“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#181394 Aug 23, 2014
Lost In Transition wrote:
<quoted text>
I've been watching them whipper-snappers since the regionals, picked the 2 teams that eventually made it into the US finals. Thought Nevada's pitching would beat Chicago's hitting.... thought wrong. Hopefully Korea is out of pitchers, and we get a good old fashioned slug-fest.
Of course I thought Chicago would make it, but because of their proven hitting, not just because they're the regional fav. But I expected Pennsylvania to advance UNTIL they started getting all the media attention. That's just too much pressure for a 12-13 yr old kid, SI cover curse notwithstanding. Pitchers already have a big load, and the added pressure got to 'em, as I think it did Nevada.

Did you notice the crumbling start in the 5th inning? I mean, they had the lead. If you've ever played or coached youth ball, you surely got that Uh-Oh feeling after that kid walked his first batter. He had just struck out the previous batter, but after one walk he was obviously stressing out about it. The other kids pick up on it, which you could also see on the second baseman's face, and it's a down-hill train that's hard to stop.

I'm sure it hurts, but I hope the coach makes them realize that they made it one step below the top of an enormous pyramid, comprised of thousands of players in leagues across the nation. It's a heck of an accomplishment, and I hope they all use this as a leaping off point for a good life.

Great series, great game.

“The future begins”

every moment

#181395 Aug 23, 2014
Rider on the Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
What BB said..........
I hope you read EVERYthing BB said.....

Why did you assume positions that weren't written? Why didn't you ask instead? I'm really interested, why people do that.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Since: Nov 07

Bakersfield, CA

#181396 Aug 23, 2014
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>I don't think it is an exaggeration of any kind, bob, and since both Hip and you have put me in this conversation, I think I'll decline to grant my leave just yet.
First, I say it's a gross exaggeration b/c it's only been a day & a half that ricky told me to "stop whining or stay on the porch", like an old dog. Sorry, but I take offense to that reference.

Second, I only referred to you in a COMPARATIVE sense
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>
In this case Hip and Catcher were right. It was downright silly of me to think there'd be a discussion of this case that amounted to more than the waste it's been.
Of course they were right, but only by coming in the back door. Look, it's fairly simple. You cannot expect EVERYone in here to post back & forth without making errors, and assigning "wrongful positions" on occasion. We've already agreed that most all in here are guilty of that. People that are NOT news junkies like you (and ricky) may have various other items racing thru their minds during post time (pun intended). State the correction and move on (IMO). If it occurs again, restate the correction. After that, the poster is not worth the trouble (IMO).

And there are others (like me) that are sick to death of the Ferguson story. The freaking media
has chosen to cover this thing as if there's nothing else happening in the world. I feel quite capable of going a few rounds (acceptable to you) on this story, but I refuse b/c as I said above, I'm sick of it.

And BTW, if YOU wanna legitimize the ambulance chaser as a credible regular poster in here, yer on yer own. Other than a few "clever" one liners directed mostly at Lyndi, an outlet for Borowitz, and a frequent text log of his global excursions, etc., he generally contributes NOTHING of topic to this thread.

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

#181397 Aug 23, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>I hope you read EVERYthing BB said.....
Why did you assume positions that weren't written? Why didn't you ask instead? I'm really interested, why people do that.
How about I thought I understood what he was saying.........

For the record, I have seen his posts explaining his position. He eventually made himself clear. I was just saying I, much like everyone else here misunderstood his original post(s). I'll also add i disagree with him, but not totally. I think the media is far more responsible then the 'Heat'.........

Did my fantasy draft today, Cutler is my QB and Martellus Bennett my backup TE.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

#181398 Aug 23, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Why should he "stay out of it" when you cited him specifically by name?
Yes, and as I just told Wilmer, it was only a comparative reference After that, YOU chose to leave your ignore mode, because YOU were in the mood to give it a go, remember? The personal crap is between you & I ricky. THAT's why I asked him to stay out of it. Unless of course you need him for your "support".
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>
What you are indisposed to recognize is that for days on end the man has stated a simple position relative to the bumbling police handling of the event which inflamed an already tense situation. He has spent the remainder of the time back-tracking and side-winding to defend assumptions that had no basis in his simple >written< position.
I finally offered a couple points this morning, and was met by more of the same. It's not "opinion" on the topic, it's assumption of the writer's "real" intent.
Arrogant statement. Because I chose NOT to enter the discussions on Ferguson, I'm "indisposed to recognize.......". Who died and made YOU the debate referee?

As I also said to Wilbur, I feel quite capable of conversing with him or anyone else about the shooting of Brown in Ferguson. I refused because it's being beaten to death by the entire media.
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>
And No, we don't "all do it since Sept 2007". It is the exclusive domain of a determined few more invested in fog than fact, side-scrabbling over progression, assignation rather than information.
Hog wash. I've been reading in here almost daily since the beginning of this thread, and the
problem you described happened all the time. It's not an ideological issue. I've seen BOTH sides do it.

Now YOU yourself may be ABOVE the main crowd of posters I was describing, but then you ARE the self-appointed MIS-information CZAR, so it would not be unusual to believe you are incapable of such crass behavior.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

#181399 Aug 23, 2014
<quoted text>

For the record, I have seen his posts explaining his position. He eventually made himself clear. I was just saying I, much like everyone else here misunderstood his original post(s). I'll also add i disagree with him, but not totally. I think the media is far more responsible then the 'Heat'.........
Not to worry Larry. In spite of what King Hoosier declares, it's a fairly common problem that has plagued this thread (and likely most other threads on Topix) from the start.

Like I told ya before, you're doin' just fine. Keep on a-truckin' P-L-E-A-S-E-!
UidiotRacemakeWo rldpeace

United States

#181400 Aug 23, 2014
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
First, I say it's a gross exaggeration b/c it's only been a day & a half that ricky told me to "stop whining or stay on the porch", like an old dog. Sorry, but I take offense to that reference.
<quoted text>
Of course they were right, but only by coming in the back door. Look, it's fairly simple. You cannot expect EVERYone in here to post back & forth without making errors, and assigning "wrongful positions" on occasion. We've already agreed that most all in here are guilty of that. People that are NOT news junkies like you (and ricky) may have various other items racing thru their minds during post time (pun intended). State the correction and move on (IMO). If it occurs again, restate the correction. After that, the poster is not worth the trouble (IMO).
And there are others (like me) that are sick to death of the Ferguson story. The freaking media
has chosen to cover this thing as if there's nothing else happening in the world. I feel quite capable of going a few rounds (acceptable to you) on this story, but I refuse b/c as I said above, I'm sick of it.
And BTW, if YOU wanna legitimize the ambulance chaser as a credible regular poster in here, yer on yer own. Other than a few "clever" one liners directed mostly at Lyndi, an outlet for Borowitz, and a frequent text log of his global excursions, etc., he generally contributes NOTHING of topic to this thread.
Is it coming down u pipes... Bahahahaaa

That crooked corporatist controlled mass media want to incite a race war? and War/arms manufacturers will make a killing, security firms make a killing ... profiting from misery of humanity! Evil !

Henry Kissinger, in an address to the Bilderberg Group at Evian, France, May 21, 1992, and transcribed from a tape recording made by a Swiss delegate, Michael Ringier, Publisher and CEO of Ringier Inc.

"
Today, Americans would be outraged if UN troops entered Los Angeles to restore order; tomorrow, they will be grateful. This is especially true if they were told there was an outside threat from beyond, whether real or promulgated, that threatened our very existence. It is then that all people of the world will plead with world leaders to deliver them from this evil. The one thing every man fears is the unknown. When presented with this scenario, individual rights will be willingly relinquished for the guarantee of their well-being granted to them by their world government.

bhahahhaaa

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

#181401 Aug 23, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>I hope you read EVERYthing BB said.....
Speaking of fogs, recently, Wellington posted a story of a WW2 NAVY hero finally recognized for his bravery under fire. But then someone used the judgicon icons to show W's post as being mean, along with perhaps 2 other icons I don't recall.

WWW went on to question the "icon fairy" why ANYone would consider the story "mean". Shortly thereafter, I answered that I got the sense that it was more his disclaimer statement which was being judged "mean", not the subject matter itself.

I didn't remind Walter at the time, that he'd made 1 or 2 other similar disclaimers in that vicinity, that were fairly harsh, something about the Sharptons and the anti-Sharptons need not respond (paraphrasing).

Shortly after that, YOU chimed in saying you "really had no idea what caused people to think the story was "mean"." (again paraphrasing).

It was obvious (to me anyway) that the judge-it user was referring to WWW's disclaimer statements, and not the NAVAL hero story. Yet you were "amazed" that anyone would consider the story "mean."

If you think I'm just "doggin'" you on this ricky , go back & read it again. It was only 2-3 days ago.
UidiotRacemakeWo rldpeace

United States

#181402 Aug 23, 2014
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
And your contribution , AS MOST OF YOUR POST is not thing but hot air and calling other trolls and offer nonsensical crap , and U incestantly nagging like an old fishwife day i and day out, sad to be you! MahbABABABAAAA

“2016 No Clinton No Bush!”

Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

#181403 Aug 23, 2014
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Speaking of fogs, recently, Wellington posted a story of a WW2 NAVY hero finally recognized for his bravery under fire. But then someone used the judgicon icons to show W's post as being mean, along with perhaps 2 other icons I don't recall.
WWW went on to question the "icon fairy" why ANYone would consider the story "mean". Shortly thereafter, I answered that I got the sense that it was more his disclaimer statement which was being judged "mean", not the subject matter itself.
I didn't remind Walter at the time, that he'd made 1 or 2 other similar disclaimers in that vicinity, that were fairly harsh, something about the Sharptons and the anti-Sharptons need not respond (paraphrasing).
Shortly after that, YOU chimed in saying you "really had no idea what caused people to think the story was "mean"." (again paraphrasing).
It was obvious (to me anyway) that the judge-it user was referring to WWW's disclaimer statements, and not the NAVAL hero story. Yet you were "amazed" that anyone would consider the story "mean."
If you think I'm just "doggin'" you on this ricky , go back & read it again. It was only 2-3 days ago.
Bob, WWII was over 22 years, a month, and two days by June 9, 1967. That's when the action took place that got the hero his Silver Star (a couple of decades late).

The disclaimers were there because of who attacked the ship, bob. If it had been the Germans, the Japanese, or even the Vietnamese there would have been no need for disclaimers.

My guess is the judgicon fairy just didn't read, but reacted to who posted.

“2016 No Clinton No Bush!”

Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

#181404 Aug 23, 2014
Okay ... should have read WWII IN EUROPE was over ...

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

#181405 Aug 23, 2014
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
An American hero died recently. Leaving aside all the politics, all the haters, all the simple minded twits who cannot talk about this incident except by rote, the crew of this ship were treated very badly by the United States Navy, by Congresses for 45 years, and each succeeding President.
Fair winds and following seas, James Terry Halbardier.
http://www.military.com/daily-news/2014/08/20...
Wally, I've reposted the original to show you what I was yappin' about. I believe it was this sentence that spurred the judgicon user:
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
Leaving aside all the politics, all the haters, all the simple minded twits who cannot talk about this incident except by rote.....
Course I've been wrong (once) b4.

“The future begins”

every moment

#181406 Aug 24, 2014
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Wally, I've reposted the original to show you what I was yappin' about. I believe it was this sentence that spurred the judgicon user:
<quoted text>
Course I've been wrong (once) b4.
He was referring to those who would react to the story due to it being Israel, because such acidic political angst is a significant part of the bigger story.

Did you set the icons? If so, then your "guess" is about as valid as it gets. If not, then Why? Why did YOU feel the need to guess/explain the negative usage? Seems curious to me, is all.

My "guess" - just as valid as yours unless you set them - is that a few aren't even reading with comprehension anymore. They're just reacting to names. You will note that they are consistent - any post from the right side of the aisle gets glowing icons, and vice versa, so......

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Clearwater and Honolulu

#181407 Aug 24, 2014
So yesterday in Tampa the news covered a protest in support of Darren Wilson. I agree with BB that this is way overblown with everything else going on in the world right now. Having said that just like in Sanford it seems people are quite selective at the outrage and I do wonder what will happen here and elsewhere if this "cop that mowed down an unarmed black teen" doesn't go to jail for life. According to one lady here on the news "it happens everyday across America". Lets just scrap the entire justice system and revert to mob rule. From where I stand its not too far off. Just as when people here were chanting justice for Trayvon I say justice for the people. Its quite a shame some clearly don't want that.

“The future begins”

every moment

#181408 Aug 24, 2014
<quoted text>
I was just wondering. There seems to be a trend lately, where the icons very often have no obvious relation to the post. I think some of us have been at this so long, a few aren't even absorbing content any more, they're just reacting to names.

I think if you go back to origins, the bumbling police actions and stone-walling preceded the media attention. In other words, there would not have been such attention if it hadn't been for the >ongoing< litany of goofs by authorities. It was like, what if Gilligan and Jerry Lewis ran a police force? Of course the media is going to be drawn to it like moths to a flame - it was more like a tragi-comic mini-series on Netflix than a real-life story.
<quoted text>Did my fantasy draft today, Cutler is my QB and Martellus Bennett my backup TE.
For me, that would be a tough weekly decision. Cutler has been boom or bust. But they've got an improved OL this year (on paper) and one of the finest WR tandems in the game so maybe we'll finally get to see JC do his thing. Good luck to ya.

Clearwater and Honolulu

#181409 Aug 24, 2014
Sorry should be in support of Brown. Wilson is guilty by default.

Clearwater and Honolulu

#181410 Aug 24, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>
I was just wondering. There seems to be a trend lately, where the icons very often have no obvious relation to the post. I think some of us have been at this so long, a few aren't even absorbing content any more, they're just reacting to names.
I think if you go back to origins, the bumbling police actions and stone-walling preceded the media attention. In other words, there would not have been such attention if it hadn't been for the >ongoing< litany of goofs by authorities. It was like, what if Gilligan and Jerry Lewis ran a police force? Of course the media is going to be drawn to it like moths to a flame - it was more like a tragi-comic mini-series on Netflix than a real-life story.
<quoted text>For me, that would be a tough weekly decision. Cutler has been boom or bust. But they've got an improved OL this year (on paper) and one of the finest WR tandems in the game so maybe we'll finally get to see JC do his thing. Good luck to ya.
As you know I'm a Beck fan. Of late some of his supporters have been hacked off because they view his message of love your fellow man as bunk. Some think its just a never ending show others think while he may really believe it its quite misguided. For example his trip to the border trying to let these kids know somebody cares. I say do what you gota do, say what you gota say and let it ride. You yourself said sometime back the icons are a joke and I agree. Who cares?

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#181411 Aug 24, 2014
Ok heres the deal with the silly judgeicons. Depending on who I suspect of posting them on any of my posts I wear them like a badge of honor.
1. Someone took the time to post them to show pleasure/displeasure at my post.
2. If say Catcher judges me spam/disagree/clueless I know my thought processes are spot on and its an affirmation,likewise if say Lyndi were to agree with me its an affirmation.
Of course I have no way f knowing if either of them use the icons much less bother to use them for my posts but there is my two cents on the subject

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

#181413 Aug 24, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>He was referring to those who would react to the story due to it being Israel, because such acidic political angst is a significant part of the bigger story.
True however, W had similar disclaimers both before and right after his Navy hero story, Could be
a reaction to the sum of them, IDK for sure.
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you set the icons? If so, then your "guess" is about as valid as it gets. If not, then Why? Why did YOU feel the need to guess/explain the negative usage? Seems curious to me, is all.
Uhhh NO It wasn't me that used the negative icons. W came outta his usual policy about them and asked why the "mean" icon. I responded b/c I doubted whoever posted them whould come forth to answer. If someone asks ME if I posted icons, I have NO problem saying so, and will also say why if asked. You should at least know THAT by now, ricky.
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>
My "guess" - just as valid as yours unless you set them - is that a few aren't even reading with comprehension anymore. They're just reacting to names. You will note that they are consistent - any post from the right side of the aisle gets glowing icons, and vice versa, so......
For a second I figured it was the poster on who they were negative. But in that case, it's usually
a white litebulb, a peanut, and spam, or a red X. For them to use the "mean" icon simply meant someone was complaining about text. And since it was most likely NOT the Navy Hero story, that only left one other item.

<To be continued>

“The future begins”

every moment

#181414 Aug 24, 2014
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
As you know I'm a Beck fan.
As you know I'm not. I've always found him an amusing clown, but he's had a certain congenital problem with truthiness. The complete straight-faced lie during the Washington IL tornado disaster was the last straw.
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>Of late some of his supporters have been hacked off because they view his message of love your fellow man as bunk. Some think its just a never ending show others think while he may really believe it its quite misguided. For example his trip to the border trying to let these kids know somebody cares.
While I recognize Beck's budding evolution of a social conscience in the past year, and applaud him for it, guardedly, the problems he's having with his fandom are partly of his own making. It was just a couple years ago, on his TV variety show, that he undertook, over the course of weeks, to re-define and demonize the term "social justice". His viewers gravitated to it, and you even repeated it in here. Now he's making a shift toward that very awareness that he once belittled.

Good for him, in my view, but fans as a whole resist change in "their" star. That's the down-side of niche celebrity - you build a certain fan base, and they resist if/when the celebrity "evolves". It's kinda like when Garth Brooks, at the height of his fame, tried to make a rock record. Fans loathed it, and I'm not sure his fame has ever totally recovered. Ricky Nelson's "Garden Party" song is another example, but I doubt anyone but other old rockers like Willie and bob would get it.
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>I say do what you gota do, say what you gota say and let it ride. You yourself said sometime back the icons are a joke and I agree. Who cares?
Like you said, I put no stock or credence in the icons themselves. I think you may have misunderstood my interest this time.

Besides the interactive discussion aspect of topix, it has also been (to me) an interesting ongoing Sociology 101 class, ie, "the things we do and why we do them". In this case, I'm interested in the icons having evolved from their original purpose as an anonymous "judgment" on a post, to the recent state where icons appear on posts while having seemingly no connection to their content. It's just an idle question, for my own enlightenment, apparently.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 3 min LAWEST100 609,988
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 4 min andet1987 5,699
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 8 min Rosa_Winkel 2,053
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 18 min lightbeamrider 818,423
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr who 270,214
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr Christina La Vey 579,441
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr RiccardoFire 39,987
More from around the web