HA! That's a laugh and a half.
Even absolute logic can be fooled.
Out and Proud

Palm Desert, CA

#284 Aug 8, 2008
Darwin the Baptist wrote:
<quoted text>
'
Well, it was sortof a joke, but there is a logic to it; it all depends on the whole "which definition" of atheism you are talking about.
There are those who take an absolute stance that, "There is no god", and to these it does apply. They have adopted this *Belief* due to a "lack" of evidence of his existance, not from specific and material *Proof* that he does not exist.
See what I mean?
Peace
Totally! Anyone saying he believes god does not exist (and understands the implications) is as much a fool as he that says I believe in god. Only fools live adult lives in fantasyland.(Spoken as a scientist, not as a humanist)

When I do acknowledge my humanistic side (rarely), I understand the fact that believing, even living, fantasies is not always bad. Illogical, but not evil. A good friend (who happens to be living with me until he gets his spend-thrift ass out of credit card debt) is deeply religious. Religious to the point that we have agreed that he won't try to convert this pontificating hedonistic heathen, and I won't keep calling him an idiot! Anyway, his mother died recently, and I don't think he could have survived the loss without his faith. And many members of his congregation (very liberal- he's queer, like me) were extremely kind and generous to him. So, for him his faith makes his fantasy fact.(And he has severe OCD and ADD). But I think religions fulfill similar function in many people's lives. There is nothing wrong with that. And I understand that the faithful get defensive when someone tries to pull away that security blanket. With him, I (try to) keep my big mouth closed. He is fragile.

You, on the other hand, are fair game!!:-)
Hawk

Phenix City, AL

#285 Aug 8, 2008
Hedonist:"Then you are not listening to the atheistic position. Atheists do not feel the need to make up answers to questions"

I hear you. But the people I refer to claim to be atheist. Now, why they simply do not answer "I don't know" - You're guess is as good as mine.

I am a Christian but I grew up pretty much on math and sciences before *really* getting involved in religion. Some Christians have looked at me in weird ways when I say what I said above. One essentially said I was a heretic because I did not take a literal translation on several points.

I've met some decent athiest and some that are not so decent. But we have those types in every group (some groups more than others).
Out and Proud

Palm Desert, CA

#286 Aug 8, 2008
Lil Ticked wrote:
Even absolute logic can be fooled.
As can absolute faith.
Idi O Syncrasy

Patterson, CA

#287 Aug 8, 2008
LifeLong Atheist wrote:
There isn't much difference between an American atheist & an American religious person. They both believe in something. Both have been raise in this culture and therefore have the similar morals/social values. The problem is when they do not understand the difference between the perception of reality & actual reality.
Good points all, particularly when you write;
"Both have been raise in this culture and therefore have the similar morals/social values."

Ironically, those morals and values are the product of Judeao-Christian foundations and principles from the Holy Scriptures, God's breathed word.

These standards of social conduct and values are so ingrained in western society, not just American, that many people take for granted where they originated.

So.....the atheist is actually playing out their life's role with a script, following Godly inspired direction, regardless of atheistic denial.
Kind of gives you a warm fuzzy, don't it?

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#288 Aug 8, 2008
Idi O Syncrasy wrote:
<quoted text>
"Both have been raise in this culture and therefore have the similar morals/social values."
Ironically, those morals and values are the product of Judeao-Christian foundations and principles from the Holy Scriptures, God's breathed word.
These standards of social conduct and values are so ingrained in western society, not just American, that many people take for granted where they originated.
So.....the atheist is actually playing out their life's role with a script, following Godly inspired direction, regardless of atheistic denial.
So only people who have a Judeao-Christian foundation have morals?

“Evolution of Consciousness”

Since: Jul 07

Monkey Shines

#289 Aug 8, 2008
Out and Proud wrote:
<quoted text>
Totally! Anyone saying he believes god does not exist (and understands the implications) is as much a fool as he that says I believe in god. Only fools live adult lives in fantasyland.(Spoken as a scientist, not as a humanist)
When I do acknowledge my humanistic side (rarely), I understand the fact that believing, even living, fantasies is not always bad. Illogical, but not evil. A good friend (who happens to be living with me until he gets his spend-thrift ass out of credit card debt) is deeply religious. Religious to the point that we have agreed that he won't try to convert this pontificating hedonistic heathen, and I won't keep calling him an idiot! Anyway, his mother died recently, and I don't think he could have survived the loss without his faith. And many members of his congregation (very liberal- he's queer, like me) were extremely kind and generous to him. So, for him his faith makes his fantasy fact.(And he has severe OCD and ADD). But I think religions fulfill similar function in many people's lives. There is nothing wrong with that. And I understand that the faithful get defensive when someone tries to pull away that security blanket. With him, I (try to) keep my big mouth closed. He is fragile.
'
LOL @ last line... OK, fair enough...

Just keep in mind that I'm not actually a "Baptist"... I'm not a big fan of religion, but as you said, some people do seem to benefit, at least in some regard, such as coping ability. I'm more of what I call a "seeker" ... still looking for answers, that is. Check my profile if ya' like, to see a synopsis of what I think so far.... then,... let 'er Rip!!

Peace!

“Evolution of Consciousness”

Since: Jul 07

Monkey Shines

#290 Aug 8, 2008
Out and Proud wrote:
<quoted text>
Totally! Anyone saying he believes god does not exist (and understands the implications) is as much a fool as he that says I believe in god.

'
PS: Here's a link to some thoughts about what Jesus' true significance may be... would be interested in your thoughts!
(and anyone else's!)

http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T54FIH4...

Peace!
Out and Proud

Palm Desert, CA

#291 Aug 8, 2008
<quoted text>
'
LOL @ last line... OK, fair enough...
Just keep in mind that I'm not actually a "Baptist"... I'm not a big fan of religion, but as you said, some people do seem to benefit, at least in some regard, such as coping ability. I'm more of what I call a "seeker" ... still looking for answers, that is. Check my profile if ya' like, to see a synopsis of what I think so far.... then,... let 'er Rip!!
Peace!
Glad you laughed. Mission accomplished!

“xcntrik.wordpres s.com”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#292 Aug 8, 2008
Out and Proud wrote:
<quoted text>
As can absolute faith.
Ouch.

That's poetic.

“There is no such thing”

as a reasonable person

#293 Aug 9, 2008
Out and Proud wrote:
<quoted text>
As can absolute faith.
Yes it can
:)

“There is no such thing”

as a reasonable person

#294 Aug 9, 2008
Xcntrik InVidor wrote:
<quoted text>
Ouch.
That's poetic.
Didn't hurt at all.
It was a good point.

Since: Jul 08

woodbridge

#295 Aug 9, 2008
atheists are going to heaven for strengthening the faith of believers.
Out and Proud

Palm Desert, CA

#296 Aug 9, 2008
<quoted text>
'
PS: Here's a link to some thoughts about what Jesus' true significance may be... would be interested in your thoughts!
(and anyone else's!)
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T54FIH4...
Peace!
Thanks Darwin.

I will explore it. But...right now I have to get out of this desert. It is hot, Hot, HOT!

Retreating to cooler climes. For as long as the money holds out. He, he. Hoping for a month. Planning for 2 weeks,

OK, you kids play nice! I don't want to come home to a train wreck!
Idi O Syncrasy

Patterson, CA

#297 Aug 11, 2008
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
So only people who have a Judeao-Christian foundation have morals?
It's a mystery to me, and probably to you, how you pull your above conclusion out of my statement:
********** QUOTE REDUX **********

******** QUOTE REDUX FINI **********

Actually, Hedonist, your moral values, and likely those of all your acquaintances, are based on Judeo-Christian principles.
That would be typical of anyone born and raised in Western society.
That is not to say this is the only source of morals.
You would find, for example, Chinese/Asian and Islamic morals to be based on different principles and values.
Some other societies would provide yet another set of values behind their morals.
But they are morals none the less.
Anne

United States

#298 Aug 11, 2008
I am not an athesit but my husband is. Asking an Atheist to believe and swear his or her eternal soul to God is like asking a believer to beleive in and swear an eternal oath to Dracula. Throughout the history of earth people having fighting over land. what is the best way to keep your folowers form thinking you would kill them like you killed the people whoe previously lived on the land? You tell them that they worshipped a false God or Gods. I mean how many people would follow someone who just kills people and takes thier stuff. Some but not an entire population. So with each new take over came a new spin on an old idea. Because some of the stpries we have about Christ are directly mirrored from other religions. Take for instance the flood story. And while I think it wwould be narcissitic to think that in all the universe we are the most advanced, I also think man got it all wrong. Look at the meeting of Niceese( misspelled I know), a bunch of men got together and decided what would and would not be in the Bible. They also owned their wives and children as well as thier slaves. So a bunch of men who did not even practice what God was supposed to be all about sat down and said this is what God wants the people to know. How can they lay out for the rest of the world what to do and haow to do what God wants if they did not even practice it themselves. And all religions based on the Bible are wrong because the Bible is not complete. It's like only reading A-J in a set of encyclopedias and thinking you know everything from A-Z.
Anne

United States

#299 Aug 11, 2008
And if God is the only way why did christians take religious holidays from other religions. There was the winter solstice before Jesus was ever born. Also early Christians biult their Churches on pagean ritual sites. And then later called these people witches and evil. The christians could not get enough people to believe the way they did so they built on the ritual sites to get more people to come. And for a religion that preaches love and tolerance they sure did kill a lot of poeple to make them believe in God. The holy crusades was a war waged by Christians to convert the entire world. For ant that refused...death. I believe in GOd and still know all that.
Idi O Syncrasy

Patterson, CA

#300 Aug 11, 2008
Anne, most of what you are claiming, in both of your posts, is unsupported by history and fact.
For one example, compare this allegation of yours below to the historical truth as set forth in the encyclopedia.
Anne wrote:
..........edit)..
And for a religion that preaches love and tolerance they sure did kill a lot of poeple to make them believe in God. The holy crusades was a war waged by Christians to convert the entire world. For ant that refused...death. I believe in GOd and still know all that.
"Crusades

?(kr?s&#257;dz), series of wars undertaken by European Christians between the 11th and 14th cent. to recover the Holy Land from the Muslims.

First Crusade
Origins

In the 7th cent., Jerusalem was taken by the caliph Umar. Pilgrimages (see pilgrim) were not cut off at first, but early in the 11th cent. the Fatimid caliph Hakim began to persecute the Christians and despoiled the Holy Sepulcher. Persecution abated after his death (1021), but relations remained strained and became more so when Jerusalem passed (1071) from the comparatively tolerant Egyptians to the Seljuk Turks, who in the same year defeated the Byzantine emperor Romanus IV at Manzikert....."
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>> + <<<<<<< <<<<<<< <<<<<

You see Anne, the Crusades were wars to regain Christian lands taken violently by Muslims from Christian rulers and Christian peoples.
Those Christians that did not convert to Islam by force were put to the sword.

The Crusades were not an evangelistic venture and the countries they occured in were Christian already.
They are the lands where Jesus and the Apostles walked and preached, the birthplace of Christianity, The Holy Land.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#301 Aug 11, 2008
Idi O Syncrasy wrote:
<quoted text>
...Actually, Hedonist, your moral values, and likely those of all your acquaintances, are based on Judeo-Christian principles.
That would be typical of anyone born and raised in Western society.
That is not to say this is the only source of morals.
You would find, for example, Chinese/Asian and Islamic morals to be based on different principles and values.
Some other societies would provide yet another set of values behind their morals.
But they are morals none the less.
Thank you for clarifying your statement.

So, morals are not unique to the Judeo-Christian peoples, then it would follow that religion is not required for someone to lead a moral life. That seems like a reasonable position.
Oriana

United States

#302 Aug 11, 2008
who owned the land before the Christians did. It was a dispute over land. Christians were not the first people to own the holy lands.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 7 min confrinting with ... 670,527
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 8 min Brandy trujillo 980,315
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 10 min Shiralee 445,671
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 13 min Sky Writer 31 184,305
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 1 hr Farting Hillary 101,143
what are the physical differences between india... (Jun '09) 3 hr Blackwomenrule 89
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 4 hr David C Pumpkins 286,468
More from around the web