Bush is a hero

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Since: Nov 07

Bakersfield, CA

#181457 Aug 24, 2014
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>So ... you know enough to think somebody might have thought the disclaimers were 'mean', but you have no idea WHY they might have thought them mean.
Does that about cover it?
Uhh NO!

Better go back and see what you asked me just 2 hours ago, old man.

“Help Cecil Help!”

Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

#181458 Aug 24, 2014
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Uhh NO!
Better go back and see what you asked me just 2 hours ago, old man.
My bad.

Who exactly blah blah blah was about the worst way for me to put the question.

What is it you think somebody else might have found 'mean' about the disclaimers, bob?

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#181459 Aug 24, 2014
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, change the term "arguing" to whatever suits you. Does that make the response any less
strange?
Oh and your clever strategy to spin the gist of the issue away from it's true sense won't work, ricky.
You knew EXACTLY what I meant, but chose to spray fog, instead of actually answering the question. Another ploy duly noted. Hope you're keeping track of these!
Let's see if I got the picture.

You don't consider the platform underlying your political stance to be important enough to be able to relay it, even briefly, in response to a non-combative inquiry,

but

your panties are all wedged up over whether I concur with your assessment of some silly judgits, which I've made plain are of no interest to me in themselves?

The "traditionalist" sense of priority is an ongoing mystery to me.

Yes, bob, it seems to me pretty obvious that the mysterious "they" took umbrance at the disclaimer. Either that or they really hate the Navy?

Brilliant deduction, Watson. Brilliant. You da man.

My question as to "why" remains unanswered. There was no reference to anyone here, living or dead, nor to any political party or particular ideology. So, I wondered at the time, why would someone possibly take issue with the disclaimer, Dr. Watson?

And the fact is, that was so yesterday. I'm totally bored with the subject tonight.

“The future begins”

every moment

#181460 Aug 24, 2014
Freebird USA wrote:
<quoted text>
I suggest working for yourself. You may still end up with nothing more than a rusty rake but at least success or failure would be on your terms. My plan was to pick a state where one could earn a lot of money for ones efforts,NY for instance. Unfortunately the cost of living there is a serious drag on your bottom line.My solution was do business there but live elsewhere. Unconventional? Yes. Did it work? An emphatic YES!!!
That's good advice, and I appreciate it, but I'm heavily invested in my career, and my retirement plan. I am fortunate in that I love my work, most days, am relatively autonomous, and have a great crew. It's been a long road to get here, and therefore I agree totally that I have no patience for malingerers and whiners.

The point originally was, how we came from the same humble beginnings, worked up out of it, and yet developed different senses of the social contract along the way. That's America, bay-bee!
UidiotRaceMakeWo rldPeace

United States

#181461 Aug 24, 2014
Education time! BWahahhhaa

==

Reprise/Forced Sterilizations
Sterilization of Native American Women
Reviewed by Omaha Master's Student

Bruce E. Johansen

For: José Barreiro (editor-in-chief of NATIVE AMERICAS)
September, 1998

International sterilization anecdotes

While developing information about the impact of sterilization on Native American women in the United States, anecdotes popped up from time to time which indicate that sterilization is far from dead as a eugenic prescription for the elimination of Native populations in Latin America.
Christina Lamb reported in the London Sunday Telegraph September 13 that a politician in northeastern Brazil is using sterilization of a diminishing Native tribe to garner votes among non-Indian Brazilians who have taken much of (and want more of) their land.
At least eighty indigenous women of the Pataxuh-he band in the Brazilian state of Bahia have been sterilized by Ronald Lavigne, who is a medical doctor as well as a politician. Lavigne offers sterilization to women (who cannot get other types of birth control) every time he runs for office. Some women have complained after the fact that the finality of tube-tying was not explained to them.
Lamb reports that many of the operations were undertaken on women desperate to reduce the size of their families because many children in the area die of malnutrition.
"This is genocide," Lamb reported Roberto Liebgott, an activist with native peoples in Bahia, to have said. In some villages, every woman of child-bearing age has been sterilized, leading to the probable demise of entire peoples in a generation or two.
For Lavigne, sterilizations are paid back at the ballot box, where a study by the Brazilian Congress estimates that the candidate snags between seven and 25 extra votes for each operation from land owners, many of them recent immigrants, who fully understand their stake in reducing Native populations in the area. Within a few years, Pataxuh-he land holdings have been reduced from 50,000 to 20,000 hectares, according to Lamb. Lavigne is a leading figure in Brazil's right-wing Liberal Front, the party favored by new rich landowners in the Amazon Basin.
Blood also has been spilled over the immigrants insistence that the land's original inhabitants will not challenge their title. Last year, a local leader took his peoples' complaints to Brasilia, the federal capital. Galdino Jesus dos Santos was jumped by a gang of youths at a bus stop in the capital. They beat him, then dumped gasoline over his bruised, battered body and lit a match.
Far from Brasilia, in Omaha, Nebraska, medical personnel at local clinics caring for an influx of Mexican and other Latin American immigrants say that many women come to them complaining of having trouble getting pregnant. The Omaha care-givers are left to tell the women, many of whom are of Mexican Indian ancestry, that they have been sterilized or implanted with IUDs by Mexican doctors. Most of the women express surprise at this, to put it mildly, indicating that any form of consent they may have been given was not comprehended.
The flood of immigration to Omaha has been caused by a vibrant labor market (state unemployment is under 2 per cent) and economic hardship from the Rio Grande southward. The influx is so large that local Immigration and Naturalization Service officials estimate that a quarter of the workers in Nebraska's meat-packing plants are undocumented. The INS has set up a special program, "Operation Prime Beef," to catch them.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

#181462 Aug 24, 2014
Disclaimer #1-----Pg 8649
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
Between the Sharptons and the antiSharptons, I figure there's about zero chance of a productive discussion of what's happening in Ferguson.

The only reason the situation in Ferguson became what it is now is because the police - both the Ferguson Police Department and the St. Louis County PD - are completely and totally incompetent. They went into damage control mode immediately, and in doing that seemed to go out of their way to do everything they possibly could do to further inflame the situation.

Now that Holder's name has appeared, I'm not going to comment further here. The conversation will get entirely too scripted from this point forward.
Disclaimer #2----- Pg 8654
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
An American hero died recently. Leaving aside all the politics, all the haters, all the simple minded twits who cannot talk about this incident except by rote, the crew of this ship were treated very badly by the United States Navy, by Congresses for 45 years, and each succeeding President.

Fair winds and following seas, James Terry Halbardier.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2014/08/20 ...
Disclaimer #3----Pg 8654
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
I normally ignore the judgicon fairy, because only someone with an overwhelming feeling of inadequacy and impotence uses those things.

That said, will somebody please explain to me what's 'mean' about marking the passing of a heroic individual who won (even if belatedly) a Silver Star for bravery in a situation few of us can even IMAGINE?
Now whether it was the overall accrual of your disclaimers, or whether it was ONE of the disclaimers, or if it was the one accompanying the Hero story (misread or not) is pure speculation on my part. All I can offer is my "sense" of what the judgicon user had in mind.

And since the mad hoosier has chimed in, I believe we've reached the end of this road.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

#181463 Aug 24, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Let's see if I got the picture.
From what 've just read below, apparently NOT!
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't consider the platform underlying your political stance to be important enough to be able to relay it, even briefly, in response to a non-combative inquiry,
but
your panties are all wedged up over whether I concur with your assessment of some silly judgits, which I've made plain are of no interest to me in themselves?
The "traditionalist" sense of priority is an ongoing mystery to me.
There IS no "brief response" to my ideological platform positions, ricky. That's why I suggested taking the issues one at a time. If you don't "get" that, I'm pretty sure you're not worthy of even having the discussion. And let's also not forget, spike. You told me to "stop whining or go sit on the porch." (like a junkyard DOG).

And my underwear is NOYB, but since you made the comment: If you (or anyone else) posts a
<GD> comment or a question to me, and I take the time to respond, I expect the same courtesy from you (or anyone else). If nothing else, at least have the courtesy to reply "no comment" or whatever.
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, bob, it seems to me pretty obvious that the mysterious "they" took umbrance at the disclaimer. Either that or they really hate the Navy?
Brilliant deduction, Watson. Brilliant. You da man.
My question as to "why" remains unanswered. There was no reference to anyone here, living or dead, nor to any political party or particular ideology. So, I wondered at the time, why would someone possibly take issue with the disclaimer, Dr. Watson?
And the fact is, that was so yesterday. I'm totally bored with the subject tonight.
You stole my Sherlock Holmes lines, but yes, THAT WAS the polite answer I was looking for.
Wasn't too painful now was it, ricky??? Even if it was a junkyard DOG you were addressing.

So in the future, just for reference, I should expect you to respond or ignore any or all of my msgs depending on how "bored" you are with the subject at a particular time or date?

United States

#181464 Aug 24, 2014
Jeff Cohen and Norman Solomon, Through the Media Looking Glass, p188

U.S. media outlets usually don't set their own foreign news agenda; they let the White House lead. And American administrations are anything but "objective"—their P.R. goal is to highlight brutal enemies, while turning the spotlight away from brutal friends.

Take the case of Saddam Hussein. Prior to Iraq's 1990 invasion of Kuwait, when Hussein was a U.S. ally, the dictator's crimes were well-documented—but hardly mentioned in American media. In 1985, for example, Amnesty International issued a report detailing Iraq's torture of hundreds of children to extract information about their relatives. It met with a giant yawn in the U.S. media.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

#181465 Aug 24, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>your panties are all wedged up over whether I concur with your assessment of some silly judgits, which I've made plain are of no interest to me in themselves?
One final point b4 I forget, Mr HighNosis!

Your cyberpal left his usual policy to address the "silly judgits", and ask about the "mean" icon.
I thought I might be able to provide a logical answer for Widlow, reckoning that the one who used them would likely not be willing to come forward.

YOU took it upon yourself to post your own comments and ask if I was the judgicon fairy, and why I "knew" the answers. If you weren't "interested", ya should have opted out of responding in the 1st place (IMO).

United States

#181466 Aug 24, 2014
Unworthy Citizens, Eva Kuras, Z magazine, May 2005, p6
"
Researchers Uggen, Manza, and Behrens note, "The role of race in driving the adoption or extension of disfranchising measures aimed at felons or former felons fits, therefore, into a much larger historical pattern: white political elites employing racial stereotypes and fears of crime to eliminate core citizenship rights of large numbers of African Americans."

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#181467 Aug 24, 2014
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
From what 've just read below, apparently NOT!
<quoted text>
There IS no "brief response" to my ideological platform positions, ricky. That's why I suggested taking the issues one at a time. If you don't "get" that, I'm pretty sure you're not worthy of even having the discussion. And let's also not forget, spike. You told me to "stop whining or go sit on the porch." (like a junkyard DOG).
And my underwear is NOYB, but since you made the comment: If you (or anyone else) posts a
<GD> comment or a question to me, and I take the time to respond, I expect the same courtesy from you (or anyone else). If nothing else, at least have the courtesy to reply "no comment" or whatever.
<quoted text>
You stole my Sherlock Holmes lines, but yes, THAT WAS the polite answer I was looking for.
Wasn't too painful now was it, ricky??? Even if it was a junkyard DOG you were addressing.
So in the future, just for reference, I should expect you to respond or ignore any or all of my msgs depending on how "bored" you are with the subject at a particular time or date?
Honestly.
The icon fixation has ruined your credibility!
Who in their right mind cares about them?
- yikes!

I have always thought you a - hot head, mean spirit..
Now you just look foolish!

Haha.
A fool in d*cks. clothing..

Would you ever take the place of James Foley."
Mr. Bad Bob? Tough guy.

Location hidden

#181468 Aug 24, 2014
UidiotRaceMakeWorldPeace wrote:
Jeff Cohen and Norman Solomon, Through the Media Looking Glass, p188
U.S. media outlets usually don't set their own foreign news agenda; they let the White House lead. And American administrations are anything but "objective"—their P.R. goal is to highlight brutal enemies, while turning the spotlight away from brutal friends.
Take the case of Saddam Hussein. Prior to Iraq's 1990 invasion of Kuwait, when Hussein was a U.S. ally, the dictator's crimes were well-documented—but hardly mentioned in American media. In 1985, for example, Amnesty International issued a report detailing Iraq's torture of hundreds of children to extract information about their relatives. It met with a giant yawn in the U.S. media.
Aren't we simply sheep over here in the USA??
The majority doesn't care!

And the rest just want to feed themselves.

United States

#181469 Aug 24, 2014
Le_le wrote:
<quoted text>
Aren't we simply sheep over here in the USA??
The majority doesn't care!
And the rest just want to feed themselves.
Yep Sheeeples to slaughter here is why
Marc Mark , takes the floor of the House on March 9 , 1982,
Liberty Under Siege - Walter Karp,
President and his cronies whose belief in Hooverism has blinded them to the wretchedness and to the suffering they are inflicting... on the sick, the poor, the handicapped, the blue-collar, the white-collar workers, the small-business person, the black community, the community of minorities generally, women of all economic and social backgrounds, men and women who desperately need job training, families that deserve and desire to send their children to college

United States

#181470 Aug 24, 2014
Howard Zinn, America's Blinders, The Progressive magazine, April 2006
'
Our present leaders a... bombard us with phrases like “national interest,”“national security,” and “national defense” as if all of these concepts applied equally to all of us, colored or white, rich or poor, as if General Motors and Halliburton have the same interests as the rest of us, as if George Bush has the same interest as the young man or woman he sends to war.

In the history of secrets, withheld from the American people, this is the biggest secret: that there are classes with different interests in this country. To ignore that-not to know that the history of our country is a history of slaveowner against slave, landlord against tenant, corporation against worker, rich against poor-is to render us helpless before all the lesser lies told to us by people in power.

If we as citizens start out with an understanding that these people up there-the President, the Congress, the Supreme Court, all those institutions pretending to be “checks and balances”-do not have our interests at heart, we are on a course towards the truth. Not to know that is to make us helpless before determined liars.
Roberta G

Paris, TN

#181471 Aug 24, 2014
Hello, folks. Am I still welcome here? And by the way, I LOVE the re-decorating :)

Location hidden

#181472 Aug 24, 2014
UidiotRaceMakeWorldPeace wrote:
Howard Zinn, America's Blinders, The Progressive magazine, April 2006
'
Our present leaders a... bombard us with phrases like “national interest,”“national security,” and “national defense” as if all of these concepts applied equally to all of us, colored or white, rich or poor, as if General Motors and Halliburton have the same interests as the rest of us, as if George Bush has the same interest as the young man or woman he sends to war.
In the history of secrets, withheld from the American people, this is the biggest secret: that there are classes with different interests in this country. To ignore that-not to know that the history of our country is a history of slaveowner against slave, landlord against tenant, corporation against worker, rich against poor-is to render us helpless before all the lesser lies told to us by people in power.
If we as citizens start out with an understanding that these people up there-the President, the Congress, the Supreme Court, all those institutions pretending to be “checks and balances”-do not have our interests at heart, we are on a course towards the truth. Not to know that is to make us helpless before determined liars.
We are so very helpless.

Haven't we always been though?

Have we ever truly had a say??
( I'm speaking of the average US citizen).
Lost In Transition

United States

#181473 Aug 24, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>
I wonder if you know how close to the subject that is.
I've bought Ford products for some time now. Currently my work "fleet" is an F350 and an F150, and my personal is a Ranger. A few years ago, my errant wife went and bought a damned Ty-oter RAV.
I still don't know about all the computer stuff (my Auto Mech was juuust prior to emission controls) but I can easily change a hose, a belt, a brake, a plug, a heater core, and so on on that Jap car. The Merc on the other hand is crammed into it's space like a giant hand smashed it together.
Last American car I owned was an early 90s baby brother of your Sable, a Merc Topaz. The car was great at getting from point A to point B as long as you kept it moving. Hit a red light or a stop sign, and it would shut itself off and take a 10 minute siesta. Threw parts at it for the better part of two years 'till one of my boys did me a favor and squashed it. I have driven Toyota trucks since the mid 80s, and Subaru sedans since that narcoleptic Topaz.

“The future begins”

every moment

#181474 Aug 25, 2014
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
One final point b4 I forget, Mr HighNosis!
Your cyberpal left his usual policy to address the "silly judgits", and ask about the "mean" icon.
I thought I might be able to provide a logical answer for Widlow, reckoning that the one who used them would likely not be willing to come forward.
YOU took it upon yourself to post your own comments and ask if I was the judgicon fairy, and why I "knew" the answers. If you weren't "interested", ya should have opted out of responding in the 1st place (IMO).
Ooookaaaay, Mr. Obvious. You nailed it. The next time I need someone to confirm the color of the sky, you're my goto guru, and I'll be sure to affirm your confirm.

You've got your responses and respondents mixed up there, but no matter. Somebody's in danger of becoming a parody of themselves.

Just sayin', is all I'm sayin'.........

“The future begins”

every moment

#181475 Aug 25, 2014
Lost In Transition wrote:
<quoted text>
Last American car I owned was an early 90s baby brother of your Sable, a Merc Topaz. The car was great at getting from point A to point B as long as you kept it moving. Hit a red light or a stop sign, and it would shut itself off and take a 10 minute siesta. Threw parts at it for the better part of two years 'till one of my boys did me a favor and squashed it. I have driven Toyota trucks since the mid 80s, and Subaru sedans since that narcoleptic Topaz.
I had a Subaru once, way back, between marriages. Cute little wagon. As you know, there ain't a lot of them on the used car market, which is a pretty good indicator of quality,'cos people hold on to them. Unfortunately, I got the one year that Consumer Reports gave a black spot. Neat little car, between trips to the shop, and waiting for the rowboat from Japan to bring parts.

Ms Hip's Toyota's have been very good, very reliable. Last one finally left with 240K, and in fact was sold to a friends daughter, where it's still in service. She just bought another one - a 99 RAV with 28K actual. Them dang Nipponese - sneakin' in with quality and such. The nerve!

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#181476 Aug 25, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>That's good advice, and I appreciate it, but I'm heavily invested in my career, and my retirement plan. I am fortunate in that I love my work, most days, am relatively autonomous, and have a great crew. It's been a long road to get here, and therefore I agree totally that I have no patience for malingerers and whiners.
The point originally was, how we came from the same humble beginnings, worked up out of it, and yet developed different senses of the social contract along the way. That's America, bay-bee!
Fair enough assessment of our differences.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 1 min Nohweh 55,906
Does anybody know Doctor REALITY'S race or nati... 1 min Johnny 39
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 6 min Al Capone 2,292
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 7 min Steve III 649,766
Why Australians should fear Muslims? (Feb '15) 22 min Rosa_Winkel 45
Will Atheism defeat religion by year 2038? (Feb '15) 25 min Rosa_Winkel 69
TRUTH about illegal aliens (Aug '14) 42 min Johnny 13
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 hr Just Saying 972,381
Moms having sex with their sons (Aug '12) Fri Noname 69
More from around the web