Bush is a hero

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#181440 Aug 24, 2014
Strength and Honor wrote:
<quoted text>
I drive a '98 Chevy Silverado 3/4 ton 4 x 4 with a 7.4 liter engine. I pray for snow so I can go out and play in it. But I cry real tears at the pump. Working on it is cool because you can get your entire body under the hood.
Oh man. That horse likes to eat. Let me guess - 12 mpg in the summer, 8 in the winter? That's about what our F350 dumper gets with the plow on, a ton of rock in the back, and the hubs locked in.

Oddly for a truck that big, it only has a 17 gal tank, so it doesn't >feel< as bad at the pump, you just gotta do it more.

“The future begins”

every moment

#181441 Aug 24, 2014
Freebird USA wrote:
<quoted text>
What my circumstances demonstrated to me was the ability to succeed frequently requires persistence and determination in the face of setbacks and failures.My opinions are based on my recognition that i'm not special. I just refused to quit.If I can do so can many others who came from the the same circumstances.
Likewise here. I have no patience for those that don't try. Everything around me was earned thru my work, and it took a lifetime so far.

But I also recognize that it's not a level playing field, even for a poor white boy, much less others. I recognize that the system cares not one whit for our individual efforts beyond how we fit into and support the system. I recognize that supply-side theory has had 30+ years to produce general prosperity as advertised, and has not only failed to do so, but we've lost ground. I recognize that nobody's looking out for me but me and my brother. I recognize that the top mgmt is in collusion to wrest the most from me for the least return, so it's only right and logical that me and my "class" do the same. I recognize that after all my work, I will be lucky to leave my kids a rusty rake to share, due to the enormous costs of living too long, and dying. I also recognize that for all our efforts, me and you, we are one unavoidable catastrophe away from being right back down where we started.

Again, it would be extreme arrogance to think that others don't have what I have just because they weren't persistent enough.

Since: Nov 08

Chicago, IL

#181442 Aug 24, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Likewise here. I have no patience for those that don't try. Everything around me was earned thru my work, and it took a lifetime so far.
But I also recognize that it's not a level playing field, even for a poor white boy, much less others. I recognize that the system cares not one whit for our individual efforts beyond how we fit into and support the system. I recognize that supply-side theory has had 30+ years to produce general prosperity as advertised, and has not only failed to do so, but we've lost ground. I recognize that nobody's looking out for me but me and my brother. I recognize that the top mgmt is in collusion to wrest the most from me for the least return, so it's only right and logical that me and my "class" do the same. I recognize that after all my work, I will be lucky to leave my kids a rusty rake to share, due to the enormous costs of living too long, and dying. I also recognize that for all our efforts, me and you, we are one unavoidable catastrophe away from being right back down where we started.
Again, it would be extreme arrogance to think that others don't have what I have just because they weren't persistent enough.
A rusty rake? No bro, my guess is you're going to be leaving your kids a whole lot of love and knowledge for them to prosper in this world. And that's the very least you'll leave them.

“The future begins”

every moment

#181443 Aug 24, 2014
Strength and Honor wrote:
<quoted text>
A rusty rake? No bro, my guess is you're going to be leaving your kids a whole lot of love and knowledge for them to prosper in this world. And that's the very least you'll leave them.
Bless you for saying so. We did our best, but it's only a matter of luck that each is also now a contributing member, the youngest currently serving in Afghanistan. I give them due credit for "taking care of business" a (a refrain they surely grew tired of hearing from us).

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Since: Nov 07

Bakersfield, CA

#181445 Aug 24, 2014
edit:

Under Decriminalized marijuana and/or other drugs should read:

Etc., as the list is not limited to those 4 issues.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Manhattan Beach, CA

#181446 Aug 24, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Oh man. That horse likes to eat. Let me guess - 12 mpg in the summer, 8 in the winter? That's about what our F350 dumper gets with the plow on, a ton of rock in the back, and the hubs locked in.
Oddly for a truck that big, it only has a 17 gal tank, so it doesn't >feel< as bad at the pump, you just gotta do it more.
On the subject of eating, how about this:

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—G.O.P. chief Reince Priebus ripped President Obama on Sunday for consuming three meals a day while on vacation in Martha’s Vineyard.

“With international crises boiling over in Iraq, Syria, and Ukraine, it’s unconscionable that the President is having breakfast, lunch, and dinner,” he said.

The White House defended the President’s eating habits, noting that his predecessor, George W. Bush, frequently supplemented his three meals a day with an afternoon snack, but Priebus was unmoved by this argument.“It sends a very dangerous message to our enemies to see President Obama eating,” he said.

“The future begins”

every moment

#181447 Aug 24, 2014
bad bob wrote:
edit:
Under Decriminalized marijuana and/or other drugs should read:
Etc., as the list is not limited to those 4 issues.
Wha.....?

“The future begins”

every moment

#181448 Aug 24, 2014
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Bingo. I've found more than anything else while perhaps corny attitude is the biggest thing.
Missed this.

I don't think it's corny at all, and I agree 100%, and I do so without the use of a single judgicon.

Attitude is altitude.

“The future begins”

every moment

#181449 Aug 24, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
On the subject of eating, how about this:
WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—G.O.P. chief Reince Priebus ripped President Obama on Sunday for consuming three meals a day while on vacation in Martha’s Vineyard.
“With international crises boiling over in Iraq, Syria, and Ukraine, it’s unconscionable that the President is having breakfast, lunch, and dinner,” he said.
The White House defended the President’s eating habits, noting that his predecessor, George W. Bush, frequently supplemented his three meals a day with an afternoon snack, but Priebus was unmoved by this argument.“It sends a very dangerous message to our enemies to see President Obama eating,” he said.
I ate some chips today during the LLWS in support of the Messiah.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Manhattan Beach, CA

#181450 Aug 24, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>I ate some chips today during the LLWS in support of the Messiah.
Sorry about the S. Korea win....

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

#181451 Aug 24, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Wha.....?
Fairly simple. Do I really need to s'plain it to you Lucy?

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#181452 Aug 24, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Likewise here. I have no patience for those that don't try. Everything around me was earned thru my work, and it took a lifetime so far.

I suggest working for yourself. You may still end up with nothing more than a rusty rake but at least success or failure would be on your terms. My plan was to pick a state where one could earn a lot of money for ones efforts,NY for instance. Unfortunately the cost of living there is a serious drag on your bottom line.My solution was do business there but live elsewhere. Unconventional? Yes. Did it work? An emphatic YES!!!

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

#181453 Aug 24, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Have we been arguing? Didn't feel that way from this end.....
OK, change the term "arguing" to whatever suits you. Does that make the response any less
strange?

Oh and your clever strategy to spin the gist of the issue away from it's true sense won't work, ricky.

You knew EXACTLY what I meant, but chose to spray fog, instead of actually answering the question. Another ploy duly noted. Hope you're keeping track of these!

“Help Cecil Help!”

Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

#181454 Aug 24, 2014
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Two hours ago I asked you why you had not responded to the issue of the judgicons.
But you've apparently switched to your "ignore mode".
First, can you tell me why I should answer YOUR questions in detail, when you choose to not even post a passing comment on both the original response, AND the reminder 2 hours ago?
Second, don't you find it just a LEETLE bit strange that you've been arguing back and forth with
a junkyard DOG lolling idly on the porch?
I see you're still yammering on about the judgicons.

Okay, then, since you really want to talk about it - WHO exactly would think my disclaimers were mean?

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

#181455 Aug 24, 2014
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>I see you're still yammering on about the judgicons.
Okay, then, since you really want to talk about it - WHO exactly would think my disclaimers were mean?
Yammering?? Ooooookay!

All I was looking for was a response /opinion to what I said about the "mean" icon probably referring to the disclaimers rather than the Navy Hero. But it was ignored, not just by ricky, but by you too. Course, being contrarians, I should've known neither of you could agree with my assessment. That'd be unethical.

The ebb & flow of this thread will NOT work if some of the main characters routinely avoid or ignore msgs that "they" may consider not in their best interests to answer. Just recently, you pressed someone, Newsflash IIRC, to answer a question YOU thought was being ignored.

----------
I have NO way of knowing "exactly", "probably", "likely", or "possibly" who the person was. Unless he/she decides to come forward, it's an ANONYMOUS board, Webley.

“Help Cecil Help!”

Lafayette IN

#181456 Aug 24, 2014
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Yammering?? Ooooookay!
All I was looking for was a response /opinion to what I said about the "mean" icon probably referring to the disclaimers rather than the Navy Hero. But it was ignored, not just by ricky, but by you too. Course, being contrarians, I should've known neither of you could agree with my assessment. That'd be unethical.
The ebb & flow of this thread will NOT work if some of the main characters routinely avoid or ignore msgs that "they" may consider not in their best interests to answer. Just recently, you pressed someone, Newsflash IIRC, to answer a question YOU thought was being ignored.
----------
I have NO way of knowing "exactly", "probably", "likely", or "possibly" who the person was. Unless he/she decides to come forward, it's an ANONYMOUS board, Webley.
So ... you know enough to think somebody might have thought the disclaimers were 'mean', but you have no idea WHY they might have thought them mean.
Does that about cover it?

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

#181457 Aug 24, 2014
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>So ... you know enough to think somebody might have thought the disclaimers were 'mean', but you have no idea WHY they might have thought them mean.
Does that about cover it?
Uhh NO!

Better go back and see what you asked me just 2 hours ago, old man.

“Help Cecil Help!”

Lafayette IN

#181458 Aug 24, 2014
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Uhh NO!
Better go back and see what you asked me just 2 hours ago, old man.
My bad.

Who exactly blah blah blah was about the worst way for me to put the question.

What is it you think somebody else might have found 'mean' about the disclaimers, bob?

“The future begins”

every moment

#181459 Aug 24, 2014
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, change the term "arguing" to whatever suits you. Does that make the response any less
strange?
Oh and your clever strategy to spin the gist of the issue away from it's true sense won't work, ricky.
You knew EXACTLY what I meant, but chose to spray fog, instead of actually answering the question. Another ploy duly noted. Hope you're keeping track of these!
Let's see if I got the picture.

You don't consider the platform underlying your political stance to be important enough to be able to relay it, even briefly, in response to a non-combative inquiry,

but

your panties are all wedged up over whether I concur with your assessment of some silly judgits, which I've made plain are of no interest to me in themselves?

The "traditionalist" sense of priority is an ongoing mystery to me.

Yes, bob, it seems to me pretty obvious that the mysterious "they" took umbrance at the disclaimer. Either that or they really hate the Navy?

Brilliant deduction, Watson. Brilliant. You da man.

My question as to "why" remains unanswered. There was no reference to anyone here, living or dead, nor to any political party or particular ideology. So, I wondered at the time, why would someone possibly take issue with the disclaimer, Dr. Watson?

And the fact is, that was so yesterday. I'm totally bored with the subject tonight.

“The future begins”

every moment

#181460 Aug 24, 2014
Freebird USA wrote:
<quoted text>
I suggest working for yourself. You may still end up with nothing more than a rusty rake but at least success or failure would be on your terms. My plan was to pick a state where one could earn a lot of money for ones efforts,NY for instance. Unfortunately the cost of living there is a serious drag on your bottom line.My solution was do business there but live elsewhere. Unconventional? Yes. Did it work? An emphatic YES!!!
That's good advice, and I appreciate it, but I'm heavily invested in my career, and my retirement plan. I am fortunate in that I love my work, most days, am relatively autonomous, and have a great crew. It's been a long road to get here, and therefore I agree totally that I have no patience for malingerers and whiners.

The point originally was, how we came from the same humble beginnings, worked up out of it, and yet developed different senses of the social contract along the way. That's America, bay-bee!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 35 min Johnny 447,265
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 2 hr Bongo 71,119
Simpson made morgue's embalmer's job......"easy" 2 hr Doctor REALITY 1
James Comey's conflicted TWO FACES 2 hr Doctor REALITY 33
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 hr Liam 699,305
Should I get shoes for long distance gf? 3 hr chard64 1
Gf spends way too much money on online shopping 3 hr ford79 1
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 7 hr nanoanomaly 994,961