films,(Personality, please)(01 January, 1909 – 17 December, 1992) played a lynching victim. His signature roles came as an obsessed detective in “Laura”(1944) opposite Gene Tierney, and as a U.S. Army Air Force officer returning home from the war in the Oscar-winning 1946 film “The Best Years of Our Lives”. He played a crooked cop in “Where the Sidewalk Ends”(1950), also with Gene Tierney.
[Carver] Dana Andrews

Location hidden

#191081 Jan 1, 2013
Fifth Generation wrote:
IX) An American boxer,(Personality, please)(01 January, 1919 – 22 May, 1990) was considered one of the greatest knockout artists in boxing history, often displaying the capacity to take his opponent out with a single punch.
Rocky Graziano [Thomas Rocco Barbella]

Location hidden

#191082 Jan 1, 2013
Fifth Generation wrote:
X) In 1951 his novel ‘The Catcher in the Rye’ was an immediate popular success. His depiction of adolescent alienation and loss of innocence in the protagonist Holden Caulfield was influential, especially among adolescent readers.(Personality, please)(01 January, 1919 – 27 January, 2010) followed ‘Catcher’ with a short story collection,‘Nine Stories’(1953), a volume containing a novella and a short story,‘Franny and Zooey’(1961), and a volume containing two novellas,‘Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters’, and ‘Seymour: An Introduction’(1963).
J[erome] D[avid] Salinger

Location hidden

#191083 Jan 1, 2013
Fifth Generation wrote:
XI) His awards include two Obie Awards in 1965 for Best Performance in the play “The Old Glory” by Robert Lowell and for Distinguished Performance in John Webster's play “The White Devil” that same year, a Tony in 2002 for Best Supporting Actor in Ivan Turgenev's “Fortune's Fool”, and Tonys for Best Featured Actor in a Play in 1975 for Edward Albee's “Seascape”, and in 2007 for Peter Morgan's “Frost/Nixon”. He also received an Academy Award nomination for Best Actor in a Leading Role for his performance as Richard Nixon in the film “Frost/Nixon”(2008).(Personali ty, please)(01 January, 1938) was nominated for two other Best Leading Actor in a Play Tonys: first in 1978 for the Edward Gorey-designed revival of Bram Stoker's “Dracula”, and again in 2004 for Stephen Belber's “Match”.
Frank A. Langella, Jr.

Location hidden

#191084 Jan 1, 2013
Good night, dear Friends.
May the Maker bless & protect you, until we shall meet again.
Joe Fryday

Palm Harbor, FL

#191085 Jan 2, 2013
Fifth Generation wrote:
I'll be in, tomorrow, to offer correct responses to the questions posted, today.
Thereafter, I must ask to be excused. Although I have enjoyed the company of those friends discovered here, the situation has changed, my family in need of nurturing, at present.
May the Maker protect & keep you, & those whom you hold dear, always.
Thank you for all your involvement here. Good luck with the family needs. I hope this is a sabbatical and not a full retirement. You will be missed and thought about.
Joe Fryday

Palm Harbor, FL

#191086 Jan 2, 2013
Fifth Generation wrote:
02) On this date in 1892 the Ellis Island Immigrant Station opened in (Community, please).
<It’s a wonderful town!>
NY
Joe Fryday

Palm Harbor, FL

#191087 Jan 2, 2013
Fifth Generation wrote:
03) On this date in 1898 New York City was consolidated into five buroughs — Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan,(Specify, please), Staten Island.
Queens
Joe Fryday

Palm Harbor, FL

#191088 Jan 2, 2013
Fifth Generation wrote:
05) On this date in 1958, treaties establishing the European Economic Community went into effect. Member states include Belgium, France, West Germany,(Country, please), Luxembourg, and the Netherlands.
A) Australia
B) Canada
C) China
D) Italy
E) Slovakia
D Italy
Joe Fryday

Palm Harbor, FL

#191089 Jan 2, 2013
Fifth Generation wrote:
06) On this date in 1979, the United States and (Country, please) established diplomatic relations.
<smash!>
A) Australia
B) Canada
C) China
D) Italy
E) Slovakia
C China
Joe Fryday

Palm Harbor, FL

#191090 Jan 2, 2013
Crazy Uncle wrote:
<quoted text>
Betsy Ross.
Hey ! Good to see you. Happy New etc.
Joe Fryday

Palm Harbor, FL

#191091 Jan 2, 2013
x-pitcher wrote:
<quoted text>
There are so many that this could be. Every one that I've thought of is really close in the dates. I've checked out all I could think of and I know I will know the fighter when I see it, but can't come up with the correct one.
Perhaps an advert to Q & A re Great Boxers at Wikipunchia.
Joe Fryday

Palm Harbor, FL

#191092 Jan 2, 2013
Today's news:

What high profile Republican tore House Speaker Boehner and other House Rs a new one today? And why?
Joe Fryday

Palm Harbor, FL

#191093 Jan 2, 2013
Today's news from the DC play ground:

Who said GFY to whom on the Senate floor in the last day or so ?
Joe Fryday

Palm Harbor, FL

#191094 Jan 2, 2013
Today's news from the kids in the NBA:

Kobe blamed the Lakers problems on what factor ?

“Be American Buy American”

Since: Apr 08

Big Rock Candy Mtn.

#191095 Jan 4, 2013
Joe Fryday wrote:
Today's news:
What high profile Republican tore House Speaker Boehner and other House Rs a new one today? And why?
Chris Christy?
Joe Fryday

Palm Harbor, FL

#191096 Jan 4, 2013
Crazy Uncle wrote:
<quoted text>
Chris Christy?
Yes, sir. Because B didn't intro the "Help for Sandy storm" bill.
Joe Saturday Mopup

Palm Harbor, FL

#191097 Jan 5, 2013
Joe Fryday wrote:
Today's news from the DC play ground:
Who said GFY to whom on the Senate floor in the last day or so ?
Boehner to Harry Reid after Reid referred to him as a Dictator.
Joe Saturday Mopup

Palm Harbor, FL

#191098 Jan 5, 2013
Joe Fryday wrote:
Today's news from the kids in the NBA:
Kobe blamed the Lakers problems on what factor ?
He blamed it on aging.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 min Mirrormirorwall 683,440
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 3 min Buck Crick 14,978
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr another viewer 982,979
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 3 hr Here For Now 619,680
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 10 hr USA-1 39,246
AT&T is run by a bunch of crooks who should be ... (Dec '14) 12 hr Doctor REALITY 10
Chinese are dishonest, greedy and cold-blooded. (Jan '14) 15 hr a_visitor 39
More from around the web