“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Since: Nov 07

Bakersfield, CA

#181493 Aug 25, 2014
NEWS-FLASH wrote:
<quoted text>Ain't you supposed to be on the porch?
Ok, I'll shut up now...
No need to shut up, Flash.

Yup, I'm still on the porch.

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#181494 Aug 25, 2014
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>I don't think it is an exaggeration of any kind, bob, and since both Hip and you have put me in this conversation, I think I'll decline to grant my leave just yet.
Back in?
Like the hokey pokey?

You put you right foot in...
You take your right foot out...
You put your right foot in and...

Or back in for the last word?

Location hidden

#181495 Aug 25, 2014
Rider on the Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree, imagine that.
While I disagree with your perspective it was interesting reading it.
Which perspective was that?

The one where the cops were at fault for overdressing for the occasion?
The one where the looters and fire bombers should have behaved better?

Or the newly emerging hybrid where they were BOTH at fault?
Which kinda puts it back on the police.

If ...then.
If ...then.

hmmmm...

Location hidden

#181496 Aug 25, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>I think that speaks more of the right's morbid fascination with Obama as a person than it does with "liberalism" as a platform.
I'm not buying the whole "personal" angle.
These are high $take politics at they're highest.

It wouldn't matter who from the left was in charge.
And when the players get reversed ...It won't matter again!

Badda - bing ...
Badda - boom!

Location hidden

#181498 Aug 25, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Such life experience engenders a certain amount of pride in our accomplishments, and rightly so.

At the same time one should guard against an overweening pride which assumes a smug superiority forgetting that others of us with similar life experience developed a different, equally valid, view of the social contract.
Social contract?
Link please.

Is that akin to "Moral Obligation?"

*Please spare me the Declaration of Independence or the Constitution.
Thanks in advance!

“2016 No Clinton No Bush!”

Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

#181499 Aug 25, 2014
NEWS-FLASH wrote:
Did somebody say punch-line?
Right on cue!<quoted text>And no ...I do not like green eggs and ham!
Look'in like nobody's to blame!
The rioters are to blame for the rioting.

Got that? Just to make sure - I said the rioters are to blame for the rioting.

Can you accept that I say that?*

I believe that, handled differently, the situation would not have developed to the point where the rioters had an excuse. That's all I've been trying to say all along.

I say that for a couple of reasons, starting with rioting ain't really a St. Louis thing. The Missouri side made it through the 60s without black riots, for cryin' out loud. The second reason is that the Michael Brown shooting is something that happens all too often, and riots are an extremely unusual response.

(* Well ... you probably can. The question is, will you, and that's not looking good...)

Location hidden

#181500 Aug 25, 2014
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Two hours ago I asked you why you had not responded to the issue of the judgicons.
But you've apparently switched to your "ignore mode".
First, can you tell me why I should answer YOUR questions in detail, when you choose to not even post a passing comment on both the original response, AND the reminder 2 hours ago?
Second, don't you find it just a LEETLE bit strange that you've been arguing back and forth with
a junkyard DOG lolling idly on the porch?
Hey!
You got a "mean face" judgicon on this one!

Guess it means that (anonymous) person didn't read your post.

Don't you just hate it when that happens!

I know ...I know ...I digress!

Location hidden

#181501 Aug 25, 2014
Freebird USA wrote:
<quoted text>
What my circumstances demonstrated to me was the ability to succeed frequently requires persistence and determination in the face of setbacks and failures.My opinions are based on my recognition that i'm not special. I just refused to quit.If I can do so can many others who came from the the same circumstances.
Strength and Honor wrote:
<quoted text>
Well said.
Yep!

Location hidden

#181502 Aug 25, 2014
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>The rioters are to blame for the rioting.
Got that? Just to make sure - I said the rioters are to blame for the rioting.
Can you accept that I say that?*
I believe that, handled differently, the situation would not have developed to the point where the rioters had an excuse. That's all I've been trying to say all along.
I say that for a couple of reasons, starting with rioting ain't really a St. Louis thing. The Missouri side made it through the 60s without black riots, for cryin' out loud. The second reason is that the Michael Brown shooting is something that happens all too often, and riots are an extremely unusual response.
(* Well ... you probably can. The question is, will you, and that's not looking good...)
The rioters are to blame...but...but ...but ...
Is that the jist of it?
--
Here is State Senator Maria Chappelle-Nadal explaining that it's NOT the local residents who are responsible for the chaos.

If we believe in her comment that this shooting was an opportunity for outsiders to loot and disrupt then clearly the outcome was going to be the same regardless of the initial police procedure.

I'll concede that all behaviors influence outcomes, however, if this is case above ...then not so much.

Sorry if I painted you wrongly.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

#181503 Aug 25, 2014
NEWS-FLASH wrote:
<quoted text>Hey!
You got a "mean face" judgicon on this one!
Guess it means that (anonymous) person didn't read your post.
Don't you just hate it when that happens!
Actually I've said all along, I'd much rather have a good "edit" feature, than the dumb icons.

Been a member of 4-5 other boards on various subjects, and this is the 1st major league board I've ever come across without an edit. It can't be that difficult to change.

Location hidden

#181504 Aug 25, 2014
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually I've said all along, I'd much rather have a good "edit" feature, than the dumb icons.
Been a member of 4-5 other boards on various subjects, and this is the 1st major league board I've ever come across without an edit. It can't be that difficult to change.
I'd settle for a "who judged it" feature.

Sure, send me through a maze of health product ads and some local news stuff before I got there but I'd still probably let my curiosity get the best of me.

However,...that would defeat the Catcher's of the world playing out "the Brave Little Tailor" routine!
;)

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

#181505 Aug 25, 2014
NEWS-FLASH wrote:
<quoted text>I'd settle for a "who judged it" feature.
Sure, send me through a maze of health product ads and some local news stuff before I got there but I'd still probably let my curiosity get the best of me.
However,...that would defeat the Catcher's of the world playing out "the Brave Little Tailor" routine!
;)
LOL!:-D

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#181506 Aug 25, 2014
I spent my life as a conservative (noun) and remain one in many ways but as time passed the essence of who I am emerged and I now identify myself as a conservative(adj) Libertarian.
Seeing the waste and failures of government repeated ad nauseum is what transformed me.
Having witnessed first hand the abuse of average people by government agencies was a turning point. The IRS and the EPA have been running wild for years.
I want the government to keep the country safe for me to carry out my business.
I don't mind contributing to infrastructure through use taxes.
I don't dispute that a safety net is needed for those less fortunate.
I don't need the government to do much else but leave me alone.

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Clearwater and Honolulu

#181507 Aug 25, 2014
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
I had a 1971 Subaru FF-1 for about a year. Put my VW Beetle's gas mileage to shame.
Right now I'm driving an '01 Aztek with 270K on it. Great car, but this old guy can't contort enough to work on it.
Almost bought a Subaru wagon. Talked myself out of it because it had about 130k on it and just didn't feel right. Drove home instead in a Chevy Cruze. These cars can be had quite reasonably here as they are a popular rental model and our (new) three year old was a little under 6 k from its new price. Hip is right on all the crap under the hood. Wouldn't even try.

Location hidden

#181508 Aug 25, 2014
Freebird USA wrote:
I spent my life as a conservative (noun) and remain one in many ways but as time passed the essence of who I am emerged and I now identify myself as a conservative(adj) Libertarian.
Seeing the waste and failures of government repeated ad nauseum is what transformed me.
Having witnessed first hand the abuse of average people by government agencies was a turning point. The IRS and the EPA have been running wild for years.
Why the hell not?
What could possibly happen?

Clearwater and Honolulu

#181509 Aug 25, 2014
Freebird USA wrote:
Indeed. When the nsa stuff came out and I heard Sen. Lindsey Graham say he was fine with giving up his constitutional rights that bothered me quite a bit. I can understand that mindset back in 2001, today not so much. Its clear many in government will use information inappropriately on the right and left. Don't pretend to know what solution we have but I've given my last cent to the rnc.

Clearwater and Honolulu

#181510 Aug 25, 2014
NEWS-FLASH wrote:
<quoted text>Social contract?
Link please.
Is that akin to "Moral Obligation?"
*Please spare me the Declaration of Independence or the Constitution.
Thanks in advance!
Did you hear of this one?

The United States Needs Corporate 'Loyalty Oaths'

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/08...

Location hidden

#181511 Aug 25, 2014
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you hear of this one?
The United States Needs Corporate 'Loyalty Oaths'
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/08...
Nope, but it doesn't surprise me.
Not much does anymore.

Corporate oath -

I promise,
Cross my heart,
Hope to die,
Stick a needle in my eye!

Damn worlds teetering!

Clearwater and Honolulu

#181512 Aug 25, 2014
More news you won't hear because it doesn't fit the narrative.

Man allegedly politely said restaurant wasn't safe for whites because of Michael Brown's killing in Ferguson, Mo.

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/2014/...

Clearwater and Honolulu

#181513 Aug 25, 2014
Welcome to Chicago, any outrage here?

Who would gun down a 9-year-old boy? "I don't understand why anybody would do this."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/brea...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 5 min RiccardoFire 96,845
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 7 min mike 605,301
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 9 min pusherman_ 777,723
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 34 min Al Capone 5,151
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 54 min how g 265,399
Designer sarees Online 1 hr Priya 1
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr how g 560,316
Why Iím no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 14 hr hpcaban 441,809
More from around the web